• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV - Are we the only family that...

I love AKV (both Kidani and Jambo as well). I can't say that I ever disliked any DVC or WDW resort that I've stayed at. To me, there positive qualities unique to each of them.

(Okay, so I'm in no rush to ever stay at POP, but I'm sure it has it's pluses.) ;)

We Love AKV. I certainly understand that everyone has their favorites and we all have some different things that we like and dislike. That is great and it is wonderful that there are many options and choices. However, if you were so upset you were in tears due to the decor or the hallways, well I'm sorry but I think some of the problem might be you. Your expectations are off or you spending too much effort on finding flaws or something. You dont' like the layout or the decor or the theme or whatever. Fine, nothing wrong with that. But tears?

I've never quite understood people that go to WDW and then complain about the walk to their room. The walk from the bus or car to your hotel room is the LEAST amount of walking you do all day, probably less than from the vehicle/bus to the park front gate! We can't have large, immersive themed resorts AND a quick few steps from your car. You gotta pick one. Look at the parking lot view complaints at BLT. SSR or OKW are great for short walks to your room. :thumbsup2

However, if you were so upset you were in tears due to the decor or the hallways, well I'm sorry but I think some of the problem might be you. Your expectations are off or you spending too much effort on finding flaws or something. You dont' like the layout or the decor or the theme or whatever. Fine, nothing wrong with that. But tears?
A little harsh, no?

I guess you misunderstood my post. I was almost in tears because I felt horrible that I did not love the resort, not because of the decor, walk to the room etc. No effort in finding flaws, just didn't feel the magic.

Please read and understand a post before saying such negative things about another person. Thank you.

Dh an I own at BCV and AKV...a few years ago Dh always insisted that BCV would always be his favorite. Hmmm, 2 years ago we stayed at AKV for 1 week (Food and Wine time), then moved to BCV for a week. DH missed Kidani so much that he said that he would prefer to always stay there.

We love Kidani, we love the decor, the architecture, the animals, the artwork, all the daily offerings.

I'm actually kind of happy that some don't because it will make it easier for us to get the rooms we want when we want them. :)

It's all good, everyone has different tastes, there's not a 'right and wrong', just personal taste. Thankfully DVC has many different 'styles' to fit many different people.

But... did you see the animals outside your room!?!?

We LOVE AK and cannot wait to return!

Sorry it wasn't for you, but that's why there's other choices. :goodvibes

- Dreams

:) We bought AKV sight unseen. Luckily we love Kidani and it is definitely home. My home has the same low lighting and dark colors. I married a DVC purist and he will not stay anywhere else. Our next trip will be our first to Jambo in a value studio. I am anxious to try it out becasue while I love AKV, the noise at Jambo is a bit of a turn off for me. I guess because we work all year, I want Disney peace and quiet when I vacation there. But on the other hand the value rooms gave use enough points for a week this past May.

I can't imagine staying off property....now those folks are pitiful :cool2:

Just kidding, just kindding, just kidding...:wave2:

really disliked it? We disliked it so much that we checked out a day early to head to the Vero Beach Resort.

I am not one to complain about hotels/resorts that I was almost in tears discussing it with the CM that was helping me check out and reserve VB. I felt so bad.

Now, I know the things we disliked were minor but I thought I would share.

The rooms are very dark and dreary.

The rooms are so far away from the lobby. Lots of walking and getting lost. There is not enough signage in the halls.

Parking was terrible. The parking is under the building and one night we came back from a night at MK and there was no parking in any section of the garage. Looking for parking for 20 minutes is crazy, especially coming back from the parks at night with tired children. Then having to walk so far to your room. Ugh! We were told we could valet the car or park in short term.

Walking to the pool. There are only 2 ways to get there. Walking through the parking garage or out of the front lobby. Just seemed wierd to me.

The van to and from Jambo. This is a great service except when people us the van to pool hop. My husband sat down one night and got soaking wet. Thank god we were coming from dinner or else it would have been a miserable time.

It seemed like every guest I passed in the halls was complaining about the walking. I also mentioned to a CM that we did not like it there and they responded that Disney has realized the design flaws.

Like I said, I know these things are minor. I am glad that we experienced Kidani but will not be staying there again. We loved seeing the animals off the balcony and enjoyed the pool and kids area. The things we disliked just out weigh the things we did.

Yes.

JK but we LOVED it.

No, not harsh, just giving another honest perspective. Sometimes people are way too emotionally invested in small details. I didn't like BLT much but it didn't ruin my trip or cause me to cry or even make me check out early. I was still on vacation at WDW.

Don't be too sensitive, especially when you post in a discusssion forum cause you may occassionally get another opinion or perspective than your own. :thumbsup2

A little harsh, no?

I guess you misunderstood my post. I was almost in tears because I felt horrible that I did not love the resort, not because of the decor, walk to the room etc. No effort in finding flaws, just didn't feel the magic.

Please read and understand a post before saying such negative things about another person. Thank you.

No, not harsh, just giving another honest perspective. Sometimes people are way too emotionally invested in small details. I didn't like BLT much but it didn't ruin my trip or cause me to cry or even make me check out early. I was still on vacation at WDW.

Don't be too sensitive, especially when you post in a discusssion forum cause you may occassionally get another opinion or perspective than your own. :thumbsup2

I never said it ruined my trip or made me cry because I didnt like it. As the matter of fact, we had an awesome trip. I just didnt care for the resort.

Why shouldnt I be able to check availability and move to a resort that I love? I hear many people doing that or even changing rooms since they are not happy with location, room set up, etc.

Sensitive of others opinions? I think its obvious that I am not. I posted that I didnt love the resort and most of the people that responded on this thread love it. Did I argue with any of their opinions? No, not at all. As the matter of fact, I am happy that people love it.

I just said you were harsh by your post saying it was me who was the problem.

I am slightly nervous about our Kidani stay in November as I usually like to stay near activity and the hustle and bustle of the lobby, and I usually prefer bright rooms...but I think the animals will be awesome and my kids will love seeing them when they wake up each morning. I am excited for the different decor for a change...I just hope I can see enough to do my makeup and put my contacts in ;) Also very excited for the pool (hope the weather cooperates!) and to try Sanaa!

I could put in my contacts and make up easily. But I do bring a little compact mirror (quite frankly I can't see that well to put on my contacts that distance between the mirror and sink no matter how good or bad the lighting is) So bring a little mirror and you can move around if need be.

Waking up and seeing those beautiful animals right outside your sliding glass door is incredible and well worth some of the other less desirable features of the resort (distance from parks, length of walk when you are at the resort) I think.

I am slightly nervous about our Kidani stay in November as I usually like to stay near activity and the hustle and bustle of the lobby, and I usually prefer bright rooms...but I think the animals will be awesome and my kids will love seeing them when they wake up each morning. I am excited for the different decor for a change...I just hope I can see enough to do my makeup and put my contacts in ;) Also very excited for the pool (hope the weather cooperates!) and to try Sanaa!

Maybe request a room closer to the lobby. I also did not have any problems with my makeup but I tend to not wear a lot on vacation.

It seems the majority loves the resort so please do not let my thread make you nervous.

We just stayed as Kidani for first time in June and loved it. We loved the dark decor, it's easy on the eyes. I also loved the underground parking. Even on those nights when it was hard to find a spot near our Rafiki elevator, it was still no big deal. Nice to not have to get in/out of the car in the hot sun or pouring rain. Plus vehicle stays considerably cooler out of the sun.

Also loved the decor so much throughout the resort we're actually putting together an Africa wall in our home with stuff we bought at Jambo and AK gift shops. Plus the pool area is so nice, lots of trees. A lot of people don't like the remoteness of the place but I thought that was another perk. We're definitely staying there again next year and I'm actually going to reduce park time for more resort time. :thumbsup2

We are an "older" DVC family. Daughter 40,Goddaughter 21, and me 60. We love Kidani and it works for us because of the space. You tried AKL and it did not work. If I had young kids AKL might not work for me all the time. Stay where the amenities (transportation, pool, parking, etc.) are geared to the type of vacation you want for your family. DVC has so many options, something for everybody.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter