AK partial day with senior mom

LSK

Mouseketeer
My mom and I run a company together and will be in Orlando in about 3 weeks for a conference. We have about 5 hours one day to enjoy the parks and I was thinking of taking her to AK as she's never been. We should be in the park from about 12:30-5:30. Mom is in her 70's and gets around pretty well but her pace is much slower than when I take my kids so I want to be mindful of that. I definitely want to take her on Kilimanjaro Safaris, would love to take her on FOP but there is no way we will get a FP at this point. I'd really like some input on my very loose plan: Make an ADR for one of the AKL sit down restaurants, then head to AK. FP KS then walk through the Pandora area and catch Festival of Lion King.

Should I scrap AKL and just take her to Nomad Lounge? She would like the atmosphere at AKL but I may be trying to cram too much in. Mom isn't a big Disney fan and thinks it a place for kids but she wants to go with me as she knows I love it. I want to show her some aspects of the park that I think she would really enjoy...animals, a show, and nice dining. Our last conference in Orlando was 3 years ago and I took her to Food & Wine which was eye opening for her and has prompted her to ask me to take her into the parks again.

PS I feel really guilty calling her a senior. She would die if she saw my thread title. Shhh, don't tell her.

My mom and I run a company together and will be in Orlando in about 3 weeks for a conference. We have about 5 hours one day to enjoy the parks and I was thinking of taking her to AK as she's never been. We should be in the park from about 12:30-5:30. Mom is in her 70's and gets around pretty well but her pace is much slower than when I take my kids so I want to be mindful of that. I definitely want to take her on Kilimanjaro Safaris,

1. would love to take her on FOP but there is no way we will get a FP at this point.

I'd really like some input on my very loose plan: Make an ADR for one of the AKL sit down restaurants, then head to AK. FP KS then
2. walk through the Pandora area and catch Festival of Lion King.

1. There's no way to know that unless you keep trying, especially as the date gets very near.
2. That will be fine just about any time of day.

My mom and I run a company together and will be in Orlando in about 3 weeks for a conference. We have about 5 hours one day to enjoy the parks and I was thinking of taking her to AK as she's never been. We should be in the park from about 12:30-5:30. Mom is in her 70's and gets around pretty well but her pace is much slower than when I take my kids so I want to be mindful of that. I definitely want to take her on Kilimanjaro Safaris, would love to take her on FOP but there is no way we will get a FP at this point. I'd really like some input on my very loose plan: Make an ADR for one of the AKL sit down restaurants, then head to AK. FP KS then walk through the Pandora area and catch Festival of Lion King.

Should I scrap AKL and just take her to Nomad Lounge? She would like the atmosphere at AKL but I may be trying to cram too much in. Mom isn't a big Disney fan and thinks it a place for kids but she wants to go with me as she knows I love it. I want to show her some aspects of the park that I think she would really enjoy...animals, a show, and nice dining. Our last conference in Orlando was 3 years ago and I took her to Food & Wine which was eye opening for her and has prompted her to ask me to take her into the parks again.

PS I feel really guilty calling her a senior. She would die if she saw my thread title. Shhh, don't tell her.

I took my “senior” parents (70s) to DAK last month. Typical late July hot-as-heck day in DAK.

Our timeline was opposite of yours as we arrived 9:30’ish. We did Pandora, the Safari, some other odds and ends, but I could tell by that point they were getting too hot/tired to get much more mileage out of them.

We didn’t have an ADR but walked-up to Tiffins and were seated <5 mins. I’m a Tiffins fan to begin with, but I must say the 1+hour meal in the ice-cold air conditioning was exactly what my parents wanted at that moment. It was the perfect “pause” to cool off, enjoy a quality meal, and gear up for a bit more park time afterwards.

None of that really directly applies to your situation as you’re arriving at lunch, but the point is I’d vote for something like Nomad Lounge as you were thinking, or Tiffins if so inclined.

BTW, keep searching for FoP FPs the day before and day of - with 2 people, if you refresh enough you have at least a small/moderate chance of getting a FP to pop up.

I would skip the AKL meal as it will take up so much of your time. I have actually scored FoP FP+ day-of, so there is always hope. Nav'i, atmospherically, is also quite nice, so if FoP doesn't happen, I would at least snag a FP+ for that if available. Personally, I would try for FoP (Nav'i) if you can't get it, plan on Nomad Lounge (no ADR required, lovely atmosphere, great drinks/food and you can order off the Tiffins menu if you'd like), do KS with a FP+ and try to do the Lion King and Nemo shows. If time allows, you can walk some animal trails, get a closer look at the Tree of Life or catch one of the musical shows that take place throughout the park (check the times guide).

I would just stick with going to the park. Also, remember that AK is the hardest park to get around in; meaning, there are more "hills" and uneven pavement. It's also the most humid.

I would try for the Na'vi River Journey instead of FoP, but that's just my opinion. Maybe get a sit-down restaurant in AK, and then save Nomad Lounge for a break... or plan on going to the Lounge twice should it get too hot, or if your mom gets too wore down. Safari and Lion King sound good (as long as she doesn't mind getting bounced around on the Safari). If you wind up with time, and you want to go check out AKL, maybe grab a dessert there.

At first I misread your sentence as being there FOR three weeks and I was pretty jealous :P

It's going to be hella hot in three weeks and strong chance of rain in the afternoon, definitely keep that in mind. I was just on a trip with my mom and I had us walk 3/4 of a mile to breakfast. It got really hot and it was a bit much for her, I felt bad! She's super active but she's also 80, lol.

If you want to give a specific date, I'll be glad to run your plan through Touring Plans and see what they say. It will give the amount of walking time in minutes and let you know if they think you might not get to everything.

I’m going to go in a different direction here. I’d go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge instead of the park. Plan lunch at Sana’a (take the shuttle between the buildings). Lots of animal viewing opportunities, lots of art and “stuff” to look at, CM’s to talk to, and mostly in air conditioning. I am an active 69 year old and would enjoy this instead of being in the heat and possible rain.

I have scored back to back same day FP for FOP on my last trip. If you familiarize yourself with refreshing I think your chances are decent to get one. There could be some openings before then but the same day is when a lot of people are switching plans last minute and only having 2 people helps as well. Out of curiosity since I have passes I checked for today and in under 5 minutes of refreshing for 2 people saw FOP show up twice with different times and NRJ show up quite a few times. There always seems to be the most movement of FP openings in the morning so I would not wait until you get to the park to try.

I agree with the suggestion to go to Nomad Lounge and skip going to the Lodge, it's much better for your time constraint.

Beyond that, I think your plan is good. Fastpass the Safari, walk some of the animal trails. Tour Pandora and if you can't get a FOP FP (I would try day of, you may luck out), then go Na'vi River instead. Lion King show for sure and Nemo, if you can fit it in.

Thank you all! I really appreciate the advice and look forward to showing mom some pieces of Animal Kingdom I know she'll love.

They just released late entry tickets that are a bit cheaper. Since you’re not going til after 12, if you don’t already have tickets that may be a good option for you.

Just turned 70 this summer. I would go on Safari ride, just not in the back rows, bumpy. I'd keep trying to get a FP for FoP, just wonderful! Also Festival of Lion King is in the same area. I think Nomad Lounge is around there too. Any way you decide, have a great time!

Last edited:
Hey, and don't give up on a Flight of Passage FP - I scored one on the bus form Epcot to MK a couple of weeks ago. It is possible - refresh, refresh, refresh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter