Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

I would love to know how you manage the 2 car seats + stroller (assuming you travel with one?) + luggage for 6 people while getting through the airport! We used Lansky last time (they were awesome!), because we could not fathom how my DH would carry 2 car seats + 2 big suitcases (while I push the 2 littles in the stroller). My kids are a bit older now, so we only need 1 car seat for our next trip, but I still don’t know how DH could carry even 1 car seat plus the 2 suitcases. I’ll still be pushing both kids in the double stroller because the 7 year old is the worst for whining about walking and I just don’t want to deal with it while on vacation! Also, what is the actual law in Cali regarding when a child can go into a booster? Would love to be able to take a booster for the 4 year old (the 7 year old will have one too), but she’s not 40lbs yet so not sure if it’s allowed.

hahaha well it's all very character building and also we go to the gym a lot :) but really, the double stroller folds up in a large padded bag that is moderately heavy (50 lbs?) but mostly awkward and big - it has a strap, so my husband carries that on his back. we can usually fit a booster with a carseat in each carseat bag, and those also have straps - I usually throw both of those on my back. we each wheel two suitcases with hands, sometimes the 3 year old is in a backpack leash that I hold with a hand, the baby is strapped to me in a Tula, the 5 and 8 year old wheel their own suitcases. it's an enormous circus and we're all very sweaty by the end but it works!

also @Glynis4 I seem to remember looking at car seat laws, and I don't think there's a specific age/weight for boosters, just that they have to have something under 8yo and they should be mature enough to sit in a non-harnessed seat.

We are flying into SNA and out of LAX, staying at Disneyland Hotel, 11/17-11/20.

Disneyland Express has recent poor reviews, so I am looking at Super Shuttle and would consider another.

I see Prime Time and Karmel shuttles listed on a thread.

I am open to Uber/Lyft but concerned about flexible cost and about leaving things up to chance especially on the return flight. And we are trying to get a good park day on our arrival day - flight arrives at 10 am.

We aren't planning a park day on departure day - the time zone difference makes for a long flight.

I am a WDW vet but haven't been to DLR in 35 years. I am out of my comfort zone so please be gentle.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

We always take a taxi. If you are mostly concerned with budget this is probably not the cheapest option (I want to say $35-40 each way) but it is so convenient. Super easy to get a taxi at SNA and the DL hotel. I will never take a shared shuttle again after someone accidentally took my suitcase years ago. Luckily I got it back but that stress was not worth saving some $.

ETA: just noticed you are leaving out of LAX! No advice there since I’ve never used that airport for DL.

Last edited:

Another vote for a taxi. $35~$40 regardless of how many people (even a van full) or luggage.
There's no faster way to the resort area.

Taxi..... walk out of terminal and there they are, waiting. I have read in other threads about a flat rate $29 from SNA to DLR area. I did see it on a yellow cab Anaheim website, but it is not widely advertised. Worth checking into and asking when you get to the taxi area.
Lots of shuttles that are easy to take with no reservation. they load up and go, but.... they often wait until full and you can be the last to be dropped off...… not time efficient !

Uber/Lyft. Cheaper and convenient. We've done it multiple times; even with surge pricing it's cheap, like $25 - 30. Less if it's your first ride and you download a coupon for your first ride. I've had bad experiences with shared shuttles; last time I spent two hours roaming all over Garden Grove while they dropped off the other passengers; I was the LAST one dropped off at a Harbor hotel right across from the gate.

My family are cavemen who have no clue how Uber/Lyft work, so we've always used Super Shuttle. You can book a private shuttle for added cost, but it's worth it to me to not have to worry about other peoples' drop-offs. However, for the SNA leg of your trip, I'd do California Yellow Cab. They have a $29 flat rate from SNA to Disneyland (advertised here: http://www.californiayellowcab.com/sna/). More modern humans tell me that that is in line with what Uber/Lyft costs. Then I'd probably book a one-way private Super Shuttle back to LAX.

I took the Disneyland express and it was great. I wasn't staying at a Disneyland resort, and they can drop you off near the Disneyland adjacent resorts in Anaheim (Hilton or Sheraton). The drivers in both directions were very helpful.

However, it was difficult to locate the bus when they picked up at the hotel for the return to LAX - due to the wrap/decorations it looks like a bus that is going to one of the parks, and it did not pick up at the spot where I was told to meet it. This was confusing for a lot of passengers, not just me, so I was not the only one who almost missed it. Just be sure to confirm where they stop, and look at the headliner on the front of the bus (but keep in mind that some of them are difficult to see or they scroll, which can be confusing too) 🚌

I took an Uber back to LAX (actually I cant remember if it was Uber or lift I pulled both up and went with whichever was cheaper). It was really convenient because then I could leave whenever I was ready and I didn’t have to make any extra stops. Just give yourself a LOT of time to get to the airport.

I think every pretty much every shuttle service from LAX to DL as bad reviews... at least that’s what I found out during my research last year.
I went with the Disneyland Resort express and really liked it! Pick up was pretty much on time both ways (maybe 5min late at LAX)... and for our group of 3 it is cheaper than a private shuttle... especially after applying a discount code...

And I am just to old fashioned for lyft/Uber I guess... :rolleyes1

I took the Disneyland Express--it was great going from SNA, though it only runs once an hour so depends on whether your flight timing works out. Going back to SNA was kind of stressful leaving from a non-Disney hotel. They were ~10 minutes late, which isn't so bad, but a couple Disneyland Express buses passed me in those 10 minutes, and I was the only one waiting, so I was starting to panic that they had forgotten me :P Would probably take Lyft next time since it's not much more expensive...

Thinking about booking a shuttle to LAX. Midwilshuttle has amazing reviews and the Price is Right. 75.00 for a private van

Anyone use them before?

I took an Uber back to LAX (actually I cant remember if it was Uber or lift I pulled both up and went with whichever was cheaper). It was really convenient because then I could leave whenever I was ready and I didn’t have to make any extra stops. Just give yourself a LOT of time to get to the airport.

what is "a lot" of time to get to LAX?
we have a 3:10 flight home ... I was thinking of being at the curb and calling for the Lyft at noon.
Could I push it a little longer?
thanks!

we have a 3:10 flight home ... I was thinking of being at the curb and calling for the Lyft at noon.
thanks!
Noon is good. I wouldn’t push it more than that. It may take 1.5 hrs or more to get to LAX. I went during rush hr and it took 2. On the upside security really wasn’t bad like I expected.

This past July we flew into SNA grabbed our luggage walked out and grabbed a taxi, so nice and easy. We did uber from knotts to the Grand and it was horrible the car was not clean inside or out and it took forever to get there. For the trip back to the airport the bell desk called a taxi and it was there in 2 minutes.

thanks!

Last summer (Labor Day weekend) on a Sunday we left the Candy Cane Inn at noon to get to LAX for a 330p flight. Made a stop at the firehouse from the old 1970's Emergency TV show for a couple pics, quick fill up near LAX, returned the rental car, and took the shuttle to the terminal. I don't remember the exact time we were back at LAX but I don't think it was much later then 1p and there was no traffic. We have pre-check so security was a piece of cake and we had still plenty of time to sit down eat and look at a couple of the shops in the terminal.

Thanks! Great information. Good points on saving money vs time, sharing vs not sharing transportation. This is a short trip so time is important!

I like the $29 cab ride from SNA, so I think that we will go that route.

I will look for something direct to LAX like Lyft or Uber or the private Super Shuttle. And it sounds like an hour is enough time to get to LAX in the middle of the day (1 PM flight, so I figured that we should leave the resort around 10 am).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: EmJ
LAX pros:
What can we really expect flying *out* of LAX? I get the horror stories but here are specifics on a Sunday:

Sunday: 5:00 PM departure non-holiday
Uber from DL Resort to departures
Alaska Air Web check-in with bags tagged for bag drop
TSA Pre-Check
Youngest kid 10+. Savings for family = $220

Is it really that bad? We are very familiar with SNA/LGB (arrival is SNA). Considering the dark side LAX due to departure time/savings. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter