Airmiles Armchair Chatter

And actually, for those who have experience in this area, what would your thoughts be on 2240 AM for a round trip ticket (Ottawa to Orlando), low season (Nov 24-29), direct one way (no direct flights offered by AC or WJ on my preferred dates), plus $150 for taxes and fees? I am trying to do the math and right now I can get the 2 tickets for $800, so am torn on if 4480 AM plus $300 is really that good a savings...

If you're saving $500 for 4480 AM, that puts the "value" of your miles at just over 11 cents/mile. Cash miles are worth about 10.5 cents/mile, so you're a little ahead of that mark. You could probably do better (eg. Universal tickets are listed on Undercover Tourist at US $263, and available for 2425AM - a value of just under 11 cents US, or around 13.5 Canadian cents/mile at current exchange), but you could certainly do worse too. So I think it just depends on whether you'd rather spend the cash now and keep the miles for a better "deal", or save your money now. IMO neither would be a "bad" choice.

Again, that is fabulous pigletto! For your hotel, do you have experience with skyauction, Silver Lake resort or both? I took a look and our dates are available, so was wondering if you have gone there before or if you are trying them out for the first time...
I do have experience with Skyauction. I have used the "Buy it Now" feature twice before. You want to make sure to read the listing ALL the way through to get your end price. There is often add on fees for certain check in dates, a larger unit, and various admin fees. Just make sure to add that all together to get the total price. You will also see it before you agree to charge your credit card so just make sure to pay attention to the total.

Silver Lake is new to me. I read enough reviews that I am comfortable. We needed a large unit to accomadate seven of us, and the location couldn't be beat (4 minutes to the Animal Kingdom parking lot). I would be happy to provide a detailed review when I get back if you'd like. We've stayed at both Bonnet Creek and Sheraton Vistana before. Those are two I would highly recommend, but they are popular and Skyauction charges more for them (still way less than full price ).

Last edited:
For those watching flights, there is a sale on Air Canada seats through Air Miles right now, I think it said 20% fewer AMs required. I was able to find the flights I have been watching for November, at a decent price (I think, at least better than I have seen in my watch) and the direct flights were available for the late-November days I was looking at. So take a look if you are watching flights! I only have enough AM for one round-trip ticket, about halfway to the second for my daughter so don't think I can take advantage of it.

And actually, for those who have experience in this area, what would your thoughts be on 2240 AM for a round trip ticket (Ottawa to Orlando), low season (Nov 24-29), direct one way (no direct flights offered by AC or WJ on my preferred dates), plus $150 for taxes and fees? I am trying to do the math and right now I can get the 2 tickets for $800, so am torn on if 4480 AM plus $300 is really that good a savings...

The value on your AM is good and you're not out of pocket $500 in cash at this time, is another way to look at it. I am patiently waiting for that infamous direct flight home to open up for my return trip. It's there for the week before I want it but not the one I need it. 1260 AM is what I'm looking at for my flights, one way, (that includes a 25% discount, thanks CC) low season.

Well I had a productive early morning morning at Safeway. Spent $116 and got 520 AM.
For those of you that received your Wonderland tickets..did it show shipped on your order? Mine still says shipment details not available. Hoping they were sent. We leave next Wed for southern Ontario and if we get them will go for sure.

We have had to amend our dates from Jan 27-Feb 7 to Feb 1-12...ugh. All of the flights I'm seeing, that are only 1 stop, are starting at $500+ return. In January, they were around $400+ return.

I can't decide if I want to switch back to Dream miles and use those for my flights. I still have lots of time to monitor, I just hate when "plans" change. It's part of my super organized mentality. :)

Well I had a productive early morning morning at Safeway. Spent $116 and got 520 AM.
For those of you that received your Wonderland tickets..did it show shipped on your order? Mine still says shipment details not available. Hoping they were sent. We leave next Wed for southern Ontario and if we get them will go for sure.
That's what mine is saying as well however we received them already. Hopefully yours will be in todays mail. :)

Haven't seen this posted, but a heads up that Amex looks like they're doing another Soar into More promo starting August 1. I still haven't received my 400 AM from the last promotion, so I just went to the previous website to check out any info that still might be there re when I should expect to get said AM's and was sent to this page:

https://soarintomore.americanexpress.ca/enrollment/enrollmentover

I haven't read it in detail, but it looks like you can earn up to 500 AM bu shopping ONLINE and logging into the AMEX app.

Does anyone know when the 400 AM are supposed to be posted by from the last promo?

Does anyone know where the best place to buy Visa gift cards is (to get airmiles?) right now? Is there a bonus with Shell? Or should I just go to Sobeys?

Does anyone know where the best place to buy Visa gift cards is (to get airmiles?) right now? Is there a bonus with Shell? Or should I just go to Sobeys?
I don't think you get AM for buying gift cards at Sobeys. I didn't get any last time I bought LCBO gift cards there and I went to the one which used to give AM on LCBO gift cards. Got a bit disappointed with that purchase.

Does anyone know when the 400 AM are supposed to be posted by from the last promo?
I received mine on the first statement after I spent the $400. It was actually about two weeks into the program. I would say you should expect it on your statement, it shows there.

St Hubert makes a chicken broth and a seasoned chicken broth. Both are on buy 3 get 60AM until Aug 10 at my store at least. They have written in a limit of 6, so I pick them up regularly.
Ok I never knew they had broth too, I only knew about the soup. I am going back for that too! Thanks!

Haven't seen this posted, but a heads up that Amex looks like they're doing another Soar into More promo starting August 1. I still haven't received my 400 AM from the last promotion, so I just went to the previous website to check out any info that still might be there re when I should expect to get said AM's and was sent to this page:

I haven't read it in detail, but it looks like you can earn up to 500 AM bu shopping ONLINE and logging into the AMEX app.

DANG! I didn't get an email alerting me to this new Soar into More offer and i would have used it!

We still haven't made the threshold for the last offer (spend $200.00 at a gas station/store and get 400 AM) because we drive a FIT! Luckily the propane tank was empty (no so good for the steak that wasn't done cooking though) so that helped. We are currently $2.37 short ... wonder how they would feel about us paying for a lottery ticket with our AMEX :P

I received mine on the first statement after I spent the $400. It was actually about two weeks into the program. I would say you should expect it on your statement, it shows there.

Just called Amex and they gave the usual "give it time" speech. It's been 2 billing cycles for me and the only thing I've received is the initial 100 AM for signing up to the promo.

DANG! I didn't get an email alerting me to this new Soar into More offer and i would have used it!

We still haven't made the threshold for the last offer (spend $200.00 at a gas station/store and get 400 AM) because we drive a FIT! Luckily the propane tank was empty (no so good for the steak that wasn't done cooking though) so that helped. We are currently $2.37 short ... wonder how they would feel about us paying for a lottery ticket with our AMEX :P

Don't worry - it hasn't started yet! I thought the same thing too when I saw the page as it says the promo has ended, but actually it hasn't started yet. It starts August 1.

I don't think you get AM for buying gift cards at Sobeys. I didn't get any last time I bought LCBO gift cards there and I went to the one which used to give AM on LCBO gift cards. Got a bit disappointed with that purchase.
ok thanks...

Sooo, unlike this past Tuesday, I need to remember to go through airmilesshop when I buy at Amazon. :crazy2:

ottawamom said:
St Hubert makes a chicken broth and a seasoned chicken broth. Both are on buy 3 get 60AM until Aug 10 at my store at least. They have written in a limit of 6, so I pick them up regularly.
Watch your receipt for the soup - the Ajax Sobeys store had the soup at the front of a lane and the sign said buy 5 get 60 airmiles but the one in the soup aisle said buy 3 get 60 air miles. I didn't buy any because was just popping in for milk but I wonder if the 5 for 60 points will override the 3 for 60 points and you will have to fight with customer service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter