Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Hello all!!! We are heading home today. Currently sitting at the airport and as luck would have it our plane has arrived early. I’m feeling hopeful we will leave on time for once. We had a nice time on the cruise but I’m not convinced that it’s for us. DD has already applied for another contract so I guess we will be going again at some point because she wants one of the longer ones. For the most part she is really enjoying herself and it’s seems that literally everyone knows her. We even had people coming up to us asking if we were her parents. She said we were the only family onboard last week and the crew loves family visits.

Now the ugly part…against my better judgement I went maskless the entire week and now I’m really sick with something. I’ve got a really terrible cough. I started feeling not so well on Wednesday and it has progressively gotten worse. I don’t think I have Covid because DH is perfectly fine. I will test myself the minute I get home and then head to find a walk in clinic. I’m double masked at the airport and people are really looking at me funny. Hey, if you’d like I can take it off and hack up a lung on you. I will say that today I feel a tiny bit better. I’ve gone through and entire box of Tylenol cold pills.

We were not really fond of the food. There did not seem to be any basic options. There was nothing wrong with the food we just would have preferred simpler dishes. DD was able to have dinner with us every night. The last few nights we just ordered room service which was a lot more to our liking. We had some of DD’s friends in at various times and order room service for them when every they need a quick meal. Even one morning at 6:30…we had 4 of them squeezed in our room.

We loved our room and I think we made good use of the veranda. I took several afternoon naps out there. Im on the fence about the split bathroom. I guess it’s great for some.

The ship was beautiful and we found our way around very quickly. I was surprised that it didn’t feel bigger on the inside. I thought everything was reasonably close to us. Our room was forward but right on the end that is midship. LOL…I felt every single movement and constantly walked like I was drunk. Didn’t feel sick at all though.

Overall it was a tiring week. DD wanted us to partake in all her events and as much Pixar as week could fit in. We never even got in the pool. Although it was VERY windy for at least half the trip. So being outside was not all the pleasant. As usual I did not have the right clothes. I would have liked to have been walking around with the blanket off the bed.

@dancin Disney style Don't write off cruising! You need to go again, but make it what YOU want it to be. I love it because get the those best of both worlds.

Laze around the pool in the sun all day with getting to eat and drink whenever I want; and then have lots of evening entertainment to enjoy and get dressed up for dinner.

As for ports, we pick one port for an excursion, then the others we just get off and pick up a souvenir and shop then back on the "empty ship".

@dancin Disney style Don't write off cruising! You need to go again, but make it what YOU want it to be. I love it because get the those best of both worlds.

Laze around the pool in the sun all day with getting to eat and drink whenever I want; and then have lots of evening entertainment to enjoy and get dressed up for dinner.

As for ports, we pick one port for an excursion, then the others we just get off and pick up a souvenir and shop then back on the "empty ship".
I’m not writing it off but I knew going into it I would not like the crowded feel. That’s my biggest thing. Also, the level of entitlement was mind blowing. I would definitely prefer different dining options. I’m order for DD to have dinner with us we had to do the late ay 8:15 and that really doesn’t work for us. She thinks we eat too early at home (6-6:30) but even she found 8:15 too late.

Did they not have a buffet food option on a deck. More laid back than regular sit down meals. I'm like you l like simple food at a "normal" hour. (must be my age showing)

@dancin Disney style Please do test as soon as you get home. Two weeks ago, we got off a cruise and drove home from Fort Lauderdale with my DSis and her husband in their little car. She was coughing the whole time. We looked at each other knowingly, since 24 hours in a closed vehicle didn't produce positive vibes. When we got home she tested positive as we expected. Her DH, my DH and myself tested negative. We all tested later in the week, and we never did test positive nor did we have any symptoms. It can happen! Wishing you an easy go of it, and feeling better soon pixie dust.

Did they not have a buffet food option on a deck. More laid back than regular sit down meals. I'm like you l like simple food at a "normal" hour. (must be my age showing)
No the buffet is closed after lunch. The quick serve out by the pool closes during dinner but reopens around 9pm. Either way I’m not huge fan of buffets. I find them kind of gross…people snacking off their plates and licking their fingers. I did very much like the fact that everyone was made to wash their hands upon entry! Aside from that I only found a couple of things there that I actually liked. LOL…one day my lunch was literally like a 5yo. Mac n cheese and chicken strips.

I don’t mind fancy food….usually it’s just flowery language more than fancy food. There was a lot of fish which we don’t eat and things like pork belly. One evening there was prime rib but it was tasteless. Then throw in the server, assistant server and head waiter situation….it took a long time. I didn’t do much like the server but we loved the assistant.

I’m curious to know how many people leave additional tips in the envelopes. When I saw the break down we did not. We skipped the dining room 3 nights and took a pass on the stateroom host half the time. There is no need to clean my room twice a day. He kept asking and I told him we were fine and to take a little break….he also knew we were family onboard.

I haven't sailed Disney before, so maybe it's a different vibe from mainstream cruise lines...?
It has to be a different vibe for sure. It was chaos at times and very busy
@dancin Disney style Please do test as soon as you get home. Two weeks ago, we got off a cruise and drove home from Fort Lauderdale with my DSis and her husband in their little car. She was coughing the whole time. We looked at each other knowingly, since 24 hours in a closed vehicle didn't produce positive vibes. When we got home she tested positive as we expected. Her DH, my DH and myself tested negative. We all tested later in the week, and we never did test positive nor did we have any symptoms. It can happen! Wishing you an easy go of it, and feeling better soon pixie dust.
I tested negative thankfully and since I’ve been full blown dying since Wednesday I think it’s accurate. I tried 8 walk in clinics today but everything was closed. I’m not feeling up to going and sitting in emerg for several hours. I will try again tomorrow. I think safe to say I’m not going back to work for a few more days.

No the buffet is closed after lunch. The quick serve out by the pool closes during dinner but reopens around 9pm. Either way I’m not huge fan of buffets. I find them kind of gross…people snacking off their plates and licking their fingers. I did very much like the fact that everyone was made to wash their hands upon entry! Aside from that I only found a couple of things there that I actually liked. LOL…one day my lunch was literally like a 5yo. Mac n cheese and chicken strips.
The first time we were on a Disney cruise, DH discovered that mac and cheese and the waiter brought it to him every night after he ordered it the second time. rofl

Glad to hear you tested negative. Feel better soon!

@dancin Disney style
I'm too icky to remember where you live but fairly confident ontario - I took myself to the city Cold, Cough and Covid-19 centre, quick in and out in less than 15 minutes because thats all they deal with. I Had to call and make an appointment but it was a slick process. Doctor said I only have a really bad virus, fingers crossed hubby either gets it quickly or not at all.
Check this website to see if your city is running something similar.

https://www.ontario.ca/assessment-centre-locations

I’m curious to know how many people leave additional tips in the envelopes. When I saw the break down we did not. We skipped the dining room 3 nights and took a pass on the stateroom host half the time. There is no need to clean my room twice a day. He kept asking and I told him we were fine and to take a little break….he also knew we were family onboard.
With us, it all depends on the person and cruise. We always prepay our tips to get it out of the way and work from there. We normally start by giving the room steward $20 at the beginning when he/she comes to introduce themselves. It's because I know we will request things throughout the cruise that are above and beyond, such as providing us with robes. One time they made a huge birthday cake for my sons friend on her birthday, things of that nature. Then at the end of the cruise if I feel then deserve even more, it goes in the envelope. Some people on the cruise forum get upset by this, they think it's bribery, to get better service. It really isn't about that.

As for our serving team and head server, it all depends on how the week goes. We have had teams that work so well we leave extra and have had teams where I really have to hold back from asking for the tips back, lol. At one time, when we first started cruising DCL, the only time you saw the head waiter was on the last night when he had his hand out for the envelope. Over the last few years we have seen him/her come around more often, sometimes every night, to check on how everything is. We had one who insisted he had been our server 5 years before. I said that we didn't remember but how nice he did. The man got annoyed, really annoyed, and told us he KNEW he had been our server. Okay, so? And sorry we don't remember you. All in all, we have never left extra for the head waiter. Then again, we have never asked him/her for anything extra.

For us anyway, there is no direct answer to that question. It totally depends on the service and that can differ from sailing to sailing.

Hope you feel better soon.

@dancin Disney style
I'm too icky to remember where you live but fairly confident ontario - I took myself to the city Cold, Cough and Covid-19 centre, quick in and out in less than 15 minutes because thats all they deal with. I Had to call and make an appointment but it was a slick process. Doctor said I only have a really bad virus, fingers crossed hubby either gets it quickly or not at all.
Check this website to see if your city is running something similar.

https://www.ontario.ca/assessment-centre-locations
Yep…Oakville. I had not heard of that before. I checked the list just now and there is a clinic just a few minutes from my house but they don’t open until 5pm. Hopefully I will have gotten into a walk-in clinic in the next hour or two. I was planning to head out at 9am but I’m still in bed. Guess I better get up

With us, it all depends on the person and cruise. We always prepay our tips to get it out of the way and work from there. We normally start by giving the room steward $20 at the beginning when he/she comes to introduce themselves. It's because I know we will request things throughout the cruise that are above and beyond, such as providing us with robes. One time they made a huge birthday cake for my sons friend on her birthday, things of that nature. Then at the end of the cruise if I feel then deserve even more, it goes in the envelope. Some people on the cruise forum get upset by this, they think it's bribery, to get better service. It really isn't about that.

As for our serving team and head server, it all depends on how the week goes. We have had teams that work so well we leave extra and have had teams where I really have to hold back from asking for the tips back, lol. At one time, when we first started cruising DCL, the only time you saw the head waiter was on the last night when he had his hand out for the envelope. Over the last few years we have seen him/her come around more often, sometimes every night, to check on how everything is. We had one who insisted he had been our server 5 years before. I said that we didn't remember but how nice he did. The man got annoyed, really annoyed, and told us he KNEW he had been our server. Okay, so? And sorry we don't remember you. All in all, we have never left extra for the head waiter. Then again, we have never asked him/her for anything extra.

For us anyway, there is no direct answer to that question. It totally depends on the service and that can differ from sailing to sailing.

Hope you feel better soon.
I thought I had been told that as family we did not pay the tips but I think it was just pre paid. Anyway, the head waiter got $17 and as far as I’m concerned that was decent for what he did. One night he removed my lobster from the tail and in the process splattered my top with butter. Aside from that he would stop at the table to tell us where breakfast would be the next day. Nice guy but I don’t get the point. The server got $66 and I think a good tip for 4 dinners…one of which he was clearly having an issue with another table so the assistant took over. The assistant got $58. Those tips are USD.

We had a conversation with one of DD’s friends about the tips. She has been on and off the ships for nearly 5 years. She said the servers all make serious money from the tips. The entertainment team is paid more (they are paid very well) but the servers and stateroom host walk away with easily double what entertainment makes.

We had a conversation with one of DD’s friends about the tips. She has been on and off the ships for nearly 5 years. She said the servers all make serious money from the tips. The entertainment team is paid more (they are paid very well) but the servers and stateroom host walk away with easily double what entertainment makes.
I have a friend who was a CM (worked in the shops) and they said pretty much the same. They do okay and since a lot come from poor countries, what they make in a 5 year contract period is more than most make in a lifetime.
I don't get the point of the head waiter either but there are some who would argue the dining room would fall apart without them. I hate being interrupted while I'm dining to have to talk with him/her about how things are going. Hope you can get the butter grease stain out. That can be hard if it sits to long.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

I have a friend who was a CM (worked in the shops) and they said pretty much the same. They do okay and since a lot come from poor countries, what they make in a 5 year contract period is more than most make in a lifetime.
I don't get the point of the head waiter either but there are some who would argue the dining room would fall apart without them. I hate being interrupted while I'm dining to have to talk with him/her about how things are going. Hope you can get the butter grease stain out. That can be hard if it sits to long.
Hope you are feeling better soon.
Anyone coming from DH’s country takes home approx 60x the money. We met so many of them that had been working cruises for 7-10 years. They work 9 months onboard then go home for 2. DCL pays their airfare back and forth so it’s a VERY good job for them.

A very average job in DH’s country would earn someone around $2200 CAD per year. Cost of living is completely different so you have to take that into consideration and most people live in multi generational homes. The actual homes have been passed down for generations.

This took waaay longer to finish than I had hoped but life got in the way. Was supposed to work on it over the Christmas/New Year's break but things fell apart with my mom (no changes BTW, still waiting on a bed somewhere and playing the very hard limbo game) then last week I came down with brutal virus that has put everything on hold. ANYWHO, here's what I was working on, I'm kinda impressed that I saw a picture online of something similar and created this! (looking my finest today !)
1675710777911.png
1675710800349.png
Made it to fit my phone perfectly, tall enough for my epi-pen, spot for my glasses and gift cards inside.
329669712_1390945314986774_5522488635487787076_n.jpg
329345660_525222619747051_3548899734627545114_n.jpg
328837389_1897971270560343_6850449011752363990_n.jpg

Last edited:
This took waaay longer to finish that I had hoped but life got in the way. Was supposed to work on it over the Christmas/New Year's break but things fell apart with my mom (no changes BTW, still waiting on a bed somewhere and playing the very hard limbo game) then last week I came down with brutal virus that has put everything on hold. ANYWHO, here's what I was working on, I'm kinda impressed that I saw a picture online of something similar and created this! (looking my finest today !)
View attachment 737747
View attachment 737748
Made it to fit my phone perfectly, tall enough for my epi-pen, spot for my glasses and gift cards inside.
329669712_1390945314986774_5522488635487787076_n.jpg
329345660_525222619747051_3548899734627545114_n.jpg
328837389_1897971270560343_6850449011752363990_n.jpg
That is amazing! Great work! You have a nice talent.

Well done Jacqueline, I chuckled when I saw it (cuteness chuckle). I know this one is for you but your grandson is going to have some very interesting bags etc in the coming years. Practice makes perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter