Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I didn't say anything when i made my purchases, nor did I mention it when the miles posted last night because i wanted to confirm before i shared my piece of advice for Amazon shopping. WELL, i had more miles post and I can now say, without question there is a way to double-dip your miles! Keep a running balance on a gift card in your profile and when it comes time to actually complete your transaction first use your credit card to reload your gift card with the amount you'll be spending (or in my case round it up to a full $20 mark to get the extra mile!!)
Here's how you do it on Amazon - go to your account page and click on Gift Cards
View attachment 514540
once you're on that page select Reload Your Balance and add however much you need to complete your transaction. It will take about 5 minutes for the transaction to complete and then you can just use the gift card to actually pay for your order.
View attachment 514541
Here's the difference between ADDING a gift card and reloading one, you can see that the reload is actually assigned an order number and apparently Airmiles doesn't know the difference!!
View attachment 514542

Here's how it ended up posting tonight, the 4 miles showed last night because that order was completed, the 3 miles showed today because the item had shipped.

View attachment 514539
So we get AM's on applying to our GC online? Is this new? I often purchase items that qualify for AM's. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Thank you so much for posting, this is a game changer for me.

So we get AM's on applying to our GC online? Is this new? I often purchase items that qualify for AM's. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Thank you so much for posting, this is a game changer for me.
I've noticed it a time or 2 before but since my accounts are very quiet right now, both Amazon and airmiles, I figured it was a good time to test my theory. I can confirm that this has happened 3 times over the last year btw.
in summary,
  • you get NO miles for buying a new gift card within the Amazon site
  • You get NO miles for adding a gift card to your account that you've either bought elsewhere or been given as a gift
  • You DO earn miles for adding money to your online gift card balance when you complete that as a separate transaction.

Just a reminder if anybody is planning on shopping at Sobeys for the spend $150 on groceries and earn either 100 bonus miles or a $10 gift card that it is only from Friday to Sunday and remember to show the coupon from the ad. I usually do my shopping on Thursday and was getting my lists all ready and noticed that the coupon wasn't good until tomorrow so Friday shop it will be this week. I am hoping that the store won't be busier due to the long weekend.

I've noticed it a time or 2 before but since my accounts are very quiet right now, both Amazon and airmiles, I figured it was a good time to test my theory. I can confirm that this has happened 3 times over the last year btw.
in summary,
  • you get NO miles for buying a new gift card within the Amazon site
  • You get NO miles for adding a gift card to your account that you've either bought elsewhere or been given as a gift
  • You DO earn miles for adding money to your online gift card balance when you complete that as a separate transaction.

OK, so I've got a bunch of these Kelloggs cash cards ($5 each). Can I load them to my Amazon gift card balance and get AM for that? If yes, should I wait and see what the Mega Miles offers are just in case this might qualify for something?

OK, so I've got a bunch of these Kelloggs cash cards ($5 each). Can I load them to my Amazon gift card balance and get AM for that? If yes, should I wait and see what the Mega Miles offers are just in case this might qualify for something?
That's a tricky question that will give you an answer you might not like.
  • YES you can add those cards to your Amazon account - i do it all the time with Visa gift cards when they have small amounts left on them, one even had something like .29 and it was no problem.
  • Each card needs to be added separately as method of payment before you can use it to top up your account.
  • You can only use ONE method of payment for adding money to your gift card balance (to complete an actual purchase you can combine your gift card balance and pay the remaining with a credit card)
  • You will ONLY earn miles if the transaction is over $20 (you get 1 mile/$20)
  • SO adding the $5 Kelloggs cards will NOT earn you any miles because they will each be a separate transaction but you can still add them to your account!

This is my first post, but I have been reading along literally for years and feel like I kind of know the regulars, lol.

@dancin Disney style based on your previous posts I think we may live in neighbouring cities. I just wanted to share that on the weekend I saw face shields at the Burlington Costco. No sure if they are what you are looking for but it may be worth a phone call :)

Thank you all for sharing your weekly airmiles finds and strategies. Every week I come here first before I even look at the flyer!
Sorry I'm so late welcoming you to our happy community, things have been a tad stressful in our household the past few days and I've let things slide a bit.

I really happy to hear that you're benefiting from the posts here and hope that you'll join in our discussions by sharing both your successful hunting trips AND your Epic fails. There's always room for more! Make sure to pop over to the Mega Miles thread and see if you can add some bonus miles to your account!!

Just a reminder if anybody is planning on shopping at Sobeys for the spend $150 on groceries and earn either 100 bonus miles or a $10 gift card that it is only from Friday to Sunday and remember to show the coupon from the ad. I usually do my shopping on Thursday and was getting my lists all ready and noticed that the coupon wasn't good until tomorrow so Friday shop it will be this week. I am hoping that the store won't be busier due to the long weekend.
Can anyone remember if Sobeys has flyers instore. I don't get the flyer because I'm too far away. I'm hoping the cashier has one at the cash that they can scan.

Can anyone remember if Sobeys has flyers instore. I don't get the flyer because I'm too far away. I'm hoping the cashier has one at the cash that they can scan.
My store in Ajax always has flyers at the door and sometimes cashiers have the coupons at their cash. I gave them heck once because they didn't have the coupons to scan so now they seem to have them

My store in Ajax always has flyers at the door and sometimes cashiers have the coupons at their cash. I gave them heck once because they didn't have the coupons to scan so now they seem to have them

I am assuming that they will have one at the cash since we don't get flyers any more because of covid. Otherwise it better be scanable from the online one.

I am assuming that they will have one at the cash since we don't get flyers any more because of covid. Otherwise it better be scanable from the online one.
I get less flyers but every week we still get our local paper and some flyers - Sobey's, Canadian Tire, Food Basics, M&M meats and I can't remember who else.

Double check your My Offers
This appeared in mine this morning.

BONUS MILES
Days Left
LTC_BB.jpg

When you buy almost anything on your next visit.
Valid at participating Sobeys, Foodland locations in Ontario. Offer must be loaded before time of purchase to the AIR MILES Card swiped in the transaction. Offer expires after a single use unless otherwise stated and cannot be used in combination with any other spend offers in a single transaction. Minimum spend must be spent in a single transaction and does not include tobacco, lottery, gift cards, prescriptions, applicable tax and/or enviro fees, deposits or charges and other goods and services which are non discountable or excluded by law. ®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Sobeys Capital Incorporated.
Hugs
Mel

Went to Sobeys this morning as the members of my family are Chewy granola bar fans! Bought 50 boxes and stocked up for the fall/winter. Got the 100 Air Mile spend bonus along with my personal spend $150 get 50 Air Miles, and just called My Offers to have the 25 Air Miles applied after seeing Mel's note. Spent $173 got 667 Air Miles.

Last night I went to IGA for the Miles Spree. Stocked up my empty jam shelf and bought 24 jars of jam (my husband is really fussy about jam) and 8 packs of Blue Moon/Blue Moon Mango beer (again fussy husband). Spent $207 and got 209 miles. Not the best ratio but the items were all on sale and I wouldn't normally get any miles on those at all!

Dang! I just got back from Sobeys. I didn't look to see if something else popped up this morning. It's good for 14 days so I'll use it next week.

@ElCray which Sobeys did you shop at?

Dang! I just got back from Sobeys. I didn't look to see if something else popped up this morning. It's good for 14 days so I'll use it next week.

@ElCray which Sobeys did you shop at?
March Rd! There were still lots of Chewy Bars left (choc chip, s'mores, fruit, etc.) but I did grab the remaining 8 caramel ones! There is another stand at the end of the yogurt aisle too. Tons of the Dipp bars left.

For the 25 AMs, you could just call My Offers. The guy applied them for me in 2 seconds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter