Airhawk electric wheelchair

Actually, the website where I purchased my Pink Chariot said that the other website is reputable.

I finally arrived in Florida yesterday. My Falcon Reclining Electric Wheelchair arrived with only one problem. I videotaped the unboxing and removal of my “Pink Chariot“ from the box. The knob that screws the joystick to the armrest was broken, and half of the plastic fell to the floor. Fortunately it had enough plastic that it was still able to be attached to the armrest. I called the dealer this morning and was told to send photos, which I did. They also filed the report that I did not receive the travel bag which is on back order. I’ve been practicing operating my chariot with the joystick. It’s definitely different than operating a mobility scooter. I’ve only operated it indoors on the slowest speed. I am apprehensive about increasing the speed outdoors. 😱

Hawaiian Airlines. I called reservations 2 days in advance and completed the form in advance. Glad I did. They were more accepting of taking on the ECV which had to be broken down by removing both the seat and battery, due to its weight. 🥹 It’ll be much better with a foldable wheelchair that folds down to the size and weight of luggage.

I finally arrived in Florida yesterday. My Falcon Reclining Electric Wheelchair arrived with only one problem. I videotaped the unboxing and removal of my “Pink Chariot“ from the box. The knob that screws the joystick to the armrest was broken, and half of the plastic fell to the floor. Fortunately it had enough plastic that it was still able to be attached to the armrest. I called the dealer this morning and was told to send photos, which I did. They also filed the report that I did not receive the travel bag which is on back order. I’ve been practicing operating my chariot with the joystick. It’s definitely different than operating a mobility scooter. I’ve only operated it indoors on the slowest speed. I am apprehensive about increasing the speed outdoors. 😱

I am *so* sorry about the damage to your new chair.

Are you feeling more confident after a couple of days?

A little better. I raised the rate of speed a couple of notches. The wheels move around when going over a bumpy terrain, then I start to panic a little. Tomorrow going to Universal Studios. That’ll be the real test.

A little better. I raised the rate of speed a couple of notches. The wheels move around when going over a bumpy terrain, then I start to panic a little. Tomorrow going to Universal Studios. That’ll be the real test.

It's definitely different than driving an ECV.

I noticed a very big difference between the Fold & Go and the Zoomer in how they handle patterned concrete, the trolley tracks at MK/Main Street, and even simpler things like curb cuts. To me, the Zoomer handles everything much easier, much more smoothly, and with very little "drama" in terms of things like wheel wallow.

I have really started to believe that every chair has it's own personality!

I got my new chair and I used to to go shopping one day. I loved it. I am not taking it to work yet, but I am taking it to the parks on Monday or Tuesday to try it out! Will post pics soon

Went to Universal Studios today. Several close calls, but didn’t hit anyone. I always thought people hated people on scooters but not wheelchairs. Wrong. People cut in front of you and cut you off the same.

Using the three point hold isn’t working for me. I think I’ll try cupping the joystick between my thumb and forefinger. I’ll try that tomorrow. How do you hold your joystick. I’ve watched two different dealers each stating both ways.

If you or anyone can give me tips on how to hold the joystick for better control, I’m ALL EARS (pun intended). 😂🧚‍♀️

PS. I have had so many compliments on my Pink Chariot. 😍

Went to Universal Studios today. Several close calls, but didn’t hit anyone. I always thought people hated people on scooters but not wheelchairs. Wrong. People cut in front of you and cut you off the same.

Using the three point hold isn’t working for me. I think I’ll try cupping the joystick between my thumb and forefinger. I’ll try that tomorrow. How do you hold your joystick. I’ve watched two different dealers each stating both ways.

If you or anyone can give me tips on how to hold the joystick for better control, I’m ALL EARS (pun intended). 😂🧚‍♀️

PS. I have had so many compliments on my Pink Chariot. 😍

The RA is taking a toll on my hands now, so I have a tendency to hold my joystick "weird" LOL

Using my right hand as an example. I turn my wrist and hand to lay alongside the "outside" of entire joystick unit, and bring my forefinger around the base of the joystick. Then my thumb kind of goes up the side of the joystick that is closest to me.

When I drive, I basically point my thumb where I want to go. I'm sure it sounds weird as all get-out, but it works for me! I try to make my turning motions as smooth as possible. Think of your thumb like your foot on the gas pedal - you can go any speed, just by how hard you press the "pedal"! For me, I can turn more accurately as well.

Remember - we tend to drive in the direction we are *looking* at - so be sure to try and look where you WANT to go!

Make sure that you don't have your speed maxed out - I have found that the sweet spot for me is between 50% and 75% of full power. Most of the chairs I have tried are very sensitive at full power, and that can result in over-steering. And of course, when you stop moving the device, it stops instantly because that's the electromechanical braking that kicks in. So, getting used to slowing gently to a stop is an art all of it's own!

Anymore, regardless of the device I am driving I am just so cautious, especially at WDW. There are so many folks who are preoccupied with their phones, or who are just not paying any attention at all (and we won't talk about the self-important fools, because that's a whole 'nother thing in and of itself). Our family builds a "bubble", where we try to make a large space around us (usually by adjusting our speed) and my bipedals try to help me watch for "bubble breakers". One way to help minimize those is to put a family member front, back and left sides (if possible) and then I try to roll along the right side of the "street" or sidewalk. That helps me because I can focus my attention at who/what is headed my way from one side, instead of all 4.

Hope those tips make sense! Have another great day! 🙂

I totally understand what you’re saying, because that’s exactly how I feel that I‘m in better control of my pink chariot. My husband walks in front of me, but people will still cut in front of me. A boy, holding his mother’s hand walked right into me and was hit in his leg. They both ignored me to watch out and wouldn’t even look at me, even after he was hit in the leg. 🙄

I totally understand what you’re saying, because that’s exactly how I feel that I‘m in better control of my pink chariot. My husband walks in front of me, but people will still cut in front of me. A boy, holding his mother’s hand walked right into me and was hit in his leg. They both ignored me to watch out and wouldn’t even look at me, even after he was hit in the leg. 🙄

Depending on crowd levels, if at all possible, try to get your hubby on either your right or your left - I try to always put someone on my left, except when we really need to go single file through crowded areas - and if you have "cover" on the left, then you only have to worry about the zombies* that are coming your way from the right hand side - which is honestly the worst in EPCOT/World Showcase if you are going Canada ---> Mexico (because people are popping out of the pavilions into the main pathway on your right hand side constantly.) In EPCOT/World Showcase, we almost always travel Mexico ---> Canada because of that.

When it's just me + one other family member, I have to be a bit more vigilant. Having the "luxury" of "full bubble" when we have everyone along for the trip is a rare and wonderful thing... LOL

I will also say that I am no longer shy at WDW about just flat out YELLING at people if it looks like they are going to walk into me - I will yell "EXCUSE ME!" with a big smile and a wave. I try really hard not to take a tone with anyone - smiling while I holler seems to help it come out a bit nicer. 😉 It cuts down on a fair amount of the zombies.

I actually had a bigger issue on our last trip with people using giant double-wide strollers like bulldozers to mow their way through crowds. I saw more than one person get their heels jammed by people who clearly don't know where the front end is on that stroller, and they roll right up on other Guests and it's making me wince to just think about how much that must hurt!!!

*zombies = preoccupied Guests who tend to walk right into mobility devices

Last night I searched YouTube on how to hold the joystick. I was surprised that how mamabunny and I hold the joystick was found. The gentleman referred the hold as placing it in the “V” of your hand between your thumb and forefinger. i do feel better in control with this hold. I find that I do fine when no one is near me, but start to panic when people are close. I think I‘ll start yelling STUDENT DRIVER to get people out of my way. 🤪

Last night I searched YouTube on how to hold the joystick. I was surprised that how mamabunny and I hold the joystick was found. The gentleman referred the hold as placing it in the “V” of your hand between your thumb and forefinger. i do feel better in control with this hold. I find that I do fine when no one is near me, but start to panic when people are close. I think I‘ll start yelling STUDENT DRIVER to get people out of my way. 🤪
You can also get different shaped joysticks.
Some people just put a tennis ball on their joystick so they can grasp it better.
My daughter has this curved U shaped joystick from Bodypoint.
0FC25609-65B4-43E8-8AD3-09B6C87F9305.jpeg

There are all kinds of shapes - from mushroom shaped to knobs to balls. You can even find 3D printed on from Etsy.

You can also get different shaped joysticks.
Some people just put a tennis ball on their joystick so they can grasp it better.
My daughter has this curved U shaped joystick from Bodypoint.
View attachment 694582

There are all kinds of shapes - from mushroom shaped to knobs to balls. You can even find 3D printed on from Etsy.

I have the BodyPoint Dome on my other chair, and I do like it. I tried the U-Shape, and personally I felt like I was launching the Millennium Falcon instead of driving my chair! 😂🤣😂

Everything about your chair becomes very personal; from how you steer (and what type of joystick you use) to what you decide to bring with you on your chair. I am becoming a minimalist in my old age; no undercarriage lighting, no big backpacks hanging off my chair, no customizations... just me, and Mirabel (so named because as Bruno says... (She's) "the real deal!")

20220818_092847.jpg
This is my Airhawk electric wheelchair, complete with my kitty sleeping under it. My husband helped me switch out my armrests for more padded ones, then wrapped it in vinyl wrap to make it purple. Now I am going to get custom stickers for the sides, probably mickey heads. I am using a mickey antenna topper for my joystick. I find it comfortable to drive and the battery life is awesome. Easy to fold and get in the car. Definitely happy with my purchase.

View attachment 695060
This is my Airhawk electric wheelchair, complete with my kitty sleeping under it. My husband helped me switch out my armrests for more padded ones, then wrapped it in vinyl wrap to make it purple. Now I am going to get custom stickers for the sides, probably mickey heads. I am using a mickey antenna topper for my joystick. I find it comfortable to drive and the battery life is awesome. Easy to fold and get in the car. Definitely happy with my purchase.

LOVING that purple! I am so impressed - I would have never guessed y'all did vinyl wrap - it looks factory!

Yay! I'm so happy for you! 🙂

May I ask if anyone has taken such lightweight electric chair onto busses for tie down (unfolded) or onto attractions. I’m a full time power chair user here at home, looking for something more portable for travel (from UK) that we can take about with us in a rental car rarely but pretty essentially (when needed as staying on site) that I can also use on Disney transportation tie down systems as will have to stay in chair, and also ride on to ‘chair accepting’ attractions. Thank you in advance for any replies.

May I ask if anyone has taken such lightweight electric chair onto busses for tie down (unfolded) or onto attractions. I’m a full time power chair user here at home, looking for something more portable for travel (from UK) that we can take about with us in a rental car rarely but pretty essentially (when needed as staying on site) that I can also use on Disney transportation tie down systems as will have to stay in chair, and also ride on to ‘chair accepting’ attractions. Thank you in advance for any replies.
I have seen people do it, but I would be very wary.
They are lightweight, folding wheelchairs and are not meant to be tied down - UNLESS the manufacturer give an OK and instructions on how to do it/ where to attach the tiedowns. I would be concerned about putting stress on parts that are not designed for that kind of stress.
Bending or breaking something on the chair would be a possibility.

While we were waiting for the accessible Remy ride car, we saw someone’s portable power wheelchair tied down on it. The places the rider told them to attach the hooks did not look like good places to me. One was on the upright part of the back canes, the other was on the front by the footrest.
There are only a couple rides with tie downs on the accessible vehicle - offhand I can think of Toy Story Mania, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, The Safari

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter