Airfare to Europe Yikes!

Have you looked at alternate airports for your flights? We live just north of NYC and always price out EWR, JFK, LGA and HPN. Perhaps look at flying out of FLL as well? I'm not sure if that is convenient for you.
Yes we have looked at all options and have google flights tracking set up and I keep getting updates that the prices keep going up 😡

Yes we have looked at all options and have google flights tracking set up and I keep getting updates that the prices keep going up 😡
Is this Easter week? I was looking at AA prices for this route and it goes from 152.00 RT beginning of April to 650 RT easter week.

Everything out of Philly is expensive these days. We have been driving to BWI lately.
Yeah, we are north and did EWR for another trip we are taking in March. I’ve done BWI in the past, too. Never hurts to look around with all the Northeast airports so close together!

My son is singing with his school choir at Carnegie hall in April and the airfare to go see him is $600 from mia to jfk on spirit and $700 on jet blue. We have decided to just let him go and have the experience as we won’t be able do anything in the city with him while he’s there with his group. Usually you can get $200-$300 flights direct to NY I was flabbergasted at the cost.

Have you looked at alternate airports for your flights? We live just north of NYC and always price out EWR, JFK, LGA and HPN. Perhaps look at flying out of FLL as well? I'm not sure if that is convenient for you.

Agreed that this would be good to check Cinderella if you haven’t already. We got a better deal through FLL than MIA. (Still expensive though)

Are you talking about Japan or Italy? United still has a nonstop to Tokyo (Narita) and I'm so glad Covid didn't kill that off. I did a nonstop on my first trip and it was SO worth it. There are no Rome nonstops from Dulles or BWI which stinks.

Japan. My options from PDX are mainly back to a stop in SFO, SEA or YVR. I nearly missed a connection in SFO to Tokyo once due to fog (we are talking sprinting madly though the airport/door slammed on my heels/luggage did not make it near miss) so I would probably avoid that route in the future and just go with a quick hop north and over next time. Some day I may forgive SFO. Maybe.

It does seem weird there wouldn't be a nonstop from Dulles to Rome... I wonder why? I also had assumed Heraklion would be a more standard airport to Crete but it seems like my options to Chania are better from AMS and to Oslo? So strange.

Have family from overseas and flights have been about $1300-$1600 pp the last three or so years.

Which is why I laugh when people and companies talk about how demand is up or down and that changing prices. No they have full control and coordinated monopolies on all of this to drive costs up.

Is what it is and I take advantage by not booking anything far out (except DVC WDW) and simply wait wait wait. I always say I am fine staying home but eventually end up with some killer deal compared to what their supposed prices are they were charging up until the last moment.

Which is why I laugh when people and companies talk about how demand is up or down and that changing prices. No they have full control and coordinated monopolies on all of this to drive costs up.
It's been much cheaper to get to Europe during this pandemic. Pricing got really high when travel to Europe rebounded as covid restrictions eased and travel increased. There were also countless comments earlier on in 2020 and 2021 and parts of 2022 from posters discussing how they switched gears and took international trips because they were cheaper than WDW.

It's been much cheaper to get to Europe during this pandemic. Pricing got really high when travel to Europe rebounded as covid restrictions eased and travel increased. There were also countless comments earlier on in 2020 and 2021 and parts of 2022 from posters discussing how they switched gears and took international trips because they were cheaper than WDW.

International travel is still cheaper than WDW so I am not sure that is exactly the point you were trying to make.

I just read on a travel blog where some were saying they will skip Spring Break trip this
year also because of high prices. I have a couple coworkers that changed their minds.

We are hoping to squeeze one more trip beginning of summer and then wait for fall to
book anything else. Higher prices or not having just got back from Florida plane was
completely full up and back. 🙁

Last edited:
Japan. My options from PDX are mainly back to a stop in SFO, SEA or YVR. I nearly missed a connection in SFO to Tokyo once due to fog (we are talking sprinting madly though the airport/door slammed on my heels/luggage did not make it near miss) so I would probably avoid that route in the future and just go with a quick hop north and over next time. Some day I may forgive SFO. Maybe.

It does seem weird there wouldn't be a nonstop from Dulles to Rome... I wonder why? I also had assumed Heraklion would be a more standard airport to Crete but it seems like my options to Chania are better from AMS and to Oslo? So strange.
I would be freaking out if that happened to me. I try my best to avoid connections lol

It is weird because Dulles has a decently sized hub for international travel. If I want to get to Rome, I would have to fly to Newark, Paris or Frankfurt and then fly over to Rome (this is based off of flights that I've looked at from different airlines). This trip isn't happening soon but maybe someday *sigh* Also my mom was looking at flights to Aruba for just her and my dad and it would be $1600 per person. It's cheaper to fly to Milan and Frankfurt.

We are flying nonstop to Paris in June. Business class over, premium economy back. I thought it was a totally crazy splurge last fall when I bought it for our family of 5. Now those same tickets are $25K for round trip premium economy and $56K for round trip business class.

It's mind boggling. I paid like 2X the price of economy at the time.

It makes sense. I'm using points for my layover hotels too so my savings are pretty significant. I'd rather have an overnight layover or a layover that's less than 4 hours. I hate sitting around the airport for hours. If CPH is like last year plan on getting there early. Lines were out the door.
Yes! I saw your other post about that in a thread about Copenhagen ground transport a while back. On paper, the cruise line said anything after noon, but the ship is only scheduled to arrive in port at 7am. There was a 12:20pm or so flight. I was like, hmm, nah - we'll take that 3-something pm one lol. I'd rather not feel like I'm scrambling to disembark, and we have SAS lounge access anyway. I would prefer to regret having built in too much time rather than not enough!

Yes! I saw your other post about that in a thread about Copenhagen ground transport a while back. On paper, the cruise line said anything after noon, but the ship is only scheduled to arrive in port at 7am. There was a 12:20pm or so flight. I was like, hmm, nah - we'll take that 3-something pm one lol. I'd rather not feel like I'm scrambling to disembark, and we have SAS lounge access anyway. I would prefer to regret having built in too much time rather than not enough!
Plus, there's always the risk of it changing. Air Canada just changed our return flight on debarkation day from 1:20pm to 8:45am. So, we will have to move it to a later flight at 3pm that has less desirable layovers.

Plus, there's always the risk of it changing. Air Canada just changed our return flight on debarkation day from 1:20pm to 8:45am. So, we will have to move it to a later flight at 3pm that has less desirable layovers.
I 100% panicked when SAS sent an email about updated flight times. Turns out they changed by about 9min on our outgoing flight. I was like "awwww, that's so adorable SAS!", b/c my prior experience with AA is that they only bother to tell you like half the time for much more significant changes lol!

I just did three tickets from PIT to Barcelona. A combination of premium economy and Delta Select for different legs. Over $9,000! Comparatively, our cruise with prepaid gratitutiee was still under $6

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter