Air Canada refunds of Airmiles (or other reward) flights

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
This discussion was becoming popular on the Airmiles thread and distracting from earning so I thought I would start a dedicated thread so that those interested in the topic could find information quickly.

I will update the results of my discussion with Airmiles. Airmiles has sent in a request for refund to Air Canada as of Tues April 13. The agent expected that it would take 4-6 weeks to see the AM back in my account and the $ back on my CC.

Cari12 posted "I tried calling AM re: air Canada flight refunds and they have a recording that all flights that qualify they will be automatically refunding so we don’t have to contact them. Apparently. We’ll see how that plays out. "

Please continue the discussion on this thread.

I know this is not Airmiles but this may be helpful for others who booked using Aventura Points.

I booked using my CIBC Aventura points and my flight was cancelled by Air Canada. I was given a non-transferable credit that must be used by December 2022. I have been arguing with them for a while that I wanted the Travel Voucher (non-expiring and fully transferable) that others were given. Air Canada told me a couple weeks ago I was not eligible because it was an "IT Fare" - which apparently is what most rewards flights are. I was upset because when I booked it was never noted anywhere that it was a different fare or under terms than a regular flight. Especially since the flight was canceled by Air Canada, I felt I should be given more than this potentially useless travel credit.

Since the announcement I contacted CIBC Aventura Travel Rewards again. They said they are processing refunds based on cancellation date. I am much more hopeful that I will get something useful now. If I get my points back I will be thrilled.

Interesting thing to add to Jacquelines post. When I logged into my account there was a banner message at the top saying don't call us we'll call you (in effect). I have flight credits for cancelled flights on my account. When I logged into DH and DS accounts the message doesn't come up.

They appear to know which accounts are affected and may be eligible for the refund.

For those with multiple accounts they oversee, did you find the same thing?

I just went on the website but not logged in and that banner is at the top.

edit to add: when I “x”d the banner off, it didn’t come back until I closed out the site and then went back on it

The thing with the “don’t call us, we’ll contact you” approach is that we don’t have any timeframe of what to expect, when to worry that we were missed etc. At least we have this thread to keep each other informed.

The agent I spoke with yesterday morning said the AC rep told her 4-6 weeks (if I qualified). Pretty sure I qualified as they cancelled my flights and didn't attempt to rebook on anything else. I agree, If everyone who reads this posts their communication with Airmiles (or others) on the topic we should be as informed as can be.

I have no idea if mine was cancelled. I cancelled on my own. There must be some weight with our country’s travel restrictions as well.

They aren't currently flying from the Halifax area to Orlando are they? If not, it's very likely your flights were cancelled (last year?)

I know it's likely too early but does anyone have anything new to report?
I had a call back from Aventura on Friday. They told me they had processed my refund. Once Air Canada refunded them the money, the points would be returned to my account. They said this could take some time. I was really happy to hear I would be getting my points back!

I received an email from air miles this morning advising me that I can get a refund on my "cancelled" AC flight as long as I contact them by June 1 (otherwise you get a credit good for 24 months).

I'm freaking out though because I did not and AC did not cancel my flight. I'm still hoping to be able to go in September. My flight status still shows up in the travel section but I'm concerned now lol. In live chat just to make sure it won't be cancelled on me.

EDIT: apparently I need to call their reservation line to confirm my flight is still valid. 😑 (but the chat CSR said they figured it was sent to me in error)

EDIT 2: was on hold for 14 minutes and then it disconnected, boooo.

I just took a look at AC's site to confirm if my flight was still valid there for me and my companion and it says it is. I will keep checking up for the next little bit but my theory right now is that the e-mail was (will be) sent to anyone with an AC flight booked with AMs so they know they can get a refund if they want.

Last edited:
I can't remember if I used mine or DH's miles to book our tickets. Now I have to sit on live chat and get them to look back in the accounts to January 2020 to see where the transaction came from.

I got the email and it referenced the YOW-MCO reservation but not the MCO-YOW reservation. The agent I spoke with April 13 told me she had filed the paperwork as I was speaking with her but I did it again anyway just in case. I did up a second form for my flights home.

My flights down were booked with a voucher I had from our 2019 Mexico trip, so that stays as is. I am looking forward to getting the taxes refunded from the air miles tickets as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter