Advice on towing a car

katerkat

I wine a lot...it makes me feel better
We just found out we can't ship our second car to Washington when we move. (The plan was to live with one car for the four months in Oklahoma.) So... Any advice on towing? My car is rather old, which is why we didn't want it driving 12 hours to OK and 28 hours to WA. So I'd prefer to put it up on a towing thingy (all four wheels up), rather than a dolly-type-thingy (two wheels up) or just attaching it to the SUV with all four wheels on the ground. But what is actually easier from a towing standpoint, since I've enver towed anything? And how on earth do I get the stuff attached? DH will be gone already - he's handling getting everything ready in OK while I handle the move.

The good thing is if Tycho starts to get loud, I can always threaten to put him in the other car. :teeth: (Kidding! The boys have a lovely catominium for the car.)

katerkat..if you rent the tow thingie from the folks at Uhaul, you may be able to have them help. Is the car you're going to tow it with equipped with the little tow knob thingie? (sorry for the use of technical terms...LOL)

You will need a hitch on the car you are driving. DH and I have towed cars from MI to IA. He has always done the 4 wheels off of the ground. You defintely have to go slower, but it can be done. Good Luck! :)

You can get a rental hitch from Uhual put on the SUV and tow that way... or on the back of the moving truck (which is what we did)

We towed two wheels of the ground and it was fine. The women said that four wheels up is the best but two wheels was fine for us.

We towed from MA to IN and we took the car on and off the tow dolly ourselves. We alternated driving the Truck with the car on the back and my fiance's SUV...

I persaonlly would recommend a trailer or flatbed truck to get all 4 wheel up, but it would be expensive, I'm sure, to contract someone else to haul it for you. The U-Haul dolly is probably your best option. Are you comfortable with towing it yourself? Have you considered having it sent by rail? I don't know if it's possible, the idea just popped in to my head.

We do have a hitch for the SUV, but it hasn't been installed yet. I think it's a Class II? Not that I know what that means, but I think I remember reading that!

Uhaul has a dolly (front wheels up) on its website, but not a trailer one. It's not that bad - $115 for 4 days. I'll have to check around and see how much it is to get all four wheels up, since that sounds like the best option.

I don't really know if rail is an option, since we're moving from the middle of nowhere Mississippi to the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. *sigh* At least it's all flat land!

Why bother bringing the car anyway? You said it was old and wouldnt make the trip.....sell it now before you leave....pocket the cash and buy a new car when you get finally settled in Washington? Your original plan was to be without it in Oklahoma anyway.

I just know that a car with either a wheel dolly or a car trailer on the back is not going to handle that well. You dont state what type of SUV you have, but if it's a smaller one- like an Explorer, Trailblazer etc... your going to wonder why you cant drive past more than 2 gas stations without getting gas....If you've never towed anything...which it sounds like you havent'...go with a trailer so all 4 tires are up off the ground, it handles better. Oh- can you/are you planning on getting one with electronic brakes? You'll want a brake controller installed in your SUV..so you can adjust the brakes on the trailer.

But I still say- sell the car, save the $$ and buy a new one in Washington. You can also take into account the $$ to have the hitch installed, the $$ to rent the trailer, and the extra gas you'll be saving....and add that to the money you get for selling the car..

FYI, I drive my truck with different trailers on back all year, snowmobile, tractor, quad etc... We now have a dual axle car trailer, that we use to tow our Tractor. I will tell you that it took me about 15 times to get used to having a trailer on the back...And being on flat open land is the worst- when the wind goes whippin...you'll notice it. I dont mind hills, because our truck was designed for towing, so we dont notice them.

Brandy

We have a Honda Pilot - it's not a small SUV. And unfortunately, selling my car isn't an option. We just can't afford that, and my car will do fine in Washington for three years as long as we don't do any long trips in her. (Which is why we bought the Pilot in the first place!)

I'm now trying to convince DH to hitch my car to his friend's truck - they're driving out to OK together a week before me. After all, then he won't need to depend on the friend to get rides every where until I get there, right? Plus, the friend is an experience tow-er...

Which middle of nowhere are you coming to in Oklahoma (just out of curiosity). Tinker? Enid? Lawton?

Originally posted by SoonerKate
Which middle of nowhere are you coming to in Oklahoma (just out of curiosity). Tinker? Enid? Lawton?

Even worse - Altus. I believe it's near Lawton? I know it's by Texas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter