Advice on some 'firsts'

GoDisney18

Earning My Ears
We took our first ever Disney trip in the fall of 2018 and not to sound cheesy, but we really did have a magical time. We came home and said maybe we need to do that just once more. Well between being posted and covid we've cancelled 3 times and now sadly my kids are 3 years older. Despite being almost 12 and 14, they both really want to go back (and we do too!). I'm fairly up to date on my Disney park research and I know a lot has changed. This would definitely be a different trip as we're past the princess phase. That's why I'm debating about trying Universal as both are also huge Harry Potter fans and we've never been.
So now my mind is mulling around the idea about maybe doing a trip in August. The last trip my friend was able to teach me all I need to know about Disney. Now though, I don't know anyone who can help with planning a road trip and adding the Universal piece. I'm hoping you can help. 🙂

1. If we decided to drive, I'm looking for advice about the best route to take for people who haven't driven in the US.

2. For Universal, if we aren't into roller coasters and are just really wanting to see the Harry Potter part, would we just need 1 day or 2? I've done a bit of research and I know there is an express pass. Is it better to stay at the hotel that includes the express pass or just stay anywhere and buy it with a ticket?

3. I'm still on the fence about staying in the 'bubble'. We loved it but I know you can save a lot by being off-site. When we went the first time we had the free dining plan which was so convenient. However, no dining plan this time means food costs are a big factor. Any off-site recommendations that are close?

Thanks in advance for your advice. 🙂

1653480886702.png
You Have Owl Mail......................................

Ok I figured although I am not a Universal expert I'd like to be ,,, so I'll start.

1. I would definitely stay at one of the Tier 3 (Royal Pacific ,Hard Rock or Portofino Bay) resorts for at least 1- 2 days to give your self Express Pass to the parks.. and the boat transportation included is great because you already do bag check in before hitting City walk area. Big Harry Potter fan here and I love to wandering around first thing in the morning and then catch breakfast at one of the Potter restaurants. (I can easily spend 3-4 days in Universal).
Go big and buy an interactive wand and have fun.
Aug is HOT and having the resorts so close by to retreat to in the heat is wonderful.
All three resort pools are excellent,, my guys love the amenities at RPR...and I like the pool/bar area.
Have fun planning
Hugs
Mel

So, we are definitely more of a "Universal family" than a "Disney family" and I am NOT a roller coaster person AT ALL. There is so much more to Universal than roller coasters. We love the relaxed, more mature vibe at Universal and also appreciate how close everything is...being able to just come and go to the parks, hotels, and Citywalk is priceless to us.

On that note, I would absolutely encourage you to stay at one of the Premiere hotels for at least one night. Since one night gets you two days of Express Pass - the day you check in and the day you check out - get a 2-day park-to-park pass...that way you can freely go back and forth to both parks throughout the day and ride the Hogwarts Express. With 4 people in your party, it is a "no-brainer" cost-wise.

If you like water parks, you could upgrade to a 3-park pass and also visit Volcano Bay, but that would be a lot to fit into 2 days - you would probably want a third day for that.

We are heading down in August for 10 days for a split stay at Cabana Bay and Dockside with a 5-day 3-park pass. Because everything is so close and easily accessible, we will be able to visit Volcano Bay at least twice and spread out the rest of our park pass time at the two main parks. This also gives us time to do some shopping, visit other favorites in Orlando and maybe even go to WDW for a day! ;)

With regard to your stay at Disney and being "in the bubble", we loved our stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge with free dining back in the day, but, unlike at Universal, I don't think I could justify the cost since you aren't really getting anything "extra" for the money. Maybe a value resort? Our family has also enjoyed staying at the Disney Springs hotels - not exactly in the bubble but still fairly close.

mjhtvchick

Hi
I would love to hear how your stay at Dockside goes ,,I am considering it for a future trip where it will mostly be shopping and taking advantage of the warm weather/Pool.
Have a great trip
Hugs
Mel

1653500571908.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter