Adults without kids meeting characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an adult in my early 30s who takes many solo trips, I LOVE meeting characters! I really don't care if I get weird looks. We're all at Disney to have fun! On my last trip a couple weeks ago, I met Pluto, Tink & Rosetta, Tiana, and Anna and Elsa. All without a care in the world because that's what *I* wanted to do!

I've met the characters .. we didn't wait in line or anything, the character area at Epcot just happened to be empty so we figured why not :)

When I was a child, my parent couldn't afford a trip for me to WDW. Now, I'm an adult and my parents are in a better finance situation too and I will go this week with my mother to WDW for the first time. I booked breakfast at Chef Mickey, lunch in CRT, FP+ for Anna & Elsa... I want to take photos with all character. I'm not giving a damn for whom think this kind of thing is only for children :goodvibes

I've only ever waited in line for one character: Mary Poppins outside the UK pavilion at Epcot. Line was about 10 minutes. The greeter said something like "oh, some young at heart kids" when DW and I reached the front of the line. I've been wanting to meet MP for over 45 years and it finally happened!!

Inside the UK pavilion Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too looked kind of lonely so we met them as well. Also chanced upon Donald Duck wearing a sombrero outside the Mexican pavilion with only a few people waiting.

Years ago, before meet and greets, we were in some quiet dead end area of the Studios when Chip and Dale appeared from behind the fence. They approached US and wanted to pose for photos.

Adults without kids who want to meet characters: Go for it!!!

Jim

Dd who is now 21 still loves to meet characters and we have stood in any a line to do so. She has occasionally felt a little self conscious but gets over it very quickly when she realizes she is not the oldest person waiting to meet someone. I will agree w PPs that Tiana does a wonderful meet and greet. . We have met her at DL, on DCL, and at WDW. She is always terrific. And beautiful!

My first trip to WDW was 25 years ago this June. My latest trip, my 8th visit, was this past January. This past trip was the first time that I met any characters (I was the one usually taking the photos of family members, but not doing so myself).

It was just me and my sister (both in our 50s), and we had a blast! My dad and stopmom joined us later on in the trip. They've been going for years, and have racked up way more trips than I, yet I don't think they ever met characters until this past trip as well. I asked them to join us for a group photo with the Disney Visa Card thing.

We were so happy to enter the room and see Mickey and Pluto. The photo of my dad meeting Mickey was the best! Since my dad was the first one of our family to get us all started in going to WDW, I thought it was very fitting (and rather poignant) that he finally met the Mouse himself.

Go do it, and enjoy yourself! :thumbsup2

A group of us (all adults) went to the Princess Breakfast in Norway for one of my friends birthday (she loves ALL of the princesses so this was her dream birthday breakfast). The front desk CM who checked us in gave us a weird look when we said 6 adults 0 kids then she asked if we knew this was a character breakfast. Was a little put off by this. The cm's and princesses inside couldn't be nicer.

Another time me and my wife went to a character breakfast in the Contemporary and the CM's were skipping our table on purpose because we had no kids. After I asked our waiter he said they were trying to get to all the kids first before their breaks. Soured me from ever returning to a buffet again.

I have had plenty of good experiences in the parks with the standalone characters, but iv'e had some bumpy experiences with the character dining.

I made my last trip into a character hunt. I wanted to get as many characters as I could, since my mom never let us do that when I was little. I didn't wait in stupidly long lines, I think the longest I waited was about 20 minutes. I ended up with a *TON* of characters, and none of them made me feel silly for meeting them (a 35 year old by herself).

Go to Kenny the Pirate's website and look up the ideas he has for stuff to say to the characters. They're wonderful ice breakers, and make it a little less weird than just "hey, can I have a picture?" or something.

A group of us (all adults) went to the Princess Breakfast in Norway for one of my friends birthday (she loves ALL of the princesses so this was her dream birthday breakfast). The front desk CM who checked us in gave us a weird look when we said 6 adults 0 kids then she asked if we knew this was a character breakfast. Was a little put off by this. The cm's and princesses inside couldn't be nicer.

Another time me and my wife went to a character breakfast in the Contemporary and the CM's were skipping our table on purpose because we had no kids. After I asked our waiter he said they were trying to get to all the kids first before their breaks. Soured me from ever returning to a buffet again.

I have had plenty of good experiences in the parks with the standalone characters, but iv'e had some bumpy experiences with the character dining.

That's really sad and I must say NOT the norm I've been going to character meals for decades either solo or with DH when he is not on the road

Especially Chef Mickeys beginning way back when it was down in the Village Marketplace Give it another try

Personally if it ever happened like it did for you I would have spoken to a manager They would have made it right I assure you Everyone pays for the experience and it is NOT only about kids that look like kids ;)

Well I agree wdw brings out the kid in everyone but personally I would want the characters to get to all the kids first. We did a character meal years ago when the characters didn't get to dd who was about 6 at the time, and that was a disappointment. So now that I'm older and without kids I appreciate the characters greeting ALL the kids. Don't want any of the little ones to leave unhappy.

Well I agree wdw brings out the kid in everyone but personally I would want the characters to get to all the kids first. We did a character meal years ago when the characters didn't get to dd who was about 6 at the time, and that was a disappointment. So now that I'm older and without kids I appreciate the characters greeting ALL the kids. Don't want any of the little ones to leave unhappy.

Can't agree with you Every character meal they go to all the tables If parents keep their kids at the table and adults stay put too everyone is supposed to get a fair chance Like I said in previous post never had a problem EVER and never saw anyone else have one either

It's not weird at all. We'll stop and do it if the lines are short (read: close to non-existent). Mostly, though, we just don't want to effectively take a spot from a kid who has their heart set on meeting a character. So we tend to pass on it more often than not. Plus, they're the single biggest time sink in the parks, if you ask me.

My husband and I love meeting characters in the parks and at character meals. I didn't think my Disney-newbie husband would enjoy it at all, but figured he'd at least agree to meet Mickey...a ton of characters and a week later, we were making a list of all the characters we have to make sure we meet on our next trip. They are always super fun, cute interactions. We don't get autographs - just the Photopass picture and a back up with our camera - so we don't feel like we're keeping kids from having their chance. It does suck up time, but we love watching the people in front of us and just being at Disney. We're not parade people and rides aren't all that important to us so we think it's a great use of our time!

I've never done it but will be going on our first couple trip ... So I am sure we will do a few. Wait I did see Mickey at the opening of the new pool at GF. I got caught up in the moment and everyone else had gone back to the hotel room. My daughters laughed at the picture of me lol so not me at the time

In response to the person who posted about the Norway Character thing, i had a similar reaction when i went. I also found that some of the princesses going around ignored my table, didn't even get a nod or anything from a few.

I know after family 5k this past FEB. There were more kidless adults in line to see princesses than kids.

This honestly seems reasonable to me if the CMs were under time constraints. Of course, they should have NOT been under time constraints, but if that was indeed the situation, then yes, I think it's appropriate that they prioritized tables with children.

My guess is that a small percentage of guests have a weird "vibe" that puts the characters off, but the vast majority will encounter no issues.

My sister is going to be 30... If we don't stop and see Pluto and Mickey, she'll throw a tantrum like she's 5.

It's all part of the magic. We love to take a family photo with Pluto, and I love seeing Buzz. He was my favorite childhood "super hero" and I still love seeing him.

My friend went to Disney for her first time last year with her aunt, uncle and 16 yo cousin. She kept telling me that she wanted to get the Mickey ears and take pictures with characters. The 16 yo cousin told her she was too old (also ~30.) My answer: Once you enter the park, everyone is the same age.

Now, there was a time when we were waiting in line and some guy with a backpack and a Duffy toy hopped into line. He was loud and very over the top. When he went up to meet with Chip and Dale, he was posing and joking with them and handed them lollipops. THAT was a little weird. You could see parents grabbing their kids hands. Obviously it's wrong to judge... but this guy was a little strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter