Adult Children Behaving Badly!!

So sad...of course nasty people are everywhere but it seems especially unpleasant to overhear them at a happy place...

One of the reasons DH and I try to be nice to our elderly parents (apart from the fact that we love them and care for them of course) is to give our kids a lesson on how to treat us in the future. Hopefully what goes around comes around and these spoilt adult kids will get dissed by their own kids.

TheMorgans, curious as to whether you heard any reactions from these disgusting adult kids' parents? I'm not one for blaming parents for everything, it's true that there are times the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but I also know lovely people whose kids have turned sour on them and horrible parents who somehow have wonderful kids.

I have family members who act like that. Not on a WDW trip, but another trip that my parents paid for. It was awkward, and I felt bad for my parents. The husband was NOT raised like that. It comes from his wife. She clearly expects her parents and his parents to pay for everything for them...buy them a car, pay their utilities, etc. It has caused a lot of stress for my other family members. We don't even spend holidays all together anymore b/c of the tension. She has told others that my parents pay for our trips to WDW (in the context of, this is so unfair, they'll take them to WDW but not us!). Believe me, that is FAR from the truth, as my American Express bill will attest!!!

Once a brat, always a brat. Our family went with my mom last year, and granted it didn't go swimmingly... but I'll be darned if you heard a thing like that out of my mouth. We paid for my mom on a lot of things, and split our expenses accordingly.

Ugh. Some people are just sickening.

These are just a few of the too numerous to count tantrums that we heard last week. I understand that we are in a difficult ecconomy now... but do adult children really expect their parents to just hand out the cash to them like they are still 8 years old???

Your quotes are shocking to hear, but not shocking to believe.

To answer your question...yes, all you have to do is look at the headlines in the papers or news and you'll see people expecting something for nothing.
Personally feel the ecomony is more the result of the attitude than the attitude the result of the ecomony.
Just wait 20 years, I guarantee you it will be the complete opposite view if you know what I mean.
(that's as close as I dare say before getting into politics, which I believe isn't allowed)

I agree it is sad.:sad2:

We just came back from a trip to Disney with Grandma and Grandpa in April.
We took the approach to be prepared to pay our own way the whole time.
If they pick up something, meal or souveniour or something, then thank you it's bonus.

That's what happens when you raise kids and give them everything they want, they're spoiled. I've had a job and paid my way since I was 16, and didn't think I would get the slightest bit of help from my parents much less a trip to Disney from them. They are ungrateful brats.

Ok, I'm 26 yo and my mom is paying for our trip to WDW this November. I admit it. It's a sort of tradition for us to go every four years.

My mom is my best friend :hug: and WDW is a special place for us that my Dad and sister don't get. We want to go together and we want to do things like la Nouba and restaurants that I can't pay for. Yes, she will pay for it when I want a Mickey ice cream bar. Yes, she will offer to buy me souvenirs.

No, my mom doesn't buy a lot of things for me in my normal life. And I would never get upset at my mom for not paying for something. And after seeing some of the abject poverty that some of the world lives in, I can't say how grateful I am to have the opportunity to go to WDW and to have my parents period. :love:

Ah, but you don't EXPECT or outright DEMAND her to pay for things! When I was in college, everytime I came home on break (2x per year) my mom would take me on a shopping trip. I was allowed $100 to spend on new clothes as mine got shabby quick working in a photography studio/lab. I never asked, and I always made sure to make the most of it, being sure not to squander my gift. Since I was away from home, and they helped my brother a lot with expenses, it was her way to giving to me.

We always travelled when I was a kid. My parents never bought us much, they put a lot of our extra money into trips (little ones like Gettysburg, Disney, Hershey, etc.) but when we went on vacation, if we wanted money to spend we had to earn it in the way of chores or mowing lawns for others. Travelling was their gift to us, much as you and your mother's trip are her gift.

Well, We're taking my Mother in law this year to WDW. She has never been. She has been to Disneyland twice when she was living in San Diego in the early '70's when my late Father-in-Law was stationed out there for the Navy. So my wife went when she was like 3-4. So after our two trips last year, our first ever last Aug, we said this year, "let's take Nana." So we're picking up all her costs, and just want her to have a great trip with us.

Mike

We (my Mom, nephew and I) witnessed something similar one morning at DTD the first week of June. A woman (40s) telling an older lady with a rolling walker, who I assumed was her mother (60s) to hurry up. She, the younger one, was burning up and that the elderly lady needed to speed up so she could get in some air conditioning. It was just the way she said it that irked me. I told my mom that if I EVER talked to her that way she could just slap me upside the head.

I feel that this trip just wasn't as magical as normal. It seemed that negative nellies, inconsiderate guests and rudeness seemed more prevalent. It wasn't just at Disney, USO was a similar experience. Combined with the crowds, it was pretty much agreed that June is not a good time for us to go. We will stick to October, early May or early December.

so.very.sad. Especially that these idiot adult children are doing this in front of their own children -- so soon there'll be yet another generation of bad behavior.

Hate to say this, though...there's that quote about "reaping what you sow"

These elderly parents raised these ungrateful, rude children.

That's all I'm saying.

Agree and sadly we may as well get used to b/c those children that behave that way as adults now have children and are instilling the same (lack of) courtesy and values.

People today have no idea what it is like to need - they only know how to want.

Even at 29, if I said something like that to my parents today, I'd better duck :duck:, because they'd both slap the taste outta my mouth. :sad2:

Ditto and darn right, which is exactly why you would never do something like that. Kudos to your parents, they did an excellent job :thumbsup2

That's what happens when you raise kids and give them everything they want, they're spoiled. I've had a job and paid my way since I was 16, and didn't think I would get the slightest bit of help from my parents much less a trip to Disney from them. They are ungrateful brats.

I'm 40 and my parents are both turning 62 in Sept and November. We did not have a lot of money growing up, but my brother and I got everything we every wanted, really, I can't think of one thing that I ever asked for and didn't get. That said, I never "expected" it or "demanded" it. We took care of our things and appreciated how hard my parents worked to give us what we asked for. My parents still do a lot for me, including paying for our trip to Disney this August for my 5 year old to go with them. I have told them not to bring a PENNY on this trip - they already paid for the trip and any meals (we have dining plan, but are already 2 TS credits over for this trip that I am paying for) and I will pay for hotels and gas during the drive there and back.

I agree with you that there are many children spoiled by getting everything that they want, but not all "spoiled" kids are ungrateful brats ;)

I guess I had it wrong. When I took my mom to WDW, I paid for almost everything! All she paid for was her AP and the air sometimes. Room was DVC (mine) and I paid for meals. She did pay for any souveniers she wanted (not much).

LOL - you made your mother pay for her AIR to breath? :rotfl2: I'm sure that's just a typo, but it made me laugh.

As for the quotes from the OP, I had to re-read them because I was absolutely AMAZED that an adult would actually say those things!! Some people have real 'entitlement' issues.

LOL - you made your mother pay for her AIR to breath? :rotfl2: I'm sure that's just a typo, but it made me laugh.

I had the same thought :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Maybe we think alike cuz we're neighbors -- howdy, Olathe! Manhattan, here!

there are no words...I couldnt imagine treating my parents like that. :eek:

I feel so sad for the parents - it borderlines with elderly abuse I think. Overpowering your elder with demands and expectations like that is totally disrespectful.:sad2:

Stuff like that makes me incredibly sad, not just the scenario itself, but also how hurt inside those poor parents must feel..:sad2:

Sometimes, its not the parents wo raise thier kids like that, but the perception of the kids that they WERE raised like that.

I know a family where there are two brothers, and one of them pays their own way, and the other assumes that if they are offered an invite, and they accept, its a all expences paid trip.

This is definitely true in my family.

I am the oldest of 4. Three of us are fine, but I have no idea where my brother came from.

We talked a few years ago about all doing a Disney trip together. Several times he made comments that indicated that he was under the impression that my parents were "taking" us to Disney and would be paying for everything. My DH and I made it very clear that no one was "taking" anyone to Disney, we would all pay for our own families but we would go at the same time. It got to be so irritating that we just dropped the whole idea. My parents wound up going to Disney last year with our two younger (early-20s) sisters and DH and I are currently planning a trip with them this fall. Just last night my brother again made some comment about "his turn". :confused3 My sisters both paid their own way when they went with my parents and we are paying for this trip, but apparently he can't grasp that concept. I told him it's "his turn" whenever he decides to book and pay for a trip. :rolleyes:

Last year we went on an overnight trip to Great Wolf Lodge with my parents and MIL. My brother was so obnoxious about my parents "owing" him a trip that they wound up taking him and his wife to a concert. Since DH and I payed for our trip, I have no idea why my parents "owed" my brother anything. :headache:

This is the same brother who didn't buy anything for his baby because they would get "everything" at the shower and didn't find any childcare because he was certain that I would watch his child for free because I was a SAHM. I cannot understand the sense of entitlement.

When we travel with my parents we practically have to beat them off with a stick to keep them from paying for things. We've gotten very sneaky about grabbing checks etc. I cannot even imagine expecting my parents (Mom is 77, Dad is 81) on a fixed income to pay for the trip! They paid for all the trips when I was a kid, and it is time for me to pay back! :)

I had the same thought :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Maybe we think alike cuz we're neighbors -- howdy, Olathe! Manhattan, here!

I am from in between...raised in Tonganoxie :) Worked at the phone office in Olathe for a time. Moved to Minnesota many years ago though after our first baby was born (who is now 36!)

OMG! This is why I HATE ppl.. JK! This completely selfish behavior and self centerness is what is wrong with America today..

I brought my mom on one of our trips, paid for everything including meals, gas, tickets, hotel and souveniers!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter