Admin Please Close Thread.

Anyone want to talk sump pumps? Been wanted a battery back up one for years, but other things got in the way. DH is concerned we have a rough pit that was done 45 years ago. Not a cute pit with a plastic liner thing. Will this be an issue? It's like they pour the cement floor and broken off one corner, stuck in a sump pump.
I have been dying to talk about sump pumps! :)
While not an expert in this area - might be worth a consult on it.
My grandparents bungalow from the 50s that had a sump pump in the same rough configuration with a cement floor ... over time, settling of the house, and other issues - it started creating a depression and eventually began creating a bit of a sinkhole around the placement ... don't remember the what and whys of it all ...

@jo-jo I have no idea what a sump-pump is but I like that it rhymes 🤪. I think it has something to do with a basement which is rare where I live.
sorry, I was like that when people were talking about put in whole new set of pipes in house. I never heard of that .

Anyway, in order not to have a swimming pool in your basement, a pump is put in to pump out ground water. For us, doesn’t run to often, but during one hurricane , I thought it was going to burn out. I set up a fan to help cool it off.

DH put one in our crawlspace since we had one area that would take on groundwater. He did a good job encapsulating and doing the sump pump himself. Any contractor who has been under there has complimented him on the work and how dry it is.

We had a sump pump in our basement in Ohio. I don’t recall it having any kind of power backup, but the only time we lost power for a considerable amount of time was during a winter storm, so there wasn’t as much water flowing into it at that time.

We had a sump pump in our basement in Ohio. I don’t recall it having any kind of power backup, but the only time we lost power for a considerable amount of time was during a winter storm, so there wasn’t as much water flowing into it at that time.
Once we bailed for hours. Carried water up the steps to dump. Only time time for that,but once sump pump failed and had no idea. Walked downstairs to two inches of water. We now have generator. Big enough for sump or fridge or freezer. That startup surge really draws. But a back up power would kick in while we are away. Freezer is fine for a few hours with no power. Sump pump with no power for a few hours can be bad.

OK....so sump pump talk...the NEW coffee talk....lol

True story, in my "previous life" I was a real estate agent for about 4 years. I remember on two separate occasions looking through houses with buyers where we entered the basement and the sump pump was ACTIVELY running. Not only that, but the owners did not have a crock cover so we could see down into the hole where the water was filling and the sump pump was playing the role of "the little engine that could" just pumping and pumping....bless his little heart. I gave a look to the buyers that said "yeah.....keep it moving" because it was NOT raining. It was not particularly a "wet season" and these basements would be a hot mess if the sump pump stopped working. Needless to say, these houses were crossed off the list of possibilities. To those of you who live in the south and the water table is too high to even consider a basement, this is one less thing to worry about!!

Honestly, in the 21 years we have owned our current house, we have never ONCE heard the sump pump cut on. We are lucky because we live on a hillside and the lower side of our house is a fully exposed basement. We do not have to worry about flooding. For those who are not so lucky, a battery back-up is a must or you will rue the day you chose not install that battery back-up. Flooded basements cause a host of issues.

OK....so sump pump talk...the NEW coffee talk....lol

True story, in my "previous life" I was a real estate agent for about 4 years. I remember on two separate occasions looking through houses with buyers where we entered the basement and the sump pump was ACTIVELY running. Not only that, but the owners did not have a crock cover so we could see down into the hole where the water was filling and the sump pump was playing the role of "the little engine that could" just pumping and pumping....bless his little heart. I gave a look to the buyers that said "yeah.....keep it moving" because it was NOT raining. It was not particularly a "wet season" and these basements would be a hot mess if the sump pump stopped working. Needless to say, these houses were crossed off the list of possibilities. To those of you who live in the south and the water table is too high to even consider a basement, this is one less thing to worry about!!

Honestly, in the 21 years we have owned our current house, we have never ONCE heard the sump pump cut on. We are lucky because we live on a hillside and the lower side of our house is a fully exposed basement. We do not have to worry about flooding. For those who are not so lucky, a battery back-up is a must or you will rue the day you chose not install that battery back-up. Flooded basements cause a host of issues.
Our first sump pump had an issue of pumping a lot even without a ton of rain. Turned out it didn't have a check value, so pump water up, anything left in hose, drained back into basement.

New but very old topic.......we are leaving in a few hours for disney. DH and I, one week 1 bedroom lake view BLT, 6 days one bedroom savanna view kidani. Only going to parks 5 days but hoping to get into moonlight magic. Sad we can't do most rides, but thankfully to even be going.

Since we'll have plenty of resort time, I'm sure I'll pop in. Can't wait to see next topic or what ads will pop up along with it.

New but very old topic.......we are leaving in a few hours for disney. DH and I, one week 1 bedroom lake view BLT, 6 days one bedroom savanna view kidani. Only going to parks 5 days but hoping to get into moonlight magic. Sad we can't do most rides, but thankfully to even be going.

Since we'll have plenty of resort time, I'm sure I'll pop in. Can't wait to see next topic or what ads will pop up along with it.
Hope you have a great time!

Our sump pump died the one time we really needed it and we had a minor flood I. The basement. We added a backup one at that time. It probably comes on about once a week now.

Speaking of household appliances (is a sump pump an appliance) do you leave the fan on your furnace/air conditioner (appliance?) on all of the time? This is an oblong argument of which way is right in our home.

Our sump pump died the one time we really needed it and we had a minor flood I. The basement. We added a backup one at that time. It probably comes on about once a week now.

Speaking of household appliances (is a sump pump an appliance) do you leave the fan on your furnace/air conditioner (appliance?) on all of the time? This is an oblong argument of which way is right in our home.
I have heard varying theories about leaving the fan on for the HVAC system. The general rule of thumb I have heard from the companies servicing our units over years, especially if it is equipped with an advanced air filtration (UV special filters etc) / humidification system is to leave it on. Even without - it supposedly reduces stress on the fan from all the starts / stops and does some filtration with standard filter systems.

A savanna view AKL room for a resort only stay sounds awesome! Enjoy!

I am sure it will be amazing - we have been slowly gravitating to less park days and more luxuriating around the resorts on our stays - enjoy!

I am sure it will be amazing - we have been slowly gravitating to less park days and more luxuriating around the resorts on our stays - enjoy!
Only been to WDW once. Stayed a week, never found time for the resorts. Stayed at the Grand Floridian, and basically were in the room just to sleep.

Only been to WDW once. Stayed a week, never found time for the resorts. Stayed at the Grand Floridian, and basically were in the room just to sleep.
Well than you need to come visit more often! :)
When we returned to WDW post 2020-21, from our last visit in 2017, we had some catching-up to do - but with successive trips in 2022 and twice already in 2023 - our touring style has definitely changed

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter