Addonitis Poll: How Long Did You Wait After Your 1st...

How long after your first accepted offer until you made a 2nd?

• Within 1 month

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • 1-2 months

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • 6 months to 1 year

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • More than 1 year

Votes: 66 40.0%
  • I have Addonitis Antibodies - One contract is enough

Votes: 13 7.9%

• Total voters

JoshF

Mouseketeer
I'm currently on day 35 of ROFR. I don't even have my initial account / points yet but I find myself browsing the brokers considering contract #2. This got me wondering if I'm not alone and was curious about the rest of you. How long after having an offer accepted did you wait to make another offer?

Our contract was just submitted to Disney for ROFR, and already, yes -- I'm looking at other contracts to see if I can snatch up a good deal. However, I think what we'll do first is add on points direct with Disney -- just a small amount -- so we get the direct perks. They're not even that important, but I guess I'm getting caught up in the Disney marketing machine feeling like a second-class DVC member? :)

I voted more than 1 year. It was about 18 months for us before we bought more points. I first bought SSR resale back in 2017. I did immediately add a 25 point direct contract in the same resort and same UY for member benefits, once we had an activated account, but that was planned from the beginning. I view it as part of the original purchase/plan. The 3 additional contracts I have added since (SSR, BWV, AKV) were addonitis. I am now cured though. I don't see myself adding anymore. Even with the dropping prices, I have not been tempted.

We bought resale in fall 2017 and did the direct purchase right after. That was when 25 points got you a blue card. After buying a transfer from another member for a big family trip, it only made sense for us to buy resale this spring/summer with prices dipping down. About 2.5 years between purchases. Plus as much as we love BWV, it is nice to have VGF for extended life of contract.

Technically, "within a month" on the second contract, but admittedly that was because we put in an offer for a resale contract and as soon as we passed ROFR, we bought direct points for the same resort (BRV) and UY (Sep).

But for real, it was "3-6 months" when we ended up putting in an offer for a new contract (AKL, also Sep UY).

We bought our first contract in October 2019 and bought our second in December. We just had our 3rd go to ROFR. I keep telling my husband I am done, but if something comes up, you never know😊

Resale was the way to go for pricing, but there was no way I was going to be a second class DVC member, so I added 75 direct points at VGF about a week after I had an accepted offer on the initial contract.

2006 was our 1st (200 OKW resale). Then 2 more in 2012 (50 and 25 HHI resale). And a bunch almost every year after for 10 total (4 direct and 6 resale) from 2006 to 2018. Sold 2 and currently have 3 more in ROFR that we're selling. Will be down to 5. Addonitis cured!

Edit to add...2012 is when our addonitis really hit. We started getting APs in 2011. My SIL also bought DVC and we liked to do family trips together. We started doing multiple trips a year. Then in 2013 we discovered F&W and began going for that every year. At some point we started to consider buying enough points for 6-8 weeks snowbirding at WDW down the line. We figured we'd need about 1500 points. We bought 750 points and were well on our way.

Then Disney and DVC started changing in bad ways and our trips were always seeming to be disappointing and full of issues where afterwards we felt like we spent all that money for crap. Felt cheated a bit. We would tweek and make our trips work for us and the mouse would make a change and eliminate whatever little tweek trick we were using. Latest was adding gondola drop to our beloved back IG. We added 255 BWV points mainly for use of that quiet and easy back IG to our very fave Park. Anyway...change in plans. No snowbirding at WDW. No more buying APs for multiple trips. Back to original, 2006, plan of 1 trip every 12-18 months. So 325 points is good enough. Addonitis cured!

Last edited:
Bought our 100 VGC points resale July 2017-and then grabbed 25 direct at AKV that December right before the minimum for direct benefits rose. Totally worth it.

I hit it bad. First Contract direct was in October. Add on resale # 1 was in November, number 2 was in december and added more direct in January. All done for now and satisfied:)

After we bought CCV direct we put in an offer for SSR resale within a couple weeks. My plan was to add on a bunch of resale points after we bought our CCV points, so we continued to add on over the next year and a half. I think we're finally done now.

I bought BWV in September 1999, 250 points, swore I’d never buy more. I did consider VGC when it opened but I didn’t think I could swing it financially. I did manage to get in at 7 months but had to take a 1 bedroom sometimes. As the price soared, I regretted not buying. My 401K did really well last year, so when I saw a 150 point resale on January 2, I sent an offer and it was almost immediately accepted. So 20 years and 4 months!

Bought 3 contracts within 4 months. Just bought a 4th contract (waiting on ROFR), a little less than 3 years from buying our first.

I also have my first contract sent to ROFR (June5). I am hoping to add a small 50 pt contract at a different resort. I am trying to wait until winter to see if prices drop a little but am keeping an eye on the listings. I have an Oct use year so will definitely consider it if a resort I am looking for pops up with 50 points with Oct use year.
I have seen a few things I wouldn’t mind such as a Poly 75pt or SSR 65 but not really wanting more than 50 at this point.
If a year passes and I haven’t found what I am looking for I might start looking at other use years or a few extra points.
Covid is playing a big part in my hesitance right now. Dh and I are both full time essential employees. I worry a bit about what will happen if I need to give up full time to watch the kids if schools close again. Once we are through the fall and have a better idea of what is happening I might be more willing to part with $$.

I voted for "more than a year" because it will be at least that long by the time we do add on. Although, technically, we added on before bought! We were initially considering 100 points, but we got addonitis while doing our research and ultimately decided on a 220 point contract.

After closing on that contract, we almost immediately started talking about adding another 100 points, but have been able to resist the urge up until this point. Currently watching the market closely and prepared to pull the trigger on that additional 100 points if the price is right.

ETA: Recently "caved" and made an offer for an add-on contract (11 months after first contract).

Last edited:
2009- 1st contract
2010- 2nd
2011- 3rd--Why not? The prices were still so LOW it was hard to resist.

Then, we were content for quite some time in the one-bedrooms....but kids grow and the next thing you know, you want more room.

early June 2020- 4th
end June 2020- 5th

Two bedrooms all the way! :flower1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter