Add a 4th partial day? First trip!

Is 5 days the most you can do? I currently have a 5-day hopper with my hotel (package reservation) and was thinking about adding another day on so I could hit DL Sunday afternoon/evening for fireworks - but I don't see anything other than 5 day tickets.

Is 5 days the most you can do? I currently have a 5-day hopper with my hotel (package reservation) and was thinking about adding another day on so I could hit DL Sunday afternoon/evening for fireworks - but I don't see anything other than 5 day tickets.

My TA answered. Only up to 5 day tickets. :/ Whomp, whomp.

1. For the partial day that we arrive (Dec 22nd), is it possible that we would get shut out if we get there around noon? Is there any chance we will get to ride some rides? It seems like people say you have to get there right at the beginning of a busy day for any hope to ride something? (If not, maybe we would prioritize shows?)
2. For Sunday Dec 26th.....do we have to get in right at the beginning of the day? I've heard the crowds will be crazy that day. If we got there at 9 am would that be really bad?

Thanks!!
1. I seriously doubt it. You’ll always get to ride something but the 20 min lines will be long gone. Anyone who arrives late and says they couldn’t ride anything isn’t trying imo.
2. I would arrive much earlier, at least an hour before opening, if you want to make the most of that day. We went on the 26th Dec in 2019 and the crowds were moderate but that was a weekday. The 26th is a weekend day this year so that will probably make a difference as the parks can reach capacity between Christmas and New Year.

Thank you so much for that perspective. I was discouraged from doing more days *because* of the crowds (like, it might not be worth it if lines are too long??) - I didn't even think about it taking the pressure off of each day.

$200 is definitely worth that (well, it will actually be $180 because we booked through Costco and will get a higher gift certificate as a reward).

1. For the partial day that we arrive (Dec 22nd), is it possible that we would get shut out if we get there around noon? Is there any chance we will get to ride some rides? It seems like people say you have to get there right at the beginning of a busy day for any hope to ride something? (If not, maybe we would prioritize shows?)
2. For Sunday Dec 26th.....do we have to get in right at the beginning of the day? I've heard the crowds will be crazy that day. If we got there at 9 am would that be really bad?

Thanks!!
Here is my recommendation for the first day of a first trip to Disneyland.
If you are arriving around noon Dec 22nd, begin your time in the parks at DCA not DL.

And here is why, it will give you time enjoying DCA while you wait for the sun to set at 4:48PM. Around sunset Carsland has the ShaBoom lighting, where all the neon lights come on in staggered fashion with the music.

We like to get a snack and sit on a bench where we can see all the signs light up. You can ask one of the CM’s what the anticipated time will be for the evening. I believe there is about a 15 +/- minute window of time the CM has noted on their info sheet.

Once the sun is down and it is night time you can now hop over to DL.
I feel DL at night time is so much more magical whether it’s a first trip or not.

As you are walking down Disneyland's Main Street for the very first time, the lights and music with the view of the Castle and Holiday Décor is breath-taking. Making for a top memory of a first trip to Disneyland.

Geemo

I would add the 22nd. Also you can get a 7am virtual queue reservation and use it at any time assuming the policy on that doesn’t change. So you could potentially get one of the big rides knocked out on your half day (which is good, because I think the parks are going to be backed on your other days)

Has anyone had success adding days to an existing ticket? I reached out out via app chat and was told that ticket upgrades can only be handled in person at the resort. Surely, this can't be possible?
Currently, short of having your tickets refunded and buying new ones (which I’m not even sure they’re allowing anymore), yes this is currently the only way to add days. And it does suck because there is always the risk park reservations will be gone by the time you can do it in person.

Thank you so much for that perspective. I was discouraged from doing more days *because* of the crowds (like, it might not be worth it if lines are too long??) - I didn't even think about it taking the pressure off of each day.

$200 is definitely worth that (well, it will actually be $180 because we booked through Costco and will get a higher gift certificate as a reward).

Thanks!!
1. There will always be something to ride if you are willing to wait. As OP said, try for a BG that day before you leave home (we do this before our flight) and redeem it at whatever time you arrive. They are generally letting you use the BG whenever, as long as it is not earlier than the return time. This may change with G+. But either way, you can standby, go to Animation Academy, blow out all the Photopass shots you can do, etc. Pin trade? Mine love that.
2. Yes crowds will be nuts and will be less if you get there an hour before RD as OP stated. But you will be tired and that just may not work. If someone is an early riser and BGs are still in play, one person can get a BG for all to be used later that morning. Whatever time you get there, you can get in a line for something. Just think of it all as a bonus day. You spend more than $60 on coffee or other stuff all the time. This fun will be worth at least that!

I would definitely add both days if possible. Doing an afternoon in DCA the first day to see sunset in Cars Land without feeling like you are missing anything else is pretty great, and you can always hop to DL after if you want to check out the lay of the land so to speak. And the last day, getting a few more memories or photos in that you might have skipped during your main park days, or waiting in line for that one ride everyone just HAS to experience (again) can really make the trip. If you aren't going to do a park day the last day, it can also be fun to end with the character breakfast outside the park at DLH (Goofy's Kitchen) or GC (Storytellers). But either way, starting with a partial day sounds perfect to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter