Acronyms... ®¿®

EastCoast

Earning My Ears
Yesterday was my first day on the posting boards. I must have spent a few hours reading messages to see how most DVC members feel about their decision to join. In doing so, I realized that most postings include one or more acronyms. For the benefit of all, especially to help to acclimate "newbies", I thought that the board should include a post of commonly used acronyms. Make sense?

Then, guys like me would know whether a "ressie" refers to a “reservation” or a “resale”... whether “GV” stands for a "great view" or a "great vacation"... and if “DH” means the author just called her spouse a "dumb husband" or if it simply means something like a "Disney Haunt".

Any moderators (or member) out there care to comment?

Thanks,
EC

Hi, welcome to the dis, somewhere on either wdwinfo.com or wdwig.com, theres a list, but the most commonly used ones aren't on it. If you have any specific questions, however, i can help you out.

GV is grand villa ( a 3 bedroom villa)
anything w/ d infront of it is either dear son(ds), dear daughter-dd
so,dh is dear husband
ressie is reservation

Thanks to mooses41 and Terry S for your replies.

I had to laugh when told that DH means Dear Husband instead of my guess of Dumb Husband. And for the those who may not realize it, Terry's link works only if the trailing period (.) is dropped. But it is a valid URL and the list was helpful !!!

Thank you,
EC

I was thinking that someone was hopped up on goof balls when I read the Goofy is God comment then I realized that it was in answer to a legitimate question! :p

Some DVC specific ones may not be on the list. I noticed that GV wasn't.

BTW, sometimes DH can mean anything *but* "dear!" ;) Insert derrogatory word of your choice!

Welcome!

Thanks to Terry for providing the link.

It is a bit confusing. Every so often a new one will pop-up and you think :confused: :confused: :confused:

Eventually, you get the hang of it.

BTW, you'll notice that MIL never has a "D" in front of it.;) ;)

Just ask away if you have any DVC questions!!!:D

And here I was thinking I was "on the ball"! I've always thought that DH, DD, DS, stood for Disney-husband, daughter, son!!!:o

I like the "Disney" interpretation for the "D" in front of the DH, DW, DD, DS acros. It's more in tune with the fanatical (and I mean that in the positive sense) nature of most of the posts on this board. Actualy, before I tracked down the abbreviations, that's what I figured it was. Besides, for me the "Dear" interpretation is assumed (I think).

LOL!! I guess the 'D' is somewhat subjective depending on the attitude that is demostrated in the message by the Author.

Bryant

Thanks to all for your responses... and POOH&PIGLET for your welcome message.

Hmmmmm, I was thinking about the acronyms that are NOT listed anywhere but I would like to see.

Alphabetically, try these:

KWIM = Know What I Mean
MYIM = Meet You In Mexico (Epcot)
TCB = Transportation Center Blues (when monorail can't pull into station)
TDBT = Those Darn/Damn/Darling Brazilian Tours (Ooops, there's that 'D' again)
WCHM = Water Costs How Much?

Hi Everyone,

I think I am the only one who wishes people wouldn't use so many abbreviations. I AM getting used to it but I find it distracting and a little annoying. I know this is the computer age, but is it really so hard to type actual words instead of a couple of letters?
I know people are busy busy busy. I know many people are not proficient typists or they don't spell very well. I think that typing out the words is good practice and it makes the post more pleasurable for the reader.
I have caught myself using the acronyms a little more often lately and I am going to stop doing it. I know it's no big deal, it just bugs me.
Does anyone agree with me?
sarcblink.gif

Mary Ann
in sunny hot South Florida :sunny:

Actually, I usually prefer to avoid all except the most common acronyms which is why my original post (and the mini-list of additions) was done TIC (tongue in cheek).

KWIM?

Hey, stop that !

Sorry, Arghhhhh !

Hey East Coast,
I got a chuckle out of your additions! I'm trying to make some up of my own but I have writer's block.
monalisa.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter