Accessible room not by choice

Fair point.

Though it could be part of how the reservation list is made available to the room assigners. The list of "here's the rooms you need to assign today" has to be sorted in some way, actually seems pretty reasonable that it would be based on booking date. This sorting could be done completely invisibly to them, too, so they wouldn't even know it was based on this.

It also is heavily dependent on check in and out too. Someone in a HA room is vacating and someone else who needs it is checking in only x amount of days later, and you might be the only one with a stay that fits between the two.

But, as mentioned, when things are booked close to 100%, people are going to get them even when they don’t need them.

Reactions: ehh
I remember getting a HA studio, which we didn't ask for, on our first DVC stay. When we called the front desk, saying that we needed a bathtub, I remember her laughing and saying "well, now that you're DVC, a tub is just a request-not a guarantee". Another time, when we got a HA studio after I specifically asked "Is this studio HA?" and she proudly said "Oh, No it isn't", the front desk manager told me that that was because "the CMs at the front desk don't know if the unit is HA or not." Um, but she said it wasn't, not that she didn't know! There've been a few other times, too, so I got into the habit of researching the HA villa room #s, so I'd know whether it was HA as soon as we got the room assignment.

I remember getting a HA studio, which we didn't ask for, on our first DVC stay. When we called the front desk, saying that we needed a bathtub, I remember her laughing and saying "well, now that you're DVC, a tub is just a request-not a guarantee". Another time, when we got a HA studio after I specifically asked "Is this studio HA?" and she proudly said "Oh, No it isn't", the front desk manager told me that that was because "the CMs at the front desk don't know if the unit is HA or not." Um, but she said it wasn't, not that she didn't know! There've been a few other times, too, so I got into the habit of researching the HA villa room #s, so I'd know whether it was HA as soon as we got the room assignment.
I would be super interested to know these room numbers. I usually just add "top floor" as a request (and "Building 12" if we are in a studio since I don't like that the top floor studios in Building 11 aren't completely covered). I'm wondering if I should start adding "not an HA room" as a request. I'm surprised so many people on here have gotten HA rooms at HHI. We've only had the one night in one, but I'm starting to wonder if we've just been lucky.

We have been given a HA room a few times. It always seems to be at Grand Floridian. We are in the baby/toddler stage so not having a bathtub really makes our stay difficult. We have always kindly asked the desk at the villas if they can help and I swear every time they say I wish the room assigners would look at the ages on the reservations. We just roll with the assignment if it’s an all adult trip, but have been lucky with the front desk changing to a standard room. They actually moved us once from a HA studio with just a shower to a HA 1br, but the 1br had a tub/shower combo so it worked and the extra space was nice. Playing defense against a toddler on the appliances that were at his height was a different beast!

Yep. I have. It wasn't the most convenient room we've ever had (the shower did make a mess), but it was completely workable. I didn't even THINK to ask to be moved, since we were in a Boardwalk View room and I know that books to capacity. Moving simply moves another member into that room - and can cause downstream issues because it does have to be available when its needed for its purpose (i.e. if I was put in it because I was checking out on Thursday and someone who needed the HA room was checking in on Thursday, moving me and putting in someone checking out on Friday would have created issues that the front desk really can't see when they do me the favor of moving me.)

We've been given HA rooms a couple of times. The one we got at BWV was actually kind of awesome. It was really spacious. But I did miss the tub that trip. So, now I look at our room assignment in the app before we go to the room to see if it has "HA" in the description. If it does, I'll go to the front desk to see if they have a non-HA room for us, as I really prefer to have a tub.

I have gotten them a couple times (AKV and VGC for sure). But never one with a roll in shower. I prefer the regular rooms, but I realize someone has to get the HA and occasionally it has to be my turn.

if when searching for a room on the booking tool, if all that is available is the accessible room, is there an issue with me booking it?

We got one once at POP, so have no idea what DVC rooms are like. I am looking into them for booking. Since you all are experts, what is the roll in shower like and tub/shower set up? Also in what rooms are the beds lower? This past trip, we brought a half step for DH to get in and out of bed.

This has probably been covered, but we've done a couple last minute trips to Vero and ended up in an HA room. I asked if HA was in our profile and they said, no, it's just because you've booked on short notice and those rooms hadn't been filled yet

I need an HA studio if there’s not a Walk in Shower. We bought at VGF specifically because it has a walk in shower. Once at VGF we had been given a HA studio with a tub and I was so disappointed. Luckily they changed us after a night, but I had to talk hard and long how I just cannot use a tub. It was very stressful.

I need an HA studio if there’s not a Walk in Shower. We bought at VGF specifically because it has a walk in shower. Once at VGF we had been given a HA studio with a tub and I was so disappointed. Luckily they changed us after a night, but I had to talk hard and long how I just cannot use a tub. It was very stressful.
The VGF resort studios have a combination - shower head in the tub. Do the VGF deluxe studios all have a walk-in shower?

The VGF resort studios have a combination - shower head in the tub. Do the VGF deluxe studios all have a walk-in shower?
Yes, in the DVC building, all non HA studios have a split bathroom. There are three areas, one is a regular bathtub with a shower head, a throne area and a walk in shower with a slight edge that I can easily step over.

The HA STUDIO they gave me only had a tub, I guess there was a shower head, I could not use that tub at all, and the throne.

We were assigned a HA room a BWV last trip. We have a baby so we really needed the tub. I went to the front desk and they moved us to a different room.

This December we stayed at BLT. We had already received 'room not ready' but now we always check in at BLT because we've had band trouble there previously (one year they had DH coded as a minor). As the CM was checking the bands he said I could place you in a room so we took it. I should've realized it was an accessible room. My biggest problems with those rooms are the toilet height cause I'm short. LOL

We've gotten HA rooms often at OKW when one was not requested, buit just went ahead and kept it. Not a lot of difference in one bedrooms, but studios have no tub. However, we also requested 1st floor, as Mom needed a wheelchaior in the parks. And at OKW, ALL the HA units are on the first floor, as there are no elevators, except in bldgs 62, 63 and 64. Requesting a 1st floor at OKW greatly increases your chance of being assigned to an HA unit. IF you absolutley do NOT want an HA room at OKW request an upped floor, your chances would be very slim of being assigned an HA room, then, unless they put you in the elevator buildings.

Has anyone had the odd experience where they were put in an accessible room and a regular room was available?

It happened to me this last trip and I had to request a room change because the shower just didn't work right.

I find it odd they put people in a room they didn't request when the one they did request was obviously available.
I hate the shower in those rooms, with the chair folded up. I realize people need them but I find it hard to believe it is sanitized. Just grosses me out.

I had it happen the first time I rented DVC at Beach Club. We asked if there were any other rooms available and were told no.
Everything worked though, although everything was lower. We did move the coffee table into the bathroom (opposite end of the shower) because there was no counter space whatsoever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter