Absolute Best Advice For A DL Newbie

It looks like you're talking June 2018. Assuming that's correct, if you're considering a hotel along Harbor Blvd. at all, I'd familiarize yourself with what's being called the "Eastern Gateway" project. There are a couple of very long discussions on it, but here's a thread that offers a quick video of what is being planned Disneyland Eastern Gateway preview video. There's still tons of speculation and it appears political haggling going on in regards to the project, but my point is this could impact which hotels you choose and why. That is if they're anywhere close to completion in 2018, which I believe was the original projection.

We're making our first trip to DLR this June and are staying across the street at the Best Western Park Place Inn. This new gateway entrance would potentially affect our hotel decision, if it all goes as currently planned. If it was me, I'd be looking into the progress on that project when you're ready to make your hotel reservations.

Closer, actually. From the main gates to DLH is a little less than half a mile. From Contemporary to MK is about .6 miles.

That has always made the CR worth every penny!

I know that the Grand Californian has it's own entrance to DCL. Is it worth shelling out the extra cash to stay there?

When you say things are close together, how long of a walk is it to the main park entrances from, say, the Disneyland hotel? Is it comparable to waking from the Contemporary to MK?

We recently stayed at the DL Hotel and the walk felt shorter than the one from the Contemporary. A bonus too is that security is before you enter DTD and there are all sorts of meal/ breakfast choices as you walk to the parks. I'd highly recommend the DL Hotel it was awesome.

Also being WDW regulars we found DL to really be about the rides not so much ADRs/ character meets/ or experiences that are at WDW. Some characters will just walk around the park and not sign autographs or take pictures, so don't let that be a surprise. Most of the ques are outside so they aren't interactive, it will feel very old school. DL also feels really cramped and small if you are used to MK so using the FP system and preparing to stand in some lines is important. If you have access to the EMHs use them they are well worth it.

I know that the Grand Californian has it's own entrance to DCL. Is it worth shelling out the extra cash to stay there?
The entrance is right next to the Grizzly Rapids ride. There have been times when we have been totally soaked coming off of Grizzly Rapids and went back to our room to change clothes and got back into the park in about 15 minutes. For me, the entrance/location is extremely valuable, but the price of that hotel has become ridiculous. We still stay there once in a while, but I cannot ever tell anyone that it is worth $600/night to stay there. To me it is the best choice around if money is no object, but it is a far cry from resorts not around Anaheim for the same price or even half the price. In other words, you do not get what you pay for, but it may still be the best choice in the area.

That has always made the CR worth every penny!

The entrance is right next to the Grizzly Rapids ride. There have been times when we have been totally soaked coming off of Grizzly Rapids and went back to our room to change clothes and got back into the park in about 15 minutes. For me, the entrance/location is extremely valuable, but the price of that hotel has become ridiculous. We still stay there once in a while, but I cannot ever tell anyone that it is worth $600/night to stay there. To me it is the best choice around if money is no object, but it is a far cry from resorts not around Anaheim for the same price or even half the price. In other words, you do not get what you pay for, but it may still be the best choice in the area.
This is pretty much what I was going to stay. I haven't stayed there (yet), but I would say it's not worth it for that reason alone. You may find that it's worth it depending on your budget and things you want out of a hotel, but if that's the one thing you're trying to justify spending $100-$200 more per night, I would say no.

Someone mentioned getting familiar with the layout beforehand but I want to specifically mention that Disneyland and MK do NOT have the same layout so don't go in thinking you know how to navigate! This may seem like a no-brainer but I got turned around so many times because I ~thought~ I knew where I was going...

Also like everyone said, there's no need to be quite so detailed in a touring plan but if you are putting together a rough plan for your days it may be helpful to know that DL and DCA don't really empty out in the evenings like WDW parks do. This depends on AP dates and whatnot, but a lot of locals come in after work and whatnot to get some food and watch the show or something. So don't plan on lines being shorter in the later part of the day.

Along that line, people camp out for the nightly entertainment. I got to WOC like 60 minutes early because my feet were dead and I just wanted to sit for a while and I was still pretty far back in my section.

I don't have too much experience with CA, but the kids loved the bugs' life area, and I thought the boardwalk was really fun. The Mickey wheel moving cart (whatever they are called) scared the bejeebus out of me, far more than I expected.
This was my least favorite experience in either park. When we were there, there was no line on either side. Most of our party went on the regular side. My parents and I did not. We were miserable!

There is a reason it is called Mickey's Wheel of Death! ;)

:wizard:

The main thing has already been mentioned, stay close by, walk to the park if you can, and understand that it's all much closer together and faster to navigate, :).

Don't go around holidays and obviously week days are your best bet for lower crowds ;).

I'll share the one rule I have for myself. I always have one meal a day with a reservation. Quick service is really great at DL, and as others have said, it is so great not to have to do a whole lot of planning like at WDW, BUT...crowd levels are very unpredictable, and I personally get tired and cranky and just worn out if I need a meal, lines are long, and there's nowhere to sit. Just having a place to sit, regroup, get my steam back up...it saves the day if the parks are crowded. Or, if you don't want to make any reservations, know ahead of time when places like the French Market or Harbour Galley open for the day. If you are there before lines build, no problem at all.

You may do it differently, with nap breaks or whatever, but I just share what works well for us.

Have a wonderful first visit!

Be at the gates at least 30 mins before rope drop. It makes all the difference in my day.

Also, after the fireworks, enjoy the quieter crowds for the rest of the night.

Makes for long days but both times are the best.

I second all of these :)

Especially the food options, There are SO MANY great options, but most sit down places are difficult to get into without ADR during peak times. Also, some CS/carts can take a solid 20 min of line time, and if it's busy you're looking for a place to sit (often outside if it's hot) Our group gets cranky when hungry. So near-immediate seating, often indoors with AC is. GREAT break. We do carts for snacks.

We also normally eat lunch on a regular weekend at 1:00-1:30, but if your arriving at 7:00 or so for EE/EMH, 6 hours is a really long time, we usually make our reservations for 11-11:30 for lunch

Four nights at DL? Stay on property at the DisneyLand Hotel or the Disney Grand if you can:mic:. Take your own sweet time time doing everything! The best DL vacation we ever had was our first trip without a schedule. We went to each section of the park and went in every building we could :-), we rode every ride, we had a blast:yay:. After lunch each day, we went back to the DLH we were staying at, went to the pools and Hot-tubs:cool1:. Went back to DL in time to see the afternoon parade. We didn't close the parks every night but, we came close.:earsboy::earsgirl:

Call Walt Disney Travel Company(Google it), get a notepad and be ready to spend an hour or so on the phone with them. They will have lots of questions for you. They have more information about the parks than anyone, they can make all your hotel and dining reservations. They can tell you the cost for everything. We have booked all our trips in the last eight or nine years through WDTC and have not been disappointed. :mickeyjum. Last advise, once again, :hyper2:, take your own sweet time touring the parks. You have four days or so, enjoy it and take lots of pictures pixiedust:.

What is the general feeling on early morning hours - is it better to hit the park that opens an hour early as long as you get there before they open, or should you avoid the early morning park?

What is the general feeling on early morning hours - is it better to hit the park that opens an hour early as long as you get there before they open, or should you avoid the early morning park?
You need to be more specific. Are you talking Magic Morning/Extra Magic Hour? Or arriving at rope drop for regular opening?

You need to be more specific. Are you talking Magic Morning/Extra Magic Hour? Or arriving at rope drop for regular opening?

Yes, Magic Morning/EMH. We will be there at rope drop regardless.

Yes, Magic Morning/EMH. We will be there at rope drop regardless.
I think I can speak for just about everyone that it is a no brainer to do MM/EMH at DLR. At DL most (including me) would suggest focusing on FantasyLand where you can make your way through 6-9 rides in an hour that would take 4 hours later in the day.

Expanding on this, for those staying at a DLR hotel and have EMH every day, when you are there during high season and the parks open at 8AM, doing a 7AM EMH every day is very difficult. The last time we tried I think we made it 2 of the 4 mornings, with a third morning we made it to DCA EMH about 30 minutes after it began.

When you are there and the parks open at 9AM or 10AM, then the (8AM or 9AM) EMH is a lot easier to make for mere mortals and perhaps more valuable.

For those not staying at a DLR hotel, but who have a MM, my advice again is similar to others: use it on the first possible day you can - preferably on day 1 - especially when it is a 7AM MM. If you put MM off to later in your trip, you may find out you are too tired to get up that early and the MM gets wasted. If you can get to DLR the day before MM and get to bed at a reasonable time, your best chance to really enjoy the MM is on Day 1 when you are fresh.

Additionally, for rope drop folks who do not have MM, it is also a no brainer to go to the park without EMH each day so you are on a level playing field with everyone else. EMH/MM affects wait times for rides mostly in the first hour (or two) of each day so if you are a late arriver then do not worry about which park has EMH/MM because EMH/MM effect will be diluted by the time you arrive.

Finally, since DL only has FantasyLand and TomorrowLand rides open during EMH/MM, then it will be fine to rope drop DL without you having EMH/MM as long as you "turn left" when you get to the hub. In other words, the rides in AdventureLand/FrontierLand/New Orleans Square/Critter Country are all closed during EMH/MM so if you start there at rope drop you are on a level playing field with all the EMH/MM folks already in the park. Focus on the "left side" for the first hour or two and you will be fine in this case.

DCA essentially has all headliners and all lands open during EMH so the same trick will not work there as normal rope drop arrivers will find lines built up (to some degree) for every major ride when they finally get into the park.

Note for WDW vets - the EMH/MM effect on park attendance at DLR is not nearly as pronounced as at WDW because there are just not that many people using EMH/MM at DLR compared to WDW EMH. I personally almost always avoid WDW parks with AM or PM EMH even if I have EMH privileges - which I always have. The WDW hotel guests pack into the EMH parks and skew crowds. It is not like that at DLR, so no need to totally avoid the EMH/MM park.

If EMH/MM has less of an effect at DLR than at WDW, would you say that it's a better idea to go to DCA on a Wednesday or a Saturday in the summer, assuming you plan to arrive a half hour before rope drop? Or not much difference?

The other day will be a beach day, and we will also be at DCA on Sunday morning (relaxed touring) and evening (hopefully WOC dessert party), so we don't plan to pack everything at DCA into one day. Priorities will be GoGToT, TSMM, Soarin', and of course Carsland.

If EMH/MM has less of an effect at DLR than at WDW, would you say that it's a better idea to go to DCA on a Wednesday or a Saturday in the summer, assuming you plan to arrive a half hour before rope drop? Or not much difference?

The other day will be a beach day, and we will also be at DCA on Sunday morning (relaxed touring) and evening (hopefully WOC dessert party), so we don't plan to pack everything at DCA into one day. Priorities will be GoGToT, TSMM, Soarin', and of course Carsland.
I would say not much difference in the summer.

I'd suggest getting the official app ...it has a map in case you do get turned around, and wait times for rides (as well as closures), etc - and if a restaurant has an open time, you can make a reservation almost last minute using it (although it isn't super intuitive to get to dining reservations, it's doable).

Does DL usually open at 8am in the summertime regularly? A 7am EMH would be right up our alley!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter