Above ground Pools w/deck are they tacky? if you have one what do you think?

We have an above ground pool with NO deck but we have gotten so much use out of the silly thing that I have come to not care! It was $400 at Sam's Club and we are on year 4 with it. I got a 3 tiered fountain we attached to the filter to "class" it up:goodvibes I love the sound of the fountain...We are tacky and proud!

Good for you!! I think that's awesome. Think of how much $$ you have saved, and fun you've had! :thumbsup2

We have an above ground pool with NO deck but we have gotten so much use out of the silly thing that I have come to not care! It was $400 at Sam's Club and we are on year 4 with it. I got a 3 tiered fountain we attached to the filter to "class" it up:goodvibes I love the sound of the fountain...We are tacky and proud!
Oh my, how did you possibly own up to that in a public forum. And one from Sam's Club at that!

I think the rich snobs need to mind their own dang business instead of fretting how "tacky" us poor people are. So I have an Intex pool as well. And I do not have a deck around it (would like one though, maybe next year.) The "tackiness" of an above ground pool is just the rich snobs mad now because a pool use to be for them, but now there are cheap alternatives for us poor folk.

Put up an above ground pool. Put up one of those cheap blowup ring pools. Heck, put it in your front yard and tell all the rich snobs to mind their own business! :thumbsup2

The kids love our 22' cheap Intex pool, especially since there isn't a public pool around for them to go to.

if that's your house, it looks like you have a lovely home with a big back yard. Just remember to check local codes when you install a pool and deck..some places require you to have the entire are fenced in!

yup our backyard... thanks :flower3:

we just got done with a remodel/build this spring in the house,, & just when my hubby thought he had downtime this project came up...:rotfl2:

you can't actually see it in the picture but the whole acre backyard has a 6 foot fence around it,,, because of the dogs. we have 17 acres, but we need to keep the dogs contained to run... they are afghans & they would be gone in a flash if we didn't have tall fencing ( the only drawback to them :scared:)

& speaking of the dogs, several of you mentioned landscaping...:lmao:
with all the dogs tearing through wherever they want,, plants are just not gonna happen :worried:

that would be a wonderful idea,, but I think we will have to go with lattice around the bottom of the decking. I might be able to work out climbing plants or something stuck tight against the fence... hmm will have to think about it,

& just to bore you guys,, I might just add more pictures of progress,

:artist:

I have an in ground pool, so I don't particularly like above ground, but you really don't see them here in FL. I actually can't think of one I've seen in my area. Now, I know up north, it's a lot more common and adding the deck around it would definitely enhance it. I wouldnt wrinkle my nose if I visited a house with an above ground pool, but I wouldn't have one myself. I just don't like them.

I would be thinking "Cool, you have a pool!" As long as they are kept in good repair, they are not tacky! Just because something isn't as nice doesn't mean it's automatically tacky.

I have an above ground pool with a deck around half of it. Personally I hate the way above ground pools look with or without a deck, but when its 90+ and I'm floating around in it, I really don't care :)

Neither of these are my pool, but they look nice

022.jpg

above-ground-pool-deck-pics.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the above ground pool because Our yards here in cali would not be able to hold plus extra room. I do like the pictures you posted of the above ground with the decks. No room for deck here in our yard but i think if you have the room it would be cool!

The reason i dont like the above ground pool is because if a kid happens to get in you can't see in and i freak out about it. Now if there a deck i like you can look down into the pool.

We have a 28-ft above ground pool, with a gorgeous Trex deck attached to the house and then out to the pool. It's a gray deck with white vinyl fencing. We also have a hot tub recessed into the deck, and beautiful landscaping around it. We spent around $15,000 for absolutely everything, which is less than half the cost of just an in-ground pool. After you spend 30 grand on the pool (around here that's what it costs) you then need concrete around it, a fence, landscaping, etc. I could not justify the cost of an in ground. We love our yard and pool!

We have the same. Just got the pool last summer and DH has been building a deck from our slider doors out, attaching to a higher deck at the pool. ALso gray trex with white railing. I love it, think it looks fabulous. But it did cost a fortune, even with DH building it. Still, it is less than 1/2 the cost of an inground. I would love an inground, but the amount of time we can use it in new england doesn't make it worth it, to me. Seems just about everyone we know has a similar above ground pool.
I'm jealous of your hot tub. ;)

My parents recently bought an above ground Intex, basic round pool. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it's in the back garden that isn't visible to all and sundry. They went that route because they wanted to try out having a pool before committing to a permanent one (they've never had a pool in their life - we always just went to the beach). They weren't sure if they wanted the maintenance and weren't ready to dig a hole in the ground. Both my brother and I live next door (it's like a family compound) and our kids love to play in the pool on hot days when we don't make it to the beach. We really don't care what others think - the above ground pool is working for us at the moment and we will enjoy it no matter what!

I have one and I love it. We're in a unique situation in that our house opens up onto a deck that is about 3 feet off the ground to start with, so, the pool deck is only 2 steps up. We put it in this year, and it's absolutely, hands down, the best purchase I've ever made...ever. We're in it almost every day.

An in ground pool would have run us 30K+. We spent $7K and got a pool, the electrical, the install, and the deck (built ourselves). Our deck only goes about 1/4 of the way around, but it's fine with us. Next year's project is a hot tub next to it!

Go for it. You won't regret it!

Kristen

Our first house had this. They had made it look amazing. First of all, you couldn't tell right away it was an above ground pool. They excavated and basically buried a good part of it. Then they surrounded it with really pretty decking that was nicely landscaped. So you walked out of the back door, onto the decking, and there was the pool, which you stepped down into, like an inground pool. I thought it was an ingenious way to have a pool without all the $$$.

Many of my friends have these - kind of a hybrid, and they look great! I'm not a fan of typical above ground pools. I don't know what you mean about getting a cover, and using it year-round. I've had an inground pool forever, and it's used 3 months out of the year (and heated), and covered/winterized in the winter. I've never heard of anyone here in the NE using their pool over the winter - some have pushed it until October, but it's expensive to heat.

I've seen some above ground pools that looked great, that had a nice deck around them, and that had some nice landscape around them.

Then, I've seen some that I thought did indeed look tacky.

I would have dearly loved an inground pool,,, they are just so gorgeous...& my plan was to build a cover for it to be used all year round.
*sigh*
well that just is not in the cards, can't justify the expense of 20,000+ to even start it. so we have done nothing..
until 2 weeks ago . my daughter & her hubby decide they want a pool in the backyard ( they live in attached home). at first looked at steel w/liner inground pools, but I pointed out neither of the men are that young anymore to do THAT kind of install,, & any inground installed just too pricey.....
soo decided on an above ground.. (18x33,,,, almost got the 21x40)

anyway,, my hubby just kinda sighs.. that the pool with a deck around it just looks tacky....... I dunno.
how do you guys feel about above ground pools? do you have a deck,, ? like it?hate it?
I have seen ideas on decks ( we are still in drawing plans on one) that look pretty nice, but its STILL not the same as an inground.:(

we have a 8 &12 foot deck back out the back of our house, & will add the pool connected to the 8 ft part with a couple stairs up.. then have the long side of pool with a 12 deck out the side. backside of pool will have nothing.

DSCN0813.JPG

Well let me tell you my experience!! We put in an inground pool 20 years ago along with a deck and concrete walk around. Total cost was $25,000. It looked very nice. Come to present day - kids are gone and we barely use the pool - Just 2 to 3 times during the summer. Cost for early maintenance is around $500 per summer - except last year which cost $4000 to replace liner.

Six months after we put our pool, deck and walkaround in our neighbor 2 doors down put in an above ground oval pool. He put in a deck coming off the house with a really cut bridge to the second deck that surrounds the pool. At one end of the deck with the pool, he put a gazebo. The whole look is stunning!! If I had seen this before I did mine, I would have done the same thing.

My problem is, we can't ever get rid of the pool except for filling it in with dirt which would make the yard look horrible. Our neighbor, however, built the deck in such a way that if he every wants to get rid of the pool, he just has to put the floor of the deck where the pool was.

Well let me tell you my experience!! We put in an inground pool 20 years ago along with a deck and concrete walk around. Total cost was $25,000. It looked very nice. Come to present day - kids are gone and we barely use the pool - Just 2 to 3 times during the summer. Cost for early maintenance is around $500 per summer - except last year which cost $4000 to replace liner.

Six months after we put our pool, deck and walkaround in our neighbor 2 doors down put in an above ground oval pool. He put in a deck coming off the house with a really cut bridge to the second deck that surrounds the pool. At one end of the deck with the pool, he put a gazebo. The whole look is stunning!! If I had seen this before I did mine, I would have done the same thing.

My problem is, we can't ever get rid of the pool except for filling it in with dirt which would make the yard look horrible. Our neighbor, however, built the deck in such a way that if he every wants to get rid of the pool, he just has to put the floor of the deck where the pool was.

I think you need to take a pic of this because I would love to see it!!

:thumbsup2

We have a decent Trek deck 1/4 away around our above ground pool. Nothing super fancy (mostly a place to keep the pool "stuff" off the ground.)

I'm trying to keep cool, not show off for House Beautiful. No one has ever declined an invite to come swimming because they didn't like how it looked.

Our pool was given to use by friends whose kids had grown up and so the pool wasn't getting much use. They were glad they had the above ground- both to be able to pass it along and because it was easy to redo their yard into a "post pool" look.

I have no problem with above ground pools, lots of them in our area. But our over the back fence neighbors pool/deck is driving me nuts.

Our lots are pretty small and all of them are fenced. 3 years ago these folks cut down a beautiful, mature maple tree. Opened up or view to other houses where we used to see a tree. OK, their property, they can do what they want. 2 years ago they took down the chain link fence on the property line and put in a 6 foot white plastic/resin whatever fence. I honestly don't know who owned the old fence, it was here when we moved in 13 years ago and when they moved in 7 years ago. They never said a word to us, just put in the fence. We would have been happy to split the cost if we would have been consulted. I would have preferred a wood fence as 1 1/2 sides of our yard have wood already. But again, OK. Whatever.

Apparently, this work was all in prep for last summer and the installation of a fairly large, above ground, oval pool. Takes up 2/3rds of the yard. Comes almost up to the top of the fence. I don't see it, no big deal. Welcome to 2012! The put a deck around about 1/2 of the pool. With this deck up, they can sit on their deck and look over into my backyard and 2 foot deck. We now have zip privacy and have to look at them and their extended family and friends sitting around on their deck. Look at their towels hanging around the railing constantly. Listen to their music being played on the deck...and since it's above the fence it carries more than ever to our yard. We get their conversations when a bit drunk. We get their tacky roof-only tent thing that provides shade. (to add insult to injury we are a U of M family and the tent is blazing Ohio State:rotfl:) .

But most of all I just hate feeling like a zoo animal in my own backyard. I think it's just rude.

This is the exact reason why my dh and I decided that we want to install an above ground pool with decking around it. Also, in making our decision we decided to buy a $300 Intex pool to use for a couple of years as a "test" to see if we had the time and energy to use and maintain a pool. So far our kids love it and it get used regularly during the summer months and we plan to have the permanent one installed next summer.

We have an inground pool and it's actually indoors so we can use it all year round. I love it!!

But, I honestly don't see a problem with above ground pools with decks either. You can make it beautiful with landscaping and rocks around the edge.

Enjoy your new pool!

I think above ground pools are fine depending on how close your neighbors are. if you have enough space on your property to enjoy your pool without annoying the neighbors I say go for it.

Oh my, how did you possibly own up to that in a public forum. And one from Sam's Club at that!

I think the rich snobs need to mind their own dang business instead of fretting how "tacky" us poor people are. So I have an Intex pool as well. And I do not have a deck around it (would like one though, maybe next year.) The "tackiness" of an above ground pool is just the rich snobs mad now because a pool use to be for them, but now there are cheap alternatives for us poor folk.

Put up an above ground pool. Put up one of those cheap blowup ring pools. Heck, put it in your front yard and tell all the rich snobs to mind their own business! :thumbsup2

The kids love our 22' cheap Intex pool, especially since there isn't a public pool around for them to go to.

What in the world are you talking about?

I don't like above ground pools without decks as I don't feel they are safe, some of them look horrible, and some are hard to get into. Flimsy stairs to climb up on (have had several neighborhood accidents courtesty of those), weeds growing up the side, rust on the outside and not being able to get into the pool quickly enough in the event of an emergency (been there, done that too) are what we have experienced.

Those are the reasons I don't like above ground pools, so it has nothing to do with being a rich snob. Goodness.

The photos shown with decks look fabulous and very safe, compared to some of the above ground pools we have seen around here. Not to mention some of them look very tacky or out of place, as they were just stuck in the middle of a backyard with no way to really get into them, so it makes very difficult to actually enjoy the experience, especially with kids.

Happy and safe swimming to all, Tiger

I think above ground pools are fine depending on how close your neighbors are. if you have enough space on your property to enjoy your pool without annoying the neighbors I say go for it.

Reminds me of the episode on King of Queens, where the neighbors got an above ground pool, and the neighbors could see right into Doug & Carrie's yard.

Doug & Carrie were going to sue them for it but.....Doug & Carrie both ended up swimming in it, and dropped the law suite.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter