• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about upgrading ticket to AP if your package includes DDP

jenr812

What happened to the tag fairy?
Our package includes the DDP. We will be at POR for 10 nights. Currently I am trying to find a cost effective way to stay an additional 2 nights (room only). AAA discounts are gone for those dates. I couldn't get the 40% off discount (not for lack of trying though!). So I am thinking of booking those additional 2 nights with an AP discount and converting one of our tix to an AP after we check out on our last day. So that I'll have the AP to show before checking back in with the AP rate. Am I making sense? Will this work? I guess my ? is, at what point can I no longer upgrade to an AP? Can I do it as long as I'm within that 14 day window that the ticket is active? Thanks!

PS there is another method to my madness - I want to have that AP available so I can take a quick solo trip or two ;) Shhh!!

As long as it is within 14 days of first use you are ok. if you add water features to your 10 day tickets you have to up grade to a premium pass.

i did exactly that - upgraded a ticket from a pkg that included ddp (on my 2nd day) and then used the ap for a discount on a room-only reservation at the end of my stay. (btw - they never verified that i had the AP!)

i did exactly that - upgraded a ticket from a pkg that included ddp (on my 2nd day) and then used the ap for a discount on a room-only reservation at the end of my stay. (btw - they never verified that i had the AP!)

Did you stay at the same resort? Did you get to stay in the same room? We are trying to figure out how/when to tell them about the room only ressie...do we tell them when we check in for our 10 night package stay, or do we just wait til check out time? Or some other time in between? Thanks:)

I'm booked from Dec 18th - Jan st on first reservation using 40% off pin. From Jan 1st - Jan 4th can I use AP for this? The rates aren't out yet, but I have made a deposit based on one night stay on value season.

How much off will I get for AP?

Also someone mentioned if you upgrade a MYW ticket with water park plus options you have to upgrade to a premium? I spoke with Disney and they told me I could upgrade to just a regular AP:confused3 What is the difference in price from AP to premium?

Is there a website to find out all about AP and when discounts come out from them?

Thanks for your patience!

Charleyann

Did you stay at the same resort? Did you get to stay in the same room? We are trying to figure out how/when to tell them about the room only ressie...do we tell them when we check in for our 10 night package stay, or do we just wait til check out time? Or some other time in between? Thanks:)

No, I was switching resorts. Tell them at check in that you have 2 reservations. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but they usually try and let you keep the same room.

I'm booked from Dec 18th - Jan st on first reservation using 40% off pin. From Jan 1st - Jan 4th can I use AP for this? The rates aren't out yet, but I have made a deposit based on one night stay on value season.

How much off will I get for AP?

Also someone mentioned if you upgrade a MYW ticket with water park plus options you have to upgrade to a premium? I spoke with Disney and they told me I could upgrade to just a regular AP:confused3 What is the difference in price from AP to premium?

Is there a website to find out all about AP and when discounts come out from them?

Thanks for your patience!

Charleyann

AP discounts vary by resort category and time of year. When I went, during value season, they were $20 off value per night, $45 off mod and $80 off deluxe, i think.
Usually someone posts here when the discounts come out. They will also be found on mousesavers. There is a page on mousesavers that lists when discounts have been released in the past.

As far as the regular AP, I was able to do it instead of premium because I hadn't used any of the WP and more options on my MYW ticket.

HTH

Your AP has to have the same features as your original ticket. If you have added the water park feature to your ticket your AP will also have to contain this feature. There is a difference of 133 in the cost of a regular and a premium pass. There have been several threads about this but more likely they are on the theme park board. I would make sure I just had base tickets and when I went to guest sevices they will know for sure what you can do. Paying for an admission to a water park will be a lot cheaper than the difference in the 2 passes.

As long as you haven't used any of the plus options, you can upgrade to a regular AP. I was told this by 3 different CM's.
From allears:
I have heard that I can upgrade my MYW ticket to an AP or PAP and get full credit for the original purchase price even after I have used a few days admission. Is this true?

Yes it is. If you decide that you want to upgrade it to an AP/PAP, you will get full credit for the price of the ticket towards the AP/PAP. Expiring MYW tickets must be upgraded within 14 days of first use. MYW tickets with the no expiration option on them can me upgraded at any time. In all cases, the AP/PAP will be backdated to the date the hopper pass was first used. Tickets purchased prior to MYW tickets can still be upgraded but must be completely unused to do so. But beware: If you get a MYW ticket with the Water Park Fun & More option and use one of the WPF&M admissions before doing this, you will only be allowed to upgrade to a PAP.

We tried to do the same for our coming trip to POR May 22-30, 2007. We have a AAA package w/dining and wanted to add a room only to the beginning or at the end but unfortunately there were NO rooms avail. (we need Alligator Bayou b/c there are 5 of us) NO AAA, NO AP and NO rack rate even! The only option we were given was to switch to a different resort that had openings. We decided against that and will probably just stay at SOG our drive in night so we can get to the parks early when our package starts the next day.

Last year we stayed a POR at the same time and about three days before our check out we decided we "needed" one more day so my DH tried to get a room. Nothing was avail. so for the next couple of days he checked with the front desk every time we came back to the resort. Finally on the last day they said we could have a room - don't know if someone cancelled or if they just got sick of him begging but either way we got a room!:laughing: and we were able to keep our existing room (at rack rate of course!) So maybe if you don't get something before you leave for your trip, there may be something open up while you're there.

Also, we checked with our AAA agent about turning in our 10-day Park hoppers for APs when we go this coming May (we may try to get in one more trip this year;)) She told us we could but that we would need to do this on our first day so that we would get full credit ($ amount) for the tickets. From what I've read on this site and others though, that isn't the case - my understanding is that we can do it at any point during our stay as long as there is at least one unexpired day on the park hoppers.

Have a wonderful trip in May - maybe we'll see you there! If you see a guy hanging out in the lobby trying to get an extra night it will probably be my husband :rotfl:

You will get full credit for your ticket but your date on your AP will reflect the first day you used your ticket I believe. We tried to upgrade a non expiring ticket last trip that we had used on a previous trip and they would not do it. We were told all changes had to be made within 14 days. Maybe the CM at guest services was wrong but that was our experience.

We tried to do the same for our coming trip to POR May 22-30, 2007. We have a AAA package w/dining and wanted to add a room only to the beginning or at the end but unfortunately there were NO rooms avail. (we need Alligator Bayou b/c there are 5 of us) NO AAA, NO AP and NO rack rate even! The only option we were given was to switch to a different resort that had openings. We decided against that and will probably just stay at SOG our drive in night so we can get to the parks early when our package starts the next day.

Last year we stayed a POR at the same time and about three days before our check out we decided we "needed" one more day so my DH tried to get a room. Nothing was avail. so for the next couple of days he checked with the front desk every time we came back to the resort. Finally on the last day they said we could have a room - don't know if someone cancelled or if they just got sick of him begging but either way we got a room!:laughing: and we were able to keep our existing room (at rack rate of course!) So maybe if you don't get something before you leave for your trip, there may be something open up while you're there.

Also, we checked with our AAA agent about turning in our 10-day Park hoppers for APs when we go this coming May (we may try to get in one more trip this year;)) She told us we could but that we would need to do this on our first day so that we would get full credit ($ amount) for the tickets. From what I've read on this site and others though, that isn't the case - my understanding is that we can do it at any point during our stay as long as there is at least one unexpired day on the park hoppers.

Have a wonderful trip in May - maybe we'll see you there! If you see a guy hanging out in the lobby trying to get an extra night it will probably be my husband :rotfl:

Robin, how old are your kids? That would be great to run into a DISer :) We will be in AB too as there are 5 of us also. If you can't get an opening, Buena Vista Suites start at $88/night right now thru Dreams Unlimited. They look nice and I have read really good reviews here on the DIS. They sleep 6 I believe - 2 queen beds in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room area with free continental breakfast. I currently have a ressie with them for June 2nd but will cancel as soon as we decide what we're doing in regards to changing LOL

Currently, we are checking in to POR May 23 and out June 2nd. We are adding on for the nights of June 2nd and 3rd (checking out on the 4th.) I think I've decided to just book rack rate. I am not sure if we will have the money to upgrade to PAP. We keep adding things on and it's getting more and more expensive LOL I guess a trip to Disney tends to do that. :rotfl: One other thing I am considering is booking AP rate and then if we find that we are unable to upgrade to PAP, we can just pay rack rate (that's what they'd do, right - charge me rack if I don't wind up upgrading?).

Robin, how old are your kids? That would be great to run into a DISer :) We will be in AB too as there are 5 of us also. If you can't get an opening, Buena Vista Suites start at $88/night right now thru Dreams Unlimited. They look nice and I have read really good reviews here on the DIS. They sleep 6 I believe - 2 queen beds in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room area with free continental breakfast. I currently have a ressie with them for June 2nd but will cancel as soon as we decide what we're doing in regards to changing LOL

Currently, we are checking in to POR May 23 and out June 2nd. We are adding on for the nights of June 2nd and 3rd (checking out on the 4th.) I think I've decided to just book rack rate. I am not sure if we will have the money to upgrade to PAP. We keep adding things on and it's getting more and more expensive LOL I guess a trip to Disney tends to do that. :rotfl: One other thing I am considering is booking AP rate and then if we find that we are unable to upgrade to PAP, we can just pay rack rate (that's what they'd do, right - charge me rack if I don't wind up upgrading?).

We have two girls - one 15 and the other 9 - we're also bringing along the 15 yr. old's best friend. It will be a tight fit but we survived the same last year - we're all so happy to be at Disney, we don't mind being crowded.
How funny would it be to run into each other!:rotfl: We requested either building 14 or 27 waterview. Did you request a particular building?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Suites. Right now we are planning on spending 2 nights at SOG before our package starts and then leave on our original check-out day BUT you never know:rolleyes1

And yes, I know about things getting more expensive! We're always trying to find ways to cut the cost but then always end up spending more than the year before. Was hoping to get in on the 40% code this time but no discount for us:sad2:

If you decide not to upgrade to the PAP, you can just pay rack rate for your room at check-in. Have you tried to make a reservation at POR for your extra days? I know rooms are getting hard to get even at rack rate - we weren't able to get one there which is why we're heading to SOG for those couple of nights.

Hope to see you there! Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter