Abandon Ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been culturally enriched by your use of the term "Rubenesque." I had never heard it and had to look it up.
I like that too! But on these boards, I refer to myself as "Pooh-sized" pooh:

On the (one) plus side, my state said it is giving vaccine priority to folks of my size in the next round after health-care workers and the elderly. If that is the case elsewhere too, a high BMI definitely wouldn't make sense as a cruise restriction since that would rule out a bunch of people who've been vaccinated.

1. One way halls/stairs on the ships - IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE ON ALL SHIPS???
2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you). NO.
3. Mandatory vitamin D/zinc supplements. NO. YOU HAVE NO CLUE IF I AM DEFICIENT IN EITHER AND NEED.
4. BMI limits. NO. ARE YOU GOING TO INCLUDE ALL WITH ANY PRE-EXISTING CONDITION?
5. Elevator use by exception only, with sign up times, etc. NOT POSSIBLE.
6. Quarantine times before and after embarkation. WHAT IF I HAD COVIDHAVE BEEN VACCINATE OR AM WAITING FOR HERD IMMUNITY.
7. No daily cabin cleaning/turn down service. DISNEY IS ALREADY DOING THIS AT PARKS BUT SOME FOLKS MAY WISH TO SIGN A WAIVER AND STILL HAVE THESE BENEFITS.
8. Sign-up times for shuffleboard, miniature golf, ping pong, or basketballs. NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster. WHAT IS BREEZY AND WHO WILL JUDGE.
10. Confinement to quarters during certain times of day. NO WAY.
11. No childrens' clubs. NOT GOOD.
12. Two meals per day, to accommodate more distanced dining with an option for an additional charge room service for a third meal. NOPE.
13. Lottery system for shows and movies with a guarantee of one show per passenger. MIGHT WORK OKAY.

I need to stay at home until this covid mess passes if "rules" like these are put in place. Happy New Year.

honestly right now, as someone who has worked straight through since March without a break, and leaves the house less than once a month, I would be ok with ALL of this. I haven't been further than 5 km from my house in months, and the only human contact I have is with my mom, who I live with. If this is what it takes to go on a cruise and to be somewhere other than my house, then so be it, when does check in open.

I haven’t had one day off and routinely have to go to the hospitals I’m NOT willing to do that, that’s not fun at all

1. One way halls/stairs on the ships: Fine, but it wouldn't be followed or enforced (see your local grocery store)
2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you): No. I paid a lot for that balcony.
3. Mandatory vitamin D/zinc supplements: I take lots of supplements already so I'd actually like it if DCL gave them for free like mints on your pillow, but DCL would never even consider requiring that.
4. BMI limits: Fine. I already have to get weighed when I go on a trail ride, so...
5. Elevator use by exception only, with sign up times, etc.: No, I have bad knees/feet/toes, you name it & it's messed up.
6. Quarantine times before and after embarkation: No way. I cruise to be free to do what I feel like doing.
7. No daily cabin cleaning/turn down service: No. Another reason I cruise is to be pampered.
8. Sign-up times for shuffleboard, miniature golf, ping pong, or basketballs Fair enough if everyone gets a chance
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster No! Watching the ocean from the deck (especially the promenade) is one of the highlights of cruising imo.
10. Confinement to quarters during certain times of day No. I won't sail in a Disney prison.
11. No childrens' clubs This would be a plus: more adult feeling to the cruise as fewer families with little ones would cruise. (I like kids but the volume of them can get overwhelming on the DCL school holiday cruises we sail.)
12. Two meals per day, to accommodate more distanced dining with an option for an additional charge room service for a third meal No! Knowing good food is always available is one of the highlights of cruising.
13. Lottery system for shows and movies with a guarantee of one show per passenger Fine. we've seen all the current shows (loved Beauty & the Beast and Tangled) so we'd cede our spot even if we won. I'd feel sorry for anyone who never got to watch a show but wanted to, though. :(

Last edited:
That might be one method of theirs to keep capacity down- just enough people might cancel because of that (and because of other restrictions/cutbacks) to get their cruises at the right percentage until this blows over.

I don't see how they can keep the kids' clubs open. It's an enclosed area with no ventilation, and would be almost impossible to enforce distancing in there, and mask enforcement of so many young kids would be a big challenge. And they are somehow going to wipe down every computer, art area, etc., between each child's use? Um, I don't think so. Disney's Aulani doesn't have its kids' club open, and out of other family resorts I've read about, none of them currently have kids' clubs open.

If you have young kids who use the clubs a lot, it might seem inconceivable to sail without them, but plenty of Disney cruisers have older kids who aren't attached to the clubs, or kids (like my son) who were never that into the clubs at all. Not all families with kids care about them, and of course, there are plenty of adult cruisers, as well.

Why wouldn't they have the kids clubs open?
They're running on Ovation right now, and Singapore have put in some super strict rules.

Granted, unlike DCL, even pre-covid, Royal stick to their ratios and already close after each session for a thorough clean.

Maybe DCL will just have to be a bit stricter around the clubs like other lines, some won't like it, but life is full of compromises right now.

As for lack of ventilation, surely that goes for most indoor areas onboard where multiple people can mingle....theatre, restaurants, movie theatre, clubs and bars, gift shops...

I think #4 BMI limits is pretty intrusive. That's akin to having to get on a scale before boarding.

Not trying to pick on your opinion, or even disagree with it. But, to be fair, I think requiring someone to inject a foreign substance into his or her body is pretty intrusive. Since this thread was specifically aimed at those who are okay with a vaccination requirement, IMO the bar for what is or is not too intrusive has been set pretty darn high.

Not trying to pick on your opinion, or even disagree with it. But, to be fair, I think requiring someone to inject a foreign substance into his or her body is pretty intrusive. Since this thread was specifically aimed at those who are okay with a vaccination requirement, IMO the bar for what is or is not too intrusive has been set pretty darn high.

A lot of us in the united states at least are used to the idea of vaccines being a requirement... in order to attend public schools in many areas certain ones have to be administered. That said the covid vaccine is still under emergency use and not fully cleared; I don't see this as being on a level playing field with those yet.

All of this feels like a huge stomp on freedom, from shutdowns to masks to required vaccinations to who knows what else? They keep changing the stories and the rules, and the numbers. I realize some people get very sick, but so do people contracting the flu. When 60% of the people who get it aren't sick and more than 99% survive, we should not be put upon like this, and the whole world should not shut down. Makes fools of us all

I’d accept #1 & #8 only from this list. I take vitamins anyway, but find this and the BMI one are far too invasive. Most seem unworkable or completely ruin the joy of cruising (timed balcony?? No on deck in breezy conditions???).

All of this feels like a huge stomp on freedom, from shutdowns to masks to required vaccinations to who knows what else? They keep changing the stories and the rules, and the numbers. I realize some people get very sick, but so do people contracting the flu. When 60% of the people who get it aren't sick and more than 99% survive, we should not be put upon like this, and the whole world should not shut down. Makes fools of us all

I am so with you, I am also tired of the fact that too many have seemed too forget there is a thing called personal responsibility.

I agree completely. If people want to stay home in droves to avoid disease, by all means do it. If people want to wear masks, goggles, space suits to stay safe, by all means do it. I won't be. That has made me a pariah, a selfish person, someone who doesn't care about others, etc. I have been told all of this and have gotten numb to it.

I agree completely. If people want to stay home in droves to avoid disease, by all means do it. If people want to wear masks, goggles, space suits to stay safe, by all means do it. I won't be. That has made me a pariah, a selfish person, someone who doesn't care about others, etc. I have been told all of this and have gotten numb to it.

I agree it should be down to individual choices of how serious or not you take the virus - however, unfortunately there are 900+ people onboard these ships that don't get a choice.... the crew who are there to look after guests - and Disney can put as many protocols as they want in place, but if people who are boarding with no respect for the rules before thier trip, is it fair to subject crew members to a confined vessel with no choice - all for the sake of someone's vacation?

I understand there is an industry at risk and te failure of cruise lines will damage employment opportunities, however, the consideration of others should be considered - and not just people that choose to go out and about as if nothing is happening - there are people that should be given consideration as well as a gratuity at the end of a cruise

I agree it should be down to individual choices of how serious or not you take the virus - however, unfortunately there are 900+ people onboard these ships that don't get a choice.... the crew who are there to look after guests - and Disney can put as many protocols as they want in place, but if people who are boarding with no respect for the rules before thier trip, is it fair to subject crew members to a confined vessel with no choice - all for the sake of someone's vacation?

I understand there is an industry at risk and te failure of cruise lines will damage employment opportunities, however, the consideration of others should be considered - and not just people that choose to go out and about as if nothing is happening - there are people that should be given consideration as well as a gratuity at the end of a cruise
Disney is free to make whatever choices they wish.

Fairness is always in the eye of the beholder. Some people think its unfair how little the people that work on these cruise ships are paid, and that even taking pleasure cruises is exploitative. I think that as long as employees have free will, and we have a competitive marketplace, that I am OK with cruising.

I think people who have had no problem with respecting "the rules" so far may be amazed at how "the rules" may change over time.

Last edited:

I'm speaking from my experience (from Canada)... The main problem coming from the pandemic is not the deaths but the people who get it really bad. The virus can make much more damages than the flu. The hospitals are full and tons of doctors/nurses on medical leave due to exhaustion. We are almost at the point where doctors/ambulances have to choose who dies and who lives.

At that point, screw my freedom. I can live with a lockdown for a few more months.

Last edited:
I'm speaking from my experience (from Canada)... The main problem coming from the pandemic is not the deaths but the people who get it really bad. The virus can make much more damages than the flu. The hospitals are full and tons doctors/nurses on medical leave due to exhaustion. We are almost at the point where doctors/ambulances have to choose who dies and who lives.

At that point, screw my freedom. I can live with a lockdown for a few more months.
I am glad that you are free to make that choice. As long as by "screw my freedom" you don't mean "screw your freedom," I have no problem. Please respect the freedom of others to make different choices, even if you don't respect their choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter