A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 (Updated 1/17/12!)

epcotball.jpg

The Turkey Family and the Big Golf Ball
We've got an entire collection of pictures where one child or another is burying their face into a parents shoulder. If they're embarrassed to be seen with me now, they should just wait until they're teenagers and I really turn up the embarasss-inator. :thumbsup2

Also a theme? "Carry me." We didn't bring a stroller, nor did we rent one. We wanted to see how DD would do without one and we figured, "What's a little carrying around the park?
:headache:<===They don't have a "back ache" smiley, so this one will have to do.

(seriously, they ought to invest in a lowjack or something for that fish).
Does GPS work underwater?

So focused on our task, that I didn't really notice how dark the queue line got. DD noticed though. As we boarded the clammobile, she started to get a little fussy. When it started, she got in full on freak out mode. We didn't really expect that. "What's the matter?" "DARK, TOO DARK!" Fortunately, being the awesome dad I am, and a former Cub Scout, I was prepared. Before the trip I purchased a small Princess flashlight, figuring that DD would need it if we went on Pirates of the Carribean or Haunted Mansion. I handed it to her, and instructed her to only point it at the floor. That calmed her down a bit until the end of the ride. I promised her that whenever she felt scared by a ride, she could hold the flashlight.
Nice planning! :thumbsup2

Also a theme? "Carry me." We didn't bring a stroller, nor did we rent one. We wanted to see how DD would do without one and we figured, "What's a little carrying around the park?
Uh oh. Doesn't sound like fun. A turkey with a saddle sounds like and interesting concept though.:lmao:

We were at the Sea, ready to find Nemo...AGAIN. (seriously, they ought to invest in a lowjack or something for that fish).
I'm sure they could at least attach one of those scientific tracking devices to him.:confused3

"DARK, TOO DARK!" Fortunately, being the awesome dad I am, and a former Cub Scout, I was prepared. Before the trip I purchased a small Princess flashlight, figuring that DD would need it if we went on Pirates of the Carribean or Haunted Mansion. I handed it to her, and instructed her to only point it at the floor. That calmed her down a bit until the end of the ride. I promised her that whenever she felt scared by a ride, she could hold the flashlight.
Great idea!:thumbsup2

When we were in Crush, the CM picked an Japanese girl and the girl didn't speak any english. It was a bit uncomfortable for the monment:confused3
My kid got all mad, " I can talk right, I know how! :lmao:

No stroller:eek: I can't wait to see how that worked out overall:rolleyes1

great up date!!! :lmao: i dont like meeting the boss either. our dd did the samething when she was little. good thing she had those glass'

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party. I try to catch all the DISDads TR's...not sure how I missed yours. Anyway, I'll catch up as best as I can!

Episode 3: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Strollers! (Original Air Date: Sunday, January 23, 2011)

So focused on our task, that I didn't really notice how dark the queue line got. DD noticed though. As we boarded the clammobile, she started to get a little fussy. When it started, she got in full on freak out mode. We didn't really expect that. "What's the matter?" "DARK, TOO DARK!" Fortunately, being the awesome dad I am, and a former Cub Scout, I was prepared. Before the trip I purchased a small Princess flashlight, figuring that DD would need it if we went on Pirates of the Carribean or Haunted Mansion. I handed it to her, and instructed her to only point it at the floor. That calmed her down a bit until the end of the ride. I promised her that whenever she felt scared by a ride, she could hold the flashlight.

Next time on A Very Turkey Trip Report: Another ride?

TL

Just about every dark ride except Pooh freaked out DD2...she even had a meltdown in the Hall of Presidents! This year we are going to try either a flashlight or glow sticks/bracelets, and ear plugs/covers for the loud noises.

As for characters, DD1 has been twice, but was scared to go see Pirate Goofy, the first one we encountered, until herbaby sister went running for a hug!

My kid got all mad, " I can talk right, I know how! :lmao:

Ha!

No stroller:eek: I can't wait to see how that worked out overall:rolleyes1

What, Joker's insane laughing didn't give you a clue? ;)

great up date!!! :lmao: i dont like meeting the boss either. our dd did the samething when she was little. good thing she had those glass'

Yeah, I dunno what it was about them, but she was a lot less shy with them on that day. She didn't really need them all that much the rest of the week. :confused3

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party. I try to catch all the DISDads TR's...not sure how I missed yours. Anyway, I'll catch up as best as I can!

All are welcome, all are welcome!

TL

Just about every dark ride except Pooh freaked out DD2...she even had a meltdown in the Hall of Presidents! This year we are going to try either a flashlight or glow sticks/bracelets, and ear plugs/covers for the loud noises.

Huh, just shows how every kid reacts differently. You should be able to find cheapie penlights at a dollar store, no problem. They're fairly weak of a glow (so they won't bother other patrons) and if you lose it, oh well, you didn't spend all that much on it.

As for characters, DD1 has been twice, but was scared to go see Pirate Goofy, the first one we encountered, until herbaby sister went running for a hug!

Our DD wasn't really scared of the characters, just super shy, and that came and went. We think the bigger fuss they made over her, the shyer she got. Such a modest young child...so unlike her parents.:lmao: And then there was the Princes, but we'll get into that later on in the TR....popcorn::

TL

I really wish I would have picked up a fez while we were at EPCOT. Maybe next time.

i'm there in 19 days, since it seems like we are both pretty close in location, maybe i can grab you one, and we can meet somewhere in the middle and hand it off. or ship it to you, but handing it off could be cheaper. (i'm in Shawano county)

So I soon figured out why we were out in the boondocks of ASMu,
The usual fare, eggs, bacon, sausage, the cheesy potatoes. OMG THE CHEESY POTATOES!!! I LEEEEERRRRRRRVE them cheesy potatoes (the secondary reason I wanted to go to the Akershus). I am from Wisconsin after all.
as I helped myself to more cheesy potatoes. This time it worked out and they got a great picture.
and assurances that, no, I could not have a pan of cheesy potatoes for the road, we were off to our first day in the park!

i'm at ASMu the first half of our trip, and i really really hope i get lucky and do not end up with the same experience you had this trip.

and, man now you have me craving something i've not even tried before and don't have planned this trip! :sad2: esp. if a fellow Wisconsinite says it is good enough to try to take with.

but they're all fabulous, Wisconsin raised words, so it should be all right. :lmao:

I work at a group of stations up north of the valley, I'm primarily on Hometown Radio 103.7 and Hits 96.3.

So, I will actually know what you are talking about most of the time? Awesome! :woohoo: Now, where is the bubbler? ;)

:eek: I know 103.7 is one of my presets in my car, and pretty sure 96.3 is as well. I think we might be in the same area of NE WI. :confused3

If there's any state you could find that fryer in, it would be Wisconsin.

...and maybe Texas.

TL
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: So very very true!

And then there was the Princes, but we'll get into that later on in the TR....popcorn::
popcorn::

Can't wait for more!

i'm there in 19 days, since it seems like we are both pretty close in location, maybe i can grab you one, and we can meet somewhere in the middle and hand it off. or ship it to you, but handing it off could be cheaper. (i'm in Shawano county)

Heh, I appreciate the offer, but that's okay. I have a large cranium, and most hats don't fit me. I'd prefer to try it on before purchase, just in case. :goodvibes

i'm at ASMu the first half of our trip, and i really really hope i get lucky and do not end up with the same experience you had this trip.

In retrospect, it wasn't a bad room, but DD refused to walk the distance, so that got a bit tiring.... And like I said, we were given a closer room than we requested the first time we went. Hope for the best, expect the worst, and you'll probably come out somewhere in the middle.

and, man now you have me craving something i've not even tried before and don't have planned this trip! :sad2: esp. if a fellow Wisconsinite says it is good enough to try to take with.

Oh boy. Don't go changing your plans on what I say. I have notoriously bad taste. That being said, if your daughter likes princesses, IMO the Akershus breakfast is the best way to meet the "Big 5", and the best value too.

:eek: I know 103.7 is one of my presets in my car, and pretty sure 96.3 is as well. I think we might be in the same area of NE WI. :confused3

We broadcast out of Marinette/Menominee. I'm afternoons on 96.3 and from 10am -1pm on 103.7...the voice of the infamous Swap Shop.

Can't wait for more!

Working on the next "exciting" installment now!

Based on your quotes alone, I can tell this is going to be an awesome TR! Subbing!

Welcome! I hope I don't disappoint!

TL

Episode 4: Ride, Princess, Ride, On Your Produce Ship (Original Air Date: Sunday, January 23, 2011)

"This place holds more magic for me than any palace in the world." -- Princess Lili

It took some coersion, but we finally were able to drag DD out of the Seas. After all, Daddy Turkey didn't come all this way to watch a giant fish tank all day. Unless it was an actual tank driven by a fish. That would be cool. WHO CAN STOP THE ONSLAUGHT OF THE SHARK SHERMAN?!?!? Hey SyFy, there's your next horrible movie! If you call now, you could probably get William Katt or Susanna Hoff to star in it!

ANYway, we moved on to the surefire, most safest, most tame ride in all of the World...Living With the Land. Surely, this attraction would get DD into the mood of trying new rides and experiences. Right? RIGHT???

We headed towards the land. Oh, didn't realize that's where Soarin' was too. ME: "Oy, you wanna do Soarin'?" DW: "Not really, you?" ME: "Nah." So we didn't. And it's probably a good thing, as the crowds finally started picking up and sure as shooting, Soarin' was where everyone was heading...leaving poor widdle Wiving with the Wand all awone...ahem, alone. We hopped into the queue, walked to the front of the line, and with very little wait, we boarded and were off.

And then I remembered. It's not all brightly lit greenhouses. There was a dark element to it with dioramas. Dark. Thunder. Lightning. Oh beverly, what have I done?

DD loved it. She was having a blast pointing out all the critters in the scenes, and was absolutely enthralled by the rainforest. By the time we got into the greenhouse, she was having a grand old time. DW and I smiled at each other. Finally, she understands. As we disembarked, DD excitedly exclaimed, "Again daddy, I wanna do it again!"

"Well honey, there are other rides we need to do."

"Okay! Let's go!" SUCCESS!

We moved on to the next pavillion and one of my favorite rides, Journey into Imagination. We toyed briefly with going to see Captain Eo. I saw it the first go round in the 80's, had the stuffed doll of that butterfly gerbil thing to prove it, and my nostalgia wasn't gnawing at me enough to bother with it again, and DW was not much of a fan of the King of Pop to begin with, so we gave that a pass and headed to the main event.

DD took one look at Figment and said, "I have him!" It took me a minute to figure out what she meant, but then I remembered, when I got Eo's flying Richard Gere joke, I also got a stuffed Figment. I had collected him along with a number of other dolls from my mother's house while cleaning it out and gave them to DD. This was a good sign. LWtL was one thing, but the Figment ride plays with your senses, including going dark. If she was familiar with Figment, that might distract her enough from being scared (though you'd figure that's what should have happened on Nemo too...but she was still a noob at that time. Now she's experienced. Right?)

Well she went through that like a trooper as well. Loved the wackiness of the whole thing. "Daddy, he's in the bath on the ceiling, that's silly!" All too soon, it was over and we made our way into the labs, and DD went nuts with those magical floor instruments (so did DW, but don't tell her I told you that). I had to drag them both outside, where I got a nice shot of them by the fountain.

fountainc.jpg

That pyramid makes me want to play Tempest for some reason.

We either headed to Spaceship Earth or Universe of Energy at this time. Not sure which was first. Spaceship Earth makes more sense, but I seem to think we did that later in the day. In any case, we came back through Innovations West building and ran face to face into Rafiki and his handler. "Uh oh," I thought, "this might be bad." You see, DD has this thing with large apes, specifically gorilla costumes (I know Rafiki is not a gorilla, but she's 3, she just knows he's a giant monkey). We think it all stems from a Spongebob episode where Spongebob and Patrick were attacked by a "real" guy in a gorilla suit. Freaked her out. Ever since then, she's been afeared of gorillas, both real and fake. And she's not really familiar with "Lion King", so I wasn't sure how she'd react.

rafihug.jpg

I'd say she reacted okay.

She grabbed the autograph book from me and ran up to him. No prompting at all. Rafiki dropped to one knee, she ran up, gave him a big hug, and handed him the book. Full disclosure here, joy swelled up in my DisDad heart, and I teared up a little. Heck, I'm getting a might choked up thinking about it now. "I'm sorry Rafiki, we have to keep going," said his CM handler. Rafiki waved goodbye, blew DD a kiss, and they were on there way. I'm not sure where they were headed, but it was a little moment of magic that happened just for us. No line, no one else around. Just us, Rafiki, and a little patented Disney pixie dust.

I'm pretty certain we did Spaceship Earth next. It probably was the longest wait of the day, as about three full Brazillian tour groups got in line right before us. Oh well, as it was, the wait was only about 20 minutes, and it's always a fun ride. I like the addition of the video at the end. Nice little bit of interactivity. After SE, we sent the videos to ourselves and headed to Club Cool as we were a bit parched and, hey, free pop! We tried the usual suspects, until only one was left. I stood there, cup in hand, staring at the Beverly dispenser. DW looked at me funny, "You're not gonna try that again? That one was AWFUL." (Of course, when we got there, she asked me, "Which one was the gross one from last time?" I was a nice guy and identified it for her). But surely, it can't be as bad as I remember, right?

Yes. I'm an idiot.

I had just enough time to wash my pallette out with another 5 cups of Lychee Mellow before the place was filled with Brazillians, and we made our way to Universe of Energy.

alflower.jpg

Purty flowers, purty girls.

Another Wild Card, as we were not sure how DD would react to all the dinosaurs, but it was getting close to naptime (no lunch for us, we were all still full from Breakfast), and we thought, hey, maybe she'll sleep through it, because hey, 3 years old and a boring movie about energy. Well, DD must be a bigger Ellen fan than I thought, because she was enthralled by the whole ride, didn't even bat an eye at the dinosaurs.

Next two pavillions were, of course, Mission: Space and Test Track. Well, I would not even look at the Mission to Mars pavillion. I got SO sick the last time we were there (before they added the less intensive mode). So sick we passed on Test Track last time. The wait was only 20 minutes, but it was so warm in there, and I just couldn't handle it. I told DW she could go on it while I recovered, but she wanted to stick with me. What a gal! In any case, we both missed out on Test Track last time, and were eager to try it out this time.

Well, it was not to be. The wait time was 60 minutes, no way were we gonna stand in line with a 3 year old that long. No problem, Fast Pass, right. Yeah no, all gone. Peanut Butter! Looks like Test Track would elude us for another trip.

But we had no time to pout, the World Showcase beckoned!

Next time on A Very Turkey Trip Report: The World Showcase!

TL

great update turkey!!!! we dont think of how some rides can scare the heck out of a little kid but they do. we took dd before she was one but after a few years, we just told her she was on this before and told her there is not one ride that something will jump out and touch you. nothing will come that close. if you get scared, just shut your eyes. it worked!!! she always sat in between us (we were smaller than):lmao: and shes been fine ever since. the only ride she would flip out in when she was small was car. of prog.:lmao: we have no idea why to this day other than it was dark? anyway, great update!

Huh, just shows how every kid reacts differently. You should be able to find cheapie penlights at a dollar store, no problem. They're fairly weak of a glow (so they won't bother other patrons) and if you lose it, oh well, you didn't spend all that much on it.

We picked up a small flaslight last month from the dollar store, it has a few LED lights in it, the girls almost blinded me with it:lmao: A little more powerful then I imagined. I'm still keeping a lookout though. If not, we have tons of glow bracelets left over from our last trip, we bought lots for the Halloween parties etc, gave some away, but still, found lots left.

Our DD wasn't really scared of the characters, just super shy, and that came and went. We think the bigger fuss they made over her, the shyer she got. Such a modest young child...so unlike her parents.:lmao: And then there was the Princes, but we'll get into that later on in the TR....popcorn::

DD1 does get shy, so that explains her sudden fear on her third trip. It just took being upstaged by a 1yr old to snap her out of it.

other. Finally, she understands. As we disembarked, DD excitedly exclaimed, "Again daddy, I wanna do it again!"

"Well honey, there are other rides we need to do."

"Okay! Let's go!" SUCCESS!
:thumbsup2 Good job!

We think it all stems from a Spongebob episode where Spongebob and Patrick were attacked by a "real" guy in a gorilla suit. Freaked her out. Ever since then, she's been afeared of gorillas, both real and fake.

How DOES a gorilla breathe underwater anyways?

Well, it was not to be. The wait time was 60 minutes, no way were we gonna stand in line with a 3 year old that long. No problem, Fast Pass, right. Yeah no, all gone. Peanut Butter! Looks like Test Track would elude us for another trip.

If you don't mind splitting up, what about the Single Rider line? Worked for DW and I.

I think I spend a good majority of my time at Disney worrying about how my kids will react to things. Let's face it--kids are weird. They're scared of things that make no sense, and fine with things that no one should be. Last trip, my (then 4 year old) DD would ride anything, declared no ride too scary, and spit in the face of roller coaster danger. And then, it happened.
PUSH the trashcan.
Freak. Out. I had to carry her across half the park before she would peel herself off of me and stop crying. Go figure:confused3.
This year, fears have changed (for better or worse) for both girls, AND we have a new addition of a baby boy who'll be 14 months old. This could get interesting. My hope is that my kids are champs about it like your DD; she warmed up quickly and is SO CUTE!

My 7 yr old freaked out at Universe of Energy. She has problems sometimes when things get too loud. Test Track is another story. If she could go on that all day, she'd be fine.

Yay, for her liking Rafiki. The Disney magic is starting to rub off on her:thumbsup2

the only ride she would flip out in when she was small was car. of prog.:lmao: we have no idea why to this day other than it was dark? anyway, great update!

You sure she wasn't just going crazy from boredom? :rotfl2:

If you don't mind splitting up, what about the Single Rider line? Worked for DW and I.

I didn't realize there was an actual separate line for that! I just figured you got in the same queue and told them 1 when they asked how many in your party?

Heh, a thought for cheating the system...what if you had your whole party go through the single rider line? Would you all end up on the same car? :goodvibes

I think I spend a good majority of my time at Disney worrying about how my kids will react to things. Let's face it--kids are weird. They're scared of things that make no sense, and fine with things that no one should be. Last trip, my (then 4 year old) DD would ride anything, declared no ride too scary, and spit in the face of roller coaster danger. And then, it happened.
PUSH the trashcan.
Freak. Out. I had to carry her across half the park before she would peel herself off of me and stop crying. Go figure:confused3.
This year, fears have changed (for better or worse) for both girls, AND we have a new addition of a baby boy who'll be 14 months old. This could get interesting. My hope is that my kids are champs about it like your DD; she warmed up quickly and is SO CUTE!

Thanks! Yeah, we knew going that DD may not react the way we hoped she would to certain things. When we first started talking about the trip, she told me the only characters she wanted to meet were the princesses, and that she didn't want to go anywhere near Haunted Mansion. But she sat with me while I cruised the DIS boards and saw all the pix of kids with the characters, and we watched videos of the rides. By the time we were ready to go, she was ready to meet any of the characters and give them hugs (except for the villains), and she wouldn't hear of not going on HM. Knowing how quickly she changes her mind, I knew we couldn't count on her sticking to that, so we never forced the issue and she performed admirably.

Yay, for her liking Rafiki. The Disney magic is starting to rub off on her:thumbsup2

Yeah, it was a really special moment, DW was bawling when it happened. :sad:

TL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter