A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 (Updated 1/17/12!)

Episode 2: Which Way to the Akershus? NORWAY! (Original Air Date: Sunday, January 23, 2011)

"There'll be no escape for the princess this time." -- C-3P0

I know, I know, two C-3PO quotes in a row? Have I already run the well dry? NO I HAVE NOT, YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

Sorry about that. Where was I? Oh, right, trip report.

So I soon figured out why we were out in the boondocks of ASMu, there was a group of students there, a group called Forza, and they apparently filled up every single other room in the place. And they liked to run. A lot. In the middle of the night. Between that and the excitement of the upcoming week, sleep did not come easy that night. But sleep did come, as did morning. YAY MORNING!

We had ADRs for 8:15am for the Akershus. When DW and I went to WDW in '04, I surprised her with breakfast there on our 1st day, because Aurora is her favorite princess, and at the time, the Akershus Breakfast was considered "her meal". What better way to start this new trip than with the same breakfast. (A note about that other visit. When Aurora got around to our table, DW burst out crying and hugged the princess as fiercely as any 5 year old girl. Aurora looked rather startled by this, and looked at me with fear in her eyes that said, "Save me from this madwoman!" I just smiled and said, "You're her favorite." Resigned to her fate, Aurora nodded and got back into character.)

DW had no problem getting up, but DD was a little groggy. But we got her going enough that we got her in her Snow White dress and I carried her down to the bus stop.

waitingi.jpg

"Daddy, get that camera out of my face! It's too darn early for that beverly."

A note about the dress. DD wanted to dress up as Snow White for Halloween last year. DW is friends with a seamstress that has done costumes for Broadway and Vegas, and owed DW some favors, so she offered to create the dress for us . As we planned out Disney Trip, we had decided that DD should wear the dress to the park. When DW's friend found out, she felt she needed to go all out. We think she did pretty darn good.

We waited a while for the bus, and were joined shortly by three old ladies that also had ADRs for the Akershus. To say they were a little put off by the lateness of the bus would be an understatement. They were like the Golden Girls, only there were three of them, and they were all Sophia. It made made the bus ride to EPCOT feel like an eternity. How I wished one of them was a Rose.

Despite the Ladies' worries, we made it to EPCOT with plenty of time to spare...to wait at the turnstiles some more. They did finally let us in and we made a beeline back to Norway...while the three old ladies headed for guest services. Guess they weren't in such a big hurry to make their breakfast afterall.

As we got closer to the Akershus, my pace quickened. It was our first day in the parks, and this would be DD's first character meet. I heard a shout behind me, DW was practically jogging to keep up with me and DD. I slowed just as we crossed the border into Norway. We were the second family there and basically walked right in.

And there she was, Belle of Beauty & the Beast fame. DD's eyes grew wide, Belle commented on her pretty dress, and ZOOM! behind me she went. This did not bode well. Of all the characters, I figured she would have the easiest time with the Princesses. No amount of cajoling could convince her to come out from behind me and talk to Belle or get her picture taken. The Photopass Photographer said not to worry, happens all the time, and handed us a slip and said to come back if DD warms up to the characters and she'd get us in right away.

We thanked her and were taken to our seats. We hit up the cold bar and quickly received our drinks and hot breakfast plates. The usual fare, eggs, bacon, sausage, the cheesy potatoes. OMG THE CHEESY POTATOES!!! I LEEEEERRRRRRRVE them cheesy potatoes (the secondary reason I wanted to go to the Akershus). I am from Wisconsin after all.

It wasn't long before the door near us opened....

ranasee.jpg

"Hey...whazzat over there?"

It was her 2nd character DD ever met, and DW's favorite...Aurora. Now that we were seated, we were able to get out DD's princess poster which we intended to get autographed and hang on DD's bedroom wall (and let me tell you, finding a poster with all the princesses on, including Tiana, would have baffled Indiana Jones). This, we discovered, was the key to overcoming DD's shyness (I would recommend it to anyone with shy kids). She had a task to accomplish. As long as she had to get her poster/autograph book signed, she was okay with approaching any of the characters. After that, it was pretty much a carpshoot to see if she would stick around for pictures. As Aurora approached, DD eagerly whipped out the poster and marker for the princess to sign. DD still wasn't too keen on getting her picture taken yet, but I could tell DW was....

auroranna.jpg

"Be grateful she's not squeezing you within an inch of your life!"

Next out was Cinderella. DD still was not all that interested.

ranacindy.jpg

"Sorry, you're commercially overexposed, I'm not impressed."

Then came the moment DW was waiting for. Snow White arrived. DD's eyes got wider yet. Finally, she was getting excited, and was more than happy to get a picture with the princess.

ranasnow.jpg

But of course she wouldn't put on her bow for the twin shot. Alas.

Looking at this picture, I realize that DD's dress was more movie acurate than the actual character's dress. HA! Snow stayed and chatted a bit, of course remarking on the dress, and all too soon, she was on her way. But that's okay, because that made room for DD's other favorite princess, Ariel. She spotted the finless fish lady come out of the door and started panicing. "What's the matter?" "My glasses! My glasses! I have to show Ariel my glasses!" Of course, her new sunglasses. So daddy came to the rescue and pulled them out of the back pack just in time.

ranariel.jpg

"Say, do you have a spare dinglehopper?"

Ariel was pleased with DD's "goggles", but was absolutely blown away by the dress. Ariel stayed with us longer than any of the other princesses, and when it came time for the princess parade, she came from the other side of the restaurant to take DD by the hand and lead her around the parade route. You could have knocked both DD and DW over with a feather, they were on cloud nine. Ariel instantly shoved Snow White out of top spot in DD's list of favorites and DW talked about that the rest of the trip. I wish I had a chance to shake Ariel's hand and let her know how much that meant to us. If she or anyone who knows her is reading this, you're/she's AWESOME!

Now DD was in a Princess mood, and we asked her if she'd want to go meet with Belle now. A quick nod and DW took her off to Belle meeting attempt #2 as I helped myself to more cheesy potatoes. This time it worked out and they got a great picture. I'm so glad they did, because it's an awfully cute picture (and one we were stoked to receive "free").

ranabelle.jpg

The picture so nice I posted it twice...in this thread.

With princesses met, autographs and pictures obtained, bellies full, and assurances that, no, I could not have a pan of cheesy potatoes for the road, we were off to our first day in the park!

norwalk.jpg

Next time on A Very Turkey Trip Report: More EPCOT!

Hello Wisconsin! I came on over from your brothers TR. My family was at Disney the same time as you. I need to go back and read your TR, but I'm sure it will be fabulous as only US WI people can be:lmao:

Radio personality, HUh? I'm an hour from the valley, what station?

"There'll be no escape for the princess this time." -- C-3P0

I know, I know, two C-3PO quotes in a row? Have I already run the well dry? NO I HAVE NOT, YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
Actually, I'd be impressed if you can use a C-3PO quote for EVERY update... and yes, that's a triple dog dare.:lmao:

Great update, looks like a nice morning with the princesses. I'm glad your DD warmed up to them. It looks like she was really starting to get into it towards the end. I'm sure Ariel really helped with that. It's great when one of the characters takes the time for that extra special personal interaction. I'm sure your DD will remember that for a long time to come.

Oh, and I'm sorry they wouldn't let you take a pan of the cheesey potatoes for the road. What a rip off.

Hello Wisconsin! I came on over from your brothers TR. My family was at Disney the same time as you. I need to go back and read your TR, but I'm sure it will be fabulous as only US WI people can be:lmao:

Radio personality, HUh? I'm an hour from the valley, what station?

Welcome! You'll find my reports to be slightly more wordy than Katoot's...okay a lot more wordy, but they're all fabulous, Wisconsin raised words, so it should be all right. :lmao:

I work at a group of stations up north of the valley, I'm primarily on Hometown Radio 103.7 and Hits 96.3.

Actually, I'd be impressed if you can use a C-3PO quote for EVERY update... and yes, that's a triple dog dare.:lmao:

Great update, looks like a nice morning with the princesses. I'm glad your DD warmed up to them. It looks like she was really starting to get into it towards the end. I'm sure Ariel really helped with that. It's great when one of the characters takes the time for that extra special personal interaction. I'm sure your DD will remember that for a long time to come.

Oh, and I'm sorry they wouldn't let you take a pan of the cheesey potatoes for the road. What a rip off.

DD had a very odd relationship with the characters as you'll see in future entries, but yeah, Ariel certainly helped break the ice there.

As for the C-3PO quotes, I started off with a Dr. Who quote, so I guess I already lost that dare. :sad1:

And as for the cheesy potatoes, I guess they thought the two pans they brought out to the table while we were there was enough. :rotfl:

TL

Enjoying your trip report. Your daughter is adorable! I'm glad that she warmed up to the princesses, you really got some cute pictures.

Enjoying your trip report. Your daughter is adorable! I'm glad that she warmed up to the princesses, you really got some cute pictures.

Thanks! And welcome to the happy fracas! :dance3:

Well, there is an "edit" button.

Unless you're chicken.:rolleyes1

Can you actually call a turkey a chicken???:confused3
:lmao::rotfl: :rotfl2:

THAT would be cheating, and turkeys are honorable creatures. Benjamin Franklin said so. ::yes::

TL

Okay, I went back and read through,( No! It didn't take me this long! I am at work and for some dumb reason people keep callinmg me and wanting stuff from me! )UGH....

Anyway, Weird Al" Yankovic! I would have had to stop:lmao: We have alot of Amish around here, so Amish Paradise has me looking at them a whole new way:rolleyes1

Your DD is adorable! We were at Akershus the next day. I had been thinking of sneaking some potato casserole into my pockets:lmao:

My DD also went around with Ariel for the parade. :wizard:

Oh and your "little":rolleyes: group of students are those dreaded Brazilian tour groups. We dodged them as much as possible.

I'm really enjoying your TR so far. We were in Epcot for that day and the next. Cant wait to see more.

A note about the dress. DD wanted to dress up as Snow White for Halloween last year. DW is friends with a seamstress that has done costumes for Broadway and Vegas, and owed DW some favors, so she offered to create the dress for us . As we planned out Disney Trip, we had decided that DD should wear the dress to the park. When DW's friend found out, she felt she needed to go all out. We think she did pretty darn good.
I think she did pretty darn good too! That's a fantaboulus dresss!

How I wished one of them was a Rose.
Ahhh, who doesn't love a good Ollie and Sven story every once in a while? But look on the bright side, they could have all be Blanches, came and sat right next to you and made for a very uncomfortable ride.

OMG THE CHEESY POTATOES!!! I LEEEEERRRRRRRVE them cheesy potatoes (the secondary reason I wanted to go to the Akershus). I am from Wisconsin after all.
Cheese you say? Mixed in with other foods? I don't believe I'm familiar with this concept. Next thing you'll be telling me that people deep fry it.
and let me tell you, finding a poster with all the princesses on, including Tiana, would have baffled Indiana Jones
Did you have a whip? Indy has a whip. It helps.

Then came the moment DW was waiting for. Snow White arrived. DD's eyes got wider yet. Finally, she was getting excited, and was more than happy to get a picture with the princess.
Success!

With princesses met, autographs and pictures obtained, bellies full, and assurances that, no, I could not have a pan of cheesy potatoes for the road, we were off to our first day in the park!
Three words: Large Purse. Tupperware. :thumbsup2

Can you actually call a turkey a chicken???:confused3
:lmao::rotfl: :rotfl2:
No, but you can stuff it with both a chicken and a duck. John Madden has never led me astray so far.

Ahhh, who doesn't love a good Ollie and Sven story every once in a while? But look on the bright side, they could have all be Blanches, came and sat right next to you and made for a very uncomfortable ride.

I think my wife could have taken them. :thumbsup2

Cheese you say? Mixed in with other foods? I don't believe I'm familiar with this concept.

I call beverly on that statement.

Three words: Large Purse. Tupperware. :thumbsup2

Yeah, DW wouldn't let me empty out our backpack for it. :sad1:

No, but you can stuff it with both a chicken and a duck. John Madden has never led me astray so far.

Put that inside an ostrich and now we're talking....

TL

there goes the carpeting, i found your trip report!!!! great start turkey!!! cute dd, great pics.:thumbsup2

Hope you don't mind another Wisconsinite joining in! :banana:

Episode 3: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Strollers! (Original Air Date: Sunday, January 23, 2011)

"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." -- Crow T. Robot

We made our way back to Future World as the World Showcase was still technically closed. We decided that Nemo would be a good first ride for DD. She loves that movie, even named her goldfish "Nemo" and "Dory", so we thought it was a good choice. On the way there, we spotted a Photopass photographer...since were doing the Photopass CD thing, and the park was still pretty empty, we felt it was a good time to get a family portrait.

epcotball.jpg

The Turkey Family and the Big Golf Ball

Unfortunately, our photogenic DD disappeared somewhere between Norway and the Future, and it was a fight to get her in the picture. Unbeknownst to us, this would become a theme. Also a theme? "Carry me." We didn't bring a stroller, nor did we rent one. We wanted to see how DD would do without one and we figured, "What's a little carrying around the park? :laughing: <==(clickme)

We continued towards the Seas, passing Innoventions, and I spied the Character Spot, and, from what I could see, hardly any wait! Score! Let's go see the Mouse! We stood in line for maybe 10 minutes and it was our turn. If you're familiar with the setup for the character spot, you know that the line is set up around the corner from the characters, so you basically don't see them until it's your turn (and if you're not familiar with it, you know now, and knowing is half the battle!). So, as we were called forward, we rounded the corner and BOOM! There he was, the Big Cheese himself! In retrospect, I suppose we should have let DD know what we were standing in line for, as the first meeting with Mickey did not go as I had hoped.

nofive.jpg

"Haha, gimme four! Haha!"

However, once she put on her magical Little Mermaid glasses and was in full on Superstar mode, she was okay, as evidenced with the following:

ranaminn.jpg

Picture taken right before Minnie tried to run off with her.

We got our pix with the rest of the Fab 5 (sorry Daisy, you just ain't Fab enough I guess), and of course, they were all smitten with her. Soon, we were on our way and we heard the familiar sound of "MINE? MINE? MINE?" We were at the Sea, ready to find Nemo...AGAIN. (seriously, they ought to invest in a lowjack or something for that fish). As we approached the pavillion, we were charged with the honor of delivering the magical slip of time telling. We took the honor very seriously, and handed it in with all the gravitas the position deserved. No line to speak of, so 5 minutes would be the time of telling for all to see. Huzzah!

So focused on our task, that I didn't really notice how dark the queue line got. DD noticed though. As we boarded the clammobile, she started to get a little fussy. When it started, she got in full on freak out mode. We didn't really expect that. "What's the matter?" "DARK, TOO DARK!" Fortunately, being the awesome dad I am, and a former Cub Scout, I was prepared. Before the trip I purchased a small Princess flashlight, figuring that DD would need it if we went on Pirates of the Carribean or Haunted Mansion. I handed it to her, and instructed her to only point it at the floor. That calmed her down a bit until the end of the ride. I promised her that whenever she felt scared by a ride, she could hold the flashlight.

We went on to tour the seas, watched the manatees being fed, looked at all the pretty and goofy looking fishies, chased the dolphins, played with all the gizmos, I didn't think we were going to get DD out of there. But we talked her into Talking to Crush. She sat up front with all the other kids. We all got a kick out of the show. My favorite bit?

KID: "What's your favorite food?"
CRUSH: "Seaweed, dude, 'cuz there's so many ways to make it. There's raw...and raw...raw...raw...rawraw, ooh rawraw, lala oh rawraw...I guess you could say I go Gaga over it."

DD raised her hand every time to ask a question, and when she finally got called on, she clammed up and ran back to us. Oh well, she still enjoyed it.

Soon our Turtle Talk was done, and we were on our way once more. We decided to try our luck at another ride....

Next time on A Very Turkey Trip Report: Another ride?

TL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter