A Very Mickey Christmas Trip Report: ***DAY FIVE JUST ADDED ***

Thanks for the great report, Viki! Your neat pictures of AKL are tempting me to give it a second chance.

Great report, can't wait for more! I am LOL at the "after" picture. :rotfl:

That before and after pic should be sent to Disney for marketing purposes! :rotfl: I mean seriously, how great is that!? My DP was kind of like that too. She had never been, and I had been to Disneyland more times than I can count and have the Disney fever. Now she can't wait to go back!

I LOVE the before and after pictures! Your report is so much fun. I can't wait for the rest!

Well, hello there ... I feel like I've located my not-so-long-lost relatives :wave2:

Great report so far! Keep it coming :earsboy:

Forget TGM. Forget Touringplans.com. Forget hanging out on the Disboards for the sole purpose of perfecting a path through the World that encompasses all four parks in one day, with room to spare for an afternoon siesta back at the resort. After decades of WDW trips, here's the only plan I really tolerate: Go to WDW the one week of the year when you can walk on any ride any time you want. Sleep in. Play. Eat. Swim. Eat. Play some more. Eat. Oh, and, right, don't forget the dirty martinis - apparently the only drink you can order anywhere in the World that really has alcohol in it (though I'm betting they probably have to put a wee bit of alcohol in a Manhattan; I'll have to try that next time). Now there's a plan I can live with, over and over again.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the plan for this trip. The plan for this trip involved seducing two long time friends into a life-long love affair with a Mouse. That means we actually had to go to the parks. That means we actually had to wait in lines (but not too many and not too long - at a time of year that is supposed to be "low," but which, after this trip, I've come to believe rivals the worst of what June and July has to offer - not that I actually know anymore what crowds look like in July and August - it's been two decades since I've treated myself to that pleasure!). That means I had to actually visit all those planyourwaythroughtheworld.com sites, sift through it all based on my years of mouse touring, and devise a plan so that they could "feel the love" as efficiently and effectively as possible. And if I do say so myself, I accomplished this task so effectively that, for example, I actually got six adults through every major attraction in MK on a MVMCP night, while enjoying all the shows (save one), Holiday Wishes, the Parade, and dinner at the Crystal Palace. Sheesh. But that's another day.

All I had to do on this day was get us from AKL to Epcot, so that we could redeem our AP vouchers for the real thing, get us through Epcot (and those god-awful crowds, bah humbug!), safe to the international gate, from which we could then exit to the Epcot resorts, check in at BCV, pray for Danny and John to arrive without incident from their experience of Magical Express, freshen everybody up, get back over to Rose and Crown for one mini-friends-of-disney meet, have a wonderful meal in faux Britian with our British friend (I thought this was brilliant; as we'll learn later - not so much), meet up with another disboard friend, closely monitor the alcohol intake so that we actually survive the carefully crafted itinerary, and call it a night. Well, OK, that was the plan.

Here's how it actually went: We arrived at Epcot without incident at around 12 noon and were immediately thrown into one hell of a line - with a Pirate, a pirate wearing more pins that I own - and I own a few. He was a convivial pirate, but he was still a pirate and I was trying very hard to be appropriately sympathetic to his recent experiences of Hurricane Katrina, which include having his home destroyed and his life turned upside down, while he's dressed as a pirate. Welcome Home! At some point, as he was sharing some of what he's been through, a manager came out and assured my family and the Pirate that if we moved all the way to the other end of the gate, we could find a window that would accomplish our purposes with absolutely no line.

NO LINES, you say? I'm so gullible. We moved. I'm quite sure he didn't mean to lie. But, believe me, friends, there were lines - all week, all of the time, and when we finally do manage to get to the front of the line, my DP (dear partner) is told that her AP voucher is void, at which point I am opening my carrying case and am reaching for a folder, which I am loudly proclaiming has all of the Disney correspondence I have meticulously collected over the past 15 months and I am sure that if he gives me just one minute I can find all of the supporting documentation for that VERY active AP voucher he is holding in his hand. At some point in the space of that little spiel, my DP's so-called impotent AP voucher found its potency, without the additional assistance of my supporting documentation. Big smile, big sigh.

So now I'm feeling a rush of pure self-satisfaction and in a moment of largesse I loudly proclaimed, "OK, I give in, let's go ride the Ball!" I say give in because, as we all could see, there was a LINE! But, I assured everyone, it's a constant load, how bad it could be? Twenty minutes later we were loaded (and, no, not in a good way). But, hey, I'm nothing if not flexible! (Oh, stuff it, I am too and, btw, isn't it about time for that long rumored update to the ball? Really, it wouldn't be too soon.)

At this point my very pampered family, having stood in TWO lines in the space of one hour, loudly clamors for a quick sprint to the international gate, do not pass go, do not spend $200.00, just get through the park (See! It's not just me!). We do just that, but my every fear of what's in store is confirmed by the wait times for the "thrill" rides that we spy along the way - Test Track 90 minutes, Soarin - 120 minutes, Ellen's Energy Adventure - 190 minutes (OK, not really, not on the last one - but it should be, and the others are the god's honest truth).

Well, I don't actually have photos of any of that, so here's what's coming up in the next installment:

P1000164.jpg

(Folks, I am very glad you're enjoying this and I very much appreciate the friends who are traveling over to this board from more distant ports, but do all sit back and have a cold one, for this is obviously going to on a bit. In fact, having originally planned to wrap up this report well before Christmas, my new hope is that we'll get it done before the next trip - in August!)

BCV - FINALLY

Finally, we wind our way through the maddening crowds (I'm sorry - NOT letting this go), and come out to paradise on the other side - the Epcot Resorts, Crescent Lake, Surrey City, Water sport wonders, a foretaste of heaven, well, you get the idea. Good times, as one of our more favorite posters would phrase it, and being derivative is the equivalent of flattery.

At this point, it's only 12:30 or so, so we have no hope of actually being able to access our room (not with those crowds), but we'd at least like to have the check-in process handled so that life's as simple as Simon for Danny and John.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but we felt our prospects rise when we were greeted at the BCV by a cast member who was clearly "family." Quelle surprise! Such a very nice, middle aged man (who looked much, much younger if he's reading this!!!), who was all pleasantries, and smiles, while also being quick with the small personal anecdotes that really make the magic come alive, even as he had to carefully explain to us that we would also have to check in with the lobby concierge so that our room cards would carry charging privileges. Was this result of DP and I having PAPS (my word, this sounds so GYN!). Frankly, I can't remember. It could be the drambuies.

Memory fails me, so here are some photos of our beloved BCV:

What I can remember is that at the end of our check-in process things were going so pleasantly I almost hated to risk breaking the festive mood, but I simply had to ask, somewhat sheepishly (and, folks, I'm more wolf than sheep), "Do you mean our rooms are ready?" To which our lovely CM responded, "Absolutely." Woo-Hoo! Good times, indeed!

Here I go kind of blank, but I think what happened is that we were so loopy with joy that we had actually scored our rooms before 4 PM, that we thought what the hell, let's fly by Beaches and Cream, which is scheduled for a one-week closure during our stay, starting two days from now. Since luck is being a lady, I think we honestly thought why not press the babe and see if we can slip in for burgers and shakes. I don't know what we were thinking, we must have been high, but there I was asking the sweet and clueless CM, "manning" B&C's lectern, if there might in the near future be a booth for a party of 6 that wasn't yet complete (OK, I didn't mention that very last part, but it was sure at the back of my mind). Surprisingly, her answer was "Yes, in about 45 minutes," at which point I did the math, flipped open my cell phone, placed a call to Danny and John, learned that they were at that very moment enjoying WDW's latest mind-bending DVD presentation, as they enjoyed their multiple stops en route to BCV on the Magical Express (Danny shared that their Magical Express was stuck behind another Magical Express at CSR and that their driver had shared that this condition might last for as long as another twenty minutes), did the math, and determined that 45 minutes was perfect, at which point we made a mad dash to our rooms, only to discover they were absolutely perfect, exactly what we had ordered (not that I had ordered much, just that the menz friends would have their own small kitchen, and sofa area, rather than the two bed arrangement).

The only snag was that midway on our trek to the room, the beeper went off. About 10 minutes in. That couldn't be right. But there it was, flashing away. That added a bit of zest to securing our rooms. So after placing the de rigueur phone call to maintenance to allow both of our thermostats to dip below 68 degrees, all the way down to ooh-la-la 62 degrees, we dashed back to the B&C lectern, only to learn that confusion prevailed. Let's make a very long story short, cut to the chase, assure the dear reader that I did have to assert myself a bit, but only a bit, all the while being perfectly honest about the fact that two members of our party were on WDW property, but were currently the property of that oh-so-unmagical Magical Express. The bottom line: at almost exactly the same moment, a table for six became available at exactly the same time as the magic carpet delivered our dear friends to us. My goodness. Good times, indeed.

And here's what we ate:

P1000059.jpg

P1000061.jpg

P1000065.jpg

My boy (at a later meal that evening, at Rose and Crown).

I don't care. I don’t care that I've never enjoyed a burger at B&C. I don't care that I always order the veggie burger and then remember I hate it. I don't care about all the bad press. The truth? This burger rocked! Maybe it was their two-days-before-closing-swan-song, but this burger was great. Simply lish, and I don't even like red meat, unless it's fan-friggin-tastic. This was. The gold standard. Yummy good times. Dessert wasn't bad either.

And here are some more photos of our beloved BCV:

P1000163.jpg

P1000164.jpg

P1000166.jpg

P1000169.jpg

Well, friends, that's two installments in one day and we're 2/3rds of the way through the first full day. One-third of a day to go. Unfortunately that day isn't very flattering. In fact, I really messed up. We'll get to it and I'll come clean, but that's for another day!

Loving the report and pictures so far! I was there at about the same time, and the crowds were crazy!

Glad that I'm not the only one who takes two pages of a thread to get through the first day!! :)

More, more, more!!!!

It's that carrousel made of chcocolate?

bubie2.5 said:
More, more, more!!!!

It's that carrousel made of chcocolate?

It is indeed! And did you see one of six hidden mickeys?

More to come, but not until tomorrow at the earliest. I have to shop today and teach tonight!

Thanks for all of the support!

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Brilliant..... I am looking forward to the next installment :-))))).

Viki! I loved to read your report! I love the fact you seem to have little adventures every day, (such as a visit with a pirate.) It reminds me of my family and every trip we take. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Great update Vicki!! had to pop on over before going to bed!! Can't wait to read the rest!!

kathy

Wow! You have a way of words Miss Vicki :) I always enjoy getting caught up in other's trip reports and I thank you for allowing me to take a journey on yours :)

BTW, I LOVE the "converted Scrooge to Lover" photo! It brought tears to my eyes :)

Viki said:
More to come, but not until tomorrow at the earliest. I have to shop today and teach tonight!

:::glancing at calendar::: It's now way past tomorrow. <g>

I'm so sorry for the delay, guys. I certainly intended to post at least one additional segment before now, but three events have conspired to prevent that. First our dear friend Danny (of the redemptive events mentioned above) flew into town, as he almost always does for the holidays, and we're having a very Merry time, believe it or not, right here in PA. The other even more significant problem is that upon the night of his arrival, while I was showing him his new glam status on the disboards, my Powerbook went crashing into the floor, destroying the screen, and severly limiting my ability to get on line. Right now I'm on my old laptop, via dial up (sloooowwwww). The third problem is that I am a religious professional and "'Tis the Season," so I am very busy.

That all said, I can't say when exactly I'll get my baby back (she's in the shop), but if it's not soon I'll brave this very slow system again and post another trip report ASAP early next week.

Have a good one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter