A Very Merry Miss Piggy: Holiday Decor-Viewing & Dining Weekend

Sunday, we woke early, but we were both tired and my arthritic knees were killing me so we decided to just take it easy at the hotel for the morning with the hopes of making it to Epcot for lunch & a Dismeet at La Cava. The maid knocked on the door about 8:00 AM to ask when we were leaving (really makes you feel welcome, doesn't it?) Anyway, we told her we were not leaving until official check-out time of 11:00. Hubby hung the do-not-disturb sign on the door. This did not deter her at all...she checked back every 20-30 minutes to see if we were leaving yet. And we repeatedly told her not until 11...see the sign on the door? After 3 interruptions, she finally got the message. I realize the housekeeping staff have many rooms to clean, but we are entitled to use the room for the full time we paid for! If we were staying that night, we would have let her in to clean. But we were checking out, and she knew it...it's not as if she could come in and strip & change the sheets and put out fresh toiletries for the next guests while we were still using the room! Anyway, we did have peace and quiet for our last hour. Anyway, we made coffee for hubby and I got a coke, and we settled in to eat our pastries from Captain Cook's and watch a little TV.

captcookapplepieandcoke.jpg

Now last night, the clerk had called these items "apple pie" but I see on the receipt they rang up as "apple Charlotte". After taking a bite, I couldn't figure out what the thing was. Seemed to be soft & doughy instead of crispy pie pastry on the bottom. And the crumbles on top were tasteless like toasted bread crumbs instead of cinnamony or brown sugary which is what they looked like. When I looked up recipes, it seems this dessert is made from white bread crumbs & apples to make an item resembling apple pie...well, this version in no way resembled apple pie, except for the apple filling. Altogether, this dessert looks much better than it actually tasted. Both of us scraped the apple filling out & ate that...we chucked the doughy base & crumbles parts. Would not recommend these.

Sunday lunch

Around about 10:45, we decided no way could I do all the walking from Epcot parking, and then through the park. So we decided to go to Downtown Disney for lunch...figuring hubby could drop me off near the restaurant end of Marketplace and then we could go to Wolfgang Puck...figured we'd be getting there right in time for early lunch, beat the crowds, etc. Hah! Our first clue something was amiss...all the guys on segways stopping people from turning into all the parking lot entrances anywhere near Marketplace. Hubby dropped me off down by the hotels end on DTD and went to find a parking place. He ended up getting one of the last parking places down by Planet Hollywood. And could barely walk through the crowds back up to Marketplace end. Meanwhile, I hobbled my way over to Wolfgang Puck. And found a line that doubled back on itself inside and trailed about 20 people out the door. This before 11:00 AM. By the time hubby joined me, about 11:10, WPE had switched over to lunch menu and the line was about 10 people longer than when I first arrived! Where were all these people coming from...I guess everyone in Orlando decided to go shopping at DTD that Sunday morning. There was some sort of art show going on, I think...and the golf tournament crowd may have been at DTD that morning, too, judging from some of the sports broadcaster/promotional vehicles parked down near the theater end of DTD.

Well, seeing that crowd at WPE, we said heck with it, let's go to Earl of Sandwich (when I walked by there 20 minutes before, there was only a few people in line.) Well, by 11:15, the EoS line was about twice as long as WPE. We decided to throw in the DTD towel, and go back to Coronado Springs Pepper Market, since we always meant to try it out one of these trips anyway.

Pepper Market is attractively decorated, and bright & sunny on a pretty day. The food all looks so good, we had a hard time deciding what to get. I finally decided I’d try the reuben, and hubby went for the grilled steak.

Steak, grilled veggies and French fries…looked good, but were just barely “OK”. Give it a grade C, very average taste/quality. The steak is about ½ inch thick, which is not very thick as steaks go. They must cook from frozen, or the grill is very low heat. It took a good 10 minutes to cook this...as thin as it was, to get it rare should have been about 2 minutes per side. But hubby stood there & watched it cooking. Virtually no seasoning on it (grill flavor, very little salt.) The veggies were in a big bowl near the grill, and we expected them to spoon them onto the grill & cook them, but apparently the veggies were pre-made because they just spoon them out of the bowl onto the plate next to the steak. They were kind of mushy instead of crispy-grilled. The big chunks that look like mushrooms are actually some odd sort of squash or eggplant…tasted like dirt and thoroughly gross mush-texture. French fries were average.
PMktsteakandveggies.jpg

I had the Reuben sandwich, chips and pickle; very fresh bread that looks like a great flavorful mix of dark & light wheat, but actually tasted like classic white wonder bread (as in meh) Tons of corned beef…totally flavorless. How do you have flavorless corned beef? I didn't know that was possible! The only flavor on this sandwich came from the over-abundance of sauerkraut…way too much, and way too vinegary. There was a tiny bit of dressing on the bread –so little I couldn’t taste it, had to peel sandwich open to see if they’d forgotten it. The sauce was there, again, just no taste to it. Chips were straight out of a bag, they were crisp & fresh but just regular old potato chips. Pickle was good. So basically, this was a wonderful looking sandwich with a great big NOTHING taste...unless you want sauerkraut. Then it's your dream sandwich because that's all the sandwich tasted of.
PMktreubenandchips.jpg

We wandered over to the bakery counter to choose desserts. I've seen reports that people were limited as to what they could choose for desserts, but we were told we could choose anything, including the ice cream sundaes. Several of the bakery items looked really good. The Fudge Dessert looked familiar, and then I realized it looked like the dessert I had in January at the Maya Grill (the CSR table service restaurant) so I asked, and the bakery server said yes, it’s the same dessert. My recollection was it was very thick, very rich creamy sort of fudge…almost like eating fudge frosting. Hubby wanted a chocolate dessert, so he chose this one. The version we had at Maya Grill had a tasty raspberry/dark chocolate sauce but it turns out this sauce seemed to be more like just Hershey’s syrup (no raspberry flavor to it.) This fudge also had an over-abundance of golden raisins - was about 1/2 raisins in there. In January, the raisins were few & far between, just an accent in the fudge…the fudge flavor totally overwhelmed the raisin flavor in the Maya Grill version. This time, ugh…way too many raisins for us non-raisin-people. We ended up taking most of this to-go , but then couldn’t eat it the next day because the raisin flavor was even more pronounced on day 2 - this was a poor imitation of the Maya Grill dessert (or maybe they've cheapened up the Maya Grill version too.)
PMktfudgedessert.jpg

I chose the Strawberry shortcake- this was definitely the highpoint of both meals…it was delicious. All that “frosting” is actually whipped cream, and tons of fresh strawberries in there. Cake is the drier/spongy sort kind of like a classic homemade shortcake, so a very good counterpoint to the richness of the whipped cream.
PMktstrawberryshortcake.jpg

I had a coke, hubby had an iced tea. Now I have to say, I can see why folks object to the so-called “service” in this place…it was virtually non-existent. The server brought our initial beverage and explained the stamp-card system (which had already been fully explained by the hostess at the check-in podium and then again by the woman who seated us and told us who our server would be. ) Anyway, that was the last we saw of our server until we were ready to leave. She never brought refills, never cleared our table, never checked back. When we got up to go get our dessert, she was walking by a nearby table and asked us if we were getting ready to leave…we said no, going for dessert & hubby asked for more tea. She brought his tea when we were almost done with dessert. Just in time for us to leave. Don't know why they even pretend these folks are servers in here. Really, you get your own food and bring it to your table. Bussers is all they really need. Put in self-serve fountains like all the other food courts…that’s what this really is, just a glorified food court. Pretending you’re getting served here is just beyond ridiculous.

Anyway, nice décor. Lots of variety, but our experience on 3 out of 4 dishes was that though everything is attractively presented and appears like wonderful food, the reality is this is just very average cafeteria quality food (the strawberry shortcake was a bit better than average.) Service – wasn’t any. Overall, Pepper Market would get a 4 out of 10. Would not go back even if we ever stayed at Coronado Springs again. Under no circumstances would I suggest anyone make a special trip over there. Total cash cost would have been $41, but all was covered by the regular Disney Dining Plan counter service credits (and no way was it worth $41, really.)

Note: Heads up to all on the dining plans...there's been discussion as to whether or not expected gratuity - mentioned on all receipts as "10% will be added to total" is actually included when you're on the dining plan. We were told the 10% gratuity was not included in the total billed to the dining plan - cashier told us the restaurant is reimbursed for food-only from the dining plans. We were told outright the tip is not covered by any of the dining plans…it is “up to us” to pay cash or charge to our room for the tip, according to the cashier.

Summing up our weekend...had a good meal at La Hacienda & lunch at Cosmic Rays & Captain Cook sandwich was tasty, but other that it seems like we had a lot of "misses" this time! Main Street Bakery, 'Ohana, Captain Cook's pastry, and Pepper Market were just not all that great. Well, we're just about done with our "Disney Restaurant Bucket List" so other than a couple of signature places (and any new places they may open) we're going to resume choosing restaurants completely on what we know we like. It's been fun trying out so many different restaurants but actually kind of glad we're done experimenting. We'll be back to Disney World in January 2011 with a grown-up son who hasn't been to Disney World in more than 10 years. We'll be doing the Deluxe dining plan, so 8 restaurants in 4 days: should be fun!

Thanks for sharing your weekend with us! I'm already looking forward to your next set of reviews. I hope your son enjoys the trip! Our son hasn't been since '07 and we're taking him for his 21st birthday in May!:goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your weekend with us! I'm already looking forward to your next set of reviews. I hope your son enjoys the trip! Our son hasn't been since '07 and we're taking him for his 21st birthday in May!:goodvibes

I'm sure we will have loads of fun...and so will you with your newly-adult son. It's a totally different vacation style when you're all adults...much more relaxed, for one thing. And everyone kind of on the same energy level, too. Course all my adult kids welcome the afternoon breaks...and if they decide to hang in the parks long after ma & pa are ready to crash it's great to have that Disney transportation available to them. Highly recommend getting adult kids a separate room, though. Way more relaxing for everyone to be able to have their own space to spread out.:thumbsup2

I'm sure we will have loads of fun...and so will you with your newly-adult son. It's a totally different vacation style when you're all adults...much more relaxed, for one thing. And everyone kind of on the same energy level, too. Course all my adult kids welcome the afternoon breaks...and if they decide to hang in the parks long after ma & pa are ready to crash it's great to have that Disney transportation available to them. Highly recommend getting adult kids a separate room, though. Way more relaxing for everyone to be able to have their own space to spread out.:thumbsup2

It's already different, he's more interested in the dining & cocktail plans than the parks.:laughing: We usually get a studio but for this trip we booked a 1 bedroom villa which will give him his own space.:goodvibes

It's already different, he's more interested in the dining & cocktail plans than the parks.:laughing: We usually get a studio but for this trip we booked a 1 bedroom villa which will give him his own space.:goodvibes

That's my son, too! When asked would he rather have a nicer hotel(moderate) and the regular dining plan with one table service a day...or a cheaper hotel (value) and the deluxe plan he wasted no time choosing the deluxe dining vacation! Now he will enjoy some of the rides & shows in the parks, but he's not big on the real thrill rides so I know we'll have plenty of time to do the favorites in the parks and still have lots of dining fun. We'll be trying 2 new-to-us signatures, and a repeat on Flying Fish...along with several other repeat-favorites. And really looking forward to the January cool temps & non-crowds.

That's my son, too! When asked would he rather have a nicer hotel(moderate) and the regular dining plan with one table service a day...or a cheaper hotel (value) and the deluxe plan he wasted no time choosing the deluxe dining vacation! Now he will enjoy some of the rides & shows in the parks, but he's not big on the real thrill rides so I know we'll have plenty of time to do the favorites in the parks and still have lots of dining fun. We'll be trying 2 new-to-us signatures, and a repeat on Flying Fish...along with several other repeat-favorites. And really looking forward to the January cool temps & non-crowds.

Which ones?

it was Nicki that wrote about the stale buns (Todd was looking forward to it and he felt like it was a day old bun)
Thanks for sharing your weekend with us. Sorry that Pepper Market was not good...we are staying at CSR for our first time and I'm sure we will eat there at least one time and hoping its not that bad (at least for our son meal)

Which ones?

In January, the signatures we'll be eating at will be Flying Fish, Citrico's and Hollywood Brown Derby (that's for the Fantasmic Package...we've done Mama Melrose several times and Hollywood & Vine once on F! package so trying HBD this time. I know it gets mixed reviews, but hubby really loves Cobb salad, so he's looking forward to that one.) Have never eaten at Citrico's either...had Narcoossee's but switched to Citrico's since there's been some bad reviews recently (written by Disboarders I tend to agree with on restaurants) Flying Fish...we ate there in September and really liked it. Son likes fish and has never been over to the Boardwalk area so that should be fun for him.

it was Nicki that wrote about the stale buns (Todd was looking forward to it and he felt like it was a day old bun)
Thanks for sharing your weekend with us. Sorry that Pepper Market was not good...we are staying at CSR for our first time and I'm sure we will eat there at least one time and hoping its not that bad (at least for our son meal)

Yeah, Todd & Nicki were actually there at the same time we were (they arrived the same weekend we were there.) I will be checking in January to see if the cinnamon rolls later in the day are fresh...I'm hoping once they use up the previous day's supply they'll be rolling out good ones! Pepper Market wasn't really "bad" food -- we were able to eat it. It just was there was nothing special about the food, we thought - blah. And could be we just happened to pick two things they do not do well. That's happened before. We've been to restaurants that we loved the dishes we ordered, but then I'll read a review slamming the place and the difference will be the other reviewer ordered totally different food. As long as you're going to be at CSR, go ahead and try it. You may have a completely different experience.

In January, the signatures we'll be eating at will be Flying Fish, Citrico's and Hollywood Brown Derby (that's for the Fantasmic Package...we've done Mama Melrose several times and Hollywood & Vine once on F! package so trying HBD this time. I know it gets mixed reviews, but hubby really loves Cobb salad, so he's looking forward to that one.) Have never eaten at Citrico's either...had Narcoossee's but switched to Citrico's since there's been some bad reviews recently (written by Disboarders I tend to agree with on restaurants) Flying Fish...we ate there in September and really liked it. Son likes fish and has never been over to the Boardwalk area so that should be fun for him.

Citricos and Flying Fish are our favorite signature restaurants!! I think you'll be happy you switched Narcoossee's out, we weren't impressed at all with it. We've never been to HBD but I have been reading good things about it!

it is such a shame that some of your food experiences were less than good. and cold cinnamon rolls for breakfast is just plain wrong! but I agree with you we don't want to waste our precious time in disney be re-joining the queue to complain. I have never fancied the menu at O'hana's for dinner, but I do love the breakfast there and think the atmosphere then is great.

I really am hoping it's just an unlucky timing issue. We had delicious cinnamon rolls from there in January & May of this year. And again just in September, we bought 3 cinnamon rolls & an apple turnover on our way out of the park...as we were leaving Disney World to head back to our Tampa condo. All 4 bakery items were very warm. We put them in ziplock bags in our cooler for the 2 hour drive home...and enjoyed them the next morning & the morning after that. They were delicious the next day, and just ever-so-slightly getting stale on the 2nd morning - a 10 sec. zap in the microwave restored the soft/gooey goodness. Now all 3 of those purchases were made either in early afternoon or late evening as we were leaving the park so I'm thinking they use up the rolls from the day before first thing in the morning. Then start baking fresh...at least that's how it worked out for us. I know one night we were there right when he brought out a piping hot pan-full of fresh cinnamon rolls--they were so hot the frosting was dripping off & he had to scoop it out of the pan & back on top when he put them on the plate. And in May, we stopped at MS Bakery late one night and had a cinnamon roll while waiting for the lines at the ferry & monorail to clear at park closing...that time the cinnamon roll was fresh-tasting & warm. I'm hoping!

Well, I guess timing might have been the issue...maybe they are baking fresh later in the day now.:idea:

I don't know why I feel there has been an ingredient change...you know how you can tell when someone used to bake with butter and then they switch to the cheapest margarine...it just tastes different. I remember how I loved getting those cookie ice cream sandwiches...this last time I had to throw it away after the first couple of bites. The cookies were a weird texture and flavor--maybe not being fresh is what I was tasting/feeling.

it is such a shame that some of your food experiences were less than good. and cold cinnamon rolls for breakfast is just plain wrong! but I agree with you we don't want to waste our precious time in disney be re-joining the queue to complain. I have never fancied the menu at O'hana's for dinner, but I do love the breakfast there and think the atmosphere then is great.

it was a real bummer, especially when we thought we had such a great morning plan outlined (since it was just us, we felt comfortable "wasting" some early park time with a "warm" pastry breakfast. When we're with others, we're usually trying to maximise park time so do the quick breakfast in the room.)

Well, I guess timing might have been the issue...maybe they are baking fresh later in the day now.:idea:

I don't know why I feel there has been an ingredient change...you know how you can tell when someone used to bake with butter and then they switch to the cheapest margarine...it just tastes different. I remember how I loved getting those cookie ice cream sandwiches...this last time I had to throw it away after the first couple of bites. The cookies were a weird texture and flavor--maybe not being fresh is what I was tasting/feeling.

I'm not sure about ingredient change on the cinnamon rolls, you know the darn thing was so cold/hard/too chewy to really focus on the taste all that much...I hope I can get a warm roll in January and then concentrate on the taste to see if it tastes cheaper. I totally agree about the cookies at MS Bakery...I do think they switched to margerine (or a very cheap veg. oil shortening) from butter. There's a greasy feel/taste to them that wasn't there before...and so far, we've only had cold & crispy cookies there. Wouldn't mind getting a warm cookie one of these days.

I used to love the rice crispie Micky treats but they dont make them anymore they buy them from another company and have them shipped in, that just arent the same:santa:

I used to love the rice crispie Micky treats but they dont make them anymore they buy them from another company and have them shipped in, that just arent the same:santa:

yeah, I had one of those and thought they were very commercial-tasting (not like "home-made" at all) and very dry, too. Kind of reminded me of rotten ones I had at a school lunch with one of my kids years ago...like they skimp on the marshmallows so mostly tasted non-sweet. What's the point of a treat that's not sweet,:confused3

I used to LOVE those! I dreamed about having several before my last trip. The taste has changed so much! I threw much of it away and will not buy another until I hear that they have changed the recipe back to what it was.:eek:

I love the cinnamon rolls and have never had one that wasn't warm and gooey. So sorry that yours was not. Too bad about the line or I would have gone up to complain. Loved reading your trip report! We want to try via happily on our next trip and I think we will leave out ohanas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter