A Vegetarian Vacation~8 days of food!

peaseblossom...looks like we might be crossing paths at AKL soon! Maybe I'll spot you at the Mara eating falafel too :thumbsup2

BTW that cinnamon roll looks pretty intense...not sure if all the sugar would be good first thing in the morning...plus I'm supposed to be eating better.

Hello! I just stumbled across your DR and am really enjoying it.

The falafel bread at Mara looks yummy and add me as another fan of Boma...love that place!

Mmm I could happily eat that chocolate pastry right about now :laughing:

I didn't read the posts before they were deleted, but I hate when people are mean for no reason! I think it is great when the chefs come out and either take their time explaining the buffet or making a special meal for those with special/restrictive diets whether by choice or by some condition.

I was thinking this as well. Dining reports are not easy to write and I'm glad you continued yours!

Keep the review coming, please! Just convinced my wiife to go to WDW in early November. It'll be her first time and the first thing she asked was "what will I eat?" She's a vegetarian (eats dairy) but my son is allergic to it. This is a handy report. Cheers!

Well...

Anyone recognize this place?

daedfdd8.jpg

:goodvibes Tusker House time!

d2150926.jpg

(I love the decor. A lot. :love: Also the fact that I managed to be the only one looking at the camera.:laughing:)

As this was our one Animal Kingdom day, we couldn't pass up Tusker House. Mom scheduled our lunch for the hour that she was told they were switching to lunch. I believe it was 11... But when we got there, Donald was still wandering around and breakfast was still being served! :scared1: Imagine our surprise.

Our server told us that it would be another forty minutes before lunch started cycling in. Although we were expecting lunch, this means we were able to try breakfast along with getting lunch! :thumbsup2

They DID have regular breakfast foods, such as pancakes, fruit, and bagels, but (as my first plate will show) I was in a lunch mood!

I would like to note that when the chef took us around he mentioned that the samosas and the tofu were fried in the same oil as the rest of the meat products. We then asked him if ALL the fried foods were in the same oil and he said yes. They have no separate fryer there. :sad2: I also think we couldn't eat one of the rices because of a stock..

9750bc0e.jpg

Well. Starting with the stuff that blends in with the plate... That's applesauce, then root vegetables, cold green beans with red onions, pearl (;)) basil couscous, basmati rice, jollaf rice, corn bread and butter, sweet potato casserole, and a bit of cottage cheese.

I loved the couscous. (Obviously it has my name written all over it!) The basil made it a little sweet while being savory and delicious. Dad didn't like the texture though. The green beans were good. I liked both rices. (I might like my starches a bit too much. :blush:) The sweet potato casserole was so interesting! It had coconut, beans, and a sweet sauce that enhanced the sweet potato. It was very good, hot, sweet, and tender. Mmm..

Lunch had started to arrive at this point. Which means my mashed potatoes! Yay! :woohoo:

bee0bdf6.jpg

This plate included my mashed potatoes, Tunisian Couscous salad, more of my couscous, a dill pickle, more corn bread and butter, green beans, a single sad baked potato, and hummus and pita.

Both couscous-es? were good. The tunisian was hot and tomato-y. Nice veggie flavors. I describe things wonderfully, right? :rolleyes1 The hummus here is more fluid than anywhere else we went, but I didn't mind and hummus and pita is always good.
Onward to Dessert!

a437fb67.jpg

Baklava, a lemon square, a chocolate cake, a vanilla sauce and a cherry fruit cobbler. I'll admit. No baklava can hold up to what my neighbor makes during the holidays. I could eat an awesome baklava and think it wasn't good when I think back to that delicious honey-filled heaven. That said.. I liked the baklava.
The lemon square was sweet and the perfect texture. I don't often eat lemon desserts, but oh wow was this good. The chocolate cake was a little dry despite the molten chocolate in the middle. The cobbler was alright, not great, but good. I wish I could just eat dessert all day though! :cloud9:

Till next time Tusker!

Aww, it stinks that Tusker House didn't have a separate fryer.

After this past trip where I finally tried Boma, I think it's safe to say that I can eat my weight in hummus and lavosh!

Catching up on your reviews now - great pics and descriptions of the food! Tusker House looks like a solid, interesting buffet, and I've seen quite a few positive reviews for it. I have to try it eventually (I loved TH when it was a counter service restaurant, but haven't been back since it changed to table service). :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your TH review. Great photo of you by the way!

Every ADR that we have had we have cancelled but I am determined to make it some day. I love the different options and the couscous looks wonderful! That's funny that you had a dish with your name in it! :laughing:

I am looking forward to more.

Whenever I see a review of Tusker House, I always think the food looks lovely. I am just not that keen on lunch/dinner buffets. Being a very picky eater, I find that there is usually not enough that I want to eat, which is a shame as it all looks nice. Sorry there were dishes that you couldn't have due to your diet. It looks as though there was plenty you could eat though.

I would like to note that when the chef took us around he mentioned that the samosas and the tofu were fried in the same oil as the rest of the meat products. We then asked him if ALL the fried foods were in the same oil and he said yes. They have no separate fryer there. :sad2: I also think we couldn't eat one of the rices because of a stock..

This is really strange, when I was there in the fall of 2008 and 2009, the chef told me that they were fried in the same oil and had them bring me out fresh ones that were fried separately. I wonder if they stopped doing this??? I LOVED Tusker House!

Tusker House.....YUM!

I also agree with emmysmommy...great pic of you! Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Very nice review...I understand needing guidance from the chef because I try to eat as gluten free as possible. I'm not allergic in the strictest sense...I just don't feel good when I eat items that contain a lot of gluten.

Awesome reviews. Glad you came back. :goodvibes
You're reviews are very informative. My 22 DD has been a vegetarian for about 4 years now and it's nice to see pics and reviews of things she can have when we go next May.
Keep up the great work.

First off I do not consider myself a vegetarian. I love most sea foods. I will eat razor clams and little necks but no calamari for me-- squid. I know it tastes very much like razor clam stips as I was not sure what calamari was and so near 40 years ago While I was dining at a buffet in Vegas I put some calamari on my plate-- yummie. I proceeded to ask the wait staff what calamari was and well that ended that love affair. Yep! I am one of those -- sad but true. Anyway back to my original thoughts------

I Love your pictures of plated foods being from buffets or restaurant plated. I find a lot of your choices are "comfort" foods to me. I love fresh vegetables with a bit of seasoned or regular real butter. Having that along with the pastas, grains, and root vegetables makes my tummy happy.

Going to share the fact that I HAVE to eat so much protein a day as I do kidney dialysis while I wait for a kidney transplant--( 5 1/2 years waiting now) So eatting as I do I have issues keeping my protein level up as I do not like legumes of any kind. I am going to put my husband on the poor farm as I eat a lot of sea foods to get that protein needed. There I go off track again -- sheesh. But I am loving your reviews and have used a couple so far for ideas to make myself a ymmy dinner-- ( lunch to the next day with any left overs).

Keep those reports coming.

Sorry for the long wait for Whispering Canyon! Life (and college) has caught up to me! I will get those reviews coming soon.

Great reviews so far! Thanks for sharing! We have some of the same plans for our trip in October. Had debated WCC, but in the end it will have to wait for our next trip (2014?).

Great reviews and pics! The Boma buffet looks so good. I hope we can try it one of these days!:stir::stir:

Loving the Vegetarian/Vegan reviews!! I also live with a pack of carnivores so I am always happy to see MY food choices represented!!:cool1:

looking forward to the WCC review. We will be dining here for the first time this August.

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter