A Thanksgiving Odyssey: Bands, Buses, and Big Bad Balloons (Completed!!!)

We pulled it off too. This past years stuff was also interesting, but I’ll get to that latter on in a different flash-back. The real question in our house is: “I wonder what they’ll ask for this fall?”
To infinity and beyond...:rolleyes1

Good question. A better one might be why anyone puts any stock in their calendar at all. They saw themselves making it all the way to now, but somehow or other missed that Cortez would basically drive them into extinction in the 1500’s.

Telling the future doesn’t seem to have been their strong suite.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Good point!

Yes, tell. Put please, no pictures. Well, maybe a "Before" picture, fully clothed.

Yah… you’re going to have to say more about that one, ‘cause now Barry has done gone and put some really horrible visions into my broken brain. At the moment the visual has landed somewhere in-between the Village People and the Chippendales.
Neither one is a good picture.

To infinity and beyond...:rolleyes1

I like it.
The joke-answer in our house right now when ever Max brings it up is: “Ninjas”.
I can see it now… you hear the music, but can’t see the band.
Those props may be a might easier to build.

Unless…
It’s up to us to create and build magic/illusion type of smoke and mirror devices large enough to make it happen… now I’m not so sure it’s such a good idea.
:lmao:

Yah… you’re going to have to say more about that one, ‘cause now Barry has done gone and put some really horrible visions into my broken brain. At the moment the visual has landed somewhere in-between the Village People and the Chippendales.
Neither one is a good picture.

You know that Saturday Night Live Chippendales sketch with Patrick Swayze and Chris Farley? Something like that.

Good question. A better one might be why anyone puts any stock in their calendar at all. They saw themselves making it all the way to now, but somehow or other missed that Cortez would basically drive them into extinction in the 1500’s.

Telling the future doesn’t seem to have been their strong suite.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Actually… (and you open this door, so it’s your own fault), if you watch that video of the final performance linked at the bottom of the post, half the band actually “died” and fell off the pyramid. It was rather a cool visual.

I always have to catch up with the videos later, for fear of the Bandwidth Police.

Background story:
We work with a particular composer named Frank Sullivan (awesome fell’a). He works with our staff and they devise a theme for the next season and then Frank goes off and writes original music for our kids to perform. We debut and perform the piece, but it’s still his work so he can resell it to other schools after we’ve completed the season (and the better we do with it, the more valuable the charts are, so he write very good stuff for us). Anyway… After we performed that show (titled: “Fast Track”) and won our first state championship with it, Frank resold the charts to five other schools the next year (and more the year after that). One of them contacted us and offered to buy the crossing gates and several other bits of hardware. We actually made a small profit on them, which is good, because it helped finance the props for the next year.

Wow, it's not often you have a guy giving you original compositions to perform. Especially songs that are actually good enough to sell!

again I say: “US-521 BBQ” (Ribs with possibly the best hushpuppies on earth), “Kings Mountain National Battle Field”, AAA Baseball, “Carowinds”; I have a spare room… It ain’t The Dells, but we have a few perks as well.

Mmmm...BBQ is always a good argument.

Do tell…
No really… do tell.
I want to hear more of that story. It sounds like y’all had a lot of fun with your performances. I love when that happens.
Art Rocks.
Art in schools Rocks… Absolutly.

Yes, tell. Put please, no pictures. Well, maybe a "Before" picture, fully clothed.

You know that Saturday Night Live Chippendales sketch with Patrick Swayze and Chris Farley? Something like that.

*shudder*

It's not so bad. Our standard uniform was a tuxedo, so we wore that for the first song in the competition. We performed the Aussie folk song "Waltzing Matilda", and did a very nice, polished performance, if I do say do myself. The 2nd song was a pirate song (I forget the name). Unbeknownst to everyone--judges, audience, even the rest of our own school--we had t-shirts, Bermuda shorts, eye-patches, bandanas, etc. underneath the tuxedos. So, when we finished Waltzing Matilda, we immediately started stripping on-stage down to the t-shirts and shorts. The room just went ballistic. Then we sang the rousing Pirate song. The judges were laughing so hard they could barely speak into their recorders. We knew we had them in the palm of our hands at that point, just for having the stones to pull that stunt in a formal competition. 1st place! :woohoo:

Wow, it's not often you have a guy giving you original compositions to perform. Especially songs that are actually good enough to sell!

Nope… We pay him too (and his work is worth the bucks). That’s one of the things that the booster club specifically raises money for (the school district certainly can’t afford to do so). But… we get a set of charts written specifically for our program and exclusive rights to perform them the first year.

In the Schools first year, we purchased one of his older shows. Being as he keeps up with who performs his work and how well they go about interpreting it, he made a point to see a recording of that season’s competitions. He then contacted our staff and said that he felt that our rendition of that show was the best he’d seen done and offered to write pieces specifically for us. We’d have been foolish to say no.

Mmmm...BBQ is always a good argument.

::yes::

*shudder*

It's not so bad. Our standard uniform was a tuxedo, so we wore that for the first song in the competition. We performed the Aussie folk song "Waltzing Matilda", and did a very nice, polished performance, if I do say do myself. The 2nd song was a pirate song (I forget the name). Unbeknownst to everyone--judges, audience, even the rest of our own school--we had t-shirts, Bermuda shorts, eye-patches, bandanas, etc. underneath the tuxedos. So, when we finished Waltzing Matilda, we immediately started stripping on-stage down to the t-shirts and shorts. The room just went ballistic. Then we sang the rousing Pirate song. The judges were laughing so hard they could barely speak into their recorders. We knew we had them in the palm of our hands at that point, just for having the stones to pull that stunt in a formal competition. 1st place! :woohoo:

Bonus points for cojones!
Great story and a hash mark in the win column.

Now I’m just waiting to hear how Barry’s razor-wit-of-doom will be savaging that tale.

Chapter 3: Taking a Bite Out of the Apple
(Day 3 - Wednesday)

Part 1: A Place of Healing

T3D3-101.jpg

An apple a day will keep the doctor away…

Really…

you’re going to go with that?
Actually starting the next chapter off with a cliché?

Yah, I should be flogged, but this is how I’ve chosen to play it.
It’s a new day in our odyssey to the “Big Apple” and we plan to spend the morning getting to know the place a little better. Depending on which of he Coaches one was ridding in, we’d all be getting a slightly different in depth lesson of one of the virtually innumerable aspects of this amazing city. For me… that particular bit of enlightenment would focus of a spot that is dedicated on many levels to healing, contemplation and even redemption. This being the case, that trite and abused opening statement seemed somewhat fitting (and I’ll try to redeem both it and myself in the musings to follow).

Can he do it?

Doubtful… but I will try.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The Next Adventure

Our third sunrise of the journey had arrived. Well… sort’a. I know the sun rose because the stars were no longer visible. But it was also true that Manhattan was still invisible (at least from the window in our room).

T3D3-102.jpg

It’s out there somewhere beneath all that muck on the horizon, but for now the only thing we have a clear view of is a wet parking lot and a small heard of motor coaches.

The general plan for today called for a bit of sightseeing in the morning; a bit of lunch and then a strategic retreat back to Jersey for some final rehearsals and a lot of rest (we were going to be somewhat busy rather early tomorrow). First things first though… food. Breakfast this morning turned out to be waffles and fruit served down in the Grand Ballroom. Unlike the previous day, all the scheduling and determining of who belonged where went off without a hitch and our hosts actually served up a fine meal. Really… it was pretty good. After a proper breaking of the fast, we loaded the whole outfit onto our five soggy coaches and headed east.

To get a different visual perspective (and not needing to head directly into “Mid-Town), we crossed the Hudson via the George Washington Bridge. From the upper deck I was finally able to make out at least a few elements of the famous NY skyline (thought much of this view looking south was still obscured by the mist and fog).

T3D3-103.jpg

Given the angle of the roadway approaching the GWB, we didn’t really get a good look at this grand structure until after crossing into the island and heading down toward Riverside Drive.

T3D3-104.jpg

First opened in 1931, this bridge in one of the busiest river crossings on Earth and can handle fourteen lanes of traffic on two levels. The structure was built near the sites of Fort Washington (in New York) and Fort Lee (in New Jersey). These fortified positions were used by General Washington and his American forces in an unsuccessful attempt to deter the British occupation of New York City during the American Revolutionary War. This fact led in part to the renaming of the bridge from its original designation of the "Hudson River Bridge" shortly after it opened. Initially the design for the towers called for a casing of concrete and granite. However, given the cost considerations during the depression in which it was built, folks decided that the exposed steel towers, were quite handsome just as they were thank you very much.

T3D3-105.jpg

Well lookie there… I found a way to throw in a picture that included a ship. Imagine that. Oh and by the way… that “ship” happens to be the USS Nautilus (SSN-571); the first nuclear powered submarine ever built and one that is open to the public (sans-reactor of course) over in Groton, CT. This is also my early warning (assuming that you haven’t already realized this) that what you’ll be getting during this part of the story will be half TR and half Bonus Feature (as I’ll be tossing out bits of history, folklore and tangentially associated smatterings of completely useless info along the way).​

Once in Manhattan, our convoy of buses descended down to Riverside Drive and road along the water front park that extends from the bridge down toward Mid-Town. This is a very pretty drive, that I wish I had better pictures of, but alas… such is not the case. Given the opportunity, you should visit this section of the city. The park is worth exploring as well as there are a number of recreational amenities and many monuments including Grant’s Tomb. I’m certain we road right by that particular edifice, but I must have been looking the wrong way at the time. I did see this structure along the way though…

T3D3-106.jpg

That… is the “Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument”. It was erected in Riverfront Park at the beginning of the twentieth century and commemorates Union Army soldiers and sailors who served in the American Civil War. It’s also quite an impressive structure in its own right.

Imagine That…

Once we’d gotten down to the neighborhood known as the Upper Westside, the buses pulled onto one of the residential streets near the American Museum of Natural History (a spot that I hope sometime in the future to return to and explore). It was at this point that we picked up our guides for the day. Each coach was going to take a slightly different route through Manhattan and stop at different spots along the way. Then we’d all meet up again for lunch at the South Street Seaport. The folks that were going to be showing us around town today were a father and sons team that hailed from Brookline who specialized in putting together various types of tours through out the five boroughs. As it turns out, Dad ended up commandeering Bus-4 and therefore our little group.

T3D3-107.jpg

I do not remember this fella’s name… and I’m actually quite upset by that fact. He did a really fine job of showing us around and making the things we were looking at come to life. As such he deserves better then to be forgotten, but I just can’t recall the name to save my sole.

Our first stop along the route actually was a stop.
The Coach pulled over at the corner of 72nd Street and Central Park West and we all hopped off and crossed the street toward one of the entrances into Central Park. Once out of the reach of the traffic everyone gathered together for the start of a rather nice waling tour through this little bit of the park. Our guide started with a little discussion of the building that was just back over our shoulders. Any diehard Beatles fans probably already know the spot of which I speak from the corner that we stopped at, but for the rest of you, we’re talking about this place…

T3D3-108.jpg

That is an apartment building known as The Dakota. This was the home of John Lennon (and still is the home of Yoko Ono). And it’s here in front of the main entrance to said building that a very troubled guy decided to shoot and kill the singer, songwriter, musician, peace activist and former Beatle. First off I’ll tell you a little about the building because it’s kind of quirky by itself (I’ll come back to Lennon in just a minute, so just hold that thought for now). Anyway… “The Dakota” was built specifically as a co-op apartment building and took four years to construct; finally opening in 1884. It was built by a gent names Edward Clark who was head of the Singer Sewing Machine Company at the time. The architect that he hired was a guy by the name of Henry Janeway Hardenbergh who would go on to design the equally famous Plaza Hotel.

T3D3-109.jpg

I rather like that last picture. It shows just how underdeveloped the upper sections of New York were little more then one hundred years ago. I mean… that’s almost shocking to me considering the image I’ve had of the place stretching far back into my childhood. It also shows just how massive the building was for its day and leads to another interesting “story”. As our guide related to us, it is generally accepted that The Dakota earned its name because when built, the area was so sparsely inhabited and separated form “the city”, that it was considered to be as remote as the Dakota Territory. It’s more likely that moniker came from Clark's fondness for the names of the new western states and territories, but it’s still a great tale. Given its size and location, away form the traditional power centers of the old city, the Dakota has traditionally drawn its residents from “new money” and the more creative industries that were never welcomed in the established sections of Manhattan (although this seems to have changed over the last ten years or so). Other then the Lennons, current and former residents have included such disparate individuals as: Lauren Bacall, Leonard Bernstein, Connie Chung, Rosemary Clooney, José Ferrer, Roberta Flack, Judy Garland, Lillian Gish, William Inge, Boris Karloff, John Madden, Rudolf Nureyev, Joe Namath, Jack Palance, Maury Povich, Gilda Radner, Rex Reed and Jason Robards.

Who knew that you could cram two paragraph of useless knowledge into a, inconsequential Trip Report that was based solely on just one pitiful building in the middle of one unbelievably massive city? Boggles the mind, don’t it? Anyway (and as I promised)… back to the subject at hand: John Lennon.

A number of actors and musicians have succeeded in acquiring the type of idealized fame that an early and untimely death brings, but most were the architects of their own demise. Lennon is relatively unique in having been attacked (and there not being any dispute about the events). Between that fact and the huge impact he had on pop culture in the 1960s and 70s, it is not surprising that many folks actually make pilgrimages to this spot. As such it shouldn’t come as a surprise that memorials have been erected in his honor, and one of them was just down the pathway from where we were standing.

T3D3-110.jpg

“Strawberry Fields” is a living memorial within a small section of Central Park that is dedicated to John Lennon. Officially opened on October 9, 1985 (the 45th anniversary of Lennon's birth), this quiet teardrop shaped section of the park was named for one of the Beatles' best-known songs (which in turn was named for an orphanage in Liverpool, England). Its centerpiece is an iconic black-and-white mosaic that was actually created by Italian craftsmen and given as a gift by the city of Naples.

T3D3-111.jpg

Along the path near the mosaic, you'll also find a bronze plaque that lists the 121 countries have chosen to endorse Strawberry Fields as an International Garden of Peace.

T3D3-112.jpg

The memorial is shaded by American elms and lined with benches. In the warmer months, flowers bloom all around the area. Apparently, strawberry bushes were also planted throughout as part of the original design, but the birds so ravaged the plants while trying to get at the berries in the spring that they were removed (at least… so says our guide).

A Walk in the Park

From the Peace Garden, we ventured farther into the heart of Central Park. The first non-organic site encountered was this one….

T3D3-113.jpg

…a statue of Daniel Webster. The original version of this was sculpted during the mid-19th century by Thomas Ball and the image was actually patented to allow for repeated replications of a statuette based on the figure. Don’t laugh… it sold well and earned the artist a small mint. In the 1870s, Gordon W. Burnham requested that Ball make a larger-than-life-size version of the original for Central Park. The finished rendition proved too large for placement on the Mall as its donor intended and was subsequently installed here, on the West Drive. Now many, many folks have taken and distributed images of this statue… but only I’m brazen enough to prominently feature its backside. Honestly… given the wet slightly gloomy day, the image of a stoic individual standing with his back to us and gazing off into the distance seem rather more fitting.

It was right about here that we also encountered several of these new fangled contraptions…

T3D3-114.jpg

The carriages are a common site in the park. Carriage tours are offered daily and very in price depending on length of ride and added extras. Generally one of these leisurely rides will set you back about $100 to $200 bucks (and they don’t generally undercut each other so if it’s any cheaper you ought to question it). Tours can be reserved or you can try to catch one as a walk-up. When available the folks offering walk-up rides will generally be parked along the south edge of the park between 6th and 7th avenues. There are also strict rules about how hot or cold it can be and still operate (you’ve got to consider the horses ya’ know) so keep that in mind if you’re thinking about reserving one.

OK… moving on. As we were continuing along Terrace Drive, the next thing we ran across was this fellow here…

T3D3-115.jpg

“The Falconer” is actually a replica of a work by British sculptor George Blackall Simonds. The original work resides in Trieste, Italy. A local merchant so liked that piece that he commissioned the duplicate and had in placed in the park in 1875. The sculpture was actually removed from Central Park in 1957 after it was seriously vandalized and the falcon was stolen. In 1982, a missing arm and the falcon were recast and the stature returned to the park. A nice little redemption story says I.

בית-חסדא

House of Mercy

A little bit farther along Terrace Drive and we came to the spot that was the actual point of the trip into the park this morning: the Bethesda Terrace…

T3D3-116.jpg

This lovely spot is actually one of the first structures to have been built in Central Park along with the lake that it looks out on.

T3D3-117.jpg

When first opened it was simply called “The Water Terrace”, but after the fountain was unveiled the name was changed to Bethesda Terrace.

Why?

Because of her…

T3D3-118.jpg

Not the pretty girl there foolishly hugging that ugly old galoot… the stone one in the background there. The unmistakable focal point of the Terrace is also one of the largest and more famous fountains in New York: a neoclassical sculpture known as Angel of Waters (although unfortunately for us, it was shut down for a bit of maintenance while we were there). It’s also the only statue in the park called for in the original design. The fountain was designed specifically to commemorate the opening of the Croton Aqueduct thirty years earlier.

Now just why would you went a statue to commemorate an aqueduct? Well… a lack of fresh, clean drinking water is the major cause of most disease in crowded urban areas (and a combination of disease and poverty is a very common cause for revolution, so solving at least one of the problems seemed to be a pretty good idea). The sculptor felt that the concept of pure water was important enough to us a biblical passage as the inspiration for the piece; specifically a passage from the Book of John that depicts an angle blessing a pool within Jerusalem and giving it healing powers. The pool became known as Bethesda (which means house of mercy), and now you know why everything else here received its name.

T3D3-119.jpg

Oh… one more little bit o trivia related to the Angel of Waters: the sculptor in question was a woman named Emma Stebbins and with this work, she became the first woman to receive a commission for a major work of art in the city of New York. Quite the trailblazer wouldn’t you say?

Decorative elements abound throughout the terrace and the entire structure is engulfed in carved panels and stonework. The numerous individual pieces are designed to evoke such themes as the Seasons, the Times of Day, the Ages of Mankind and other whimsical and abstract notions. Which is why you’ll find carving as curious as this one…

T3D3-120.jpg

The other major architectural feature of the Bethesda Terrace is the Arcade that travels beneath the roadway and is intended to act as a counterpart to the open terrace, by offering a completely different experience from the surrounding scenery.

T3D3-121.jpg

The original highlight of the arcade was an installation of more than 15,000 colorful, patterned encaustic tiles, made by England’s famed Minton Tile Company. These were designed by Jacob Wrey Mould , the same architect that conceived of the various decorative carvings found throughout the Terrace. This was also the only place in the world where Minton ceramic tiles are used for a ceiling. Over the decades, the 50-ton ceiling weakened and its tiles deteriorated until they were removed and stored in the 1980s.

The Bethesda Terrace has experienced many changes throughout the decades. As late as the 1960's its function aligned with its creators' intention as a place of social gathering and it even featured a restaurant. By the 1970's however, the entire terrace area was rather unsafe and used primarily for drug trafficking. To New York City’s credit, this was not allowed to continue and through a number of civic initiatives and policing, the park was restored as a sanctuary for the city’s residents. Even the Minton Tiles were refurbished and returned to the Arcade…

T3D3-122.jpg

I took a lot of pictures of this tile work, but none were anywhere near as good as this work that I found in the public domain. I felt that you deserved to get the full impact of the work that was done here, so this image beats all of mine hands down.

The Bethesda Terrace is known not only for its spectacular views and people-watching opportunities; it is also frequent by talented street performers. I can speak to this fact first hand as we encountered three vocalists who were taking advantage of the natural echo chamber created by the arcade.

Cool! Scenery, history and music…
three things that are pretty much guaranteed to make me happy.

Well… it’s about time to start back toward our waiting coach and continue on with the riding part of the tour. I don’t know about you, but I rather enjoyed this little walk in the park. I knew that Central Park was a major feature of the city, but really had no idea just how expansive it is. We saw just a very small part of this lush garden, and yet within it I encountered moments of calm, a desire for comfort, peace and healing, and numerous reminders of the powers of healing and redemption. If I were to see nothing else of interest the rest of the day… I would still have called it an amazing adventure.

Of course… it’s early yet, and there is more to see.

T3-010.jpg

Rob,
Loved the tour of (part of) Central Park. As with many people, NYC is on my bucket list and Central Park is big part of that. Since my trip isn't even in the thinking about maybe planning stage, coming along with yours and reading your history and narration is almost like being there!

Not sure how to go through and multi-quote this one... I tried, but you used too much fact and not enough comments to make fun of. :rolleyes1

I really enjoyed the pictures and stories about Central Park. Like Barry said, that is some place I really would like to see sometime.

The part about the George Washington bridge was interesting as well. I'm glad you were able to find a picture with a historic Naval vessel in it.:lmao::rotfl2:

Rob,
Loved the tour of (part of) Central Park. As with many people, NYC is on my bucket list and Central Park is big part of that. Since my trip isn't even in the thinking about maybe planning stage, coming along with yours and reading your history and narration is almost like being there!

Thanks Barry…
That’s mighty high praise.

I’m just trying to show y’all what I got to see
(and find some way to make a 40 minute walk from a bus to a fountain and back sound more interesting then it might otherwise appear at first).
:rolleyes:

Not sure how to go through and multi-quote this one... I tried, but you used too much fact and not enough comments to make fun of. :rolleyes1

Yah I’m sneaky that way ;)

I really enjoyed the pictures and stories about Central Park. Like Barry said, that is some place I really would like to see sometime.

And I hope you both get to go some time in the very near.
I really need to go back. We saw much, but we saw it quickly.
There are some stops I want to return to and spend more time at.
There are even more spots that we missed that need exploring.

The part about the George Washington bridge was interesting as well. I'm glad you were able to find a picture with a historic Naval vessel in it.:lmao::rotfl2:

Oh good…
You found something in it to smack me up side the head with.
I was getting concerned, so good work there.

That one was pure happenstance…
I was looking for an older image of the GWB, and that one just popped up
I couldn’t resist.
:rolleyes1

Hey Rob,

Sorry I'm late to the update. Just wanted to check in and catch up.

Nice shots of Central Park. I walked around that area in 2001...just before taking a tour of the WTC. :eek: We were there in May that year.

I remember exploring Bethesda Terrace, noting that it was the location where Mel Gibson's son got kidnapped in the movie Ransom. Sorry, that's just how my mind works.

I've always enjoyed the view of the GWB and NY skyline as well. Although I prefer to look at the GWB rather than attempt to drive over it. We like taking the Palisades Parkway along the Hudson so we can savor the view. :thumbsup2

Sorry I'm late to the update. Just wanted to check in and catch up.

You’ve been unquestionably busy… you have the right to miss an update or two.

I, on the other hand, really don’t have any valid excuse (beyond work) for not putting up the next chapter before now.

I’ll rectify that in a minute, but still…

Nice shots of Central Park. I walked around that area in 2001...just before taking a tour of the WTC. :eek: We were there in May that year.

Wow… CJ was there at around the same time.
It’s a bit strange to think of where we were at around then, or to think how long ago that was now.

I remember exploring Bethesda Terrace, noting that it was the location where Mel Gibson's son got kidnapped in the movie Ransom. Sorry, that's just how my mind works.

+1 for any movie reference… those are always useful in terms of dressing up my less then engaging commentary.

Here, I’ll add another one.

It’s also the spot where Dr. Peter Venkman chose to surprise and try and get a date with his recent client: Dana Barrett…

I’m sure you know the movie in question, but it will be making an appearance in my upcoming post as well.

I've always enjoyed the view of the GWB and NY skyline as well. Although I prefer to look at the GWB rather than attempt to drive over it. We like taking the Palisades Parkway along the Hudson so we can savor the view. :thumbsup2

Were I farther north I’d like to be traveling into the city more often myself. If I do get that far north again in the near, I’ll have to keep this recommendation in mind.

(Day 3 - Wednesday)

Part 2: The Fruits of Others Labors…

T3D3-201.jpg

If nothing is done… nothing happens.

Things don’t just appear out of nowhere. If you can see it, feel it, touch it or experience it… then either someone or something has done some type of work to make it so. Even a forest requires work. Granted it’s the plants and trees themselves that are performing the “labor” required to convert water, carbon dioxide and various minerals into the xylem and phloem needed to build these verdant cathedrals, but the work is getting done. And only after that work is completed can one lean back and appreciate the results. If you’re very lucky, you may even have done enough of your own work to allow yourself to “buy” the time and resources it takes to lean back and appreciate the results of other folks work.

We were very lucky.

Were we not, we wouldn’t even have been along on this expedition in the first place. But since we are here (and we are lucky), we were going to spend the rest of the morning enjoying the results of other folk’s labors. Specifically the labor it took to create the forest (both natural and synthetic) that is the city of New York.

T3D3-202.jpg

Given that lead in, I figure that y’all are expecting monumental things. Well, now I have to confess that what I’m up to here is really just a bus ri… errr… excuse me… coach ride through the borough of Manhattan. That doesn’t mean that we won’t be seeing some great things, but I’m attempting to make a common jaunt on a tour bus sound as interesting as possible here. In truth, a “bus tour” is a good way to get oriented to a new place and identify which offerings you might want to come back to and explore in greater detail. Given our fairly limited schedule, however, much of what we were about to see would only be seen (by us anyway) thought the windows of our diesel conveyance while making our way to the southern tip of the island.

Que sera, sera…

The Upper West Side

After completing the trek from the Bethesda Terrace back up to 72nd street, we found ol’ reliable Bus-4 waiting on us.

T3D3-203.jpg

Once everyone was settled, we headed south for a moment and then just passed the “Ghostbusters” building, a quick right onto 66th plunged us into the part of the city known as the Upper West Side. This is pretty much everything between the Hudson River and Central Park. The first thing we encountered was this small square at the corner of 66th and Broadway.

T3D3-204.jpg

There’s really nothing all that amazing here, but it does illustrates something I’ve encountered about NY. You won’t see anything there that you’ve never seen before… but you will see a whole lot of it. Farmers Markets are common but you just don’t think of them in places like NYC. Nor do you think that you’ll encounter them in nearly every square or about every ten or twenty blocks, but you do. There are bunches of ‘em scattered all over the place.

This one is open a few days a week on a spot that is named for Richard Tucker, a prolific American operatic tenor. There’s even a bust of the vocalist in question in the middle of the square. That unnecessary factoid about someone you’ve likely never heard of illustrates another facet of this neighborhood. While it is primarily residential and defiantly upscale, perception wise, it’s also considered to be the spot where you’ll find the city’s cultural and artistic workers (as opposed to the Upper East Side which is traditionally considered to be home for the more business oriented). This was not always the case. At one point the area was fairly rough and even served as a backdrop for the filming of “West Side Story” (thus the name of the tale). So what happened to kick off a renaissance? Well, there were several precursors, but the main culprit (or hero in this instance) was this little bit of urban renewal right here…

T3D3-205.jpg

The centerpiece of the "Lincoln Square Renewal Project" in the 1950s and 1960s…

Lincoln Center replaced what was once seventeen blocks of ethnic tenement neighborhoods with a world-renowned performing arts complex. Lincoln Center really isn’t one thing. There are numerous individual venues ranging from the Metropolitan Opera House to variously sized dance and symphony halls, theaters and rehearsal studios and even an outdoor amphitheater. Groups and organizations that call the center home include the Juilliard School, the New York City Ballet and the New York Philharmonic orchestra. Now I suspect that the 7,000 families who lost their homes through imminent domain were not near as impressed with all this as the rest of the populous, but nearly all advancement has it’s share of losers (it’s usually the same class of folks that end up being the losers, but that’s a discussion for a different time and place).

From here the coach headed on down the upper section of Broadway until we reached the southwest corner of the neighborhood at Columbus circle.

T3D3-206.jpg

Actually… that globe is not in the center of the circle, but from my side of the bus, it’s really all I could see at the time so this picture is useful in illustrating a unique downside of a bus tour; that being that the vehicle itself will at times prevent you from seeing what’s going on. But the Internet is here to help…

T3D3-207.jpg

There’s the monument to the first European to encounter the isles of the Caribbean (but didn’t actually find North America). You can see the same globe that I saw there in the background dressing up the area in front of the Trump Tower. Interestingly, I know that Bus-3 stopped in this exact part of town for their walking tour. I know this because I asked Max were they started out and he said: “Trump Tower”. So I asked him: what did you see, wha’d ya’ think…

**while shrugging shoulders**
“It’s pretty much just a big building.”

Not one world about Columbus, the circle, the USS Maine national monument, the Time Warner Center, or anything else that I’m sure their guide imparted on them.

Teens… :sad2:

Well before we leave this part of the city, let me list off a few other things that can be found in the West Side…

American Folk Art Museum

American Museum of Natural History
and the Hayden Planetarium

Children's Museum of Manhattan

New-York Historical Society

Museum of Biblical Art

You’ll also encounter such business concerns and organizations as: the American Broadcasting Company (“ABC” to you and me), the American Bible Society, Time Warner’s design headquarters, both ASCAP and BMI, and even the headquarters for The College Board (that’s the folks that run the SAT testing that will make or break your young’ens collage aspirations).

Any questions? Yes… you over there in the back, what was that again? “Ghostbusters”… was I planning to move on without even explaining that reference? Silly me. Yah, back there at the beginning of this section I mentioned the “Ghostbusters Building”. That would be this one…

T3D3-208.jpg

55 Central Park West (back at 66th St.) was used to depict the site where the “Dana Barrette” character resided and where the final confrontation between the erstwhile professors-come-parapsychologists and the powerful demigod: Gozer would take place. The chosen form of “The Destructor” (that of a giant “Stay Puft Marshmallow Man”) can be seen walking from Columbus Circle up CPW toward the building (if your watching carefully). The building is enhanced and depicted as being much taller, but it’s the same structure, and since the film’s release… the locals have all considered this venerable collection of apartments to be simply: “The Ghostbusters Building”.

OK… the light just turned green so it’s time to move on to the next part of the tour.

Midtown

The swath of the island stretching from Central Park down to 42nd Street is generally considered to be Midtown Manhattan. Actually there is a Midtown East and a Midtown West with 5th Avenue forming the dividing line. This apparently arbitrary boundary really isn’t random. City planners created it. All buildings between that thoroughfare and the East River contain “East” in their addresses designations (like: 89 East 42nd Street, AKA: Grand Central Terminal), while those to between Fifth and the Hudson contain the prominent “West” identifier (EG: 11 West 53rd Street: The Museum of Modern Art).

For our purposes, the tour starts here…

T3D3-210.jpg

…at the Grand Army Plaza; corner of Central Park South (also known as 59th street) and Fifth Avenue. Again, the “site” I’m trying to see is on the wrong side of the bus, but what you have there is a statue of Civil War general William Tecumseh Sherman on horseback with "Victory" in front and pointing the way forward. This kind’a explains why it’s called the “Grand Army Plaza”; the name is taken from the victorious “Grand Army of the Potomac” (well… this is New York… they are Yankees… what did we expect). Had I been looking out my own window, I’d have seen this…

T3D3-211.jpg

(Thank you Internet)

The Pulitzer memorial fountain with its bronze statue of the Roman goddess of fruitful abundance: “Pomona”. This is also where you’ll find the famed Plaza Hotel (and yes… it is named from the “Grand Army Plaza” that it overlooks).

From here we traveled south along Fifth Avenue. There is much here and most of it is some relatively famous retail establishments (and most of that was on the other side of the bus from me). I did see this edifice as we got caught by one of the lights…

T3D3-212.jpg

St Thomas Episcopal Church.

Like any major church in Manhattan, there is plenty of history and significance to this structure, but that’s not why I’m including it here. Actually I just like the picture. Yah… the color and light is off a bit (it was still overcast and threatening rain). The angle being taken back over my shoulder and through a bus window is a might “whoppy-jawed” as well. Granted, but I like the details in the façade, the shadows around the doorway and the brilliant splash of color that the US Flag fluttering in the stiff breeze presents as it defies the gray and tan surrounding it. Simply put… I like it, so you’re stuck with it.

Moving on…

At the corner of 49th, our driver made a nimble right (well, nimble for a bus anyway), and drove us back through the middle of the same Rockefeller Plaza that we’d explored the day before.

T3D3-213.jpg

When we got to the ice rink, it was immediately obvious that all the state flags had been replaced by simple gold and silver banners (which changed the look of the place greatly… even amidst the gloom of this rainy week). The Christmas tree was still entombed by scaffolding, but they were just about to begin the process of freeing the giant for the official lighting that evening. We still wouldn’t be seeing it, but it was going to be happening.

A little bit farther along I caught this image…

T3D3-214.jpg

I can’t tell you for certain which building this was in front of (although I guarantee I can figure it out if you really want to know), but I liked the scene. Were it actually a bit darker, all the lights in the trees would have been particularly stunning, but either way, they played off right well with the pyramid of oversized ornaments that had taken up residence in the midst of the fountain.

Up at the next stop light along we were presented with this ordinary but rather well known visual representation of NYC…

T3D3-215.jpg

Not the food-cart (they’re common the world over)… I mean that chimney looking thingy. It’s hard to think of a movie that used the city as an overt background or even as a character in its own right, without also seeing steam escaping from either a manhole cover, a crack in the road or one of these plastic orange and white chimneys. But what are they exactly?

ConEd (that’s Consolidated Edison Power and Electric Co.) uses steam to produce power and also to supply heat to a good bit of the city. They started doing this in the 1880’s specifically in the financial district, but when a severe blizzard nearly shut down the city a few years later, the public became more accepting of the service and it expanded northward (as far as 96th St.). There are now more than 100 miles of mains and service pipes that make up the ConEd steam system. When one of these pipes breaks or requires maintenance or there is just too much pressure in the system, that excess energy has to go somewhere. The steam chimneys are placed over these vents and fractures to ensure that the resulting clouds of boiling hot water vapor are released high enough into the air to prevent pedestrians from being poached alive.

And now you know.

Time for a new direction. A sharp left and we headed south down 7th Avenue and into the middle of the area of midtown known as Times Square. The oddest thing I saw here was this vignette…

T3D3-216.jpg

Yes it’s blurry (we were on the move at the time), but your eyes are not deceiving you. Now I do not know why Mickey Mouse was dressed up at St Nick and greeting people outside of “M&M World” at Seventh & 48th. But there he was. The odder thing though is that there is such a thing as “M&M World” in the first place and that it takes up a space the size of a department store in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the “actual” world.

Another block or two down the way and we were in the center of Times Square proper.

T3D3-217.jpg

Physically… this is where Broadway crosses Seventh Avenue
(and heart of the Theater District)

Culturally… this is the symbol of commerce and commercialism in the US
(and the epicenter of televised New Year’s Eve celebrations)

Spiritually… it’s another redemption story
(of sorts)

Previously known as Longacre Square (I could explain why, but it would quickly take on a life of it’s own and grow into a Frankenstein of a rambling bonus feature), the name changed in 1904 when the New York Times moved their news print operations into a new building in the area (specifically the spot where the famed Times Square Ball drop now occurs every New Year's Eve). This spot on the map grew quickly as the city spread north and at first was considered one of the most desirable locations in town. But as usual, where money resides, folks with a knack for taking it soon follow. During the Roaring Twenties the square was besieged by crime and corruption, in the form of gambling and prostitution. As the Depression settled like a heavy shroud on the land, the entire atmosphere changed and the area acquired a “rep” as a dangerous neighborhood. From the 1960s to the early 1990s the square was personified by a seedy mix of “go-go bars”, sex shops, and adult theaters. Times Square had become an infamous symbol of the city's decline.

So what happened to change this?

Well, in a way… Disney happened. First the city stepped up the policing of the area and took position of a number of older buildings and theaters. Then they invited tourist friendly business (like one we are very familiar with) to set up shop with incentives and tax deals. They even closed Broadway to traffic within the square to increase pedestrian traffic (and cut down on the vehicular mayhem). There are those that actually refer to the make over as “Disneyfication” (and Disney is certainly one of the major residents on the square these days), but none can deny that the area has been reclaimed for the better (even if they themselves wouldn’t be caught dead mingling with the commoners and throngs of tourists occupying the place these days).

Apart from the sea of electrified billboards, the other most notable physical landmark is the TKTS booth and the Red Steps in Duffy Square…

T3D3-218.jpg

Wait a second… I thought you said this was “Times Square”!

I did, but the northern end (just before Broadway and 7th actually cross) is also named for Father Francis D. Duffy (who is depicted in the statue at the foot of the red stairs there). Duffy was the celebrated chaplain of New York's "Fighting 69th" Infantry Regiment during the “Great War”.​

Now where was I? Oh yes, the TKTS booth. First conceived in the 1970s, it is run on behalf of the various theaters in the area and sells same day ticket to the major Broadway shows at greatly reduced prices. Additional blocks of tickets tend to be offered as curtain times approach and the theaters try to fill all the remaining seats. Choices can be limited but it supplies locals and tourists alike with the chance to see great entertainment that might otherwise be priced out of reach.

The “Red Steps” basically form a roof over the booth and are there to offer a place to rest and to get an elevated view of the entire square (which, let’s be honest, is pretty much just a vast tourist attraction in its own right).

T3D3-219.jpg

We’re just about done with the Midtown area, and I’m running into the image limit for posts as well, so I think I’ll bring this section of the tour to a close and pick it back up again a few blocks down and in the next entry of this here pointless TR. In the mean time, I’ll toss out a few more images of the current iteration of Times Square for y’all to enjoy (or ignore… either way is fine by me). As a group, we’ll be back here later on in the week so I’ll tell you more about it then.

T3D3-220.jpg

“Father Duffy”

T3D3-221.jpg

“George M. Cohan”
(who also resides permanently in the square)

T3D3-222.jpg

…and a little reminder of Disney’s uncanny ability to never be too far from our everyday lives.

T3-011.jpg

If you’re very lucky, you may even have done enough of your own work to allow yourself to “buy” the time and resources it takes to lean back and appreciate the results of other folks work.

I could really use that right about now.

That doesn’t mean that we won’t be seeing some great things, but I’m attempting to make a common jaunt on a tour bus sound as interesting as possible here.

It's either that, or I do more work. A bus tour sounds great.

Now I suspect that the 7,000 families who lost their homes through imminent domain were not near as impressed with all this as the rest of the populous, but nearly all advancement has it’s share of losers (it’s usually the same class of folks that end up being the losers, but that’s a discussion for a different time and place).

A lot of laws and procedures have been put into place since the 1960's in order to try and remedy that.

So I asked him: what did you see, wha’d ya’ think…

I guess he won't be hired as a NYC tour guide anytime soon.

Any questions? Yes… you over there in the back, what was that again? “Ghostbusters”… was I planning to move on without even explaining that reference? Silly me. Yah, back there at the beginning of this section I mentioned the “Ghostbusters Building”.

Cool! I hope you were making marshmallow jokes the whole time. :thumbsup2

Simply put… I like it, so you’re stuck with it.

No problem. I like it, too.

The steam chimneys are placed over these vents and fractures to ensure that the resulting clouds of boiling hot water vapor are released high enough into the air to prevent pedestrians from being poached alive.

Well, that's considerate of them.

So what happened to change this?

Well, in a way… Disney happened.

Sounds like a good thing to me. I know most locals decry Times Square as only for tourists, and would never set foot there, but I kinda like it. I mean, you don't get to see a spectacle like that everyday.

Part 2: The Fruits of Others Labors…
Thankfully you're not talking about the Fruits of Other's Looms. This is a family board.

Well, technically he's right you know.

Any questions? Yes… you over there in the back, what was that again? “Ghostbusters”… was I planning to move on without even explaining that reference? Silly me. Yah, back there at the beginning of this section I mentioned the “Ghostbusters Building”. That would be this one…
How many people on the bus started yelling "Who you gonna call?" I'll be there was at least one. Well, if I was on the bus there would have been. :rolleyes1

This kind’a explains why it’s called the “Grand Army Plaza”; the name is taken from the victorious “Grand Army of the Potomac” (well… this is New York… they are Yankees… what did we expect).
We one that one, you know. :thumbsup2

Yes it’s blurry (we were on the move at the time), but your eyes are not deceiving you. Now I do not know why Mickey Mouse was dressed up at St Nick and greeting people outside of “M&M World” at Seventh & 48th. But there he was. The odder thing though is that there is such a thing as “M&M World” in the first place and that it takes up a space the size of a department store in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the “actual” world.
And when I seem him in Disney World, he never expects a tip when I take a picture with him.

Remember all that stuff I said earlier about how great it is that you're playing tour guide to us since it will be quite a while before we'll have a chance to get there and experience it for ourselves?

Ditto. :thumbsup2

If nothing is done… nothing happens.
Unless somebody else does it. Isn't that how things work these days?:confused3

Now I suspect that the 7,000 families who lost their homes through imminent domain were not near as impressed with all this as the rest of the populous, but nearly all advancement has it’s share of losers (it’s usually the same class of folks that end up being the losers, but that’s a discussion for a different time and place).
I'm sorry your homeless, but it's for the arts! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

But the Internet is here to help…
This update has taught me something very important. As long as you have the internet, you don't really have to go anywhere to see these things!

Any questions? Yes… you over there in the back, what was that again? “Ghostbusters”… was I planning to move on without even explaining that reference? Silly me. Yah, back there at the beginning of this section I mentioned the “Ghostbusters Building”.
Hmm... I just got a sudden craving for smores. :confused3

This is also where you’ll find the famed Plaza Hotel (and yes… it is named from the “Grand Army Plaza” that it overlooks).
It is also where Kevin stayed in Home Alone 2. You know, in case you're looking for another movie reference.

Simply put… I like it, so you’re stuck with it.
I can't disagree with the elaborate description you wrote, but this would have sufficed.:rolleyes1 :lmao:

At the corner of 49th, our driver made a nimble right (well, nimble for a bus anyway)
So, what you're saying is the driver didn't curb it? :confused3

I can’t tell you for certain which building this was in front of (although I guarantee I can figure it out if you really want to know)
I'm surprised you didn't already do that research and put it in your update.

Now I do not know why Mickey Mouse was dressed up at St Nick and greeting people outside of “M&M World” at Seventh & 48th.
Mickey Mouse and M&M World... If DS had to describe Heaven, that would probably be it.

Apart from the sea of electrified billboards, the other most notable physical landmark is the TKTS booth and the Red Steps in Duffy Square…
Ok... Disneyfication... Duffy Square... you're starting to worry me.

I did, but the northern end (just before Broadway and 7th actually cross) is also named for Father Francis D. Duffy (who is depicted in the statue at the foot of the red stairs there). Duffy was the celebrated chaplain of New York's "Fighting 69th" Infantry Regiment during the “Great War”.
Thank God! I'm glad it isn't that stupid, commercialized, wannabe Pooh bear.

…and a little reminder of Disney’s uncanny ability to never be too far from our everyday lives.
Funny how that works, isn't it?

I could really use that right about now.

Yah… it’s certainly about time for y’all to catch a break.

It's either that, or I do more work. A bus tour sounds great.

What? More work doesn’t sound better then my ramblings?
Your job must be near as bad as mine these days.

A lot of laws and procedures have been put into place since the 1960's in order to try and remedy that.

True, and that’s a good thing. But it’s more of a general observation on life. There will always be those that have and those that don’t, and in any competition, the “don’t haves” will generally loose out. It’s a natural process.

I guess he won't be hired as a NYC tour guide anytime soon.

He’s still way too young to actually be listening to what anyone else has to say.

Cool! I hope you were making marshmallow jokes the whole time. :thumbsup2

I’m not near as good with the quick off-the-cuff jokes as say… you and Barry.
Feel free to add them in at regular intervals. I’d hate for this TR to have to stand on just my writings.

Well, that's considerate of them.

It’s a little like putting up guard rails

Sounds like a good thing to me. I know most locals decry Times Square as only for tourists, and would never set foot there, but I kinda like it. I mean, you don't get to see a spectacle like that everyday.

I’m for it. When I was last in the city (1991 that would be), this section of town was pretty… ummmmm… unsavory. I don’t think that the locals would have said that it was the face they’d have picked to present to the world. It may not be the best representation of New York’s actual character, but it certainly creates a better environment for folks to start out with. Then they can branch out and explore on their own with more confidence.

Thankfully you're not talking about the Fruits of Other's Looms. This is a family board.

I don’t know…
Have you read some of the “conversation” that takes place on other parts of this here “family board”?

Well, technically he's right you know.

True, but technically WDW is just another amusement park, so I don’t need to be taking him back there any more.

How many people on the bus started yelling "Who you gonna call?" I'll be there was at least one. Well, if I was on the bus there would have been. :rolleyes1

And our trip was just a little bit sadder due to your absence.

We one that one, you know. :thumbsup2

Yah… we’re very aware of that. Y’all point it out rather often.

And when I seem him in Disney World, he never expects a tip when I take a picture with him.

Very true. I’ve herd a few bad stories about folks working that suit for profit. I can’t say what was going on here, but I hope it was something positive.

Remember all that stuff I said earlier about how great it is that you're playing tour guide to us since it will be quite a while before we'll have a chance to get there and experience it for ourselves?

Ditto. :thumbsup2

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Writing this stuff is kind’a like therapy for me. It keeps my mind off the things that trouble it. I’d be doing it any way, but I’m glade that there are at least one or two folks that care to read along.

Unless somebody else does it. Isn't that how things work these days?:confused3

My point exactly.

I'm sorry your homeless, but it's for the arts! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

As opposed to: I'm sorry your homeless, but it's for my own personal gain.
Neither are good… the second one is far more common.

This update has taught me something very important. As long as you have the internet, you don't really have to go anywhere to see these things!

You can go with that one it you like.
It will save you a good bit of money on travel expenses.

Hmm... I just got a sudden craving for smores. :confused3

Just leave out the burnt dog hair.

It is also where Kevin stayed in Home Alone 2. You know, in case you're looking for another movie reference.

I’ll take any reference you care to toss out there. Other wise everyone will just have to read my writings and no good will come of that.

I can't disagree with the elaborate description you wrote, but this would have sufficed.:rolleyes1 :lmao:

Yes it would... but you’d have far less material to savage were I to follow such austere guidelines.

And don’t you just love tearing into me verbally?

So, what you're saying is the driver didn't curb it? :confused3

:thumbsup2

I'm surprised you didn't already do that research and put it in your update.

I thought I’d leave that one to your imagination.
(I can’t do all the work)

Mickey Mouse and M&M World... If DS had to describe Heaven, that would probably be it.

They aim to please

Ok... Disneyfication... Duffy Square... you're starting to worry me.

Talk to the folks in Times Square… I’m just reporting what I saw.

Thank God! I'm glad it isn't that stupid, commercialized, wannabe Pooh bear.

Here I must agree with you. I have no use what so ever for that manufactured bit of nothingness.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

“The Maniacal Mouse”

That moniker is well deserved, but I’ll forgive them their excesses.
What they do well… they do very well.
What they do poorly, is generally easy to ignore.

(Day 3 - Wednesday)

Part 3: Getting Our Fill…

T3D3-301.jpg

Guess what? I’m not going to assault you with one of my pointless lead-ins (this time anyway). Since I plan to include plenty of unnecessary detail about things that you likely don’t really care about anyway… why not just get it over with. Besides, there is plenty of TR left to really abuse y’all with way too much useless clap-trap in the future. For now, I think we’ll just get back on the bus and begin making up stories about the rest of the ride down to the pier.

OK driver… take a left at the next light if you will sir.

Landmarks

Once we’d rolled through Times Square, our guide had us turn onto 42nd street. This road, immortalized on stage and in song, is one of the major cross-town streets. It is most known for the theaters and merchandising that resides here but it also marks the boundary between Midtown and the Garment District (in the center part of the island at least). This area is generally considered to cover the area from Fifth Avenue to Ninth Avenue, and from 42nd down to 34th Street. While being less than one square mile in area, this is where you’ll find the majority of New York’s fashion showrooms, major labels, design and production houses and wholesale sellers (both of raw materials and finished goods). Working for a textile manufacturer, I know this first hand and have this spot in town to thank for my previous two visits to NYC (It’s also where you’ll find Macy’s and where we’d be watching the parade tomorrow, but I’ll get to that later on).

As we rolled east along this “boundary road”, the first site encountered was this one…

T3D3-302.jpg

Bryant Park

That spot was originally used by the city as a Potter's Field until 1840, when thousands of bodies were removed. It has been a public space ever since. Like most public spaces in the city it’s had it’s ups and downs, from graveyard to picnic park to "no-go zone" (it was even called “Needle Park” during the 1970s due to the brisk trade in heroin). But like much of Manhattan, this is also a redemption story. A private corporation was formed using charitable funding in the 1980s and immediately set about reclaiming the space. It was even closed for a complete renovation at one point and since the 90s has been considered a triumph of urban renewal. As it turns out, I’d be getting a chance to take a closer look at this fine space. But it would be at arms length as there would be a rather large barrier that would prevent me from actually getting inside for a better look around.

Next stop, the main branch of the New York Public Library…

T3D3-303.jpg

Technically, this is actually still Bryan Park. It stands facing Fifth Ave between 42nd and 40th and the back of the building effectible creates the parks eastern barrier. This library is second only to the Library of Congress as a repository of volumes and artifacts. It was created at the turn of the twentieth century using philanthropic funds and by combining two existing libraries. The simplest way to describe the interior is that it is a massive reading room sitting atop seven floors of book stacks.

800px-NYC_Public_Library_Research_Room_Jan_2006.jpg

(from Wikimedia Commons)

There were over seventy-five miles of shelving in place when it first opened and the storage capabilities have since been expanded and extended underground and beneath Bryant Park. But all of that is stuff you can’t see through the window of a bus.

This, however, you can see…

T3D3-305.jpg

That… is “Patience”; one of the famed marble lion sculptures that guard the library. The one at the north end of the plaza here in known as “Fortitude”. I could tell you why, but being rather cruel I think I’ll save that bit for now and tuck it into something else that caught my attention in a future post (like it of not).

Continuing south we hit the boundary between the Garment District and the neighborhoods of Chelsea (to the west) and Gramercy (to the east). The linchpin that demarks these subjective boarders begins at about 34th street at a spot the USPS refers to as 350 Fifth Avenue. If you travel to that location you’ll encountered one of the most famous sites in the city (or the world for that mater); The Empire State Building…

T3D3-306.jpg

Well… that’s what it looks like as viewed through a bus window. Actually, if you look at that a bit more closely, you’ll note that the top is obscured by clouds. Yes, it’s rather tall (and with much sorrow, it’s once again the tallest thing in the city for now), but the problem is that the clouds were just that low. The rain that had plagued us all week was about to return once again.

Hummmm… I think I got off the subject there…
where was Iiiiii (yes Andy, I know… on a bus). Oh! I remember…

Like anything that massive, you have to back away from this giant to see it clearly. Being as we were driving right by the thing though, we really could only see it in pieces (as defined by the size of the windows).

T3D3-307.jpg

OK… here’s a mini Bonus Feature
(because this story tickled me when I head it)

The history surrounding the plot of land beneath the Empire State Building is as interesting as any in the folklore of the island. Like most everything on the numbered streets of Manhattan, this was once a farm. Later the area became known for the fine houses of the well-to-do including two members of the Astor family whose mansions sat side by side on this block. When a dispute arose between William Astor and his powerful socialite aunt, Caroline Astor, William tore down his late father’s home and erected the thirteen-story “Waldorf Hotel”. It purposely overshadowed everything in the neighborhood and most certainly his aunt’s home right next door.

The insult was effective as “Lady Astor” had no intention of living next to something as lowbrow as a hotel. At first she considered tearing her home down and replacing it with a stable (as an insult to the “grand” building beside it). Ultimately though she moved farther uptown and had her son, John Jacob Astor IV, erect the rival “Astoria Hotel” on the spot instead (making sure it was four floors higher).

Now, the fellow who built the Astoria for them was previously involved in building the Waldorf as well and shrewdly constructed the new building it in such a way as to be able to merge the two together later on. Once the feud calmed down, this is exactly what was done thus creating the now famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. That noted hotel and residence to the ultra wealthy still exists but it moved to a new building on Park Avenue in 1928, which cleared the way for construction of this block’s current occupant.

You want to know what that feud was about?

It seems that William (being the oldest living Astor at the time) felt that his wife should be allowed to use the title “Lady Astor”. His aunt however (who basically invented the New York social hierarchy of class, status and exclusion in the first place), begged to differ. Thus is can be said that the Waldorf-Astoria was the result of stunningly insufferable vanity.

Lower Manhattan

This next section will actually be relatively short (compared to my normal musings that is). Short in length, short on pictures, short on details (y’all can go on ahead and cheer it ya’ like… I’ll wait a minute)

:rolleyes1

Now, as I was saying a bit ago, the weather was about to conspire again to put a bit of a crimp in the day. In the mean time, Bus-4 continued on its course down Fifth Avenue and into the Flatiron District, which derives its name from the well know “Flatiron” building (imagine that). That structure was one of the earliest skyscrapers in town and is known for its distinctive and very narrow front façade (which makes it appear a little like an iron from above), but this site ended up being on the other side of the bus, so I’ve got no images of it worth sharing. But (and speaking of “worth”), I did get a better look at this odd monument…

T3D3-308.jpg

That is “General Worth Square” and it’s at the very north end (and considered part of) Madison Square. Originally this was the tomb of one: General William Jenkins Worth (the same fellow that Fort Worth, Texas is named for). Actually it still is his grave, and aside from Grant’s Tomb, it the only other city monument that is also a mausoleum.

When we got down to 8th Street, it was time to shift a bit east off of Fifth Ave, and picked up Broadway again to continue on south (this is also about the point that the rain started back up). A lot of the buildings here are now part of New York University, which doesn’t have a campus per say, but moves into anything that becomes vacant in the area whenever they need to expand.

Here’s the next “sight” I ran across…

T3D3-309.jpg

Although it’s not really all that famous, the Cable Building is the bearer of a number of odd distinctions. While it is currently fairly well known retail and office space recognized for its architecture, it was originally built as a power plant that generated the energy needed to run the cable cars system that once existed in this area (hence the name). The more interesting thing is that the building looked the same then as it does now. It blended into the neighborhood with the rest of the offices and residences while on the inside it was more of a factory in structure and feel. An additional thing that this spot does is to mark another neighborhood transition point. This is the corner or Broadway and Houston (which in NYC is pronounced “how’- ston”) and serves as the north boarder of “Soho”. The area of town that is:
“South Of HOuston”.

One other thing I can say about the previous picture is that it’s really the last thing I got a clear picture of for a while. The rain pretty much reduced the next series of shots down to something like this…

T3D3-310.jpg

Not much to look at. The remainder of the tour took us across Canal St (which serves as the heart of China Town), and then west back across the island on Chambers St. through the part of town known as Tribeca; another neighborhood acronym meaning:
"TRIangle BElow CAnal street".

It was about here that the rain let up just enough to at least take a picture…

T3D3-311.jpg

It’s an interesting pedestrian bridge but not that amazing a photo or landmark. I’m just pleased that it turned out at all, so you’re stuck with it now. From here the bus took a left and headed down West St and into the Financial District. This major right-of-way runs by the World Trade Center, but again I was on the wrong side of the bus (and we’ll be back here later on anyway). The route then traversed the very southern tip of the island, passed Battery Park, and headed toward the East River waterfront. Over here at the end a short street called “Old Slip” is this
unusually narrow building…

T3D3-312.jpg

This is the current home of the NY Police Department Museum and it was originally the location of the offices of the NYPD First Percent. There is also an extensive exhibit related to the September 11, 2001 tragedy on the third floor.

The next turn of the wheel took us onto South Street where we enjoyed this fog obscured, rain drenched perspective on the harbor and Brooklyn across the river on Long Island.

T3D3-313.jpg

Next stop… end of the line at the South Street Sea Port.
It’s time for a little lunch, and a little bit of exploring.

Oh yah…

There will be pictures of ships too.

T3D3-314.jpg

Now you’ve been fairly warned me ‘arties, so if you know what be good for ya’…
You’d be best to consider just passing by that chapter all together now.

T3-012.jpg

Guess what? I’m not going to assault you with one of my pointless lead-ins
Oh really? Well, maybe I'll just skip this update then.

Since I plan to include plenty of unnecessary detail about things that you likely don’t really care about anyway… why not just get it over with.
Ok, you've lured me back.

While being less than one square mile in area, this is where you’ll find the majority of New York’s fashion showrooms, major labels, design and production houses
Note to self: avoid the "Garment District" while in NY. The the theme seems to be at odds with my Mickey Mouse t-shirt and $20 jean style.

That spot was originally used by the city as a Potter's Field until 1840, when thousands of bodies were removed. It has been a public space ever since. Like most public spaces in the city it’s had it’s ups and downs, from graveyard to picnic park to "no-go zone" (it was even called “Needle Park” during the 1970s due to the brisk trade in heroin). But like much of Manhattan, this is also a redemption story. A private corporation was formed using charitable funding in the 1980s and immediately set about reclaiming the space. It was even closed for a complete renovation at one point and since the 90s has been considered a triumph of urban renewal. As it turns out, I’d be getting a chance to take a closer look at this fine space.
Why? You trying to score some heroin?:eek:

That… is “Patience”; one of the famed marble lion sculptures that guard the library. The one at the north end of the plaza here in known as “Fortitude”. I could tell you why, but being rather cruel I think I’ll save that bit for now and tuck it into something else that caught my attention in a future post (like it of not).
Soooo...you're making us wait to see how Patience got his name. You're a shrewd one, Rob. Very shrewd indeed.

Continuing south we hit the boundary between the Garment District and the neighborhoods of Chelsea (to the west) and Gramercy (to the east).
It's weird - I've heard of most of these places before, but mostly from Law and Order reruns. You narrative tour - and the map you put up a few updates ago - are quite educational. The biggest city I've really had much experience with - Milwaukee - has basically "Downtown", "North Side", "South Side" and "West Side". Realized just how many people and how much stuff - and history - is packed into that small of an island is mind boggling.

It seems that William (being the oldest living Astor at the time) felt that his wife should be allowed to use the title “Lady Astor”. His aunt however (who basically invented the New York social hierarchy of class, status and exclusion in the first place), begged to differ. Thus is can be said that the Waldorf-Astoria was the result of stunningly insufferable vanity.
:sad2::sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter