A Solo Trip 28 Years in the Making-Oct 16-17th, 2012

Wednesday, October 17th

Day 2 started unexpectedly early for me when my eyes opened a little after 3am. Darn jetlag! My body was thinking it’s 6am and time to get the kids up and ready for school! I tried in vein for another 30 minutes tossing and turning trying to fall back asleep. I spent another 30 minutes surfing the DISboards and finally was able to fall back asleep from 4-6am. I showered and got dressed. The water temperature for the shower at this motel was as advertised. It went from hot to cold to hot in a matter of seconds and I suspect it had something to do with how many other people were using the water as well. On my way out of the hotel, I stopped by the front desk to make a request to have an iron and aboard delivered to my room. The older gentleman manning the front desk said he would leave a note for housekeeping, but I was not very confident that he would follow through based on his demeanor and how he immediately got distracted by another guest while I was giving him my room number.

I started walking up Harbor Blvd around 6:50am. The street was pretty much deserted except for a handful of joggers. I walked north past the park entrances. My breakfast plans were to eat at Mimi's Café which is located right by the Howard Johnsons. I had an amusing flashback as I stared at the HoJo building. I suddenly remembered that this is where we stayed with my family 28 years ago when I was last here. All these years I couldn't remember the name of the hotel, but just seeing it brought it back. I walked into Mimi's as they were just opening the restaurant and became their first customer for the day. Ordered an egg benedict, coffee, and a LARGE orange juice.

2CFA963A-9121-409C-9496-692E2F57F888-4528-0000023732D0E3CB.jpg

I've never seen oj served in these types of glasses which gave me a chuckle. A few days later in San Diego, I was served oj in the exact same glass at Broken Yolk which begs the question – is this a southern California thing? The egg benedict was good. I browsed on my ipad while eating, checking the weather, my facebook page, etc. By the time I left, a few families were being seated. I walked backed south on Harbor towards the park entrances following a couple of families with earhats on as I crossed the street.

ECB9DB40-F7B4-4438-8585-71823ED15B27-4528-000002376C334B39.jpg

When I entered the plaza for the park entrances, it was just about 8am. On my left there were relatively long lines already forming for what I assumed was early entry for DCA.

IMG_3092.jpg

On my right, there was also a line forming for DL but not as long.

IMG_3093.jpg

At first, I mistakenly assumed that these were also for early entries as well so I stayed back not getting in a line while I took pictures. Shortly later, I realized that there shouldn’t be early entries for Wednesday so I got in one of the lines and was about 15 people behind from the turnstiles. It's funny how when you’re standing in line at Disney, time flies. I was just enjoying the warm sunshine while doing some people watching.

Disney Pumpkins!

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

Loved how they did her ribbon!
IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

A little after 8:30am, they opened the gates and a stream of people walked through. I followed the other visitors, passing in front of the train station. I did miss seeing a rope drop show like the one at MK.

IMG_3099.jpg

Main Street was covered and lined with its fall and Halloween decorations. A giant Mickey pumpkin stood in front of the flagpole.

IMG_3101.jpg

Seeing Sleeping Beauty's Castle in the distance was just as magical as seeing Cinderella's Castle down Main Street.

IMG_3103.jpg

I crossed over to the entrance of Tomorrowland where a rope held the crowd back. I made my way to the front and side of the rope. It was a little weird to see the Astro Orbitor so front and center by the entrance of Tomorrowland. At 9am, the rope dropped and there was a mad dash in. Nobody was outright running but there was definitely a push by the crowd with everyone walking fast. The mother of three kids who was pushing a stroller standing next to me right before the rope dropped, clipped her daughter’s heels as she rushed in. I made my way to the FP machines for Star Tours. Several people were already there rapidly inserting each park pass through the machines, then running off to Space Mountain which is where I was headed after I got my own FP for Star Tours. Even though I didn’t know exactly where SM was located, all I had to do was follow the crowd!

9C5A73F1-6AD4-404C-843E-A61919747F19-4528-000002378CFBC910.jpg

I entered the queue which snaked around a bit before exiting to an outdoor portion of the queue where the roof of SM was seen.

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

It really wasn’t that bad of a wait, probably only 10 minutes when I was seated. The guy seated next to me did not seem too amused about the ride or having to sit next to a stranger while his two female friends took the front seat. The ride was definitely much smoother than the one at MK. I had a blast riding it. They added some Halloween theming with projections of what can be best described as space ghosts. I don’t know how I feel about this theming – felt it was a little too hokey. But the coaster ride itself was great.

I walked over to Finding Nemo Submarine after exiting SM. I was excited about this since the last time I rode this was when it was called 20,000 leagues under the sea. I had no idea what this new theming was going to be like since I avoided looking up any pictures or videos.

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

Say it with me now - Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!

IMG_3151.jpg

We were directed into the submarine where each of us sat in one of the fold out seats and each passenger has his or her own window.

Just a little crammed with an awkward view of the Captain's rear.

IMG_3117.jpg

At first, the ride started out just as how I remembered it from my childhood. There were reefs and giant clams to look at as the submarine moved forward.

IMG_3115.jpg

Pick a Pearl!

IMG_3118.jpg

But shortly into the ride, we entered a cave and the ride turned into one very similar to the one at The Seas Pavillion at Epcot where digital projections of characters from Nemo were superimposed onto the water scenery.

IMG_3125.jpg

Mt. Wannahockaloogie!
IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

I think it was longer than the one at Epcot and was fun to watch. A 4 year old boy was sitting next to me with his father and he was loving the ride. As the ride ended, he was busy recounting the highlights to his dad. Very cute.

Next Up: In a Galaxy Far Far Away......

Wow, if that's a large OJ I'd hate to see a small one! Does it come in a thimble? Or maybe a medicine cup? :rotfl:

Those pumpkins at the gates look amazing! And the big Mickey pumpkin on Main Street. I really loved seeing the Halloween decorations on our WDW trip, but DL looks like they do a much better decorating job. Those are pretty incredible!

Rope drop in DL is just not as good without the opening show. There is just something about that train coming down the tracks full of characters singing & waving that gets your blood pumping & excited for a day in the Magic Kingdom!

The Space Mountain queue is kind of cool in how it takes you up on the "roof" except it can get pretty hot up there with the sun beating down on you, so it loses it's appeal pretty quickly. :lmao: They really seem to go all out for Halloween overlays there if they did something on Space Mountain! I didn't realize they did that. Although it sounds like it wasn't really successful, but I guess it's cool that they do more for Halloween than I realized.

I thought the Nemo subs were okay, but too long. And too like the Seas in WDW. I was glad we did it, but also glad we didn't wait a long time for it or I would have been really disappointed.

khertz said:
Wow, if that's a large OJ I'd hate to see a small one! Does it come in a thimble? Or maybe a medicine cup? :rotfl:

Those pumpkins at the gates look amazing! And the big Mickey pumpkin on Main Street. I really loved seeing the Halloween decorations on our WDW trip, but DL looks like they do a much better decorating job. Those are pretty incredible!

Rope drop in DL is just not as good without the opening show. There is just something about that train coming down the tracks full of characters singing & waving that gets your blood pumping & excited for a day in the Magic Kingdom!

The Space Mountain queue is kind of cool in how it takes you up on the "roof" except it can get pretty hot up there with the sun beating down on you, so it loses it's appeal pretty quickly. :lmao: They really seem to go all out for Halloween overlays there if they did something on Space Mountain! I didn't realize they did that. Although it sounds like it wasn't really successful, but I guess it's cool that they do more for Halloween than I realized.

I thought the Nemo subs were okay, but too long. And too like the Seas in WDW. I was glad we did it, but also glad we didn't wait a long time for it or I would have been really disappointed.

Sorry, forgot to post the pic of the oj. The cup on the first pic was my coffee. Here it is
94B997DC-D969-4E73-BD06-40BC7B1CA236-9675-0000049DFD3AFD72.jpg

:lmao: That makes a lot more sense!!! :rotfl2:

That must have been confusing, me forgetting to post the OJ pic :rotfl:
Anyway, I'm sure me drinking with that glass looked even more funnier than the glass itself. :goodvibes

I completely agree with you about the opening show at MK RD. Love, love, love it. Such a great way to enter MK.

The SM Halloween overlay was just off. So, when I described it as space ghosts, I should have said they really look more like space zombies. They are projected animated images where they roar at you or try to take swipes at you. It just didn't mesh well with the ride.

I think for me, Finding Nemo was more about nostalgia. I remember being mesmerized riding the same submarines when I was a child back when it was called 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I used to believe that we were in a REAL submarine and that we actually submerged under the water during the ride, and thought that was the coolest ride ever! I also remember feeling betrayed at an older age when I figured out how the ride worked. :rotfl:

Wednesday October 17th

When I exited Nemo, it was time to use my fastpass for Star Tours.

IMG_3149.jpg

The wait was very short on the FP lanes. Walked by C3PO and R2D2 very fast. Slightly slowed down in the customs area with the security robot monitoring his heat sensing screen.

IMG_3146.jpg

Door number two is where I was assigned. For this ride, our sequences were being stopped by a droid, pod racing, admiral Ackbar, and Bobba Fett and Death Star. The thrill element of the ride starts to fade the more times I go on it. But I still love being immersed in the world of Star Wars. After I exited the ride, I spent some time looking at the merchandises in the gift shop.

One of my favorites in the gift shop
IMG_3148.jpg

Next up was the Matterhorn.

IMG_3152.jpg

The last time I was here as a child, I remember going on this one over and over and over again with my younger brother. So, I had high hopes. I wasn’t sure where the single rider line for this one was so I started along the single chain-roped queue that wrapped around the base of the mountain. The end of the line stopped about midway. As the line slowly moved forward, I started a conversation with another single rider standing behind me. He was visiting with his family of wife and three kids from Salt Lake City. The rest of his family were at Toontown, and he was trying to squeeze in a ride. Turns out that this was his very first visit to DL and he was enjoying it as much as his children. We traded notes on our ride experiences so far. Before we knew it, we reached the point where the single riders are split off to the side of the line. I really enjoy meeting people at Disney. Most are friendly and have interesting stories to tell. As I was assigned to a train, I wished him a safe trip back home.

Once the ride started, I quickly became aware of some problems. My body was sliding up and down the seat with the dips, and being slammed into the walls sideways on the turns. The only thing I really remember well was the snow monster in its full functioning glory unlike his frozen Yeti cousin at AK. After that, I was too distracted with the task of trying in vain to hold on tight to the handle bars, bracing my body with my legs. It was a very rough ride and I felt a bit whiplashed by the end. I was happy to see the exit.

At least I thought the Matterhorn Mountain looked great.

IMG_3157.jpg

Then I crossed the central hub again in front of the castle to head towards BTMRR where I grabbed a FP.

IMG_3160.jpg

Dapper Dans hitching a ride!
IMG_3161.jpg

I had about 45 minutes to kill before my window opened up. So next I headed over the Haunted Mansion. It had a different building exterior than the one at MK. But, it was decorated with the theme of the Nightmare before Christmas on the outside.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

I thought it was very well done including what I call the “pumpkin graveyard”.

IMG_3170.jpg

The inside queue as well as the ride itself was completely transformed as well. The stretching room was a real elevator.

One of the pictures in the stretching room
IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

As we moved down, that’s when I realized that I forgot to change my lens on my camera that would have been more suitable for the dark photography. These pictures are actually from my second go around on the HM ride. One of the best parts of this ride was the dining hall where the centerpiece on the table was a tall gingerbread house – and the whole area smelled like gingerbread too!

Loading Zone
14D5AC94-6C3A-4D5D-ADD0-F577DA7F16BB-13117-0000061E151EFE51.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

Gingerbread House!
IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

Dancing Ghosts in front of a "Christmas Tree" decorated with pumpkins
IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

Have to be honest, I have yet to have seen the movie Nightmare Before Christmas. But still, I really enjoyed the theming and was surprised how they were able to transform the attraction into something completely different!

Next Up: A Pirate's Life

I have never seen Nightmare Before Christmas either, but I have to say, that overlay looks AWESOME!!!

Matterhorn...just got more jerky and uncomfortable the more we rode it. :crazy2: And I too thought it was pretty cool that the stretching room is a real elevator in DL rather than the ceiling rising in WDW.

I have never seen Nightmare Before Christmas either, but I have to say, that overlay looks AWESOME!!!

Matterhorn...just got more jerky and uncomfortable the more we rode it. :crazy2: And I too thought it was pretty cool that the stretching room is a real elevator in DL rather than the ceiling rising in WDW.

The HM overlay turned it into a completely different ride. And there's a lot more scenes that I wasn't able to get good pictures of. HM is a nightmare when it comes to photography, pun intended. ;)

DD6 who had been in the past afraid to go on HM, saw these pictures and started wondering out loud whether HM was still really scary. So, I showed her a youtube video of the HM at MK, and she has now decided that she wants to try it! :cool1: Finally!

Wow, those Halloween decorations are amazing! I love HM anyway, but with the Halloween theming, I would have been over the moon! The ballroom scene looks absolutely incredible. Love, love, love it!!!! :goodvibes

Wow, those Halloween decorations are amazing! I love HM anyway, but with the Halloween theming, I would have been over the moon! The ballroom scene looks absolutely incredible. Love, love, love it!!!! :goodvibes

The ballroom was my favorite - especially because of the gingerbread scents which smelled soooo good. :thumbsup2

Well, I am really glad that you went on HM again and got some pictures! :goodvibes. The pictures you got on the ride are just amazing - I love the one you managed to take of the gingerbread house, and the ghosts dancing around the Christmas tree - just brilliant! Took me right back to being there. You should really see the movie, it's a great story, although I bet you've actually got a pretty good idea of the story from your rides on HM!

Really enjoying your updates!

Well, I am really glad that you went on HM again and got some pictures! :goodvibes. The pictures you got on the ride are just amazing - I love the one you managed to take of the gingerbread house, and the ghosts dancing around the Christmas tree - just brilliant! Took me right back to being there. You should really see the movie, it's a great story, although I bet you've actually got a pretty good idea of the story from your rides on HM!

Really enjoying your updates!

Thanks you! Been enjoying your TR as well! I've also been looking at your pictures at DCA to see if I can spot myself in the background since we overlapped that day :goodvibes

Was that the day that we crossed over? I was looking in your photos of rope drop at Disneyland to see if I could spot us in the background :rotfl: oops! When we went to Cars Land we were there from opening to around 11.30 and then went back for the Neon lighting which was around 5.30 pm I think. I will post some photos of our evening visit soon - would be so funny if you were in the background!

Can I just say how much I love your chapter titles?? So great!

I just love the Halloween HM theme. I have seen that movie and I love all Burton's stories. Looks like the did a great job. They don't do this at Magic Kingdom, do they?

I would love to get out to CA and see DL. But I gotta be honest....I think it is really weird that they cram all that into one park. It just seems wrong to see Matterhorn, Space and Star Tours in the same park. I know it works and would probably be much easier to plan a vacation out, but I like the way WDW has the 4 different parks and keeps them well separated. I know its all in what you're used to. Maybe someday I will get out there. :confused3

Was that the day that we crossed over? I was looking in your photos of rope drop at Disneyland to see if I could spot us in the background :rotfl: oops! When we went to Cars Land we were there from opening to around 11.30 and then went back for the Neon lighting which was around 5.30 pm I think. I will post some photos of our evening visit soon - would be so funny if you were in the background!

If you were at DCA on the Tuesday, then yes, we would have been in the same park. Although I didn't set foot in DCA until 4pm. The neon lighting was one of my favorite!

Can I just say how much I love your chapter titles?? So great!

I just love the Halloween HM theme. I have seen that movie and I love all Burton's stories. Looks like the did a great job. They don't do this at Magic Kingdom, do they?

I would love to get out to CA and see DL. But I gotta be honest....I think it is really weird that they cram all that into one park. It just seems wrong to see Matterhorn, Space and Star Tours in the same park. I know it works and would probably be much easier to plan a vacation out, but I like the way WDW has the 4 different parks and keeps them well separated. I know its all in what you're used to. Maybe someday I will get out there. :confused3

Compact and cozy is how I would describe DLR in general. I think it works both ways, but I'm with you in prefering the layout at WDW.
Wish MK did similar holiday overlays for the HM.

Wednesday October 17th 2012

After exiting HM, I strolled along the river around and headed in to Pirates. It was a short wait of 5 minutes before I was seated by myself in the last row of a boat. I had the right lens on this time and was ready to go. The boat first cruised past in front of Blue Bayou.

IMG_3177.jpg

I would have loved to have gotten a waterside seat at this restaurant but there just wasn’t enough time for this trip. It's on my to-do list for the next visit. Once we entered into pirate territory, a lot of familiar scenes made its way past us.

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

The biggest difference for me when comparing to MK's Pirates, is how much closer the action felt. Every display, pirate, and ship seemed to be placed very near to our boat’s path. I'm not sure if this is really true, but that's how it was perceived. And because of that, I really enjoyed it. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how I feel about the presence of Jack Sparrow. There are a couple of locations where he was inserted but they felt a bit out of place. Maybe I'm just being a traditionalist. And I understand why Disney inserted him since PotC is now synonymous with Sparrow for a whole new generation now thanks to the movies.

Once I made it out of PotC, it was time to go to Big Thunder to use my FP.

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

Skipped right along the queue and didn’t have much a wait at all. Sat next to a father whose two daughters (probably ages 8-10) were seated in front of us. He told me that this was the younger daughter’s first time on the BTMRR. They seemed to be having a blast with all of the squealing and screaming coming up front. This is really a gentle coaster with more rolling hills than big drops and speedy turns. My DD wasn't able to try this on our last trip to WDW because of refurbishments, but I am pretty sure she will enjoy this when we head back in January.

I was ahead of schedule after BTMRR. Partly because I decided not to go on Autopia earlier in the morning when I was touring Tomorrowland. It was a little past noon and I decided to go back to HM for another ride and this time I made sure I had the right lens on my camera to take pictures. Speaking of my camera, the dark rides were very difficult to take pictures of as a newbie since I had to manually focus. And I still need a lot of practice doing that. Anyhow, you've already seen the pictures on my previous report for HM. Also, I don’t know why I fell for it the second time again, but I found myself on the longer left side of the queue when the line splits into two. On both occasions, the right side of the line was much shorter. I think I was too busy taking pictures that I just ended up following the crowd in front of me. It wasn't that big of a deal – maybe shave off a couple of minutes since both queues regroup again at the foyer entry of the mansion. HM has one of those queues where you can really differentiate between the commandos and the more leisurely-paced tourist since there are ample opportunities for someone to either move ahead of you or cut in front of you thanks to the lay out of the stretching room and the subsequent bottleneck that occurs once exiting it. I may be all hustle and go between attractions, but I'm usually much more relaxed when standing in line. There were several overly eager and anxious families who were trying to get ahead of everyone and one that started complaining when the line stopped moving at the large hallway outside of the stretching room because they were pretty sure people stopped walking to look at the pictures on the wall when the most likely explanation was that the ride had come to a stop. In any case, the second time around was just as good as the first time around.

After the second HM, I was starving. It was time to get some lunch so I headed over to the Little Red Wagon to get a corndog meal, and sat myself at a table near the Refreshment Corner with a good view of the piano. I was hoping to catch the Mad Hatter's version of musical chairs. I probably should have stopped at City Hall to ask whether this was happening this day, and at what time when I first entered the park because the Hatter never made his appearance. I did enjoy the corndog! And had time for the first time after entering the park to lean back and relax. At one of the tables next to me, there was a family with six boys and an infant girl! I had nothing but admiration for them for touring any Disney park with that many children. The pianist started playing at 1pm and I waited until 1:15pm until giving up on Hatter. A little boy probably about 18 months old placed himself right next to the piano and was dancing. Thought that was extremely cute so watched that for a little bit before heading out. The entire ambiance was very pleasant thanks to the live piano music. It was a nook tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the park. It was getting pretty warm by this time.

IMG_3464.jpg

Next Up: It's a Small World!

Wednesday, October 17th

I walked over to Star Tours again to pull another FP.

View while walking over to Tomorrowland
IMG_3465.jpg

Entrance to Tomorrowland
IMG_3467.jpg

Then I headed over to Toontown to pull a FP for Roger Rabbit. (They’re disconnected so was able to pull both FPs within matter of minutes). I then got in line for It’s a Small World mainly because I felt the need to get a song stuck in my head for the rest of the day! As I was entering the queue for the ride, I saw Merida’s meet and greet location that still had her brother bears.

IMG_3475.jpg

Let me tell you about the queue for Small World. Unlike the one at MK, this is ALL outdoors including the loading area. The sun was really hot by now, and there are not many shades. It felt just as hot as the one for MK’s Tomorrowland’s Speedway minus the fumes!

IMG_3476.jpg

A family of three was standing beside me with a boy who was two and half years old. He was just too mesmerized by all of the boats passing by. I asked the mother how old he was, and told her I had a nearly 3 year old boy myself. She jokingly asked “So you were smart, and left him at home?” I told her we did this trip with both kids back in April. Finally we were seated in the boat and we were on our way. As we entered the tunnel leading us finally indoors, the rush of cool air conditioned breeze felt reeeealy good. Located a few Disney related dolls in the mix, like Alice and the White Rabbit, Woody, Bullseye, and Jessie, Aladdin and Jasmine. Also found a more (relatively) elaborate one for Korea where my parents are from. It was a pleasant boat ride.

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

I went back to Toontown since it was about time for Roger Rabbit using my FP. Except, it appeared to be down. The CM told me to try back in about 30 minutes. So I took the time to walk around to tour Toontown. This version is far better than the MK version that no longer exists. It really felt like an entire town complete with a city hall, post office, various stores and eateries. Of course, it had Mickey and Minnie’s House. But there were also homes for Goofy and Chip and Dale! Donald’s Boat was there too. I really liked how it all came together. It felt like I was inside a cartoon! I think my kids would have really loved this version. There were plenty of playground spaces as well. Hope DL doesn’t do away with this gem. It’s definitely a keeper for families with younger children.

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

Mickey's House
IMG_3549.jpg

Minnie's House
IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

Goofy's House
IMG_3551.jpg

Chip and Dale's House
IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

Next Up: Taking a Spin with Roger

Oh my gosh, Chip n Dale's house is so darn cute! I really miss the Toontown section of WDW too. I remember it from when I was a kid and really wish I could've shown it to my son. Oh well....the new FL will be just as cool next year!

Great photos of POTC and Toontown!!!! Oh my goodness, how adorable is Toontown?? I really hope they don't do away with it either, especially before Emma and I get there to see it. It looks so sweet!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter