A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP (COMPLETE!)

I don't blame you for normally choosing rides over the fireworks - the short lines are very tempting!! :thumbsup2

Love your pictures of the little statues! Agreed, some of the best Disney moments aren't a part of park touring plans!

Great idea, the Treehouse at night! :thumbsup2

We loved our time with the statues! No one else seemed to be paying attention to them and they seemed a bit lonely. :hug:

The treehouse at night was great! I think we plan to do the same thing next time!

I am just now realizing that is was last year .. :)

I am shocked you had never seen Wishes, I love Wishes and dont tell anyone, but sometimes I cry.. :)

Yes, I wasn't really on the ball with starting this report at a reasonable time... :rotfl:

I won't tell a soul! Don't feel too bad - not only did I cry during the actual show, I even tear up when watching the video!

I have read everything and what a great trip for sisters! Can't wait to hear more!

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

We had an EXCELLENT time - it was the perfect destination for us!

Yay for MM&Y AND Wishes! Honestly, I shed a tear when near the end of MM&Y Walt delivers his "welcome.." speech. And I agree that the photos go wayyy too quickly.

Wow! that's amazing how much walking you do at WDW. I bought a pedometer our first girl trip and promptly lost it by day 4. I think I recall logging nearly 11 miles one day at Epcot so yeah, that's crazy! :eek:

I keep meaning to try a Dole Whip float - it's still on my one day list. Maybe next time.

Sounds like an awesome day at MK. :thumbsup2

It was a fabulous day! I was disappointed that I didn't love the Dole Whip Float, but I'm sure there's a few "must have" snacks that I loved that other's are ho-hum about.

I couldn't believe how many miles we covered! I know you do a lot of walking at Disney, but it's incredible when you see how many miles you actually cover! :crazy2:

I am (FINALLY) all caught up! Your night pictures are AMAZING and the food pics just make me want breakfast! :lmao:
I SO love the joy between you and your sister...I hope my girls continue that as they grow up. :goodvibes

I'm glad my food photos have that effect - that means I must've picked the right setting for my camera! :laughing:

My sister is pretty awesome. We have our moments, but we really enjoy spending time with one another and had a GREAT time on this trip! I wish everyone had a sister as great as Anika (but I know I'm a pretty lucky gal). ;)

Breakfast with the Princesses
Day 3 - —Monday, February 6th

Today was a very exciting day—it was our first pre-park opening breakfast! :banana:

I didn't even know such a thing existed before I stumbled upon the DISboards. What an excellent idea - —you can try a bunch of fun places for breakfast, but can eat early enough that it doesn't interfere with your park touring time. A definite win-win!

We arrived at Epcot right at 8:00. The best part about these early breakfasts is the lack of people:

608_zps4aac7e72.jpg

Look at the turnstiles! Not ONE person! :eek:

The lack of people continued with a great shot of the Epcot ball and the Leave a Legacy statues:

609_zps416aa85b.jpg

I don't think they had any Photopass folks out early at Epcot (at least none that I remember and I don't have any pictures from them), so I had Anika pose in front of the Epcot ball. I'm pretty sure she was laughing at me in this picture:

611_zpsc272da95.jpg

I had to take advantage of this complete lack of crowds and take a few scenery shots.

Here's the entrance to Spaceship Earth (I know the line can be short, but when do you ever see ABSOLUTELY NO PEOPLE in the entire area?):

612_zps7ae0ccf9.jpg

Another shot of the ball along with the Fountain of Nations:

615_zpsb1343cbb.jpg

Here's the walkway to World Showcase with the American Pavilion across the lake:

616_zps765cfede.jpg

Here's another bit of evidence of the extreme lack of crowds:

625_zps32e62394.jpg

Not only is there no one on the steps of the Mexico pavilion, but there's not even anyone standing in front of it! When do you ever see that?!

I also had to take a few photos of the countries across the lake. Here's Italy:

619_zps0c545052.jpg

The American Pavilion:

627_zps5e189447.jpg

Plus Japan:

622_zps2755dea6.jpg

Morocco (my photo with the Tower of Terror in the background wouldn't load properly, so I'll try to post it later!):

629_zps90379261.jpg

And finally, France:

624_zpsb59b582f.jpg

After my picture extravaganza, we finally made it to Norway! It's actually a pretty long walk - —Anika and I are pretty speedy walkers, and it took us about ten minutes. If you have an early ADR I recommend getting there with lots of time before your reservation! (It's possible that my picture taking might have slowed us down, but Anika never stopped for my photos after the first one and we still got to Norway at the same time!)

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
(continued from previous post)

Welcome to Norway!

630_zps79cd83be.jpg

The only people allowed into the park were folks with an early breakfast reservation, and as you can see, it was was a pretty small group.

Here was our destination:

633_zpsd47ede60.jpg

This was the character meal that Anika and I were least excited about as we may be a bit old for princesses! princess: However, we were pretty excited about the food line-up (I couldn’t wait to try the lingonberry cream cheese!) and we were both pretty excited about getting into the park early. If we had to dine with princesses in order to do it - —so be it! :laughing:

We checked in for breakfast and were called in just a few minutes later. I took a picture of the book before our shot with Belle:

634_zpsde1157f3.jpg

After our first princess photo we were shown to our table. We were seated in the small room to the left of the main entrance (but right next to the cold buffet!). It was actually a great spot as it was right where the princesses entered the restaurant and started their rounds.

Akershus is a mix of a buffet of cold items and a family style dinner of hot items. We started by going to the cold buffet. It has a great selection of food, from pastries to fruits to meats and cheeses.

Here was my plate (strawberry yogurt with granola, berries, Muenster cheese, salami, and a really tasty bagel with lingonberry cream cheese):

636_zps28febc42.jpg

And Anika’'s plate (an apple pastry, a cinnamon roll, salami, cantaloupe, and grapes):

638_zps565f496e.jpg

We also immediately received our plate of hot food (eggs, cheesy potato casserole, bacon, and sausage):

639_zpscf5e02e4.jpg

We also both got orange juice and I had several cups of very tasty coffee. The food was excellent! Everything on the cold buffet was very fresh - —Anika loved her pastries and fruit, and I LOVED my bagel with lingonberry cream cheese! I also thought the eggs and bacon (which we had at several places) were some of the best of the week. My coffee was also excellent.

About a minute later we were visited by our first princess! Here'’s Aurora (Sleeping Beauty to many of you) with Anika:

641_zps153e7acc.jpg

She was a very nice character, but didn’t stay to chat for very long.

Next, we were visited by Snow White:

642_zpsaa2cc782.jpg

I believe someone at the table next to us took this picture (which may account for the blurriness)? She was lovely and spoke for a minute about the dwarfs.

She was followed by our favorite princess of the meal - —Ariel. Not only was she super-chatty, she noticed that there was no one to take a picture for us, and she immediately marched away to find a free server to take the picture!

643_zpsd81652d2.jpg

She was absolutely a delight! (And she had a great idea for the picture!) :lovestruc

Our final princess of the morning was Mulan. Here is Mulan with Anika:

645_zps07ed5467.jpg

It was too bad that Mulan had to follow Ariel - —I remember that I really liked Mulan, but since I had LOVED Ariel it was hard to measure up!

We had requested our check just after we sat down (which I recommend to anyone that does an early breakfast!) so we were paid up and ready to be on our way. We ate between princess stops so we were all set by the time we finished with Mulan. We started our meal about 8:15 and finished around 8:50, so it was really quick! I'’m sure the fact that we were only two people and that we were right next to the character entrance helped a lot.

I grabbed a shot of the main dining room (the room we didn'’t sit in) on our way out:

647_zpsb28283c1.jpg

Final Thoughts— - Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
I really enjoyed Akershus! I was a little hestitant to go to a “Princess Breakfast”—, but the characters are really nice no matter what age you are! Even though we were essentially two “adults,” they were chatty, posed for pictures, and didn’'t seem one bit surprised or put off that we were there without children. The other diners didn't seem to mind, either. I thought the food was very good— - I adored my bagel and lingonberry cream cheese (why is that not available anywhere else?!) and the eggs, bacon, and coffee were especially good here. I would highly recommend Akershus— - even more highly if you can get a pre-opening slot! Even though the walk is long, it’s quite peaceful and the non-people photos you can get are incredible!

It was time to book it over to Future World to soar over California!

Up Next: Touring Future World in Epcot

Last edited:
I really wanted to try Askerkus this last time we were there but we have boys.. After thinking about it, I didnt see where it would be a big deal bc what little boys don't like girls giving them attention? ;) My son is most familiar with and really likes Cinderella and bummer she isnt there. :( By the time we go again, he will be 5 and my other one will be almost 2.

Epcot was definitely packed that morning... :) Geez... :rotfl:

I really wanted to try Askerkus this last time we were there but we have boys.. After thinking about it, I didnt see where it would be a big deal bc what little boys don't like girls giving them attention? ;) My son is most familiar with and really likes Cinderella and bummer she isnt there. :( By the time we go again, he will be 5 and my other one will be almost 2.

Epcot was definitely packed that morning... :) Geez... :rotfl:

I would definitely give it a shot even though you have boys! The princesses would probably think it was a nice change of pace to see little boys instead of little girls, and your kids might get quite a kick out of visiting the princesses! Plus, the food it great! :thumbsup2

Here's my picture with the "hidden" Tower of Terror in the background (it wouldn't resize properly last night - darn Photobucket!):

623_zps32509cfe.jpg

I didn't even notice it until I got home and was looking through the pictures!

Multiple Soars and Thrills
Day 3— - Part II

We left Norway in the dust and hurried to the Land Pavilion - —we wanted to beat the crowds to Soarin'’! We probably didn’'t need to rush as much as we did as not only did we get some of the first Fastpasses of the day, we were on one of the first few flights!

649_zps8e964e8c.jpg

These walkways are tough to photograph, but they are really fun to walk down!

650_zps7ebf65ef.jpg
652_zps8c0a97c2.jpg

We got seats right in the middle of the second row. Despite all the comments about the dirty screens, spots, etc., I really didn'’t notice anything other than the great view. One of these times I’'m going to be ballsy enough to take photos during the ride…

After we soared, we trekked across Future World to re-ride two favorites:

656_zps9b134af4.jpg
098_zps05bd20b2.jpg

The crowds were incredibly slim as we finished both rides by 10:00. We were excited that our morning was so productive thus far!

Next on the agenda was something we’'d never tried before (and perhaps it wasn’t even here the last time?):

657_zps7d32c87d.jpg

I don’'t think Anika and I had even stepped foot in either of the Innoventions buildings before, but I kept reading such great things about the Sum of All Thrills that I wanted to give it a shot!

After watching a short welcome video, you start here in the Design Lab:

660_zps6d994e6b.jpg

You'’re given a card to insert into the computer station and then you start building your own roller coaster! You can use different types of cars, include dives and loops, and even go upside down during your ride. You make sure your coaster works by “testing” in on the design computer before you go to start your ride. You then save your design to the card and head up the steps to the ride module.

Here are the “arms” where you sit for your ride:

658_zps7d6e76c1.jpg
659_zps3f156dce.jpg

It’s a different experience (as you’'re enclosed in a pod and watching your ride on a screen in front of you), but it was fun to try it out! Anika and I agreed that we were glad we tried it, but we probably wouldn'’t do it every trip.

Our Fastpass time had opened for Soarin’' so we headed back to The Land for our second soar of the day. Soarin’' is not our favorite ride in Epcot (Test Track wins that prize), but it comes very close as it is such a great and relaxing ride. I love the feeling that you'’re flying, and it’s so fun to watch the different scenes (and smell the different smells!) as you float along. :thumbsup2

We decided to head here next:

662_zps406e7df7.jpg

It was time for a journey into the imagination!

663_zpsc7cddbc6.jpg

I agree with most people that I REALLY enjoyed the original Figment experience— - the Dreamfinder was classic. As it is now, I like to ride with Figment once per trip but I feel like that’'s enough. I’'m photo-free as I videotaped the ride (and Anika would only ride it once!).

After saying hello to Figment we headed next door to say hello to Michael Jackson.

666_zpsfa824390.jpg

668_zps68cf44e1.jpg

We learned they'’d recently started a show so the next one was in more than fifteen minutes. We were a little nervous that we’d have enough time for the show and our lunch reservation, so we decided to come back another time. Unfortunately, we never found time to return… - maybe next time!

We were looking forward to an afternoon covering the countries in World Showcase. We’'d certainly been in World Showcase before, but had never taken enough time to fully experience each pavilion. Our first stop was Canada!

The waterfall area really is beautiful:

670_zpsc2ff7126.jpg

For some reason we didn'’t walk through the garden? We'’ll have to remember to do that next time!

We also wandered through the shops and admired the fun Canadian merchandise like hats and maple syrup.

669_zps4a3567ee.jpg
675_zps4786e71f.jpg

I even had Anika pose in front of the totem pole:

677_zpsd8fc201c.jpg

We bypassed the Canadian movie due to time constraints (but don’t worry—we returned later!) and made our way to England.

680_zpsdef49046.jpg
679_zps8710ff9e.jpg

It was really fun looking through the toy store and the tea shop. We didn'’t stop for pictures with Pooh or Alice (I don’t think they were out quite yet). Soon it was noon and time for lunch!

Up Next: Lunch at the Rose & Crown

Last edited:

The Best Waitress of Our Trip
Day 3— - Part III

Lunch time! Here was our lunch plan for the day:

678_zps9e0ac81a.jpg

I had a hard time choosing reservations at Epcot because there are so many good choices! We decided on the Rose and Crown because we’re both fans of British food (fish and chips and the like), plus I thought an outdoor table and the views to go along with it may be nice.

We checked in with the two lovely guys manning the check-in booth (I love British accents!) and we were seated shortly. We got a FANTASTIC table right on the lake! There didn’'t appear to be too many of them so we were pretty excited. Here was our table next to the water:

690_zps5639f6e6.jpg

Plus some addtional views across the lake:

698_zps408c2ab5.jpg
697_zpsfa334c2b.jpg

What a view! :yay: Not only was the view lovely, the weather was also beautiful that day. Who knew we'’d be so lucky when we booked it six months before?

In the midst of our relaxation we met our phenomenal waitress, Katie. I remembered her name without even having to look back at my receipt - —we loved her that much! She was sweet, laid-back, and absolutely the nicest server we had the entire week! She was efficient without being pushy, and she was happy to explain a menu item or recommend a dish to try. I’'ve read a lot of great comments about the service at the Rose and Crown, and I would wholeheartedly agree based on our experience with Katie. She started by explaining the dining plan and took the order for our drinks.

Anika got her water and I got this refreshing beverage:

682_zpsf1275049.jpg

A Cider and Black, which is hard cider with a shot of black currant juice. It was very refreshing and I highly recommend it!

Our appetizers were up next. Anika got a cup of the Potato and Leek Soup:

685_zpsc3692b46.jpg

I ordered the Trio of United Kingdom Cheeses, which is Cotswolds Cheddar, Aged Irish Cheddar, and Stilton Blue Cheeses with other fun accompaniments:

684_zps8ff9406f.jpg

YUM. :worship: I adored this cheese plate and finished the whole darn thing. I had seriously considered ordering the Scotch Egg as I’d heard so many good things, but I was so enamored with this cheese plate that I'’m glad I changed my mind. As for Anika’s soup, she LOVED it. Just as I’'m still hearing about the french fries from Liberty Tree Tavern, I'’m also hearing about that soup from the Rose and Crown. So far in our meal we had two winners!

While we enjoyed our cheese and soup, we also enjoyed this guy:

686_zps10d8f47c.jpg

This bird was a riot! He hung around most of our meal and was pretty entertaining. He wasn't as persistant as some birds that scope out the quick service locations, but he was willing to be pretty patient!

Don'’t worry, though, we were good little diners and paid attention to the sign!

683_zps45a89a15.jpg

Next up were our entrées! Anika went with the classic Fish and Chips:

688_zpse5938182.jpg

She’s never found a french fry she didn'’t like, so needless to say, she loved her meal. She even ate quite a bit of the cod, which surprised me as she usually won'’t eat fish!

I thought about the fish myself, but I decided to order a different entrée and ordered the Bangers and Mash:

689_zps641e8361.jpg

Another tasty course from the Rose and Crown! It was a deceivingly large dish, as the sausages were stacked on top of a huge mound of mashed potatos. The dish was excellent and I only wish I’'d had more stomach space!

A lack of stomach capacity certainly didn'’t stop us from ordering dessert! Anika ordered cheesecake, which had a chocolate undertone and some strawberry sauce, I believe?

699_zps579f2881.jpg

I just had to order the Sticky Toffee Pudding:

700_zps7addf2d0.jpg

And we were three for three, folks! This dessert was incredible and I would recommend it to anyone! It’'s not a very light dessert, but it is delicious and a wonderful way to top off a meal.

We gave a huge tip to our delightful Katie and said goodbye to the Rose and Crown and our lovely new bird friend. Don’t worry, Sticky Toffee Pudding, I’ll be back!

Final Thoughts— - Rose & Crown
What a fantastic choice in Epcot! There are so many awesome restaurants that it’s hard to choose just a few, but we can’t wait to eat at the Rose and Crown again. Every single dish was delicious and I really enjoyed my fun beverage from the pub. It was so relaxing to sit in the breeze next to the lake and the view was fantastic. I didn't go on too much, but I just can’t say enough nice things about the service here. The check-in guys were friendly and our waitress was a dream - —even if the food wasn’t good (it was!) I would come back for the service alone. This was our favorite lunch of the week! :cloud9:

Our original plan after lunch was to tour World Showcase. Although we’'d been to Disney World before we'’d never spent nearly enough time there and still had a lot of things to experience. However, Anika had hit a wall and there was no way I was dragging a tired girl through country after country. We decided the best plan in order to allow for our night entertainment was to head back to the room and rest. So, that’s exactly what we did.

Well, that’s what one of us did… :laughing:

Up Next: The Animals of the Animal Kingdom Lodge

Last edited:
Great updates! We have never done Rose & Crown but have done the counter service in England for Fish & Chips-YUM!

There is never enough time to do all I want to do in the World Showcase!

Isn't it fun being in the parks with practically nobody else there?? Great shots of an empty Epcot!

Hahaha the walk to Norway was much farther than I had thought too! Yay for a good breakfast there! :thumbsup2

Mmmmmm sticky toffee pudding!!! Love! :love:

Oh, my...that Sticky Toffee Pudding is making me awfully hungry! And I didn't realize they serve what we call 'Heart Attack Potatoes' at the Princess Breakfast. lol

I love wandering through an almost empty EPCOT in the early morning, as well! My mom, sister and I would book rooms at the Beach Club just to be able to have that early morning walk on the way to Future World through the International Gateway.

Great photos!

Just read through all your updates! I love that you were able to go with just your sister. Your food reviews are the greatest! I can't believe you had so many ADRs planned and were able to get to so many of them too! My husband and I plan only a few, and we usually end up keeping 2 of them or so. I'm sure it'll be easier on future trips when we go back to staying off property and having a car.

Really enjoying your report. Looks like you two had a terrific trip! We love R&C too! It's always one of our ADRs.

Just stopping in to say that I love you TR. All of it. Your food photos especially. Oh, and your spreadsheet is pretty awesome, too.

But I just can't get over that lady on the plane telling you to stop talking about Disney because you were ruining it for her son. Really ???

I'm so glad I found this trip report! You are doing such a nice job and your trip looks like it was just fantastic! We are staying in AKL in May so really enjoyed seeing those pictures. I have made a mental note to climb the Swiss Family Treehouse in the dark. What a great idea! :thumbsup2

Great updates! We have never done Rose & Crown but have done the counter service in England for Fish & Chips-YUM!

There is never enough time to do all I want to do in the World Showcase!

Thanks! We just ADORED the Rose and Crown and can't wait to go back!

I absolutely agree about World Showcase. I never understand when people say there isn't enough to do there? :confused3 I'm hoping we'll be able to devote more time to World Showcase next time!

Isn't it fun being in the parks with practically nobody else there?? Great shots of an empty Epcot!

Hahaha the walk to Norway was much farther than I had thought too! Yay for a good breakfast there! :thumbsup2

Mmmmmm sticky toffee pudding!!! Love! :love:

I LOVED being in the parks with so few people! It certainly made up for the fact that we had to get up so darn early for those breakfast reservations. I knew it's a hike to World Showcase, but I was rather stunned when I looked at the timestamps on my camera! :rotfl:

That Sticky Toffee Pudding was AWESOME. :thumbsup2

Oh, my...that Sticky Toffee Pudding is making me awfully hungry! And I didn't realize they serve what we call 'Heart Attack Potatoes' at the Princess Breakfast. lol

I love wandering through an almost empty EPCOT in the early morning, as well! My mom, sister and I would book rooms at the Beach Club just to be able to have that early morning walk on the way to Future World through the International Gateway.

Great photos!

Thanks!

Yes, those are heart attack potatoes! The potatos were okay, but I much preferred the eggs, bacon, and cold buffet items.

It was such a peaceful walk - the most peaceful early ADR of the week. I'm not sure if it was the lake environment, or the long walk, or the pleasant weather... but it was my favorite early morning arrival! :cloud9:

:welcome: everybody! Thanks for joining in!

Just read through all your updates! I love that you were able to go with just your sister. Your food reviews are the greatest! I can't believe you had so many ADRs planned and were able to get to so many of them too! My husband and I plan only a few, and we usually end up keeping 2 of them or so. I'm sure it'll be easier on future trips when we go back to staying off property and having a car.

Anika and I had so much fun on this vacation! It's wonderful to get along so well with your sibling - something I'm very thankful for!

Thanks so much for your comment about my dining reviews! We did SO MUCH EATING on this vacation, but we really enjoyed every minute of it. I found the dining boards and trip reports to be so helpful while I planned our vacation, and I hope my reviews can do the same! :goodvibes

Really enjoying your report. Looks like you two had a terrific trip! We love R&C too! It's always one of our ADRs.

We had a fabulous time!

I was stunned how much we loved the Rose and Crown. I figured we would enjoy it, but I didn't think it would become one of our favorite restaurants of the trip! :laughing:

Just stopping in to say that I love you TR. All of it. Your food photos especially. Oh, and your spreadsheet is pretty awesome, too.

But I just can't get over that lady on the plane telling you to stop talking about Disney because you were ruining it for her son. Really ???

Thank you so much! I drove Anika crazy with all of my photo and video-taking, but I'm really glad that I did it now that we're home! That spreadsheet was AWESOME and very, very useful. I love anything that can be color-coded! :thumbsup2

Wasn't that woman ridiculous?! :headache: I'm almost glad she was so unreasonable as it's turned into one of my most talked-about events of the trip! (I also wonder how their trip turned out... hopefully the poor kid had a good vacation considering how concerned she was!) :rotfl2:

I'm so glad I found this trip report! You are doing such a nice job and your trip looks like it was just fantastic! We are staying in AKL in May so really enjoyed seeing those pictures. I have made a mental note to climb the Swiss Family Treehouse in the dark. What a great idea! :thumbsup2

Thank you! We did have a fantastic time - and there's a lot more to come!

I LOVED the Animal Kingdom Lodge! :love: Even though we're planning to stay at another resort during our next trip, I hope to make it over there at least once to look around and admire the resort. I have a TON more pictures of the resort, including the entire next post!

I never would've thought to do the SFT in the dark, but it was great! There were hardly any other people and the lights on the tree created a really fun experience. I definitely recommend that attraction in the dark! :thumbsup2

A Tour of the Lodge
Day 3— - Part IV

We left Epcot and arrived back at the resort around two o’clock. Anika climbed right into bed and was out like a light!

I thought it might be a good idea to rest as well, so I lay down and tried to go to sleep.

And tried.

And tried some more…

:hyper:

Oh, to heck with it! After 20 minutes of lying there (and NOT sleeping!) I gave up. Who can sleep in Disney, anyway?! :confused3

Anika obviously needed the rest, so I decided to take this prime opportunity to explore the resort! This is why I booked the Animal Kingdom Lodge in the first place— - the ability to enjoy the resort and see all the animals!

I got up, grabbed my camera, and headed straight to the Arusha Savanna. This is the largest savanna at the lodge and covers the entire back of the resort. There'’s an expansive public viewing area where anyone can see views of the animals.

This is not your average chain-link fence barrier:

722_zps6c0683fd.jpg
716_zpsfe0fffc4.jpg

724_zps7ae4f766.jpg
721_zps01bee89f.jpg

One of the things I really liked about the Animal Kingdom Lodge (and Animal Kingdom as well) is all the information they provide about the animals. The resort viewing areas were covered with items like this:

704_zps711b14a5.jpg

It was wonderful to not only confirm what you were looking at but get some great information about it, too! As the sign indicates, the first animals I noticed that afternoon were some Ankole Cattle:

705_zpsec8e4ab8.jpg
709_zps167d0dd5.jpg

I also wandered next to the water feature that held the pelicans:

708_zps1fd3d102.jpg
707_zpsb2c6ba95.jpg

I love watching birds - —they do such funny things! :p

Of course, I had to scope out two of most popular animals viewed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge:

712_zps530488a3.jpg
711_zps3b9435f6.jpg

Is there anyone in the world that doesn'’t love zebras and giraffes? :lovestruc

The staff in charge of the animals are great at keeping food on the savanna in order to keep the animals active. This giraffe was certainly enjoying himself! (Herself?)

719_zpsf0c7ea4e.jpg
718_zps99910d31.jpg

The animals were awesome, but I was also pretty enamored with the beautiful architecture of the lodge. Yes, all the Disney resorts are well designed, but I thought the Animal Kingdom Lodge was AMAZING. I don't think it's possible to look at the back entrance of the lodge and not think it’'s stunning!

723_zps5df9e919.jpg
726_zps32344554.jpg

This is the view just inside the back door where you see the swooped staircase up to the main lobby. You can also see the view out back window to the savanna where I just was:

728_zpsb52ee07c.jpg
729_zps66f341e2.jpg

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
(continued from previous post)

I wanted to check out more nooks and crannies of the lodge and found my way over to this little lounge:

737_zps87c02565.jpg

This is called the Sunset Overlook and is in the northwest corner just off the main lobby. I wish I'd had an afternoon to read a book in there—it was a beautiful room with all of the artwork and interesting design features, plus it was almost always empty! The lounge has a door out to the Sunset Savanna:

736_zpsea1b4dc0.jpg

This savanna features the Impala:

733_zpsfbb2de2f.jpg
732_zps7c9257c7.jpg

I watched them for a bit and then headed back into the lodge. I wanted to check out the restaurant areas that were on the east side of the lobby and just down the stairs.

First up was the Victoria Falls Lounge:
740_zps8fce89c8.jpg
744_zpsb77593c7.jpg

This was such an inviting looking spot. I would’'ve come here for a drink or two if only I hadn'’t had a young girl with me! It probably would’'ve been okay to bring her along (after all, she only drinks water, anyway!), but it just felt awkward to me.

I checked out the two main restaurants, Boma and Jiko, and then headed back outside to explore the Uzima Pool area.

751_zpsdf78bd25.jpg
758_zps1eb53a74.jpg

The pool was awesome! Between the zero-entry area and the slide and the nearby pool bar, it would be a great way to spend an afternoon or two. Anika and I didn’'t enjoy the pool as much as I would'’ve liked, but that’s one of the downsides of coming in February. The other great thing about the pool is it’s right next to these guys:

754_zps906efaf4.jpg
755_zps340cae08.jpg

Did I mention that I love watching birds? :laughing: I spent way too much time hanging out with these crazy birds! My favorite thing was watching them do this:

760_zps911f05a8.jpg

Love it! :lmao:

I finally checked my watch and realized I’'d been wandering around the resort for more than hour! I said goodbye to the flamingos and returned to the room to start waking up Anika for dinner. We were headed to another resort and were about to enjoy our first signature dining experience at Disney World!

As a side note, I loved my afternoon of meandering around the resort. I'’m a park commando at heart, but it was really nice to “stop and smell the roses” and just take my time noticing things. Obviously the Animal Kingdom Lodge has a lot to see, but I would recommend that anyone take their time to do the same thing at their own resort. These resorts really are Disney theming at its finest! :thumbsup2

Up Next: Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter