A sad day in Houston...

JenGray

Mouseketeer
We recieved a call from my baby's doctor on Friday. She explained to me the dangers of a sickness called RSV that preemie's can get during flue season.

No our baby does not have this, but is at high risk until March of next year. She suggested we stay away from big crowds, small children and elderly people. Which means our upcoming trip home will be cancelled. :guilty:

Oh well, we were wondering how we were going to get there anyway. So, this helps to make a final decision.

Our next trip to WDW will be for Star Wars Weekends next summer.

Please give us a moment of silence! :rolleyes: J/K

Jen: Thank you SO much for posting this. DS just had a preemie on Tuesday morning. Nope, they are not planning on a trip WDW, but we had not heard about this disease. Going to go Google some research now. Thanks again!!

Jen: Thank you SO much for posting this. DS just had a preemie on Tuesday morning. Nope, they are not planning on a trip WDW, but we had not heard about this disease. Going to go Google some research now. Thanks again!!

Congrats on the new baby! I am sure they are spending a lot of time in the NICU. It is a very hard thing to go through. You and your family will be in our prayers.

DS was born at 30 weeks. He was in the hospital for almost two months. He is 3.5 months now and doing well. We have a little trouble getting him to eat but other then that he's wonderful.

RSV is a very dangerous sickness. I've heard that it can be fatal. DS will be staying indoors from Oct - Mar to be sure he doesn't get it. The doc will be giving him a series of shots also as a prevenitive.

Take care,
Jen

When you do finally get to WDW with your baby - strong and healthy and free from the risks of catching this, your trip will be all that much sweeter :)

We recieved a call from my baby's doctor on Friday. She explained to me the dangers of a sickness called RSV that preemie's can get during flue season.

No our baby does not have this, but is at high risk until March of next year. She suggested we stay away from big crowds, small children and elderly people. Which means our upcoming trip home will be cancelled. :guilty:

Just chiming in to say YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!!!
DS11 was a preemie - he got RSV right at 6 months after his first stay in the church nursery (scary, scary, scary) and has had chronic respiratory problems ever since as a result. 1 hospitalization for pneumonia at 14 months, countless bouts of reactive airway disorder, nebulizers, inhalers, steroid treatments.

I wish we had been RSV-free. It's evil stuff. Good for your doctor and good for you to minimize her exposure even though it means sacrifice.:thumbsup2

Yes, you are doing the right thing. WDW will still be there,and probably some new things by the time you go back--who knows, you might be able to stay at the new Contemporary DVC, lol!

Seriously, my ds got RSV when he was a baby. He wasn't even a preemie and it still has caused long term effects--I still think it is what led to his asthma.

Jen

DGS had this when he was 6 mths old...he was a preemie and weighed 2#11oz at birth.....he was very ill and we had to wear gowns when we went in to see him and was advised not to go around our other grand children..until this boy was better.....When i see people out with tiny babies newborns i want to cringe....There are now a series of 2 or 3 injections against this RSV...but i have heard from a friend of mine they are very costly...Ask your dr about this..my friends grandsons ins. paid for the injections....i will never forget listening to him trying to breathe and fever would spike so high....He's a healthy boy soon to be 12yrs ...

Congrats on the new baby! I am sure they are spending a lot of time in the NICU. It is a very hard thing to go through. You and your family will be in our prayers.

DS was born at 30 weeks. He was in the hospital for almost two months. He is 3.5 months now and doing well. We have a little trouble getting him to eat but other then that he's wonderful.

RSV is a very dangerous sickness. I've heard that it can be fatal. DS will be staying indoors from Oct - Mar to be sure he doesn't get it. The doc will be giving him a series of shots also as a prevenitive.

Take care,
Jen

Yes, we are all spending time in the NICU. He's finally breathing on his own, so we are heartened by the progress. He was 34 weeks so a bit older than yours. Thank you again! We so appreciate the information.

Prayers for everyone's health! Hang tough!
:grouphug:
We may be heading to Star Wars weekend too. It would be our first DVC member trip.

When you do finally get to WDW with your baby - strong and healthy and free from the risks of catching this, your trip will be all that much sweeter :)

You are so right, thanks for the encouragement.

Just chiming in to say YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!!!
DS11 was a preemie - he got RSV right at 6 months after his first stay in the church nursery (scary, scary, scary) and has had chronic respiratory problems ever since as a result. 1 hospitalization for pneumonia at 14 months, countless bouts of reactive airway disorder, nebulizers, inhalers, steroid treatments.

I wish we had been RSV-free. It's evil stuff. Good for your doctor and good for you to minimize her exposure even though it means sacrifice.:thumbsup2

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear about your DS. Thanks for sharing your story. This will remind to be more cautious. You would think a church nursery would be safe.

Yes, you are doing the right thing. WDW will still be there,and probably some new things by the time you go back--who knows, you might be able to stay at the new Contemporary DVC, lol!

Seriously, my ds got RSV when he was a baby. He wasn't even a preemie and it still has caused long term effects--I still think it is what led to his asthma.

Jen

I didn't know non-preemies could catch the virus. That just reminds us that all babies are fragile. This is something they need to warn us about in the hospital after giving birth. Mom's need to know how important it is to keep our babies safe and germ free.

DGS had this when he was 6 mths old...he was a preemie and weighed 2#11oz at birth.....he was very ill and we had to wear gowns when we went in to see him and was advised not to go around our other grand children..until this boy was better.....When i see people out with tiny babies newborns i want to cringe....There are now a series of 2 or 3 injections against this RSV...but i have heard from a friend of mine they are very costly...Ask your dr about this..my friends grandsons ins. paid for the injections....i will never forget listening to him trying to breathe and fever would spike so high....He's a healthy boy soon to be 12yrs ...

So glad your DGS is better. I thought 3lbs 5oz was small! The NICU is such a scary place. I know all us parents and grandparents went through the same emotions each time we visited.

Even though DS is now 10lbs, he is still fragile and needs to stay out of the crowds. I take him to the grocery store, but there are still germs there. People always stop me and say, "aw, he's so little". I think to myself... but if you could've see him at 3.5 lbs.

After reading your post, it makes to put him in a bubble. Especially during this season.

We will be getting the shots. Dr says little Enzo is approved for insurance because he has an enlarged heart.

Yes, we are all spending time in the NICU. He's finally breathing on his own, so we are heartened by the progress. He was 34 weeks so a bit older than yours. Thank you again! We so appreciate the information.

Do not be afraid to ask any one question to those nurses. They are there to help the baby and you understand what is going on. We considered our nurses a God send because they taught us how to change diapers, how to give him a bath, what to watch for, blood loss, cpr, develpment stages, etc... I can't even begin to list what all they did for us. We were happy to go home, but sad to leave them.

One thing that scared me to death was when they gave him a blood transfusion. He just looked to be in so much pain, but after he really perked up and felt better. The nurses taught me that they take so much blood from the babies, they don't have enough time to remake it... so they need a little help.

Be sure to watch his IVs. They only last a short time before the veins give out. Enzo had one blowup, he got a chemical burn from the fluids. It looked like a really bad spider bite, a big black hole.

Don't be suprised if they put an IV in the babies head. This is actually the best place to put them on babies. The veins are strongest there.

I could go on and on.... sorry, just feel like these are things new NICU parents and grandparents should know.

Prayers for everyone's health! Hang tough!
:grouphug:
We may be heading to Star Wars weekend too. It would be our first DVC member trip.

Woohoo! Congrats on your new "home"!
This will be our first trip to Star Wars Weekends. Can't wait.

Did all of your babies get RSV during the flue season or another time?

I am starting to worry. The dr office said they don't give the first shot until October. Seems to me they would do it a little sooner.

Just some words of encouragement....

My sister was born back in 88. Weighing 1 lb 15 oz. born 3 months early. That was WAY before the Doctors knew much about premies. They gave horrible outcomes, death, mental problems, wouldn't be able to play sports.
Just to let yall know she graduated with honors from highschool, played softball, basketball and was in marching band for years. Is on the deans list in college and on her second year in college and again taking 18 credit hours. She's doing VERY well. I just thought i'd throw that in there because there's always so many worries about premies and you never really know what will happen... but there's hope.

My DS was born 7 weeks early, in November 2005. We kept him home and away from visitors and public places until April. He didn't get RSV. Hubby and I and other family members (MIL, FIL, my parents) also all made sure we got our flu shots. DS never got sick. It was hard staying home all those months, but worth it to us that we knew DS had a very low risk of getting RSV.

There is a shot they can get to help prevent it. Our pediatrician mentioned it as well as the neonatalogist. But it's very expensive and insurance only pays if the preemie baby has risk factors like other siblings that are in school or daycare, smoking in the home and some other factors.

Hope your DS stays healthy and grows well!

My twins were in the NICU at Herman in Houston. My whole family thought I was nuts because I followed the doctor's orders to a T. One of my boys did get RSV but he was over two years old. The doctor was telling me how lucky I was that DS was older. It is devastating for infants.

Hopefully our insurance will pay for the shots. He does have a few things working for him... so, we'll see. If not, we will still get the shots and just make it work. Maybe the drs office will give us a payment plan or something.

We were at St. Joseph NICU and too live in Katy. How funny.... it is a small world.

I have twins that are 10 years old.When they were 6 weeks old they got the RSV virus and ended up in oxygen tents in the hospital for several days.It was very upsetting to say the least.They are healthy now except one of them has pretty bad asthma.I was under the impression that they now have a vaccine for this virus.

Sounds like a really scary time. You must have had a lot of sleepless nights.
Glad your twins are better.

They really need to come up with a vacine they can give the babies at birth to protect them from RSV.

I found out about RSV by reading an article in the Preemie magazine in the waiting room at the NICU.
At discharge our nurse asked us if we'd heard about it. We asked her a few questions that she could not answer. All she could do was give us a preprinted, one page summary. Very sad!

My DD was not a preemie as she was just over 37 weeks....but she did come down with RSV at 8 weeks old. We were able to treat her at home without any hospitalization as she made an easy and full recovery.

Now, I am certainly not saying...go ahead, no big deal if a baby gets RSV. You should absolutely follow the doc's instructions. My point for this post is that not every case of RSV means immediate hospitalization and/or long term consequences. Like most illnesses, there are hugely varying degrees.

Good luck and I hope you all stay healthy!

My DD was not a preemie as she was just over 37 weeks....but she did come down with RSV at 8 weeks old. We were able to treat her at home without any hospitalization as she made an easy and full recovery.

Now, I am certainly not saying...go ahead, no big deal if a baby gets RSV. You should absolutely follow the doc's instructions. My point for this post is that not every case of RSV means immediate hospitalization and/or long term consequences. Like most illnesses, there are hugely varying degrees.

Good luck and I hope you all stay healthy!

That is encouraging, thanks for sharing.

facebook twitter