A Question A Hospital Employee Might Be Able To Answer...?

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
I've been watching "A Baby Story" and like shows on TLC lately. I frequently see, on patient doors and room walls, signs that say "LAMP" and have a genie-type lamp.

What does that mean?

(I DID try Google, to no avail.)

Nurse here and I've never seen that either. Unless it's a veiled reference to Florence Nightingale, I have no idea.

Ours said LDRP

for
Labor, Delivery, Recovery, Post Partum

It may be their abbreviatons for what the room is used for.

L could still be Labor

A could be ante-partum(bed rest or other complication before delvery)

M no idea

P post partum

Denise in MI

I know our administration is always posting these "employee only" reminders, things that are supposed to call attention to various things without alerting or alarming the patients and their families. For instance, they put these little signs of a puddle with a tear drop falling into it on the doorways of patients who are actively dying. Patients who are at risk for falling get a little sign on their doors that says IRIS, it stands for "I Require Intensive Supervision". Things like that. I bet the LAMP means something along those lines, what exactly I have no idea.

I know our administration is always posting these "employee only" reminders, things that are supposed to call attention to various things without alerting or alarming the patients and their families. For instance, they put these little signs of a puddle with a tear drop falling into it on the doorways of patients who are actively dying. Patients who are at risk for falling get a little sign on their doors that says IRIS, it stands for "I Require Intensive Supervision". Things like that. I bet the LAMP means something along those lines, what exactly I have no idea.

Interesting! I'm sure you are right!

Could be something to do with the emergency power? We have little flashlights stashed and there is a hallway emergency lighting system when the back up generator comes on? Just a guess.

I don't know what the LAMP means but is probably an acronym. One hospital my Dad stayed in several doors had a shooting star on them and I asked about it and was told that it was a "falling star" and hence these patients were prone to falling.

One of my parents has had LAMP. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with falls/how ambulatory the patient is, not babies.

I know a white flower on a NICU door means a baby died. They had to call and tell me before I got there and let me know so I did not think it was my DD.
There is another one I forgot that means the mom in labor knew the baby had died.
My old boss' sister had her baby die in utero at full term and she had to go through full labor. Appararently if they did a C-Section on her, they would not let her traverl to where her baby was going to be buried. That had some kind of sign on the door so the nurses were aware.

I know a white flower on a NICU door means a baby died. They had to call and tell me before I got there and let me know so I did not think it was my DD.
There is another one I forgot that means the mom in labor knew the baby had died.
My old boss' sister had her baby die in utero at full term and she had to go through full labor. Appararently if they did a C-Section on her, they would not let her traverl to where her baby was going to be buried. That had some kind of sign on the door so the nurses were aware.

We had a flower with a teardrop, but we tried to move those moms off the baby floor to a surgical floor as soon as possible because we didn't want to make it harder hearing all the babies and all the celebrating.

We used stars for fall risk as well.

LAMP is usually a falls prevention. Started by VCMU. Alot of falls can be avoided by proper lighting, that is why they use the LAMP word and a genies lamp.

Although the program involves more than just lighting, this is its meaning.

Hi Meg! Good to see that baby is still cooking! :laughing: How are you doing? Still on bed rest? Hope the blood pressure is under control. :goodvibes

We have a sign with a hand releasing a balloon.

It's interesting how different hospitals communicate these things.

My guess is, patients who have had an epidural are at increased fall risk, and that's why you see the LAMP signs in the baby shows.

This is so interesting! I would never have thought! I bet it is the falling/epidural thing.

Hi Meg! Good to see that baby is still cooking! :laughing: How are you doing? Still on bed rest? Hope the blood pressure is under control. :goodvibes
Yeah, still on bedrest (hence the DVR'd baby shows! ;) ) BP is staying consistently high, but not high enough to take baby. I'm feeling REALLY pregnant at 36 weeks, and wish they would just take her already!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter