A long overdue THANK YOU!

Dear Page Family:

You cannot know how deeply and profoundly your family has touched the lives of everyone who passes by this site. We are honored to be witness to such grace and beauty.

I feel for your family because they have no idea of what they missed. There is something achingly beautiful and calming about saying goodbye to special people in our lives. It gives us a touchstone to return to when life becomes too tough or even when it becomes joyful. They will never know that peace which is a shame for them.

Thank you for passing along the kindnesses that you have felt. Nate's memory will live on in many ways.

Originally posted by pagehouse
.....Nate will be remembered by 1000's of people just by the way he touched their hearts..... I guess when you get down to it, I feel like this, and I know this sounds bad, but...Eric and I feel so privileged to have been given Nate. We are better having known him. Unfortunately, in most cases the kids in the home weren't born to parents that felt that way. So, if I were Nate and I felt that I had been blessed being born into the home that I was, I would feel compelled to help kids like me that weren't so lucky. (that sounds bad I know)
Does not sound bad at all. Sounds well thought out and loving.

re: Family not coming to the funeral or contacting you since then: Some people just do not know what to say when a child is born with handicaps or when a child dies. I think they are the ones who are handicapped and they are the losers in the long run.

All of us who got to know Nate from these Boards are better for having known him.

May today be a good one and may you hear Nate's laughter in unexpected places.

Jan :earsgirl:

Originally posted by pagehouse

As for the family thing, I wish I were as eager to give them an excuse as you all are. The truth is I am both furious and devastated at the same time. To this day, a little more than a month later, they still have not even called us or sent a card. These are not distant relatives either. These are aunts, uncles, grandparents and so on. Our FAMILY! Close family! I think they are a bunch of jerks right now. But maybe I'll soften after awhile and just think they are heals!

First, I'd like to offer my condolences. Nate was a beautiful child and so lucky to be born into a family who loves him so much!

Secondly, I'd like to address the family issue. I am so sorry. I am sitting here trying to understand and make excuses, but I can't think of one. You are all hurting so bad and family is supposed to all come together at a time like this. That includes aunts, uncles and grandparents. I can't imagine what their explanation could be? You almost have to feel sorry for them, because, it's true, they are the one with the handicap. Just know that your Disney family will be here for you, always!

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I have thought of you and your family often and have said prayers on your behalf. I will be on Castaway Cay In February and will be thinking of Nate, as well as my Mother who I lost February 9th 2003.

Teri

Chris and Eric, I often think of the thread you wrote about Castaway Cay and how everything was just perfect for you there. How wonderful that you were able to leave something special there. I promise to listen for his laughter when I am there. Re: your family not coming to the funeral, Love is what makes us family, not blood. Rest in peace my angel, you will never be forgotten.

Dear Chris and Eric,

I have thought of you often these past weeks and was happy to for the update. Time will help, but it is hard to see that right now.

As for your family, let me pass on a piece of advice my father gave me. Your relatives have everything to do with genetics. Your friends have everything to do with your choices of how you live your life and who you share it with.

May the support of your friends help you deal with the family.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Love always
Denise

Thank you, Nate and Page Family, for reminding me to stop and take a look around. Sometimes, life moves too fast.... This is what Nate has reminded me.

My prayers are with you in your time of sadness.

The palm tree warms my heart :)
Thank you for posting the address,
and don't worry, when the time is right you will know EXACTLY what the correct thing to use the money for will be, Nate will let you know! Don't doubt your instincts, they are him speaking to you. Hang in there sweetie, celebrate life with your children, they are precious gifts just as Nate was. As for your "family" just let it go, if we could choose our family like we can choose our friends many more people would be happy. They are undeserving of you. Your true family resides right in your house, embrace them and forget those who can't be bothered , they are not worth your energy. Call me anytime you need to talk, hugs Ann

Chris,
What a wonderful thing you and Eric did with Nate's memories. Image how many people will now step off the ship at Castaway Cay and think of Nate when they see the palm trees. I know that he will be the first thing I think of.

Your family is in my thoughts all the time.

Kim

I wanted to add a comment about your family. When I found out that my dad had colon cancer this past September, I wasn't sure how to react. I was scared for him. I prayed for him. I worried about his mental and physical well being.

But I didn't call him. I didn't email him. I didn't visit him, even when he went into the hospital for surgery. In fact, I didn't see or talk to him until he came to our house for Thanksgiving dinner. I just didn't know how to cope emotionally with his cancer.

Perhaps that makes me a monster. But I avoided my father in order to avoid facing my emotions.

Similarly when the wife of my former boss passed away suddenly this past month, I had several opportunities to go over to his home and talk with him. But I didn't. Again I prayed for him and for his family, but I didn't think that he needed an emotional basket case at his front doorstep while he was coping with his loss.

I am not trying to make excuses for your family. Perhaps they are just as confused as to what to do or say as I was when faced with such an emotional situation.

Just my 2 cents worth of armchair psychology.

Page family -

I am truly sorry for your loss. A dear friend of mine went through something similar. Even though Nathan had such a short time on this Earth, his life has touched many. For that we are truly thankful! :grouphug: I'm sure that when many step foot on that magical island it will be remembered as Nathan's Cay.

First of all, please forgive me if this seems intrusive. I am completely new to this board and this is the first post I have read. I am sitting here crying like crazy. I have 3 boys of my own - even a 12 year old Nicholas! I simply cannot fathom the pain of losing your precious son. He is a beautiful boy. His little smile (in your journal pix) was so amazing.

I just wanted to let you know how touched I am by your thoughts, your courage, your strength.

I am so, so sorry that your family is having to endure this. I know that your little man is being tenderly and lovingly cared for by the ultimate parent, God, who gave him the biggest bear-hug ever upon his arrival in heaven!!!

I have a son who has some learning disabilities and one evening while I was in the car, by myself, I just began crying about it - giving into some sadness that I try to hide when my kids are about. Suddenly, it popped into my head - this thought - that seemed so clearly from God: "Don't you know that I love him even more than you do?" It was shocking to me. I guess I hadn't thought about it that way, but it gave me lots of comfort. I hope it will for you.

I will pray for you and your family. Don't ever forget that you will be with him again and that God is taking wonderful care of him in the meantime.:hug:

Originally posted by tinkie
I have a son who has some learning disabilities and one evening while I was in the car, by myself, I just began crying about it - giving into some sadness that I try to hide when my kids are about. Suddenly, it popped into my head - this thought - that seemed so clearly from God: "Don't you know that I love him even more than you do?" It was shocking to me. I guess I hadn't thought about it that way, but it gave me lots of comfort. I hope it will for you.

That message was a wonderful comfort and help to me when the going was tough. I am glad others get it too.

Jan :earsgirl:

tinkie-THANK YOU! I most certainly needed to be reminded of that. It is a comforting thought to (pretend) to go to sleep with tonight. Sleep is somewhat hard to come by these days. Infact, I am TIERD of trying to catch it. (O.K. that's a lame attempt at a joke.)
I do have to keep reminding myself that God does know exactly what it is like to lose a child. I'm sure he felt all the terrible sadness that we feel.

Family thing- I am working on the forgiveness that I know I need to have. Maybe it is still too soon. I just think it would be so much better to tell a person "hey, I don't know what you are going through, I don't know what to say to make it better, but I am here if you need me." To avoid a person when they are going through something like this just makes them feel more isolated and alone. Like it's not bad enough to have lost Nate, but we've somehow lost family too. Well, I think it is all part of the "Master Plan" God brought us to this board because he knew we would need you guys!

Chris and Eric,

What a beautiful photo, I know I will never, think of, or see, Castaway Cay, the same way, ever again. Thanks again for sharing your lives with us, and especially, one very remarkable, young man.

Chris,
I completely understand how hard it must be to deal with forgiving your family members. I am hoping that their lack of sensitivity is due to fear and grief and not mean-spiritedness. Forgiveness of a family member is the hardest thing; we expect so much more from them. My "big life experience" with forgiveness was dealing with my husband's infidelity and trying to repair our marriage. It wasn't a one-time declaration of "I forgive you!" boom, wiped away. It was a choice I made (I had to if we were to survive) each and every morning whether I felt like it or not. The lesson for me was how amazing God is to forgive us of our sins (time and time again) when it is so hard for me to forgive others. I don't see any other way to do it other than to pray and ask God to help you to forgive. To take the bitterness and sadness about it from you. He can and will carry that burden for you. I'm sorry for the additional sadness it has caused you. What a shame.

Anyway, I have to admit that it is very hard for me to respond to someone in the midst of their grief. I always am afraid I'll make it worse! I like this article that offers some practical tips to all of us on how to do it! I'll post it so maybe others can learn from it too! (can you add anything?) *maybe you could mail it to your family anonymously! :)

You Can Help A Grieving Heart

by Alice J. Wisler

"Oh, we talk about the best cold medications and if cherry cough syrup tastes better to kids than orange. We can recommend preschools and sneakers. But the hardest part of parenting is the least often discussed. The roughest aspect of being a parent is losing a child.

Then we clam up. We don't want to hear. We are threatened. If her child died, mine could, too. What can we do when parenting goes beyond the normal expectations? "What do I say?" friends ask me with a look of agony in their eyes. "I feel so helpless.
I can't empathize, I haven't had a child die."

You can help. You don't have to stand there with a blank stare or excuse yourself from the conversation. You can be informed so that you will be able to reach out to a friend who has lost a child.

"Jump into the midst of things and do something," says Ronald Knapp author of the book, "Beyond Endurance: When A Child Dies." Traditionally there are the sympathy cards and hot casseroles brought over to the bereaved's home. But it doesn't end there. That is only the beginning of reaching out to your friend or relative who has recently experienced the death of a child at any age.

Here are 15 tips you can learn to make you an effective and compassionate friend to your friend in pain:
1. Listen. When you ask your friend, "How are you doing today?" wait to hear the answer.
2. Cry with her. She may cry also, but your tears don't make her cry. She cries when no one else is around and within her heart are the daily tears no one sees.
3. Don't use cliches. Avoid lines like, "It will get better." "Be grateful you have other children." "You're young, you can have another baby." "He was sick and it is good he is no longer suffering." There will never be a phrase invented that makes it all right that a child died.
4. Help with the care of the surviving children.Offer to take them to the park, your house for a meal, to church. Say "May I please take Billy to the park today? Is four okay with you?" Don't give the line, "If you need me, call me." Your bereaved friend may not feel comfortable with asking for help.
5. Say your friend's child's name. Even if she cries, these are tears that heal. Acknowledging that the child lived and has not been forgotten is a wonderful balm to a broken heart.
6. Give to the memorial fund. Find out what it is and give, today, next year and the next.
7. Some mothers start to collect items that bring comfort after a child dies; find out what it is your friend is collecting and buy one for her. My son liked watermelons and we have many stories of watermelons and him. Therefore my house now has assorted watermelon mementoes -- a tea pot, kitchen towel and soap dispenser. Many mothers find solace in rainbows, butterflies and angels.
8. Send a card (I'm thinking of you is fine) but stay away from sappy sympathy ones.
9. Go to the grave. Take flowers, a balloon or a toy. How honored your friend will be to see what you have left there the next time she visits the cemetery.
10. Don't use religion as a 'brush away' for pain.Stay clear of words that don't help like, "It was God's will."
11. Don't judge her. You don't know what she is going through each day, you can not know of the intense pain unless you have had a child die.
12. Stay in touch. Call to hear how she is coping. Suggest getting together, but if she isn't up for it, give her space.
13. Read a book on grief, focusing on the parts that give you ideas on how to be a source of comfort for your bereaved friend.
14. Know she has a hole in her heart, a missing piece due to the death of her child. Holes like these never heal so accept this truth and don't expect her to 'get over' this loss.
15. Remember that with the death of her child, a part of her died -- old beliefs, ideals, etc. Her life has been forever changed. Let her know your love for her as well as God's love for her is still the same.

Even as you participate in the suggestions above, you will still feel uncomfortable. It has been three years since the death of my four year-old, Daniel, and even now when I meet a newly-bereaved mother, I am uncomfortable. Talking of the untimely death of a child is never easy for anyone. However, avoiding reality does not bring healing. You will provide many gifts of comfort along the way when you actively decide to help your grieving friend. When my friends and family acknowledge all four or my children, the three on this earth and the one in Heaven, I am honored. Each time it is as though a ray of warm sunlight has touched my soul."

BIG HUGS! Tinkie
:grouphug:

I am new to the boards and just came across your post tonight. I went back and found all your posts and am up to speed. All I was looking for was information on a DCL cruise and I came across so much more!!!! My heart goes out to you and your family. You are in my prayers. I have come across may wonderful studies about "distance prayer" as I work with very ill patients myself. I believe in the power of "distance prayer" and the healing it can have on your broken heart. I am touched by so many of the postings on this site. God will always find a way to reach you! Even if it is through a web site devoted to Disney! I guess people who love Disney are children at heart at any age and have hearts of gold.

God is with you not to metion so may other people that you have never met or will ever have the chance to meet...

Dear Page Family, I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a long time now and I will continue to do so for a long time to come. Thank you for keeping us updated and for posting the address for the memorial fund. I think doing something for the children is a wonderful idea! When my father and then my mother was dying of cancer and then for many days after my family had a common saying "take it 1 day at a time" and often I felt like I was taking it 1 hour at a time as I went through all the different emotions of grief. I feel my parents live on through us, their children, and even though we just recently passed the 8 year anniversary of my mothers death I have found myself thinking of her (and thus my father who died almost 26 years when I was only 14) very often lately and how I am very much like her and of how my parents are angels looking on us from heaven and hopefully helping to guide me to be a better parent. Nate has touched so many lives and will live on in you and your husband and boys. His memory and strength and joy for life will live on through the lives of those he has touhed here. Thank you for sharing him with all of us!! I will definitely be thinking of Nate when we are on Castaway Cay in Nov.

Cheryl

Tinkie,

What a great post! For those of us who don't know what to say or do for fear of upsetting the family, the tips are very helpful.

I guess when it comes right down to it, for those "on the outside", it doesn't really matter how we feel. We can not possibly be hurting or grieving as much as the immediate family. What is important is to try, I would imagine that showing the family that you care for them in anyway will help in some way. To not acknowledge them because we are uncomfortable is worse.

To Chris, Eric and the boys,

I hope that somehow the family members who were not around to support you at this time, can realize that you needed and still do need them to help you through this. They need to find a way to start mending the fences that they broke. It is very unfair of them to add more stress into your lives at this time.

God bless you and my continued prayers, Lorie

Thank you so much for taking the time to update us.

So, next time you are in Castaway Cay, listen very carefully and you just might hear Nathan's laugh being carried on the wind.

That is so beautiful! The photo is wonderful. Thank you for sharing that with us. What a beautiful way to honor the memory of such a special young man. Your family is an inspiration to us all. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter