A little vent...

LUCiD

Mouseketeer
I just needed to vent about a medical condition of mine...
It's obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD, for short, here's a link incase you don't know what it is and what it does to people who have it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_disorder

This mental disorder which I've inherited from my dad, ( I don't blame him though, it's not his fault he didn't know it could be passed on through genetics...)

This medical condition caused various troubles in my life, I'm very blessed that I am now on medication for it.:angel: Last summer I was diagnosed with it and I had severe stress. Picture what you would feel like if you knew that you were about die and that's how scared I was. Now I struggle with obsessive thoughts, though not as bad as last time. My dad is the only one in my family who can understand me, I tried talking to my friends about this but they didn't understand. So, I was wondering if you could be so kind as to pray for me so that I might get through this without living my life in fear...

Anyway, I just needed to vent a little...

OCD is not a fun disorder. I was diagnoised with it when I was 18. I was put on medicine and I'm so much better off now (I'm 29). I still have OCD thoughts, but they don't control my life.

I feel your pain... :hug:

I do understand and although I have not dealt with it directly in my family I do know how hard this one can be. Do the best you can, stay on your meds and hopefully you will cope with this illness.. Hugs to you.

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this problem and I am sending you a big Koala cuddle from 'down under'.
Sometimes it can be hard for friends to really understand something that they have not experienced but it must be a relief to be able to chat with your dad.

Feel free to have a good vent anytime you want, there are lots of people here who are great listeners. I hope those OCD thoughts lessen over time.

:hug: Trish

Thank you guys so much... this means a whole lot to me. Hugs to all!!:grouphug: I'm feeling a lot better now, again, thank you guys so much.:lovestruc

I was just diagnosed with OCD recently I was not surprised by my diagnosis at all. I have struggled with it for a LONG time but just recently sought help for it.
I feel your pain and will certainly keep you in my prayers.

My struggle is with counting things (like if I am in a meeting at work, I will count the number of people continuously - which is REALLY distracting) I alsp will count the letters of words when people talk to me. No one knows that I do this - I am able to do it very quickly and still be able to listen somehow and respond - but I would prefer to not do it at all!

I also get very scared and just certain that something horrible will happen to a family member, especially one of my daughter's.
I had my first true panic attack about 2 weeks ago - I was grocery shopping and all of a sudden I was just terrified. It was horrific and I had no clue why I was so scared.

I am sorry to you are living with this disease. It is misunderstood and I hope you are able to work through it all ok and hope the medicine continues to help you.

I'm really sorry to hear you have been struggling with OCD. Apart from medication, have you heard that people with OCD can be helped by Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)? I am a psychologist working in the UK and use CBT with people with OCD. Would you be able to find out if this is available where you are?

I just needed to vent about a medical condition of mine...
It's obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD, for short, here's a link incase you don't know what it is and what it does to people who have it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_disorder

This mental disorder which I've inherited from my dad, ( I don't blame him though, it's not his fault he didn't know it could be passed on through genetics...)

This medical condition caused various troubles in my life, I'm very blessed that I am now on medication for it.:angel: Last summer I was diagnosed with it and I had severe stress. Picture what you would feel like if you knew that you were about die and that's how scared I was. Now I struggle with obsessive thoughts, though not as bad as last time. My dad is the only one in my family who can understand me, I tried talking to my friends about this but they didn't understand. So, I was wondering if you could be so kind as to pray for me so that I might get through this without living my life in fear...

Anyway, I just needed to vent a little...

Vent away, sista! I don't have OCD, but I do have some mental illnesses(bipolar and anxiety disorders) which give me a fit. The anxiety makes me so fearful it interferes with my ability to work and the bipolar just complicates everything else.When I'm not stable I just want to kill myself all the time. :guilty: Thank God for medication! I can only imagine how you feel. It must be pretty bad. :hug:

I'm really sorry to hear you have been struggling with OCD. Apart from medication, have you heard that people with OCD can be helped by Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)? I am a psychologist working in the UK and use CBT with people with OCD. Would you be able to find out if this is available where you are?

I had CBT for my depression - it was a computer-based course called Beat The Blues. I'm also in the UK so this particular course might not be used elsewhere, or it might be called something else. Anyway I found it really helpful and 2 years later I still use elements of it in my everyday life.

I now have a "mild" case of OCD, more the obsessive than the compulsive and like you I have obsessive thoughts, especially going over and over things in my past and rehearsing what I should have said or done.

Suzycute - is the CBT for OCD (sorry about the TLAs !) the same as for depression? If different, could I get it on the NHS as I did with the depression CBT ?

Linda

Hi Linda

I'm really glad you found Beating the Blues to be helpful.

CBT for OCD is based on the same principles as for depression in that it looks at how you think influences how you feel and what you do. CBT for OCD tries to understand the meaning of the thoughts (and the rituals people do to cope with them). Therapy is certainly available on the NHS - the government are rolling out a mental health programme called "Improving access to psychological therapies" (IAPT - there is a dedicated website to learn more) and hopefully this should be available now or shortly in your area. However there may be a waiting list.

Have you been diagnosed with OCD or do you have a problem with worry? There are several really good books that you could get from the library or book shop. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post these on the boards - (this might be advertising?) but PM me if you want the names. :thumbsup2

My friends didn't get it either. One actually said, "What do you read about this crap on line and then get it?"

I'm so mad about that comment I will never tell her anything again.

It takes alot to open up to someone and tell them something so personal. No one GETS it that I know. They think I'm just ignorant. Then they take the first opportunity they have to throw it in my face. I wont tell anyone anything about my issues.

Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter