A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

I should add that I have not found most WDW vets to be snobbish about such things. And I guess another characteristic of snobbishness is saying "WDW is better than DLR" having never been to DLR or having made one day trip there 25+ years ago. That of course does not apply to you.

And for everyone else's info, my comment quoted above - from another forum, as noted - was in the context of a DLR vet expressing amazement that WDW fans would tolerate the transportation "barriers" to the parks, and tolerate the general greater distance of WDW hotels from parks as opposed to hotels like those at DLR which are right across the street from the parks. I understood where he was coming from, and why he thought DLR was so much more advantageous in this area. In my defense, you can see that I did go on to explain other reasons why he should consider going to WDW and not be too hung up about transportation and hotel locations.

HydroGuy, yes, we are still friends. Wouldn't it be completely crazy if we weren't friends just because one prefers one park over the other!!! I just love Disney, and I really don't care if people prefer DLR, DLP, etc., over WDW. I am not one of those people who will defend my "home" park to the death. I was just hoping that you weren't talking about me as being a "snob" because I still prefer WDW over DLR. Although we had some frustrations at DLR, we still had a great time. It's a fabulous place.

I still think your guide is great, and I wish I had read your guide before our family's first visit this year to DLR and the surrounding areas. It would have helped a lot. You were "right on" with many of your observations both within DLR and it's supporting attractions...beaches, San Diego attractions, etc. It appears that you have a very strong emotional attachment to the DRL, but your guide is, for the most part, "neutral". The fact that you would take the time to work on this guide is pretty amazing.

As you mentioned, you like to spend as much time in the parks as you possibly can. We, on the otherhand, like to take it a little slower and love the other ammenities that WDW offers. I travel extensively on my job, and my DH deals with life-and-death situations on a daily basis, so we look forward to more of a "relaxing" vacation. Our twins are following in "dad's footsteps" and are now in med school, and our other DDs are in graduate school, and it is just so gratifying that our girls still want to go on vacation with "mom and dad" to WDW. Except for WDW, the Caribbean and the Florida Beaches, they just don't want to find time to go with us on any other vacations.....so sad. They did come with us to DLR, but I doubt if they will join us again. I guess that's one of the reasons I prefer WDW over the DLR.

I look forward to reading your WDW Guide for the DLR crowd, and I enjoyed some of the preview you gave in your current report. I was surprised to learn that FP in Florida must be used within the hour block; does that mean you are turned away if you come back too late? Also, how far in advance of your trip do you recommend subscribing to TGM? Thanks again for all your work.

As a WDW veteran(we have been going since 1976) I cannot wait to hit DLR this August for the 1st time! I want to thank Hydroguy for all the useful info. I have obtained from his posts, and I am completley ready for the DLR experience.....thanks again

newfamilyman said:
I was surprised to learn that FP in Florida must be used within the hour block; does that mean you are turned away if you come back too late?
There is debate on this, and one of the strange dynamics about TGM is that you have to be careful sharing info outside TGM - such as here. TGM does have some advice on how you can work the FP system at WDW. FP is discussed regularly on their forums, and you can get the straight scoop there.

newfamilyman said:
Also, how far in advance of your trip do you recommend subscribing to TGM?
As soon as possible. Depending on when you go, there are some things you may want to make reservations for 6 months in advance. The next time we go I will sign up at least 6 months in advance. On this last trip, I signed up 4 months in advance because that is when I found out about TGM.

Since I have been putting up so many stats, I was wondering how the ride count compares at WDW to DLR. Again, it is somewhat ambiguous what is and is not a ride, and I had to use some judgement. I have it all in an Excel spreadsheet and think I was fair to both parks. Here is what I came up with:

WDW - 72
DLR - 66

Hmmm, four parks at WDW but only 6 more rides. That is a very interesting. Here is how they break down:

MK - 32
Epcot - 19
MGM - 10
AK - 11

DL - 41
DCA - 25

DL has one major ride under construction - Finding Nemo Submarines - which will open in the summer of 2007 and bring DLR up to 67. At WDW I think there is one ride being reworked at Epcot - the Body Wars area - and that is all of which I am aware. So WDW may go to 73 at some point.

HydroGuy,

Hello from Colorado Springs, CO! My husband and I vacation a lot at WDW, even though I'm trying to force a DL trip sometime. (Husband has never been to DL....I have. 2 trips as a child, and I went for one day a few years ago. Didn't make to over to DCA though.)

I really hope people will give DL a chance and see what it's all about. Although I should mention that my step-mom visited WDW in 98' and then a few years later went to DL. As she's walking down Main Street at DL, she takes one look at Sleeping Beauty Castle and claims, "Wow that's so small compared to the castle at WDW!" At that point she had no desire to even return to DL in the future. (How sad. But it's her loss...)

I'm really glad that you busted this myth in your article and showed us that it's not the size of the castle that matters. It's the culture and history that make Sleep Beauty castle so breathtaking and spetacular!

Diznee25

diznee25 said:
Hello from Colorado Springs, CO!
From the great Rocky Mountain Disney fan club, huh? Always glad to see other folks from CO on the boards. :wizard:

We are JUST back from 2 days at DLR and CA- first trip after years of WDW. Once again, thanks HydroGuy for your tips. I downloaded your entire post on my PDA and we referred to it more than once while we were in the parks!

I kept composing a post as we walked around, but the bottom line is that WDW and DLR are TOTALLY different experiences and cannot be compared apples to apples. We go to WDW for a week-long "immersion" experience (as HydroGuy said) and buy tons of WDW gear, from shirts to hats to mouse ears, and do everything Disney. We would never think of leaving the park and going to Wendy's (as we heard one family doing while we were on the shuttle going back to the parking deck). It's just not in our mindset when we're there.

That said, we LOVED DLR (and CA). Space Mountain rocks! Pirates is a whole new world. Matterhorn may be old, but it's still a classic. Grizzly River Run is a rapids ride like no other. I could have ridden California Screamin' again and again. Soarin' - well, we have that at Epcot and I'd wait days to ride that at either park. We ate 3 meals in New Orleans Square in 2 days. I sat and waited 2 hours for Fantasmic, and I won't even do that at WDW. I cried at fireworks just like I do at WDW. I told my daughter I'd gladly pay $116 just to stand on Main Street and soak in the Disney magic and never ride a thing, and I can do that on either coast. And it's amazing to be able to go from park to park in under 2 minutes - I didn't quite understand all the complaining about getting from park to park at WDW, and then I walked into the entrance plaza on Thursday morning and stared in amazement!

Anyway, thanks again HydroGuy for making it possible for us to cover all the highlights in 2 parks in 2 half days, and for this entire post for reminding us that DL fans love their park just as much as we WDW fans love our park. It made for a new perspective as we walked around - kept us much more open-minded and able to understand things that might have really irritated us otherwise.

MouseDogMom said:
We are JUST back from 2 days at DLR and CA- first trip after years of WDW. Once again, thanks HydroGuy for your tips. I downloaded your entire post on my PDA and we referred to it more than once while we were in the parks!

I kept composing a post as we walked around, but the bottom line is that WDW and CLR are TOTALLY different experiences and cannot be compared apples to apples. We go to WDW for a week-long "immersion" experience (as HydroGuy said) and buy tons of WDW gear, from shirts to hats to mouse ears, and do everything Disney. We would never think of leaving the park and going to Wendy's (as we heard one family doing while we were on the shuttle going back to the parking deck). It's just not in our mindset when we're there.

That said, we LOVED DLR (and CA). Space Mountain rocks! Pirates is a whole new world. Matterhorn may be old, but it's still a classic. Grizzly River Run is a rapids ride like no other. I could have ridden California Screamin' again and again. Soarin' - well, we have that at Epcot and I'd wait days to ride that at either park. We ate 3 meals in New Orleans Square in 2 days. I sat and waited 2 hours for Fantasmic, and I won't even do that at WDW. I cried at fireworks just like I do at WDW. I told my daughter I'd gladly pay $116 just to stand on Main Street and soak in the Disney magic and never ride a thing, and I can do that on either coast. And it's amazing to be able to go from park to park in under 2 minutes - I didn't quite understand all the complaining about getting from park to park at WDW, and then I walked into the entrance plaza on Thursday morning and stared in amazement!

Anyway, thanks again HydroGuy for making it possible for us to cover all the highlights in 2 parks in 2 half days, and for this entire post for reminding us that DL fans love their park just as much as we WDW fans love our park. It made for a new perspective as we walked around - kept us much more open-minded and able to understand things that might have really irritated us otherwise.
Success! :banana:

You were one of those for which I wrote this guide, and I am sincerely glad my "labor of love" helped you get the most out of your visit.

DLR rocks. As does WDW. :cool1:

I am heading to DLR this Sunday, tacking on a day before I have a three-day meeting in China Lake. This guide will certainly help me. And, if nothing else, it gives me something fun to read on the plane!

Thanks so much for putting it together. You write very well (I have 25 years of professional/technical writing experience) and you've organized it very well.

I am in Maryland, so WDW is much closer to me. I did go to DLR about 35 years ago, and I see that there have been lots of changes.

And, no, I am not a WDW snob! It doesn't matter to me, it's all Disney!

Thanks again, and if I have any updates I'll let you know (shyness is not a problem for me!).

Oh, if you have any specific pointers for a one-day, starting around noon whirlwind tour of just DLR, please let me know. Feel free to PM me to avoid junking up your thread!

ttfn!

Just wonderful!!!!! I am a WDW vet (both with 60+ trips and a former CM) and haven't been to DL in 15+ years!!! We are planning a trip for January. Can't wait!!! :hourglass

Thanks HydroGuy,
I'll be going on a business trip with my DH in May to Vegas and wanted to go to DL but I didn't know anything about it. I'm so hooked on WDW. Thanks, again.

JayS said:
As a DLR AP holder and regular visitor, I'd say this is pretty much right on. I'm even adding this to our WDW planning folder as it has some good WDW-DLR comparison info...

On Six Flags Magic Mountain - if the thrill rides interest you, plan your trip soon. Six Flags is putting the park up for sale, and every indication is that it will probably be purchased by housing developers and closed permanently.

If you are speaking of The Six Flags Magic Mountain off the 5 freeway in valencia,ca. I believe you are mistaken. They are not closing down after all. That is why they are, in fact, expanding. I know this because my cousin works at Six Flags m.m/hurricane harbor as a security guard.

dohgusgus said:
If you are speaking of The Six Flags Magic Mountain off the 5 freeway in valencia,ca. I believe you are mistaken. They are not closing down after all. That is why they are, in fact, expanding. I know this because my cousin works at Six Flags m.m/hurricane harbor as a security guard.
When Jay posted this, there had been a recent article in one of the SoCal newspapers (LA Times??) about SFMM closing, and this info was also floating around the Internet. So it was accurate info when posted. I was aware of this when I created the OP, but since I hoped the thread would have a long shelf life I thought the SFMM info was too uncertain to be included in the OP.

Last I heard, SF was still seriously considering closing/selling SFMM. Apparently of the six SF parks in this situation, the one at the top of their list now is SF Elitch Gardens not far from us here in Colorado. There was an article in the local papers about Elitch a month or so ago and the issues with closing it and what might replace it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter