A Disneyland future themed resort in Texas?

DINOSAUR-ASTERIOD25

Earning My Ears
I know their has been a lot of talks of possibly Texas one day adding a 3rd US Disney theme park location in the past but I was wondering if their is still a possibility of it coming to Texas in the next decade or two. Since the 2 Disney resorts in the US seem to be just in Florida and California. I think TX being the second largest state in the country could house a third Disney site. But what city could it go in? Austin? A rapidly fast growing city, Houston 4th largest city in America, Dallas, San Antonio?

I’ve always wondered why this has not happened. Lots of sq footage here, population density, and price of land is still relatively cheap in areas as compared to other parts of the country. Could very well be supported by our own state population. A third park, no matter where it’s located could also help with the overload in the existing two.

I can't believe that this rumor keeps coming up! People need to realize it's never going to happen at least in the lifetime of anybody that's posting here now! Disney doesn't want to spend the money to update existing parks, especially WDW, to the degree they need to be updated to. They certainly are not going to spend the money to build a complete new park from the ground up. It would certainly take people away from the 2 existing parks is something to think doesn't want.

If anything we may eventually see a 5th gate at WDW but even that is a long way off.

There isn't a point. Travel is so cheap that Disney has no need to cannibalize what they have for another park. While Texas would be logical if there was a reason to create a third U.S. resort there is no business case to actually build one.

I know their has been a lot of talks of possibly Texas one day adding a 3rd US Disney theme park location in the past but I was wondering if their is still a possibility of it coming to Texas in the next decade or two. Since the 2 Disney resorts in the US seem to be just in Florida and California. I think TX being the second largest state in the country could house a third Disney site. But what city could it go in? Austin? A rapidly fast growing city, Houston 4th largest city in America, Dallas, San Antonio?

If anything new resorts and parks will only continue overseas, they have already tapped the American market and adding a third US property wouldn’t give them new visitors and revenue, but just spread out the revenue stream that currently exists.

I think a resort in Texas is more likely than a 5th gate in Florida. The most logical place to build one would be on the west side of Houston, so it's not too far from Galveston but not too far from Austin and San Antonio.

Pro- The north side of Houston makes a lot of sense for weather, water, major international airport near by, cheap labor, and crossroads of both east-west and north-south interstates. ~20 million people would be within 6-7 hours drive. It is west of the MIssissippi so you could have a dedicated Marvel park. Already have cruises out of Galveston. Add to that all the Latin American, Asian, and Mideast tourism in Houston.

A DIsneyland style park with the second park as completely Marvel Universe centric could work and offer something different from WDW and DL.

Con- DVC sales have people locked into WDW for decades to come so why take on the cost to add another park? 20 million people nearby could be another round of local pass holders issues like they've had to manage at DL. Houstonians could easily bring food from home and drive home at the end of the day and not generate much F&B nor hotel revenue.

Last edited:
It is damn hot in texas, hotter than florida and its hot year round (at least central and southern texas. West texas is nothing but rock until El Paso, Central texas is hilly and weird, northern texas gets winter weather, and houston, well...Houston is houston. Hot and smelly. There are no good locations for a disney park in texas.

Winter weather and water are issues for both San Antonio and Austin. Both are hotter than Houston in the summer.

We'll never know but it's still my pick if it does. Six Flags Fiesta Texas is now open Year Round and doing well.

We'll never know but it's still my pick if it does. Six Flags Fiesta Texas is now open Year Round and doing well.
Families aren't flying in from around the world for a $5-10K Fiesta Texas vacation. Nor do they have to make restaurant reservations 180 days out and ride reservations 60 days out.

I'd venture outside of families tagging along for a conference a parent is attending most Fiesta guests are within a 5 hour drive of home. 3 day cold snaps won't have quite the same effect as those families can go a different weekend.

Last edited:
I live in Oklahoma and have heard similar rumors for years. And while I’d love to have Disney closer than a 24 hr drive, I think the weather in the middle of the US is too unpredictable for Disney to seriously consider. My family has gone to Silver Dollar City in Branson for as long as I can remember...but twice last year I took my kids and they couldn’t ride anything. Once for a freak snow storm in late April, and the second for rain and lightening.

You're the CEO of Disney, you find yourself with the ability to finance something that could cost $10 billion. Do you invest that in new land, infrastructure, hotels, restaurants, AND a theme park in Texas or do you just build a new park in Orlando (with all the land, infrastructure, etc. already in place).

Look I live in Houston. There is an enormous amount of money and people in Texas for this sort of thing. But it's just not practicable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter