A Disneyland future themed resort in Texas?

This has popped up year after year. For a while, the rumor was Disney was prospecting land out by HWY 99 and I-10 in Katy, maybe slightly further West. Katy is about 20 miles West of Houston. I live in Katy, and it was quite the talk of the town. But then we all learned it was just a fake rumor, and stopped paying attention. Now, all of that land is developed, so I don't know where they would go from there. The most logical place would be possibly somewhere up HWY 59 near Cleveland or something, with quick, easy access to IAH.

But this is fake, so don't believe it. I first heard about it in 2002-ish.

Isn’t Fiesta Texas’s seasonally operated park? Disney doesn’t do seasonal. That being said, they don’t need a 5th gate in Florida, It’s a cash cow as is.
Native Texan here and I respectfully disagree. Texas is an extremely business friendly state, and our legislature would bend over backwards to get Disney and the money it would bring. I just drove through Texas on the way to California, and there’s tons of land.

Furthermore, I don’t get the argument that you only build a park where people already vacation. If you build it, they will come, and you’ll get people from Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Mexico and that’s just the states within driving distance.

There are lots of reasons this may never happen, but not for the reasons mentioned above.
You will not see another domestic Disney park or a 5th gate anytime soon all you have to do is look at what their current strategy is to see that. They are still building out the parks they currently have which is far cheaper than a new location or a 5th gate. You have newer attractions coming to HS, Epcot, Magic Kingdom and I am sure AK has plans for more attractions in addition to building more room capacity with Rivera and Reflections coming. All this cost money and Disney isn’t gonna do all of this and add a new park or 5 th gate while this is going on since they will get crushed if a recession like the one that started in 2007 were to hit again. They keep adding room and ride / attraction capacity and the crowds get bigger and bigger every year even with the price increases.

Rather than a new park right out of the gate, my wife and I were discussing the advantages of opening a World of Disney Emporium store in the middle of the U.S. Why not in Texas. This is a win win for Disney. It would help drive demand while creating a profit center. They could bring in temporary shows and productions to support the sales. The small Disney stores are too small and fail to have a real selection of products. Done right, this could feed the demand for travel to the parks, here and abroad.

Just a thought....

Texas is getting bigger port hubs for the huge ships...I could see them parking a ship here and creating a park 90 miles inland- but it would have to be exceptionally unique- our weather is intolerable in the summers and mosquitos are abundant...I could see an Aulani/Vero Beach resort with a Toy Story snake in my boots theme- Wild Wild West with a few coasters.

I agree about the weather in Texas not being suitable for a park. Either too hot, wet, cold, blizzards or needing to evacuate because of flooding or hurricanes, plus the bugs, snakes and gators are Texas sized are numerous, and let us not forget about fire ants and armadillos. Walking barefoot here is not an option, besides St. Augustine grass is not pleasant to walk on either. I used to think the weather in Houston was similar to Orlando but the last few years has proven me wrong. It is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer, plus we really can get an actual hurricane, not just the remnants of one, all thanks to climate change.

I just don't think Disney would choose Texas today although everyone thought Walt was crazy buying land in the middle of a swamp in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!