• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Disney Trip of a Lifetime... A trip to TDR, WDW, UOR, SWO, DLR - COMPLETED 12 March

I just read your whole report! I'm loving it! I wish I had the time to go on a magnificent trip like that!

Also, my dream is to go to Australia! You're so lucky to live there!

Thanks :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm getting a little sad that i'm almost at the end. Reliving the trip has been great. Yes we were very blessed to be able to take this trip! I work for the state government here in WA and we can purchase extra leave which mean't we could take more time. Perhaps one day you will have some time on your hands to go :)

Australia is a beautiful place to visit. I have seen a lot of it and it has a little something for everyone. We even have our own theme parks on the Gold Coast (though they are of course not to the level of Disney). I hope one day you get out here. Thanks for reading

We were super organised on our second day at the Disneyland Resort. Yes indeed, we were up and waiting at the bag check by 6:30am! I was so proud of myself for being so early to early entry! I can’t normally force myself up that early but at Disney it’s just so much easier! When we got to the bag check (we were still being held there and weren't allowed into the entry plaza yet) there were only about 20 people in front of us. We were happy that this would mean we’d get to ride Radiator Racers with little to no wait. While we waited in line I had a chat to a few lovely families. With the first family we chatted about our experiences at all the different Disney parks we’d just been to. They were locals, and came to Disneyland every now and then but had never ventured to the other parks. It was so lovely to have someone so interested in information and my thoughts on the other parks; of course I did tell her Disneyland is still my favorite. Tokyo comes so so close, but still can’t quiet beat the emotional connection I feel to Disneyland. The second family wanted our advice on how to get their Photopass Plus card and how to get around DCA. It was so weird to have me, an Aussie, giving an American family advice about a DLR park, but then I do live and breathe Disney. Her son was ready to race to Radiator Racer’s as they’d never been on it before and we did see him in the line when we finally made it!

Being early for early entry completely paid off when we got to Radiator Racers and waited just 5 minutes to hop on the ride! We had hoped to win (hence the no.1 poses) but alas, we did not!

After our first ride we decided we’d like to ride again. Of course by that point the wait was 50 minutes (yes, after just 15 minutes after early entry opening!) but we just hopped in the good old single rider line and were once again on the ride in 5 minutes. My car actually did win this time (the first time I’d ever actually won a race on this ride I think!) so I had to grab the ride photo! Look how crazy my hair is!

Having got our must do ride out of the way (twice) before the park was even open we felt happy enough to slow down and get some pictures of Carsland. It was the emptiest I have ever seen it, everybody was already in the Radiator Racer’s line by that point and we therefore had a great opportunity for photos!

I was so sad when this photo didn’t come out (stupid light blob!). I love the hitch hiking pose! I’ve done what I can with it…

Not the best version of this photo – check out the one we took in 2012! I shall pretend we took it on this trip!

The lighting was not great at that time of the morning but still, how often is Carsland this empty!

Another picture that worked!

I know this picture is completely overexposed but for some reason I really like it

And again with the overexposure, see how bad the light was! But once again, the sunburst adds something different to this photo.

The Carsland Christmas decorations were quiet interesting. The use of tires was very innovative!

Our next priority was Toy Story Mania. The park was just about to open we were glad to get on before the crowds descended. We only had to wait 5 minutes! I got an awful score of 58000 and Jared got 138000. Neither of us did brilliantly, but it was definitely fun! After Toy Story Mania we made our way to California Screamin’ and hopped on with no wait. At this point I was marveling at how easy it had been to get on headliner attractions even during Thanksgiving week with a little planning and an early start to the day! I had been really nervous about how busy the parks could get at one of the busiest times of the year but we very really felt that level of craziness as we always toured in the mornings/early arvo and evenings and did all the headliner attractions first thing! I must thank Touring Plans for helping me out and putting my mind at ease about touring Disneyland at Thanksgiving. I will say this, it is very possible to have a wonderful time the week before Thanksgiving even with 9 or 10 level crowds if you have a plan, know which attractions are your must do’s and are willing to get up early!

We took the opportunity to take a few pictures of the Pier.

Continued in next post...

Our last priority for the morning was Soarin. Since its slow loading we thought we should do it now while the lines were short. We had ummed and ahhed over getting a FP for Soarin as we wanted to try get an evening FP for Radiator Racers after the line died down a bit (it was still stretched into Hollywood Land at this time) until we remembered that the Radiator Racers FPs aren't tied into the parks FP system and you can hold one and another FP at the same time! We waited about 10 minutes to ride and the grabbed a FP for 11:10am  12:10am.

After Soarin we decided we needed more photos.

Not sure how this fits in but hey, heres the dreaded tower!

Heading back to Buena Vista Street

And then we found another Photopass photographer, in front of the DCA partners statue.

We hadn't had breakfast yet and we were very hungry so we decided to go eat at the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café (whatever that means). This was possibly our longest wait of the day, probably around 30 minutes to get to the front of the line. The food was pretty average too. However, it did kill some time and by the time we were done with breakfast the Radiator Racers FP line had diminished enough for us to consider getting in it.

The FP return time was at 7:15  8:15 by the time we got in line and we had been hoping to get one for after the showing of WOC  Winter Dreams we were going to see, which started at 7:45pm. Since we knew the return time changed every minute or so we figured that by the time we got to the FP machine it would be about the perfect time. When we arrived about 10 minutes later we got our FP for 8:35  9:35pm which made us very very happy. With a little planning, luck and of course, willingness to get up early, we were going to be able to ride Radiator Racers 3 times in one day during Thanksgiving week! We were so proud of ourselves!

We made our around Buena Vista to get some photos. The crowds made pictures tough!

We made our way slowly towards Paradise Pier, heading through Condor Flats and the beautiful Grizzly Peak to take in the scenery.

I love this photo of Jared!

The Grizzly Peak sign completely ruined by Planes!

Wed decided it was a little too cold for a trip on the Grizzly River Rapids so we instead admired the people on the ride from afar!

After all the diversions it was onto the Little Mermaid Ride. After the Little Mermaid we went over to one of my favorite carnival style rides, the Silly Symphony Swings. I think I love the swing rides so much as I have such fond memories of them from my childhood. It was the one ride I always wanted to ride at the Royal Show (a kind of carnival/fair that comes to Perth every year in Sept/Oct, though much much bigger than your average carnival or fair)

On our way our out of Paradise Pier we spotted a Photopass photographer. You may have worked out by this point that it was an unwritten rule that we must stop and pose whenever we saw a Photopass photographer. So pose we did. I really love how these photos turned out.

We tried the ears of shame pose!

We still had a little time after all this before our Soarin’ FP’s were available and we discussed going on the fun wheel but the wait was 20 minutes by this stage and as we didn't really have that long before our FP we decided to do California Screamin’ as single riders. 20 minutes was ironically how long we would wait for the ride as it broke down for a short time, but I suppose we would have waited longer had we been in the regular line and who knows with Toy Story how long a 20 minute wait actually is! I did get this cute photo though. Once again it’s a just photo of just me!

We noticed when walking past Toy Storia Mania that the wait was now up to 60 minutes and we were glad we’d got that one out of the way early! We really had to make haste to Soarin’ to make our FP’s and we got there with a few minutes to spare! Much to my dismay we were put in row 3, which I hate! I was grumbling about it when, as we all filed in, we realized there were no more seats available in row 3! We approached a cast member about it and he said well there’s two seats spare in row 2 so I guess you were meant to be in that row! I was a little annoyed at that comment as the cast member who loaded us definitely said row 3 (I am not a stupid guest who can’t follow instructions) but I was happy that we at least didn't have to have two rows of feet above us for the ride!

After Soarin’ we had decided to catch the next animation academy before lunch. I’d always wanted to try it but we never seemed to be able to fit it in, however, we had time before lunch and knew we’d not be getting on any rides (the park was getting a little crazy by then) so it was a perfect fit. We drew daisy duck and unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the drawings for you to see but I will say that mine looked way too thin and Jared’s looked like a frog! We are clearly not artists!

Before lunch at Carthay Circle I met a few of the citizens of Buena Vista Street. We had a wonderful conversation (though about what I don’t really remember now) and they kindly consented to a photograph!

Lunch at Carthay Circle was lovely. I was so impressed by the portion sizes. Usually everything in America is so huge I struggle to finish just an entrée (main) but Carthay’s portions were great. We both had salads followed by an amazing pasta and finished the whole thing off with a slice of birthday chocolate cake! I thought I was past candles after Orlando, but I was still wearing my birthday button and so, once again, I celebrated my birthday!

After lunch we made our way to the Hyperion Theatre for the next showing of Aladdin a Musical Spectacular.

The Aladdin show is always well done and always funny (mainly thanks to Genie) and I never get sick of watching it! We very excited to see the flying carpet in the A Whole New World sequence was back up and running. It had been non-operational on our last visit after safety concerns were raised when performers fell from it in 2011. The show had to stop half way through due to technical difficulties which was a new experience and drew out the length of the show!

We knew we had to go pick up our ride photo taken on Space Mountain from the day before (tell me, have you been waiting in suspense to see it!) so we hurried on over to Disneyland. This is the long awaited Space Mountain shot

Of course we needed some better Castle shots that the ones we got the day before, which had been so awful because we were squinting into the sun. It was the perfect time of the afternoon now so we got some more shots, by the same Photopass photographer and they turned out lovely!

I think this is my favorite (Jared’s “Prince” pose as he was instructed to do by the photographer!). The ears really add something too don’t they!

On our way out of the park we stopped for a few photos in front of the train station.

We were in a weird position by this point. We’d planned to leave DCA after the Aladdin show and hopefully have plenty of time to rest before dinner and WOC – Winter Dreams. Of course, I don’t think we realized how long Aladdin would go or that we would have things to do at Disneyland afterwards so it was 4pm and we had to be out for dinner at 5. Rather than going back to the hotel when we’d need to be back in Downtown Disney for dinner at Rainforrest Café we decided to relax in the Grand Californian Lobby. It was a good, if not quick, break and I got to chat with my lovely Mum on the phone so that made the whole thing very enjoyable! At 4:50 we made our way to dinner. We didn’t have a reservation at Rainforrest Café and so when we got there to discover the waiting time for a table was an hour (we planned to line up for a spot for WOC by 6:45pm) we considered going elsewhere. However, the maître d then offered to seat us in 20 minutes if we choose an outdoor table and we were happy enough to do that. After 20 minutes our name was called and we were seated inside after all! A lot of stress about nothing I guess!

We made it to the Pier in plenty of time to grad a good railing spot for World of Color. I have to say that the Carthay Circle reserved viewing area is pretty average. Last time we saw World of Color we booked the dining package through Wine Country Trattoria, and seeing how much closer that viewing area was to the lagoon, I will be doing that in the future! The Carthay Circle location was not the best, too far back but at least we had a railing position. While we waited a lovely CM came over to chat to us and informed Jared that there would be an interactive phone app come online shortly where he could play a memory game that used the lights on Mickeys Fun Wheel. Whoever won the game apparently got to control the lights on the wheel during a segment of the show. Jared tried very hard but didn't win, much to his disappointment. His male mind was salivating over the idea of being able to control such big and powerful lighting equipment during such a production!

So how was World of Color – Winter Dreams? Well, in my opinion a little disappointing. I was trying to keep an open mind about this having had my doubts about how I’d feel about a World of Color type show devoted to Christmas with a host whose movie had not yet been released. I love the original version so so much and was gutted to discover we would not be able to see it on our trip this time around. I have nothing against Christmas, or carols or winter but I feared that a show based upon these things would not have the wonder and awe of the original show, with its beautifully crafted Disney moments connected through music. I know a lot of people complain about World of Color’s lack of story and all I have to say about that is ‘so what’. A show like World of Color doesn't need a story, its connections lie between the beauty of the fountains and projections and the brilliance of the Disney soundtrack the ties it all together in an celebration of the wonder of Disney’s greatest asset, its musical genius. It’s about wonder, awe and music, not about telling a story and I think people that don’t get that probably don’t understand a lot of things about art, dance and music. Anyway, I was a little worried because I’d read the line-up of what the sections of the show would be (a Christmas sing a long, the nutcracker by Toy Story, songs from Frozen etc) and didn't think it could hold my attention and capture my inner child the way the original show did. Well I was pretty much right about that.

In order not to completely dwell on the negative aspects of this show I will start with what I enjoyed about it. Obviously I marveled at the beauty of the dancing fountains in the show and the artistry of it, as well as the technological marvel of the projections. I also love the colors, the bright and captivating colors. Well Winter Dreams did have a number of technologically brilliant additions in the form of lasers, the way the projections moved and the use of the fountains. I really enjoyed that. There were a number of moving moments including Let it Go from Frozen and a beautiful version of I See The Light from Tangled as well as some rousing carols in the sing along (I particularly enjoyed Feliz Navidad). Mostly, when it was colorful, the colors were amazing and bright, much like Christmas lights, which I love. However, there were many scenes that seemed to lack color, sometimes to great effect (such as the Frozen scene) and other times they just seemed washed out.

But aside from that there were many negatives to find with the show. The first and biggest was its host, Oalf. Childish and stupid, he was based off a movie that at that time, no one had seen, so I’m not really sure what Disney was thinking by using him as they couldn't have hoped for any kind of reminiscent appreciation of him. Having seen Frozen now, which by the way I loved, I understand his character better but it doesn't endear me to his performance in winter dreams, just makes me realize they only showed his lamest sides in that show. There was a lot of reliance on newer movies and a lack of the real Disney classics (sure Bambi is old and well-loved but musically, not a classic in any sense and this show really is about its music and how the colors and fountains and projections move to that music). It also felt like they didn't have enough material to fill the 30 minute show so many of the sections were too long. I found the choir thing at the beginning pretty boring too.

The essence of my disappointment in the show boils down to this, I felt it had no heart and no center. For as much as Christmas usually inspires in me a feeling of ‘peace on earth’ and ‘goodwill to all men’ I didn't feel that hugely in the show, except towards the end. It felt piecemeal and too much a mixture of corny Christmas foolishness along with winter and musical segments only tentatively linked to Christmas that only fit because it was a seasonal show. Its moving bits were indeed moving but I feel its lighter moments needed work. And the constant chopping and changing from one to the other made me feel it no had no constant theme other than Christmas/Winter (which in my view is a weak theme because it is done everywhere, Disney’s greatest moments works better in a Disney park). It also had no build up to the really great moments in the show. In the original show it starts out light and fun, builds its way into serious and then into dark and finally back into an emotional finale. I felt Winter Dreams really missed that build up as it’s best moments came at the beginning and it’s silliest at the end.

Anyway, now that I’ve given you my in-depth review of the show, here are some picture.

I swear those annoying light towers did not exist the last time we watched this show!

And as you can see even on a railing position we were too far back not to have some heads blocking our view!

Of course we had one more thing to look forward to that evening and that was one more trip on Radiator Racers. I was so glad to have managed a FP for the ride at night, as it’s truly beautiful and very different during the evening. My advice to anyone wanting to ride the ride more than once is to get to the park 30 minutes – 1 hour before opening on a day without early entry (unless you are staying on property, then do that on a day with early entry) and go straight to the ride from rope drop (don’t bother waiting in the FP line then). After your ride keep an eye on the line and when it dies down obtain a FP for the evening to ride in a totally different environment. If you don’t get to the park early enough to find a small enough line for the ride at opening, do single rider if you can. That is my plan of attack for Radiator Racer’s and so far it’s worked well. Also note that single riders MAY be in the same car or in the car racing others in their party. It has happened to Jared and I before. Anyway, Carsland at night is always fun but the Christmas lights made it beautiful!

I do love this photo, can’t believe no one was standing on the Route 66 sign

We found a Photopass photographer and got some lovely night photos – look at all those people though, this is how I remember Carsland from our last trip! That morning during early entry it had been so strange and empty.

I get really annoyed at people who walk through Photopass photos. I mean people in the background are inevitable but that lady in the gray jumper on our right could have walked a little wider to not appear IN our photo!

Once we got back to our hotel we calculated that today had been a 14.5 hour one with only a 40 minutes break and dinner outside the parks! No wonder we felt so exhausted and tired. We had our Walking in Walt’s Footsteps Tour booked for 9:30am the next day and though we had planned to get up for early entry for DCA and get a few more rides at the popular attractions in both parks but both knew we would never be able to make ourselves get up that early! We were also happy with the number of times we’d done each of our must do attractions (the only exception being Space Mountain but then again we’d had plenty of goes on other Space Mountains in our trip). We also had to check out the next morning before heading to the parks and that would make getting up earlier tricky. At the end of the day we were grateful of our decision when we woke up well rested the next day.

I have so enjoyed this TR and am going to be sad when it ends! Thank you for letting us experience so many different parks with you. I have loved all the photos! The pictures of you and your husband in front of the castle with you wearing your ears turned out wonderful!!

I have so enjoyed this TR and am going to be sad when it ends! Thank you for letting us experience so many different parks with you. I have loved all the photos! The pictures of you and your husband in front of the castle with you wearing your ears turned out wonderful!!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you have enjoyed the report.. I finished writing it today though I haven't quiet posted the last day yet and I was so sad to finish it knowing I wouldn't be reliving the trip anymore! I love those photos too (I always look better with my hair down but it's usually not practical) I was so happy to get some nice castle shots with him! Thanks for reading along

Today was the last day of our month long holiday, and I did wake up a little depressed about that fact. It felt like we had been planning this holiday for so long (a few years really) and now it was almost over. While I was sad, I instead decided to focus on the positives and really enjoy our last day at the happiest place on earth.

When we got down to the lobby of the Paradise Pier Hotel we ran into Santa!
I said hi to him and he asked where I hailed from and I said Australia and he said “Oh yes, you live in Melbourne” (obviously confusing me with another Australian guest he had bumped into) so I had to inform him that no I live in Perth. However to make him feel better I also told him I was born in Melbourne. Rather than come out of character and be all flustered by his mistake Santa simply said, “Yes I remember delivering presents to you there when you were a little girl!” – it was so adorable! Soon after Jared came over and somehow the conversation came around to Christmas Eve. He told Jared not to stay up too late this Christmas Eve like he did last Christmas Eve otherwise he wouldn't be able to deliver his presents! The funny thing was we were up really late last Christmas eve!

After our meeting with Santa we made our way into Disneyland for the last time. It was our last day in any theme park and our last day of the trip so we were feeling a bit contemplative which was perfect, since it was our very first Thanksgiving (Australian’s don’t celebrate any kind of Thanksgiving) and we had plenty to be thankful for. We spend a few minutes as we walked listing those things in life we were thankful for and those moments of our trip that we were thankful for. Then, as we walked into Downtown Disney the Enchanted Suite from Enchanted began to play. If you aren't aware the Enchanted Suite is a mixture of the soundtrack of all the songs played in the movie Enchanted beautifully put together, song’s like True Love’s Kiss, Happy Working Song, How do you know and my favorite, So Close. It’s all instrumental and beautiful and I often play it in the car at home when I just want to feel I’m at a Disney park again, because that music fills me with the same sense of the wonder and imagination I feel at Disneyland and the other Disney parks around the world. So of course, to hear it playing on the very last day of our Disney Trip of a Lifetime felt like a moment of Disney magic designed just for us to farewell us from this trip we’d taken to so many Disney parks around the world and to remind us that if we keep imagination, wonder and love close we are never far from them. I almost cried! I really did! After that Zip A Dee Doo Dah started playing (which is one of Jared’s favorite rides songs) and we just somehow knew it would be a really good last day of this most wonderful holiday.

Today was of course our Walk in Walt’s Footsteps Tour day. We were very excited to have a guided tour of the parks and its historic attractions as well as hear Walt’s vision for each land and place within Disneyland. We were especially excited to be able have a peak in the Club 33 lobby and get a look at Walt’s apartment above the Fire Station on Main Street! We arrived at the Disney Tour Gardens at 9am, as instructed and found we were the only one’s there. Jared went to get some coffee. I sat on a bench and watch the people streaming into Disneyland, who all looked very happy and content to be there. It was so relaxing, an unusual feeling for such a busy day in the park.

We were soon met by our tour guide, Mychael and the other guests in our group. We had two other families with us, one from Colorado and one from Oregon. Mycheal told us before we introduced ourselves that we’d have a little competition to see who had come the farthest to be at Disneyland on Thanksgiving and the winner would get a quick clap. Of course, Jared and I won having come all the way from Australia. We were also given audio devices which were used so we could always hear our guide, as well as to play clips of Walt talking about certain areas of the park.

To preface the information about the tour, I wasn't really able to take notes while we were doing it so the information I have here is from my memory triggered by the photos I took. I will try remembering as much as I can but this part of the report may be a little sketchy!

We started off the tour on Main Street. Walking down it Mychael pointed out some of the names in the windows and explained the significance of the honor of being given a Disneyland window. We also saw the Dapper Dan’s doing their Christmas carol line up which was fun.

We had listened to the dedication speech of Disneyland while standing near the dedication plaque and as we moved towards the hub we listened to more of Walt talking about how Disney was designed so that guests would always have a central plaza to refer to in case they got lost.

After that we walked on through the Sleeping Beauty castle to Fantasyland

As we approached each land we were given a clip of Walt’s dedication of each land from opening day in 1955. It was so surreal to see the park as you heard his voice speaking through the ages, imagining how different everything would have looked back then. It really gave you a sense of the history this park has and just how important it is to what the Disney Company has become today.

Once in Fantasyland we stopped at an opening day attraction, Peter Pan’s Flight. Of course as I mentioned earlier Jared and I have never stopped and taking the time to try any of the dark rides in Fantasyland so we were looking forward to this. Mychael was able to take us through the exit of the ride and we flew off to Neverland. That this ride was an opening day attraction really flaws me; it is so cleverly designed and has a few pretty cool effects. I really enjoyed it and it will be made a priority ride on our next visit!

After Fantasyland we proceeded into Frontierland. I believe we talked a little here about Walt’s love of the Diamond Horseshoe Review and how he invited friends and family for the first ride on the Mark Twain before the park opened in 1955.

We were also shown a tree stump donated by Lillian Disney, don’t remember why now though!

The next logical stop was New Orleans Square. Walt had a vision for the New Orleans Square area that included an exclusive club where he could take visiting dignitaries and so Club 33 was born. It is named for its address, which is 33 Royal Street.

We all got awfully excited at this point. Mycheal told us how hard it is to get into the club unless you are a member of the guest of a member and suggested that we’d have to pretend one of us was visiting royalty to manage it. Hence one of our tour companions joked she was the Queen of Persia and that’s what we referred to her as for the rest of the tour.

Inside the Club 33 lobby is very small. We had a few details pointed out to us including the French elevator famously recreated after a French hotel refused to sell Walt theirs. It is rich and ornate but the darkness of it all makes it feel very small. Of course, I can see why they are in the process of building a new entry area to the club.

Even still we had gotten far further into the club than any normal Disney guest could hope to and for that we were extremely happy.

Outside we made our way through New Orleans Square and onto the Disneyland Railroad

Aboard the railroad we saw a few lovely sights and got a chance to rest our feet.

We soon arrived at our destination, Tommorowland.

We had a brief lesson about the 1959 expansion of Tommorowland which bought three new classic attractions to the area, the submarine voyage, the Matterhorn and of course, the Monorail. I have rarely explored this part of Tommorowland, in fact many of the paths between lands we were taken through were sort of less frequent paths so it was almost like seeing Disneyland from a whole new perspective.

We Australian’s love our loopy Aussie seagulls!

We wandered back towards it’s a small world next and our discussion turned to the 1964 World’s Fair.

This conversation bought us to our final attraction destination of the tour, Great Moments with Mr Lincoln. Since we are Australian’s we've never taken the time to see this show however it is considered a classic showing off the very first full articulated audio animatronic. A true feat of Disney’s great engineering.

We finally got some shots of Main Street I liked on the way

The show was ok, I guess. I am not an American so much like the American Adventure the patriotism of it was lost on me. However it was nice to sit for a while! After the show Mychael began talking about Walt’s death and how he did not get to see his biggest dream, Walt Disney World, implemented. It was extremely sad and we were all a bit teary by this point. Then, Mychael told us he’d be playing a clip of Walt’s favorite song, Feed the Birds from Mary Poppins as we made our way to our final destination. This song always makes me blubber and I had to work very hard not to burst into tears right there on Main Street. It is a very beautiful song about compassion and helping others and it speaks to me on such a deep level and in some small way whenever I hear it now, knowing that Walt loved the song so much, I feel like he’s around. He was all about helping others, entertaining them and giving them ways to escape the hardships of life.

Our final destination was the most anticipated, our tour of Walt’s apartment above the fireplace. The room was small but beautifully appointed in a rich Victorian style. Lillian Disney apparently loved roses so they are everywhere around the place. Other than the carpet, which had to be replaced, everything is the same as it was when Walt stayed there. Our hosts (who Mychael handed us over to for the apartment tour) told us how Walt basically slept in that apartment the whole year Disneyland was being built so he could oversee everything that went on. Man, that’s dedication to his dream! There were two sofas’ that folded out into single beds, one side being for Walt and the other side for Lillian. While the apartment is beautifully historic (even for 1955) the bathroom and little kitchenette had many relatively modern amenities (well modern for 1955). Our hosts also pointed out the lamp that usually sits on in the window. This lamp was always on when Walt was at Disneyland as a way for the cast members to be aware he was around. Now it stays on eternally, as a symbol that Walt still watches over his creation. However, it was Christmas so the lamp had been moved to another table to make room for a small Christmas tree. As a final anecdote we were told a story which came from one of the original Mousekeeters, Sharon, who remembered being in the apartment with Walt in 1955 as the parks gates opened for the first time. She remembers seeing a tear stream down his face as so many people packed into the park that day. Seeing his dream realized when so many people had told him he couldn't do it had bought him to tears! That is the true legacy of the great man who created this thing we have all come to love and cherish, the essence of Disney is a heart of compassion, a hard working attitude and a belief that all dreams are possible if you work hard and believe in yourself. I think that was what we felt on the tour; a sense of that heart of Disney keeps alive so beautifully at Disneyland by the staff there who continue to honor his memory. We were allowed to have a quick picture in the apartment.

[/URL}

[URL=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/RachelleBeaney/media/Disneyland%202013/DSCN0120_zpsdd1d91e8.jpg.html]

After that the official tour concluded. It had taken about 3 hours, though I know from my report of it it doesn't sound like it would have. We were given so much information about the parks and Walt and his legacy and it was truly the perfect experience for us on the last day of such a huge and wonderful Disney theme park trip!

After the tour we were given lunch in the Tour Gardens area which is a beautiful private outdoor terrace the overlooks one the train station entrance ways. Lunch was really delicious. I had a caprice sandwich and Jared a turkey one (he decided it was appropriate for Thanksgiving). For dessert I got this really delicious Matterhorn Macaroon!

It was so cute too!

My creepy face aside I was really enjoying myself!

After lunch we spent a while chatting with Mychael about Disney. Finally he had to leave and go about his work and we spent the next hour or so chatting to the family from Colorado who had been on the tour with us. I forgot to mention before as we were about to go into Club 33 and were waiting from Mychael to open the door for us the father asked me if I’d ever been to Colorado as I looked just like a customer he often gets at his automotive shop! Of course I've never been to Colorado and told him as much but it sounds like I might have a doppleganger running around where this guy lives!

The family was wonderful, they were completely Disney-a-files and visited Disneyland a few times each year. They were also DVC members. It was so great to chat to someone who gets your love of Disney and your need to keep coming back to visit. We continued to chat about how cold Colorado gets in the winter (freezing apparently) and Jared and I explained how hot Perth can get in the summer. We then told them we were celebrating our very first Thanksgiving, which was something quiet hard for them to wrap their minds around! It was about 2pm at this stage and we didn't have to be back at the hotel until 4:30 so we had a bit of our own time in the park. Our priority was to get another go on Splash Mountain so we could get a decent ride photo. We decided to catch the train as we were feeling full and lazy.

We FP Splash when we saw a 40 minute line for just half an hour away (seriously, why do people wait in 40 minute lines when they could just get a FP and do something else for that time!)

While we waited for a FP’s to be good we headed to our next priority of the day, a ride on Pirates of the Caribbean. We hadn't made it onto this ride on our last trip as, with my anxiety acting up, I felt like it would be too dark and scary! Riding this version of the ride again just reiterated to me why this is the best version of Pirates anywhere in the world (well I haven’t been on Paris’ version yet). I mean, there are two drops, better looking caverns in the dead men tell no tales section of the ride, way better special effects and the addition of the Blue Bayou which just gets you straight into the pirate atmosphere. It is also much darker and longer than the other versions. I’m really glad we rode this version on this trip!

After Pirates we went back to Splash and though we got our ride photo, and I’m sure we added to our account I cannot for the life of me find it! So sad!

We had some time after Splash but we’d completely all our must do’s for the park so we decided to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. We wandered through New Orleans Square and into Frontierland. It was at that moment we saw the Mark Twain docking and we decided that would be a great way to end our visit to the Disneyland Resort so we hopped on board. We were lucky enough to get chairs on the front bow. Here’s what we saw along the way.

The back end of the Rivers of America is so beautiful and peaceful! It was a perfect and relaxing way to end our day!

Finally we made our last stroll out through to Main Street. We quickly saw these guys on the way! Love this movie so much!

And then it was time to leave the happiest place on earth. It was probably a good thing as it was getting very crowded! We had to take a few more photos though.

I love this shot with the balloon in the corner!

And now one without the balloon

Our last look at the wonderful tunnel plaques

These next photos have become a tradition of sorts as we took some on our first trip and it has just become what we do. We take two photos of me near the light post in the plaza in front of both parks, one where I am happy because we have visited and another where I am sad because we have to leave!

When we got back to the hotel we had about half an hour before our shuttle would be there to pick us up and we were wondering how to kill the time when an amazing quartet of acapella singers doing Christmas carols appeared! They were amazing! We listened to almost their whole set, even singing along at one point when they asked us too. It was such a wonderful wonderful farewell to the Disneyland resort and completely put us in a Christmas mood!

We made our way to the airport, excited, for once, about the flight home as we would be in business class. Our shuttle driver Donald, was amazing. He had so much knowledge of Australia, even its politics (which even most Australian’s don’t care about!) and we had a wonderful time chatting with his as we made our way to the airport. When we arrived and checked in we were offered row 5 in Virgin business class which is a section of business class completely closed off from the other part of the area with a curtain for privacy. It was like having our own private cabin! I’d never flown business class before, and Jared hadn’t for such a long flight and it was truly wonderful. I don’t think a 15 hour flight has ever gone so quickly!

And that brings us to the end of our Disney Trip of a Lifetime. Looking back on it now it’s hard to believe that it was only 2 months ago. It feels like a life time. We had such a wonderful trip filled with wonderful memories and got to do what many people only get to dream about, visiting so many theme parks and Disney resorts in one go. We felt truly blessed and thankful to have had the experiences we had and the ability to go on such a long and fun adventure together. I hope you have all enjoyed reading along and I thought I’d let you know that we have started planning our next trip for February-March 2015 which will include a Caribbean Disney Cruise, a stay at Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando for an Adventure at the newly opened Diagon Alley, two days at WDW and a 5 day experience at Disneyland (oh and a trip to New York!). I’m so excited and glad to be able to be planning another wonderful trip.

For me the remembrances of my trip continue as I make photobook memories of the trip. I have just finished the first book (Tokyo, Tokyo Disney and Disneyland Resort) and am in the process of starting the book covering the Orlando part of the trip. I though I’d share screen shots of the pages with you so the experience can continue. To continue onto these screen shots click here.

Otherwise thank you so much for reading! I hope you’ve enjoyed my tale of one Disney fanatics Disney Trip of a Lifetime!

Thanks again for writing about your trip! I've enjoyed reading it all.

I know earlier in the thread I talked about wanting to go to Tokyo Disneyland - well my flight is booked! I'll be going in April of this year!

You guys will fall in love with the cruise!

Thanks again for writing about your trip! I've enjoyed reading it all.

I know earlier in the thread I talked about wanting to go to Tokyo Disneyland - well my flight is booked! I'll be going in April of this year!

You guys will fall in love with the cruise!

Your welcome! I've really enjoyed writing the report :)... So excited that you've booked your trip to Tokyo Disney.. You will have an amazing time I'm sure! Will you be aren't Japan too? It's such a great country! I'm really excited about the cruise .. It's something different and much more relaxing that our normal trips!

Your welcome! I've really enjoyed writing the report :)... So excited that you've booked your trip to Tokyo Disney.. You will have an amazing time I'm sure! Will you be aren't Japan too? It's such a great country! I'm really excited about the cruise .. It's something different and much more relaxing that our normal trips!

I'm going to try and make a day trip to Kyota but we will see. I'll have a few days in Tokyo before I check out the parks.

Finally caught up with the second half of your trip from Orlando. Have enjoyed every minute and LOVE your photobook pages by the way. I also now do these - as well as easy for others (or us) to look through, also takes up a lot less space than my old photo albums and scrapbook ones. Thanks for taking the effort of sharing. We are planning our first trip to Universal Orlando and I hope Discovery Cove later this year with a second visit to WDW so soaking up all the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter