A DDP Observation

Lewisc said:
I'd like to see the CS dessert become a second snack, if Disney wants to save money just make guests use their snack credit if they want dessert with their CS meal. What would you suggest Disney do about "too much food"? Give guests the choice of appetizer or dessert? Get rid of a full appetizer in favor of just soup or salad? Get rid of dessert, out of pocket if you want it? Reduce the portion sizes of all three courses? Assume the actual savings in food cost is small enough so the price of the plan will stay the same no matter what option Disney decides to do.

I look at the dining plan as a buffet. You're not going to eat everything that's available.

The QS/quick service meal with a snack instead of the dessert would be great. We have found the snack credit to be the most flexible part of the plan.

As to the too much food, I don't have a problem with it, I am sure it is fine for some and would not want Disney to change it, just an observation on our experience.

We have enjoyed a few desserts at the TS but one at QS and one at TS on the same day is too much for us personally.

We have gotten some to go, but find ourselves not wanting them later either.

As you said we look at as a buffet, sometimes we don't get dessert on the buffet. I guess for some of us who were raised not to be wasteful of food, it's hard to throw it away. So a few times we simply did not order the desserts. That is harder to do on TS as the servers really want you to order everything.

I didn't suggest that we purposefully ordered the most expensive thing on the menu to maximize the plan. What I meant was that we used the opportunity to go to restaurants that we hadn't tried before and taste new things. I was shocked to hear a poster say that a drink, appetizer, entree, and dessert was just enough food to hold you over. We found it to be too much and ended up sharing meals. Figuring out ways to go to many restaurants and maximize the DDP was fun for us.

at some places the full meal is tiny. At le cellier i had a fruit & cheese plate that I didnt like a whole lot of but it probably was decent size. My meal I cant remember exactly but it was a small steak and 1 serving of veggie i mean a real one serving not the huge serving. Then the desert was a slice of cheesecake. It was a full meal that lasted till the next meal time no problem. My point was that many people consider the buffets/ayce a way to eat a snack for breakfast, buffet for lunch then maybe share a cs or have another snack for dinner cause they still arent really hungry. I personally couldnt do this cause to eat enough to truely go without a substantial meal at all before sleeping for the night I would be way too uncomfortable the rest of the day. So then meals like what I got at le Cellier definitely wouldnt allow this.....So while it would be more $$ for the one credit you would still be hungry later. And I didnt go cheap we only ordered 2 meals at le Cellier for over $120.

For our 7 night stay, I have ADRs at buffets every day except our Ohana day & our Fantasmic Dinner day (Brown Derby). For one thing, we have an 18 month old with us who doesn't sit still for long. Even beyond that consideration, my ds17 & dd11 & dd21 & dh all prefer buffets so they can pick & choose their food. I am the only hold out that prefers a sit down restaurant.

The compromise is that dh & I will eat 2 sit-down dinners (one after we leave WDW) by ourselves while the kids eat counter or buffet, their choice. That way we all get what we want.

As to which restaurants, all of my choices are based on the kinds of food we like to eat, or something we want to try.

The DDP does make it easier to try foods where you might not otherwise do it (BOMA, for us).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter