A couple of DL Newbeen questions with a Oogie Boogie theme

dpic

DIS Veteran
My family grew up dreaming and going to WDW. We lived in Michigan and made trip every few years. Fast forward to retirement, my wife and I moved to Southern Utah, and we are only a 7 hour drive to Disneyland! :Pinkbounc:banana::cool1:

So, some questions, please.

We'll be driving on I-15 and staying on Harbor Blvd. Our plan is to get up early on a Sunday and drive to be at DL for a Oogie Boogie Party on Sunday afternoon (hopefully arrive by 2pm). Could we get the best driving directions to DL, please? We'll plan on I-15 through Cajon Junction but after that I'm sure there's poor, decent, and better routes.

Now, a question about crowd levels. I've always used Len Testa's site for crowd levels at WDW, and I've signed up for Touring Plans for DL. Normally at WDW, early September is less crowded and the closer to Halloween, the busier. However, on Touring plans it shows October 31st 2021 as a crowd level of 2/10 (lowest level is 1/10), and the Monday after (Nov. 1st) is a 3/10 level. Is it really that dead for Halloween night? Also, in September, the 19th (probably the first Sunday for Oogie Boogie) crowd level is a 5, but Monday (Oct. 20th) as a 6. I understand at this point it's all speculation, but are Mondays normally as crowded at Sundays?

Thanks!

Halloween night always sells out. It will be as crowded as it can be. Chances are running low that there will be parties next year, considering that they haven't even been able to open for reduced/locals only at this point.

Mondays have been traditionally the busiest days of the week to visit during normal schedules.

You are correct that buying a party ticket for a September party will give you better days before and after the party date as far as crowds go. However, none of that seems to matter right now. Since the park has been closed for months and likely won't open for several more months, the chances of a Halloween party are very slim.

The last time that DL tried to open, they were going to limit attendance to people living within a certain radius of the park. I can't remember what that was, but it wasn't as far as Utah. Who knows what will happen, but making vacation plans is good for your mental health. So, plan away and have fun with it and have an alternate plan that will make you equally as happy.

We'll be driving on I-15 and staying on Harbor Blvd. Our plan is to get up early on a Sunday and drive to be at DL for a Oogie Boogie Party on Sunday afternoon (hopefully arrive by 2pm). Could we get the best driving directions to DL, please? We'll plan on I-15 through Cajon Junction but after that I'm sure there's poor, decent, and better routes.

Conditions may vary. So it may be advisable to use a mobile app that monitors traffic flow. Google Maps, Waze, and other apps do a good job at updating the preferred route when needed.

I’ve made that drive down I-15 dozens of times. Just eyeballing it, you might think that I-15 to CA-91 at the junction in Corona is the simplest way. But my preference has always been to take exit 106 to CA-60 westbound, which passes just south of the Ontario airport. After about 17 miles on highway 60, take the exit for CA-57 southbound toward Santa Ana. Then from highway 57, take exit 2 for Katella Ave. Harbor Blvd. is just over a mile westward on Katella. One of the things I like most about the CA-60/CA-57 route is that we can take advantage of the HOV-exclusive flyover at the junction between those two highways (i.e. a leftmost-lane exit to avoid the congestion in the regular right-hand lanes). The HOV flyover junction works in both directions!

For the most part, you will find your drive very easy. We’ve found that we are usually going the opposite direction of most of the traffic. When we go south for a weekend visit, we see lots of Southern California traffic traveling north to Las Vegas. And when we return home, they are coming back home the opposite direction again. Depending on the time of day and the current construction situation, pinch points are going through the Virgin River Gorge in Arizona, passing through Las Vegas, and construction north of Victorville. But those are all usually not too bad. On weekdays, you may run into rush hour traffic in Southern California too. But those HOV lanes are useful for a smoother drive.

Enjoy your planning!

My family grew up dreaming and going to WDW. We lived in Michigan and made trip every few years. Fast forward to retirement, my wife and I moved to Southern Utah, and we are only a 7 hour drive to Disneyland! :Pinkbounc:banana::cool1:

So, some questions, please.

Now, a question about crowd levels. I've always used Len Testa's site for crowd levels at WDW, and I've signed up for Touring Plans for DL. Normally at WDW, early September is less crowded and the closer to Halloween, the busier. However, on Touring plans it shows October 31st 2021 as a crowd level of 2/10 (lowest level is 1/10), and the Monday after (Nov. 1st) is a 3/10 level. Is it really that dead for Halloween night? Also, in September, the 19th (probably the first Sunday for Oogie Boogie) crowd level is a 5, but Monday (Oct. 20th) as a 6. I understand at this point it's all speculation, but are Mondays normally as crowded at Sundays?

Thanks!
Just want to clarify that the OBB is not held at DL, but at DCA. Currently, there is no Halloween party at DL and we have not heard any news of plans to hold a party there in 2021. Agree with the pp that there is a chance that the OBB may not happen in 2021 -- so much depends on when the parks are able to open and what the state limitations will be. Keep up to date with the Official Reopening Superthread on this board for official news on the parks.
Regarding crowd calendars, those really are a WDW tool. They have never really worked well or been reliable at DLR. Read this thread and the included links to learn why: Most accurate crowd calendars?. Pre-COVID shutdown, Mondays were some of the most crowded days. When the parks finally reopen with the reservation system, who knows how that will affect the historic crowd patterns. Stay tuned to find out...

We'll be driving on I-15 and staying on Harbor Blvd. Our plan is to get up early on a Sunday and drive to be at DL for a Oogie Boogie Party on Sunday afternoon (hopefully arrive by 2pm). Could we get the best driving directions to DL, please?
First, do NOT drive I-15 South on a Sunday. Half of SoCal is heading back home after a weekend in Vegas and there will be massive backups at the NV/CA border, the Baker stretch and El Cajon pass. You will be lucky if your normally 7 hour drive is less than 12 hours. Drive down on Saturday if you can.

Next, take I-15 to CA60 west and get in the carpool lane. When you are coming up to the CA57 intersection, STAY IN THE CARPOOL LANE. Keep to the left to get on to 57. Stay in the 57 carpool lane until you go past CA91, then get into the normal traffic lanes and take either the Ball Road or Katella exit.

Finally, have fun!

I’m willing to bet that the parks will be at (limited) capacity every day. Crowd calendars will be irrelevant in 2021.
I agree. Crowd calendars weren't all that helpful at DLR before the closure and my point to the OP was that already betting on TP for after the parks reopen is a bit premature at best. DLR has never been WDW 2.0 and it is better for a WDW vet to start planning with a clean slate and open mind -- especially since no one really knows exactly what things will look like once the parks finally reopen.

I agree. Crowd calendars weren't all that helpful at DLR before the closure and my point to the OP was that already betting on TP for after the parks reopen is a bit premature at best. DLR has never been WDW 2.0 and it is better for a WDW vet to start planning with a clean slate and open mind -- especially since no one really knows exactly what things will look like once the parks finally reopen.
That's why I'm here asking. Thanks for the help everyone. :thumbsup2

You've been given great advice, but as a fellow Southern Utahn, I wanted to emphasize the traffic back ups southbound on Sunday. It really can be seriously awful, as is northbound on Fridays. You need to either leave crazy early in Sunday, or better yet, leave on Saturday.

as is northbound on Fridays.
Fridays aren’t too bad if you are on the road before noon. CA60/I-15N is always a mess, but it usually clears up by I-10. El Cajon can be hit-or-miss, but if you don’t make the noon exit time, it will not be pretty...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter