A Cause For Celebration: A Wedding, A Marathon & A 30th Birthday - January 2018 Update:12/28

Send some of that here, please! We've had rain and rain, with a side of rain.

Oh good, so the Maritimes should clear off in time for my vacation haha. But now I'm thinking of all the mosquitos...

Yay! Sorry to hear about your grandmother, though. But wonderful to get home and see everyone and have your engagement party!

I'm really looking forward to getting home for 10 days, even if part of the trip will be sad. There really is no place like the Maritimes :love:

I love your shoes! If I didn't already have a pair of blue heels in my closet that I wanted to wear, and if I weren't already SO short, I'd totally want to do something like this! Your feet will be soo much comfier than most brides, and they're so cute!

Haha, I'm extremely short as well - 5'2", but I haven't worn heels in a few years now. I have an insane collection of shoes, and I keep telling myself I need to start trying to sell some of them, but I've been having such a difficult time bringing myself to do it...

Exciting! It seems like all the coordinators get great reviews, so I'm sure you'll like whoever you get. We got Samantha and we've been perfectly happy with her. She's responded to our questions fairly quickly, seems genuinely excited about planning weddings, and has helped us out with a few unconventional things like our allergy-friendly cake, etc. We're looking forward to actually meeting her on the day. :)

Hopefully we hear soon who we have! How long did it take from the time you sent in your signed contract and deposit until you found out who your coordinator was? So far, everyone we've dealt with has been amazing!

How cool! I'd like to do this sometime!

The more we talked about it, the more we realized how important it was for us to do this on this trip. We're planning on a bit of a break from Disney after the wedding, and we're not 100% sure when we'll be back to Florida again.

Following along! I came over from your trip report and am loving reading about all the details of the wedding. It sounds wonderful!

Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

I love that tutu! I could never make anything like that, not to mention it would add about 8 inches to my already not small hips lol. Can't wait what costume you decide on for January!

It was actually so easy to make! I haven't looked at it in a few weeks now, so I haven't made any progress on it, but once it's completely finished I'll add another picture!
Also love your royal blue Converse for the wedding :love: and I agree I think white laces will look better.

I'm so excited to have comfortable feet on my wedding day! I just don't understand why mine came with blue laces, I've only ever seen white laces in Converse before...

Here's a wedding question for you, curious about it since I really know nothing about Disney wedding other than reading your plans and @MeghanEmily 's : so your max guests can be 18 but you invited more than that. What happens if more than 18 say they're coming? Do you tell the ones that RSVP yes after you've gotten 18 that they are welcome to come watch the ceremony (I assume anyone can watch, given the location), but they can't attend the reception, or can you pay some type of upcharge to have more than 18 at the reception? Inquiring minds who will never have a Disney wedding want to know lol!!

Haha, we invited over 18 thinking we would have more no's. If we end up with more than 18 confirmed, they will not be able to attend our ceremony. Disney is pretty strict about that from my understanding. Since our reception is separate from Disney, we can have as many as we'd like for that (right now, I have our quoted price for 20 people, but I can lower that number 30 days before, or increase it up until the day before). I've also asked about the dessert party, and I am allowed to have as many as I'd like for that (I think right now we have 25 as our potential number, but I doubt we'll end up with that many). I believe I need a final count for my dessert party at 30 days out as well.

I really like those SW leggings for a SW fan, also. Perfect for Disney!

Those leggings are so comfortable! I just love them![/QUOTE]

Hopefully we hear soon who we have! How long did it take from the time you sent in your signed contract and deposit until you found out who your coordinator was? So far, everyone we've dealt with has been amazing!

I think it ended up being exactly a week. They've never missed a "deadline" or been longer than they've estimated on anything. Usually they're faster. :)

they will not be able to attend our ceremony. Disney is pretty strict about that from my understanding.
Alright I need to go back a few pages and re-read, because I thought your ceremony was at the pavilion by the BW resort. We've watched a couple weddings from the pathway there so I figured those that were over the 18 person limit could watch from afar :rotfl2:

I think it ended up being exactly a week. They've never missed a "deadline" or been longer than they've estimated on anything. Usually they're faster. :)

Awesome! Hopefully I'll hear from them within the next few days :)

Alright I need to go back a few pages and re-read, because I thought your ceremony was at the pavilion by the BW resort. We've watched a couple weddings from the pathway there so I figured those that were over the 18 person limit could watch from afar :rotfl2:

We are getting married at SeaBreeze Point, so I bet we could do that, those guests would just have to be subtle about it haha. I *think* we'll probably end up right at the 18 count though :)

Ambitious ADR List - Wedding Week

So, Luke and I sat down and did a day by day rough schedule of which parks we'd like to try and get to, which restaurants we'd like to eat at, etc for the entire duration of our trip. We will be there a full week before everyone else, so I will put that list into a separate post, this one is the list of places we're hoping to take our friends and family to - so it's a lot of our favourites from past trips. Keep in mind we are not paying for everyone's meals, but no one really seems interested in choosing restaurants right now (they don't understand how crucial ADR's are), so we decided we would just go ahead and make our ADR's for a large group, and then modify the numbers down in a few months as needed.

Saturday, January 6th - Supper​

We can't really make a schedule for this until people start booking their flights and we know exact arrival times. The plan isn't anything fancy, we figure we'll take our guests in waves over to Disney Springs as they arrive. Luke will be taking the first wave of people, as he will need to eat and get back to Old Key West to go to bed early for his full marathon the next day. More than likely, food will be from Earl of Sandwich (it's cheap, it's delicious - mmm Holiday Turkey sandwich!, and it's a quick and easy meal). Depending on what people want to do, I might hang out in Disney Springs with everyone - maybe go for a drink or two somewhere?

Sunday, January 7th - Supper​

This is a really ambitious ADR we'll be trying for - we want to do 'Ohana for dinner, and we'll be making a reservation for 18 people. Wish me luck on getting that one! Luke and I enjoyed eating here, and it should appeal to all of our guests. Everyone that is travelling for our wedding is legal drinking age as well, so we'd also like to introduce people to Trader Sam's this day.

Monday, January 8th - Lunch​

I'm thinking I want to do a meal with just my bridesmaids, since I figure I won't have a ton of alone time with my friends over the week. My plan is to take the three of them to Le Cellier, and Luke wants to take everyone else to Sunshine Seasons. My Maid of Honour is a bit of a foodie, and one of my bridesmaid actually went to Culinary School way back in the day - so I think they will really appreciate that truffle poutine at Le Cellier! Luke decided on Sunshine Seasons (which does not require an ADR) due to it's huge menu and relatively cheap prices - everyone should be able to find something they like! If people want to go somewhere else, it's on them to make their own reservation.

Monday, January 8th - Supper​

I really want to go to Garden Grill with everyone. I know they do not have tables large enough to fit our entire group, but it's not the end of the world to have to split up. This is one of mine and Luke's favourites - the character interaction is always great and we've really enjoyed the food both times we've ate there. Plus - we want to make sure everyone goes to at least one character meal while they are in Disney!

Tuesday, January 9th - Breakfast​

Right now, I'm planning on Crystal Palace for just my mom and I. Growing up, the Winnie-the-Pooh characters were my favourites, and I know it would mean a lot to my mom to get pictures with the gang from the 100 Acre Wood. I've never ate here for breakfast before, but from the reviews I've read it's just a standard breakfast buffet like anywhere else.

Tuesday, January 9th - Lunch​

Another ambitious ADR hope - Be Our Guest. For the entire group of 20. Yep, I'm probably crazy for trying to get this one, but I can always split the group up into smaller groups and just try to make the reservations within 10-15 minutes of each other. Since it's self-seating at lunch, different reservation times wouldn't be a huge deal.

Thursday, January 11 - Brunch​

Luke and I need to go to Tusker House at least once every trip, it's our favourite character meal! Most of our friends and family will be heading to Universal Studios for the day so there will be a much smaller group travelling the parks with us on this day, so it shouldn't be an issue to get an ADR.

Friday, January 12 - Lunch​

This one I might end up changing, since I think it's too crazy to think we'd ever get it...I want to do lunch at Beaches and Cream. With the group of like 12 people who are still around... yeah, that probably won't happen. But, I'll still try!

Keep in mind we are not paying for everyone's meals, but no one really seems interested in choosing restaurants right now (they don't understand how crucial ADR's are), so we decided we would just go ahead and make our ADR's for a large group, and then modify the numbers down in a few months as needed.

This is exactly what we did. People are difficult, so we figured book high! Of course, we're a bit closer than you... and Zack's brothers still don't have rooms booked or anything. They get annoyed when Zack asks (about weekly) if they know what days they're going. :rotfl:

I really want to go to Garden Grill with everyone. I know they do not have tables large enough to fit our entire group, but it's not the end of the world to have to split up. This is one of mine and Luke's favourites - the character interaction is always great and we've really enjoyed the food both times we've ate there. Plus - we want to make sure everyone goes to at least one character meal while they are in Disney!
I got an early dinner reservation for 12! It'll be food and wine so I figured a 4:30pm dinner was okay, people can snack and :drinking1 before and after. But we had a great time here in January, the only downside was we couldn't eat as much as we wanted (it was an ambitious day - we had lunch at House of Blues to try to of our entrees and appetizer for the wedding, and then booked Garden Grill for the Broadway Arts festival dining package, and they only had 4pm left... but don't worry, we ate all of the dessert!). The characters were great though. I really want to take my grandpa to a character meal :)

Another ambitious ADR hope - Be Our Guest. For the entire group of 20. Yep, I'm probably crazy for trying to get this one, but I can always split the group up into smaller groups and just try to make the reservations within 10-15 minutes of each other. Since it's self-seating at lunch, different reservation times wouldn't be a huge deal.
This would be a fun idea! I might steal it lol.

Fun ADR plans! If we had more time with our whole group, I'd love to do something like this. As it is, some of my family will be staying around a few days, but Nathan's family are out right after the wedding, and so is our bridal party. Some of your plans look a little ambitious, but I expect they'll be doable, especially if you're willing to split your group into smaller groups if needed. We actually split our "reception" dinner reservation into two groups of 10, five minutes apart, and I'm thinking (hoping!) it'll work out just fine.

Plus - we want to make sure everyone goes to at least one character meal while they are in Disney!

I wish we'd been able to accomplish this! It's Nathan's family's first trip, and they're planning to do one park day the day before the wedding. Originally I'd started planning that they should all go to MK and we'd meet them there for a character breakfast at Crystal Palace because I knew they wouldn't want to wait in long lines for character meets and I think everyone should meet Disney characters at least once...but they totally weren't interested in the idea...and then ended up changing plans and not even wanting to do MK at all. I gave up on the dream and told them with their group dynamic they should go to Epcot then, and we're leaving them to their own devices and not doing any meals with them at all now. :P

Right now, I'm planning on Crystal Palace for just my mom and I. Growing up, the Winnie-the-Pooh characters were my favourites, and I know it would mean a lot to my mom to get pictures with the gang from the 100 Acre Wood. I've never ate here for breakfast before, but from the reviews I've read it's just a standard breakfast buffet like anywhere else.

We're doing this with just my side of the family, including my 8 year old cousin who's a Disney newbie. I'm excited! We've done the breakfast a few times before, and I like it, but I can't tell if it's for nostalgia reasons or because it's actually good. But it's your standard buffet with an extra helping of carbs/pastries, etc. I had a good meal there last time. As a side note, they do a great job with dietary restrictions, which is important for me :)

Luke and I need to go to Tusker House at least once every trip, it's our favourite character meal!

Love Tusker House! We almost didn't book it for August and then squeezed it in at the end!

That's an awesome ADR wish list. So many character meals!! A few of them will probably be hard to get, but hopefully you can pull it off!

I'm late to the party, but I'm reading along! Congratulations!!!

Welcome! And thank you!

This is exactly what we did. People are difficult, so we figured book high! Of course, we're a bit closer than you... and Zack's brothers still don't have rooms booked or anything. They get annoyed when Zack asks (about weekly) if they know what days they're going. :rotfl:

I pushed so hard for people to book their rooms early haha. I HAD to know what days everyone was planning on being there. No one else seems to have the same urgency about a Disney trip - just imagine if I left them on their own!

I got an early dinner reservation for 12! It'll be food and wine so I figured a 4:30pm dinner was okay, people can snack and :drinking1 before and after. But we had a great time here in January, the only downside was we couldn't eat as much as we wanted (it was an ambitious day - we had lunch at House of Blues to try to of our entrees and appetizer for the wedding, and then booked Garden Grill for the Broadway Arts festival dining package, and they only had 4pm left... but don't worry, we ate all of the dessert!). The characters were great though. I really want to take my grandpa to a character meal :)

That dessert at Garden Grill is amazing, but we've never been able to come close to finishing it.

I'm glad to hear of someone getting a larger reservation there! I don't think our friends/family realize that they need to go to character meals haha, but since they've placed the planning in my hands it will happen :)

This would be a fun idea! I might steal it lol.

On our first trip to WDW, we ate all three meals at BOG, and lunch was probably my favourite food. Since you can pre-order your food and you seat yourself, it shouldn't be an issue for a larger group to sit together (as long as you didn't have your heart set on sitting in the West Wing or anything).

Fun ADR plans! If we had more time with our whole group, I'd love to do something like this. As it is, some of my family will be staying around a few days, but Nathan's family are out right after the wedding, and so is our bridal party. Some of your plans look a little ambitious, but I expect they'll be doable, especially if you're willing to split your group into smaller groups if needed. We actually split our "reception" dinner reservation into two groups of 10, five minutes apart, and I'm thinking (hoping!) it'll work out just fine.

Pretty much our entire group is staying for a full week! It's the first trip to Disney for just about everyone except Luke and I, and they all want to make the most of it.

I'm thinking we'll be ok with most of our plans, and if we need to we'll just make the groups smaller. For the really difficult ones, we'll just come up with a back-up plan before ADR day...

I can't remember where you're having your reception. I actually can't remember any of the actual details of your wedding, I think I need to go re-read your planning report!

I wish we'd been able to accomplish this! It's Nathan's family's first trip, and they're planning to do one park day the day before the wedding. Originally I'd started planning that they should all go to MK and we'd meet them there for a character breakfast at Crystal Palace because I knew they wouldn't want to wait in long lines for character meets and I think everyone should meet Disney characters at least once...but they totally weren't interested in the idea...and then ended up changing plans and not even wanting to do MK at all. I gave up on the dream and told them with their group dynamic they should go to Epcot then, and we're leaving them to their own devices and not doing any meals with them at all now. :P

Haha, people were being difficult and not wanting to try and plan anything, so I said fine, I'll just plan for everyone! We had most of our guests buy their park tickets while the Canadian discount was still being offered, so most people are doing 4-5 park days, with some people doing a day at Universal as well.

I remember Luke and I were really apprehensive about meeting Disney characters at first I thought it was silly and childish until I actually did it haha. Now I love it....

We're doing this with just my side of the family, including my 8 year old cousin who's a Disney newbie. I'm excited! We've done the breakfast a few times before, and I like it, but I can't tell if it's for nostalgia reasons or because it's actually good. But it's your standard buffet with an extra helping of carbs/pastries, etc. I had a good meal there last time. As a side note, they do a great job with dietary restrictions, which is important for me :)

Oh, how fun to get to share the Disney magic with an 8 year old newbie! I think our youngest guests will be 29 haha, so no kids in our group! I enjoy the standard Disney buffets, I definitely don't have fancy tastes in food so I'm sure I will love it haha!

Love Tusker House! We almost didn't book it for August and then squeezed it in at the end!

You can't skip Tusker House! So good!

That's an awesome ADR wish list. So many character meals!! A few of them will probably be hard to get, but hopefully you can pull it off!

And that's just our ADR list for the week our family is there! Luke and I are there for a full week before everyone else :)

Here's hoping I don't have too much difficulty on ADR day....

This one I might end up changing, since I think it's too crazy to think we'd ever get it...I want to do lunch at Beaches and Cream. With the group of like 12 people who are still around... yeah, that probably won't happen. But, I'll still try!

We got a lunch reservation for 8, so 12 may not be too crazy! Good luck!

I can't remember where you're having your reception. I actually can't remember any of the actual details of your wedding, I think I need to go re-read your planning report!

We decided not to bother with a formal reception, but we're treating everyone to a buffet dinner at Boma at AKL. Since we'll have such a small crew doing the Escape wedding package we figured it would be pretty easy to do, and hopefully they'll be able to seat us all close together. We love Boma (more for breakfast, but still) and AKL is where we got engaged, so it was an easy choice :)

I remember Luke and I were really apprehensive about meeting Disney characters at first I thought it was silly and childish until I actually did it haha. Now I love it....

Nathan still doesn't quite "get" the character thing, but he's learned to pretend to like it for my benefit I think. :P

I love the sounds of your plans (definitely a couple toughies in there, but believing in pixie dust never hurts!!)

they totally weren't interested in the idea...and then ended up changing plans and not even wanting to do MK at all.

BOOOO to them!!!! More magic for everyone else!

We got a lunch reservation for 8, so 12 may not be too crazy! Good luck!

Oh, this is great to hear! I still have a few weeks before ADR day, but I'm such a planner I needed a plan in place a month early haha

We decided not to bother with a formal reception, but we're treating everyone to a buffet dinner at Boma at AKL. Since we'll have such a small crew doing the Escape wedding package we figured it would be pretty easy to do, and hopefully they'll be able to seat us all close together. We love Boma (more for breakfast, but still) and AKL is where we got engaged, so it was an easy choice :)

Mmm, Boma breakfast was so good! That's a perfect place for your after-wedding meal!

How many of your friends/family are traveling down with you guys? It's looking more and more like we're going to hit our max allowance for the Escape package haha...

Nathan still doesn't quite "get" the character thing, but he's learned to pretend to like it for my benefit I think. :P

Haha, just keep working on him, I'm sure he'll come around!

I love the sounds of your plans (definitely a couple toughies in there, but believing in pixie dust never hurts!!)

I still have a few more weeks before ADR day, but my fingers are crossed!

Ambitious ADR List #2 - Alone Time Week

The ADR hopeful list I posted above was for the week all of our friends/family are with us, but Luke and I will be there for a full week before anyone else arrives! I'm going to just post this list in alphabetical order, since some things may get changed around (we still haven't booked a hotel for the extra three days we added on to the beginning of our trip, and it could end up being one hotel for the first two nights, then a fancy one for one night before we move over to OKW for our 11 night stay - I'll explain fully once things are set). I've also included the quick service places we have on our list:

• 1900 Park Fare (Supper) - We had this booked for our 2016 trip, but had to cancel once my Crohn's decided to destroy me one day, and we just weren't able to make it fit into our schedule on our 2017 trip. I need to meet the Step-sisters! And I need to try strawberry soup!
  • 50's Prime Time (Lunch) - I was less than impressed with our meal here in 2016, but Luke loved it. I'm willing to give it another try, and will order something different this time around. Plus Luke really wants another peanut butter and jelly milkshake...
  • Backlot Express (lunch) - there's just not much that interests us at Hollywood Studios, but this will be a good time to get my fill of Disney chicken nuggets (and Darth Vader waffles?)
  • Boma (Breakfast) - yum. I always swear I'm not even a breakfast person, but I really enjoyed the variety of this breakfast buffet, and it all tasted really amazing! Plus I love Animal Kingdom Lodge so much!
  • Capt' Cooks (Breakfast) - I know, I don't need an ADR for this place, but it was on our list this past trip and we didn't make it there. I just want to try Tonga Toast!
  • Crew's Cup Lounge (supper) - Luke heard the burgers are good here, and we've never ate a meal at the Yacht Club, so why not!
  • Liberty Tree Tavern (supper) - the menu appeals to both of us, and it's one of the few places we can have a beer at Magic Kingdom.
  • Mama Melrose (supper)
  • Saana (Supper) - Two words: bread service. Enough said.
  • Tiffins (Lunch) - the menu here scares me a little since I am picky, but there is enough to intrigue me. Luke is much more adventurous with food than I am, and the drink menu has my attention haha.
  • Tony's Town Square (supper) - I've heard mixed reviews, but we want to try it ourselves. I could take or leave this one to be honest.
  • Trader Sam's (drinks) - this place is awesome. The food options are much better at the California version of this bar, but let's be serious - it's all about the crazy drinks!
  • Trail's End (breakfast) - It's weird - I keep saying I don't really like breakfast, but then we plan a ton of breakfast reservations... I think part of it is that it forces us to be up and ready and not sleep away the day...
  • Trattoria El Forno (breakfast) - I need to meet Eugene Fitzherbert!
We still have quite a few empty spots in our plans for meals, but we'll figure it out over the next few weeks....

I'm glad you're going to give Tiffins a try! Also FYI and you may know this already, if you want to try having everyone sit together at 'Ohana you'll need to call it in, as you can't book online for that many people. Same for B&C since you're trying for 12 unless you split it up and most definitely for BOG if you want to sit together. One of the things I've learned since becoming a TA :thumbsup2

How many of your friends/family are traveling down with you guys? It's looking more and more like we're going to hit our max allowance for the Escape package haha...

We're going to end up having somewhere between 15-18 depending on RSVPs, plus us (so 17-20ish). 3 of those are also bridal party members. We only invited a max of 18, which was hard, but we made it work because we were a little worried about going over...especially since our ceremony is at Canada Terrace, so it's not like there's any way anyone could even come and watch the ceremony from afar since you have to be driven backstage at Epcot to get to the venue. We're asking people to please give us an idea right away now if they absolutely aren't coming though, because we have some local friends in Florida who might be interested in coming if we ended up with room on our guest list, and the sooner they knew the better.

1900 Park Fare (Supper) - We had this booked for our 2016 trip, but had to cancel once my Crohn's decided to destroy me one day, and we just weren't able to make it fit into our schedule on our 2017 trip. I need to meet the Step-sisters! And I need to try strawberry soup!

I've always wanted to do this one and haven't fit it in yet. The stepsisters seem so hilarious here!

Boma (Breakfast) - yum. I always swear I'm not even a breakfast person, but I really enjoyed the variety of this breakfast buffet, and it all tasted really amazing! Plus I love Animal Kingdom Lodge so much!

Probably my favorite meal on property to be honest. For a while we actually had it booked on two separate mornings, but we swapped things around and the new plan included Tusker House one of those days instead. Such a good breakfast!!

Tiffins (Lunch)

We loved our meal here in December! Everything was pretty amazing. I'm a fairly picky eater even as an adult (I was that kid who ate chicken nuggets at every single meal) but I had heard such good things about the food that I dared myself to be adventurous, and I did just fine. The food was excellent. I hope you enjoy it!

Saana (Supper) - Two words: bread service. Enough said.

We're finally going to get to try this for the first time!

Trattoria El Forno (breakfast) - I need to meet Eugene Fitzherbert!

I wish we'd managed to fit this one in. I can't wait to hear all about your experience here!!

I'm glad you're going to give Tiffins a try! Also FYI and you may know this already, if you want to try having everyone sit together at 'Ohana you'll need to call it in, as you can't book online for that many people. Same for B&C since you're trying for 12 unless you split it up and most definitely for BOG if you want to sit together. One of the things I've learned since becoming a TA :thumbsup2

My plan is to try online when my window opens and get whatever I can for the reservations I want, and then call when the phone lines open an hour later. I'm hoping it'll all work out :)

We're going to end up having somewhere between 15-18 depending on RSVPs, plus us (so 17-20ish). 3 of those are also bridal party members. We only invited a max of 18, which was hard, but we made it work because we were a little worried about going over...especially since our ceremony is at Canada Terrace, so it's not like there's any way anyone could even come and watch the ceremony from afar since you have to be driven backstage at Epcot to get to the venue. We're asking people to please give us an idea right away now if they absolutely aren't coming though, because we have some local friends in Florida who might be interested in coming if we ended up with room on our guest list, and the sooner they knew the better.

I think we're going to end up around the same - right now we have 15 people confirmed plus ourselves - so 17, and we're still waiting on responses from a few.

I've always wanted to do this one and haven't fit it in yet. The stepsisters seem so hilarious here!

I really want to meet the stepsisters too! It's probably the biggest reason I want to eat at 1900 Park Fare haha.

Probably my favorite meal on property to be honest. For a while we actually had it booked on two separate mornings, but we swapped things around and the new plan included Tusker House one of those days instead. Such a good breakfast!!

We both loved it, it was on our must-do again list! Such good food!

We loved our meal here in December! Everything was pretty amazing. I'm a fairly picky eater even as an adult (I was that kid who ate chicken nuggets at every single meal) but I had heard such good things about the food that I dared myself to be adventurous, and I did just fine. The food was excellent. I hope you enjoy it!

I think there's enough on the menu to keep me fed, and the drink menu looks great too!

We're finally going to get to try this for the first time!

I really enjoyed it! I was nervous about it, since we do have some really amazing Indian restaurants around us and eat it fairly often, but Saana was good!

I wish we'd managed to fit this one in. I can't wait to hear all about your experience here!!

I need to meet Flynn Ryder! I just watched Tangled again last week some of my little cousins when I was in New Brunswick - such a great movie!

Accommodations (Part Two), Flights and Other News

After we had decided on extending our trip to fly down December 30th instead of January 2nd, we had to decide on a hotel. I did submit a request to rent DVC points for those three nights, but unsurprisingly, every DVC studio room on property was booked. I had a feeling that would be the case, so back to the drawing board. We discussed staying off site for those three days to save some money, since every room on property is an insane price for NYE, and we had found some really great prices on Expedia (like $110CAD/night!). If we stayed off site, we had zero interest in getting a rental car so we'd be taking Taxis/Ubers everywhere (I hate driving at the best of times, and Luke would rather not drive while on vacation). After weighing all of the pros and cons, we decided to just suck it up and pay for Disney onsite prices, and have now booked a room for December 30th and 31st at Pop Century! It wasn't a hotel at the top of my priority list, but I spent more per night on that than I did for Old Key West (thanks surge pricing!)​

I even spent the little extra and booked a preferred room for the two nights.

As for the night of January 1st - I contacted my wedding coordinator about setting up a room block for our wedding. Most of our guests already have their rooms booked using rented DVC points, but those count against the numbers we need. Basically, in my Disney wedding research I found out that if us/our guests have a minimum of 10 nights in Disney-owned hotels, the bride and groom are eligible for a complimentary one-night stay at any Disney hotel (based on availability). Since Luke and I have 2 nights booked at Pop and 11 nights at Old Key West, we already had enough for the free night. The room block process itself is a little complicated, and I won't even pretend that I fully understand it, but we filled out the necessary paperwork and were sent an addendum on our contract. Once we sign that off and return it, along with confirmation numbers for hotel stays booked for our wedding, they will reserve us a room for the night we requested (Jan. 1st). Hopefully, if all goes well we will be spending one night here:​

:

Again, this was not at the top of our hotel bucket list, but it's one I don't think we'd ever pay for ourselves - way too expensive. That said, if it all works out and we do end up with a room here I will be very happy! We'll even have time to enjoy it, since our volunteer shift with Give Kids the World is over at 2:30 that day and we were planning on going to dinner at the Grand Floridian anyways.

So, our trip is now confirmed as being 14 nights - the second longest trip I've ever done! (My longest trip ever was 16 days to Germany, back in 2005). Here's our hotel plan:

December 30, 2017 - January 1, 2018: Pop Century
January 1, 2018 - January 2, 2018: Grand Floridian (hopefully!)
January 2, 2018 - January 13, 2018: Old Key West

Flights!

Since we knew we wanted the direct flight from Edmonton to Orlando on December 30th, and we were planning on using the companion flight voucher we receive by having a WestJet Mastercard, we went ahead and booked our flight! One more thing to take off the to-do list :)
YEG-MCO: December 30th, 2017, Depart 11:50am, Flight time 4hr 57min, Arrive 6:47pm (2 hour time difference)
MCO-YEG: January 13th, 2018, Depart 7:40pm, Flight time 5hr 47min, Arrive 11:27pm (2 hour time difference)

Others

We just returned from our trip to New Brunswick yesterday. I'll do a post at some point with pictures from our Mickey Mouse themed engagement party :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter