9/23/06 Let's go!!!! Who's with us???

:wave: Hello APB! A birthday cruise is a great idea. I'm curious how you will spring the surprise on the boys as well. I love surprises :lovestruc

It has been colder here the last few days as well. About 75 - 78 degrees and it doesn't feel humid at all. I've got most of the windows closed up which is not the norm for me (I love the breeze) but it is feeling "chilly" to me. It is still sunny with very little rain so I can't complain. My DH is thrilled to have colder weather. It feels like a winter this year. Last winter in Guam it felt like we didn't get one. I didn't mind that :teeth: , cold is not my thing. We are supposed to get our rain on Sunday.

I know that I want to snorkel with the stingrays (not the one on CC). Other than that, I haven't decided yet. I will pick up a few good books, I know I want to read on CC.

So nice for you to round up a crowd for this thread, Kathy :cheer2: !

Thanks Strawberry and Brerrabit for the warm greeting.

Tonight I will spring part one of my plan. I am going to tell the kids that if they get a good report card at the end of this school year I will get them something that they each have been wanting. My oldest will think I am talking about the XBox 360 and my youngest will think I talking about a PSP. They have been begging for both for the past few months and were disappointed when they didn't receive them for Christmas. I will let them think that is what I am talking about.

Once I see their final report cards (which better be good!!) I will tell them about the cruise. That way they will only have a few months to dream about the cruise. It will be time to go before they know it. Besides, if I tell them now, they will bug me to death until we leave :teeth:

Brer, I'm sure my youngest son would enjoy hanging out with both of your kids. I'm glad to see that there will be at least two kids his age on this cruise! I was worried that since this is during the school year there might not be any kids their ages on this cruise. I'm not worried about my oldest. He's 17 going 30 and thinks he's God's gift to women. I know he won't have any trouble making friends!

I haven't decided which excursions we will do. I will probably let the boys choose this time. We've never been to any of these ports so I know I will do some sightseeing. And the kids love to snorkel, so I'm sure we will do that too.

Howdy to everyone,
Since we just did the western in December we are not sure if we will do any excursions or just explore on our own.
At Key West we bought tickets for the bone island tram which goes all over with many stops where you can get on and off all day. We took it to the southern most point and saw the oldest mansion and houses. But mostly we walked around mallory square area. So many things are walking distance from the ship. I want to do the pirarte museum this time, but other than that, I dont know. We will just walk around and if we see anything we want to see, we will just do it.
Grand Caymen we did a city tour which was ok, but it is so modern there we didnt feel like we were on a tropical island. Souvenirs were more expensive there too. The beach was quite pretty and the formations at Hell were interesting to see, but we wernt overly impressed with it. Just to modern for us I guess. Cozumel was closed when we went, I hope it will be up and running for our cruise so we can see something new there. Have any of you guys ever been to Cozumel?? Costa Maya is very under developed still. There is a nice shopping area right at the port. Our guide told us it was only 4 years old and that is why they didnt have a lot there yet. There was also a free salt water swimming pool in the center of the stores with a swim up bar and some lounge chairs, but NO shade so bring the sun block if you use the pool!! At the end of the pier is a beach area with several lounge chairs you can use, but the shore is extremely rocky so you can't access the water there. A short taxi ride from the pier is one small town, where there are a few more shops and the private tours leave from there. I think the taxi was $5 per person one way. We did do the Choccoben ( spelled wrong) ruins tour through DCL. It did cost more but it was a 5 hour tour and we got back 30 minutes before having to be back on the ship, we were afraid if we did a local tour and we ran late, DCL will not wait, but if your run late on their tours they will wait. The ruins are an hour by bus to get there on very baren roads with no cities and almost no people. Not the kind of place you would want to have car trouble, you would be late, no doubt. So we paid more but had peace of mind, since we have seen them leave people on 3 of our cruises.
But the excursion was the best we have ever taken. Our guide was excellant, and the ruins were fascinating. If you do this tour, take bug spray!!! It is kind of a jungle area and it is buggy!!! At CC we just wait to see what the weather is like that day and then decide what to do. We have never had anything be booked up so we couldnt do it on the spur of the moment.

APB513, it is good to know your name is Angela, thanks for telling me. That sounds so much better when I write you, to use your name.
Well time to zip off to the store. i will actually have to dig out my sweatshirt today because we are very chilly here. In the low 40's, but it is nice and sunny, although we are suppose to have rain by afternoon.
I guess i have to have something to complain about, it's too cold now, but it is too hot and humid in the summer! But it will be perfect on the cruise!!!!
Take care everyone,
Kathy

I have to check with my parents and see what they want to do. I know we want to see the ruins. I just hate that the excursion takes up most of the day because I'd love to do some shopping too. Does anyone know what time the shops close?
I keep going back and forth with swimming with the stingrays. I got stung by one on my ankle a few years ago. I would rather give birth to an elephant that go through that again! :scared: I also think they are very beautiful creatures and maybe it would help me get over my fear a little.

I just found out about the new "tween" place, Ocean Quest! I've been away from the board for awhile and didn't know they added this during dry dock. DD is very excited. The docking simulator looks cool!

Hi Cheri,
Since our excursion left at noon we had time to zip to the end of the pier early and shop for a few minutes, then back for a early lunch, then off for the tour. All the shops are at the end of the pier in a circle,so easy to shop. There is not a huge amount since the area is only 4 years old and it is still growing. I'm not sure about he hours but the shops were still open when we got back at 5 p.m. because we stopped in a couple on our way back to the ship by 5:30 , and I think they opened around 9 a.m. as soon as the ships start unloading. I'm sure something else will be added by the time we get there. Unless Cozumel is up and running again by then, if so we will be going there instead of Costa Maya. At the ruins there`is a small area with souvenirs of the ruins, mostly blankets, statues and trinkets, but ok prices.
There is one place at the ruins where you climb up on the stairs of one of them. They tell you that you dont have to do this, but if you dont you will miss 99% of what there is to see. We had some older peole who did make it ok, but it took them a little while to do it. One side has steps by the rock wall so you can balance yourself, but the steps are high. The smaller steps are in the middle with nothing to hang on to. I am telling you this since you said your parents were interested too. I dont know if they have any physical limits or not, but just in case I thought I should let you know about the steps. I have some problems, but I made it ok. They don't rush you.
It is a great tour, we loved it.
It is cold and wet in central florida today. It makes me want to jump on the ship ASAP!!!! I miss the sunshine already.
Well my ironing is just sitting there starring at me, so I'd better get to it.
Let's keep this thread active sao we can stay bumped up and maybe we will get a couple more families this week. That would be great !!! :thumbsup2
Take care everyone,
Kathy

Howdy everyone, :cool1:
Angela, did you get any extra snow form all the nasty storms that went through yesterday? I didnt hear if any of the snow went your way.
We are so cold here, down in the 30's at night, just in time to ruin the fresh strawberries that they just started picking and only 55 today with a strong wind!!!
I had to wear my Donald Duck sweat shirt just to go out to the mail box!!
Heidi should be nice and warm in Hawaii, :sunny: but Cheri might be a little cooler like me. :confused3

It's days like this that gets me anxious to cruise again. :banana: :banana:
Take care everyone
Kathy

We're supposed to get down to 24 tonight!!!!! :faint: They actually thought we were going to get snow flurries Saturday. I don't like being cold.
We lived in St. Louis for 1 year after we got married. Hubby came home and I had the heater on 80, sweats on, a blanket wrapped around me and wood shoved UP the chimney. Poor thing had to put shorts on! :rolleyes:
It's supposed to warm up by this weekend.

We woke up to white frost every where!! I keep thinking, this is Florida, right???? :confused3 I think it was around 29 or 30 last night. i wore sweat pants to bed, way to cold here!! Guess I shouldnt complain too much, Angela probably has it a lot colder than us.
Well I'm going to curl up in a big blanket with a hot cup of tea and relax a while. Keep warm everyone. :goodvibes
Kathy :wave2:

Hello everyone -

No snow yesterday but it was VERY cold. I'm not sure what the low temp was but it was around 29 degrees yesterday afternoon. I have lived in Michigan for 25 years and I still have not gotten used to the cold!!!
I'm originally from California.

But this weather just makes me that much more excited about the cruise.

I have been working the past few days to make our travel arrangements - airfare, hotel - pre and post cruise, ground transportation, etc. I have been so consume with this cruise that my excitement just kept building.

So last night I told my oldest son. I couldn't stand keeping it a secret any longer. I called him into my office and told him I had something to tell him. He looked worried so I told him it was nothing bad. I then started giggling uncontrollably and told him I wanted to tell him some good news and some bad news. Originally he thought the surprise was an Xbox 360 or a car (yeah right!). So I told him the bad news was that the surprise is not an Xbox or a car. I started gigling again. He said "I think I know what it is". I told him to write his guess on a piece of paper and then put the paper face down on my desk. After he put the paper down I told him not to scream when I told him because I didn't want him to wake my youngest son up. He said OK. So I said "We...are...going...on...a........DISNEYCRUISE!!!! he starts jumping up and down and screaming silently. :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

After we both stopped jumping I asked him to show me the paper. Want to guess what he wrote down? Yup, he wrote "Disney Cruise, Baby"

He was so excited although he did admit that the cruise was not better than a car. I reminded him that he was never getting a car, then he was OK with it! I told him we are going to also do a post cruise stay at Disney since that my youngest son’s actually B-day and I didn’t want him to spend it traveling. I’m going to let him pick which park we go to for his birthday.

I am so way beyond excited it’s not even funny. I am typing this at work when I should probably be working but I can’t concentrate on anything else!!!

:yay: :yay: :yay:

That is so funny! You lasted longer than I would have. Are y'all still gonna try to surprise your youngest son?
Y'all are gonna have so much fun! There's so many things for the kids to do. Have you gotten a Passporter book yet? I've gotten them for the past 3 years and can't live without it. It is PACKED with information.
Also, check out **********************

Happy Planning!!!!!!! :banana: :cheer2: :yay: :wave2:

APB513

Angela,
You lasted longer than I could of!!!!!
i would of blurted it out to the kids as soon as it was booked. I just get too excited about crusing, i guess.
At least you know you made the right decision, since your son guessed what the surprise was.
Now you can all start planning excursions, pirate outfits, maybe door signs etc....

Our weather is suppose to hit 71 today!!YIPPEE!!!! and be really close to 80 by the weekend. Finally we are back to normal for Florida. i love the winters here, but the summers are a different story.
Take care everyone,
kathy

Wow, frost ? 29 degrees :cold: ! I'm so glad that it will be warming up to normal in Florida in time for the weekend. Kathy and Cheri must be happy about that also :woohoo: . It is still colder than "normal" here in Oahu too. My good friend has only been here for two years but she says that the last two winters were not near as cold as this one. It isn't bad, but I am ready for it to feel like summer again. I've been wearing jeans for a week now and I only have two pairs, I don't like doing laundry so frequently :p .

Angela, you did last longer than I could have. I always end up telling my kids right from the start what we plan. Our plans have had to change before due to my DH's job. We never know, until right up to the day we leave, if his leave is going to get "pulled" at the last minute or not. Becasue of that, I don't tend to make things into big surprises. Like right now about this cruise, when the kids ask "when are we going on a disney cruise again?" we answer "we are planning on one for this fall. We hope to have grandma and cousins with us. We are trying our best." I don't think I have EVER used the word promise with my kids, it is always, "I will try" ;) . It is really cute to read about your son getting excited about the cruise. You are going to have so much fun planning in the next months.

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day :love: :lovestruc ! In addition to my usual healthy food, I had a few of my chocolates and one cupcake, and I'm up two pounds this morning :sad2: . I'm afraid to eat any more of my chocolates, sigh. I am having the hardest time loosing the " baby weight" from my last pregnancy, my "baby" is now 6 :lmao:

Hello all!!

I really thought I could last longer but I was about to bust :rotfl2: I think I can hold out a little longer in telling my younger son now that I let the cat out of the bag. I'll wait and tell him this summer.

Brerrabbit -

Thanks for the tip on the Passporter. I keep seeing it but I wasn't sure it was worth buying.

I found a 2002-2004 Disney Cruise Line book that I got when I was pricing Disney cruises several years ago. I guess it will have to hold me until I get my Passporter.

Kathy -

Thank you for mentioning the door signs. I think I will make some for their birthdays and have them laminated.

Strawberry -

I know what you mean about "promises". I was hesitant to tell them because I wasn't sure if I could afford the cruise. But this is something we have all wanted to do for so long. I will find a way to pay for it.

Oh Angela, I hope I didn't come accross as questioning what you are doing with your boys. You are being a wonderful mother :goodvibes . I was just talking about surprises in general. I think big surprises are alot of fun and great if you can pull it off but there is also something to be said in including the family in the planning of something big. I think, it is also good for your oldest to know the time and planning you are putting into this for them. He can't help but realize how loved they are.

YIPPEE!!!!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

It's suppose to be 77 today!!! That is so nice, I can open the windows and air out the place. I am going to take in a sample of the pool water to make sure it is all balanced and ready to go. Of course it wont be warm enough to jump in for a couple of months yet, but no point in waiting. It is not heated accept by the sun, and i hate cold water. So will have to wait a while yet. :confused3
I too only have 2 pairs of jeans, i live in shorts. So I have been doing extra laundry too. Plus I only have one long sleeve shirt. Guess I should buy one more. At least it is a cool one with Goofy on it. :rotfl2:

Angela we saw lots of door signs for birthdays, they were so neat to see and I think the kids really got a kick out of seeing their pictures and birthday on a sign on the door. Have fun with doing it. i am still thinking of what to do for ours this time.

Kathy

Hello everyone -

It is rainy, windy and 57 degrees here in Michigan. It's supposed to get down to the teens and lower this weekend. BRRRRR!! The only thing that takes my mind off the sucky weather is planning our Disney Cruise vacation!!!

Strawberry -

You came across just fine! No worries, Mon!

Kathy -

I will probably start working on the signs this weekend! I plan to have them laminated so they can save them keepsakes.

I went to Disney website and ordered some personalized T-shirts for our trip! They are going to be so cute. Of course now I have to convince my 18 year old son to wear matching shirts with his mother and his brother :lmao:

I have a question for everyone concerning Travel insurance. I keep reading where people are saying you should not buy insurance from the cruiseline (not necessarily Disney). They recommend using a 3rd party insurance company and recommended use the insuremytrip website to find a carrier. If you don't mind me asking, what type of insurance (if any) is everybody using?

Hi Angela,
the first cruise we bought DCL's travel insurance.
Then my husband started reading in detail what it would save you if you had to cancel. 60 days out was 100% refund, but it is that way withot the insurance too. Then the closer you get to the cruise, the less you get back, either with or without the insurance. Anyway when he weighed the differences it was so little that for what it cost us for the insurance we really wouldnt save anymore with it if we had a last minute cancellation. So we have never bought it since. I dont know about airfare nsurance. We did have one of our kids cancel close to our cruis eonce and we did loose a lot fo money, but even witht he insurance we still would of lost as much, so it really didnt matter. Of course we have never had lost luggage either. i dont know what coverage there is for that.
That is just our opinion, I guess i would suggest reading the fine print and make your best decision for your situation.

We are suppose to hit almost 80 today!!!!
YIPPEE!!!
Have a great weekend everyone!!
Kathy

Thank you Kathy for repsonding.

I was reading the DCL insurance and I see that the company that provides it - Access America - does not provide coverage if you are flying Delta, which I am.

I found another company - Travel Insured that does cover Delta.

Anyone else have any input on this topic?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter