8th grade graduation gift?

Although I didn't attend any middle school graduations, as I mentioned earlier, I did go to DD14's 5th grade "graduation". The kids dressed up, and each child got to say a sentence or two about what they would miss or their favorite memory of the elementary school. While each child spoke, they put a kindergarten photo of that child up on the big screen. It was really cute!

While I personally don't think middle school graduations are a big deal, I don't see the harm in them. And I know they had them back when I was a kid--of course, then they were called junior high schools (I'm probably dating myself).

I had an 8th grade graduation ceremony back in 1975. No caps or gowns. No students' names announced. Just a short ceremony in the gym. Then a punch and cookie reception in the cafeteria. I don't think I got a gift. My parents may have taken me out for dinner later.

Older DD had something similar to mine. Younger DD had a more elaborate ceremony with caps and gowns. I gave them small gifts, but don't remember what.

No cap and gown here. They do have "recognition night", a yearbook, and a formal dance.

We did give our kids gifts, but we didn't have a party or anything like that.
My daughter got an iPad, and my son got Beats headphones.

8th grade graduation. What's the world coming to now?

Oh good lord,

'Hey, way to go (insert child's name).

Celebrations are so out of control these days.

*not directed at you OP..this is in general.

I "graduated" 8th grade in 1984 from the same school my kids "graduated " 8th grade from in 2014. We celebrated in exactly the same way back then as they do now - grad dance, honors night, class trip and "graduation." Actually back in 1984 our class trip was much more elaborate, and there was also an awards ceremony during they day. It is a lovely tradition for our community, and a nice opportunity for the kids to formally say good bye to their middle school and its teachers who line up and shake hands with each kid after her name is announced.

Last edited:
My daughter is graduating 8th grade next month. The school does an actual graduation ceremony with cap and gown etc. Did you get your child a gift for 8th graduation? If so what did you get?
No Pre-school, Kindergarten, 6th Grade or 8th grade Graduation or gift for me or my kids.
High School, Graduation yes, gift for only for College.

No Pre-school, Kindergarten, 6th Grade or 8th grade Graduation or gift for me or my kids.
High School, Graduation yes, gift for only for College.

I would think as long as ou can count, recognize colours, and not pee your pants you can't not pass kindergarten lol

We had preschool graduation with caps (no gowns). It was really cute. Walked in to Pomp and Circumstance then it was really just their end of year program complete with "Itsy Bitsy Spider".

We also had 5th grade graduation, but no caps or gowns. Really just the end of year awards ceremony and a sendoff to middle school.

8th grade graduation really was just the typical awards night with a sendoff to high school. No caps or gowns.

These are not gift giving occasions at all here. Not for any of my kids' friends either. Just like any other end of year awards night.

Last edited:
I would think as long as ou can count, recognize colours, and not pee your pants you can't not pass kindergarten lol
You'd be surprised. Some kids can read advanced material at that age but aren't ready to move on because they can't sit still, follow directions and focus on what need to for the length of the school day.

Our district doesn't have an 8th grade graduation ceremony. If they did, I wouldn't give a gift.

All 3 of mine had PreK and K graduations. Mostly it was a program and they got a little colorful certificate. All 3 also had an 8th grade graduation (school is only K-8). No caps and gowns but everything else is pretty much like the high school graduations.

None of those seems odd at all around here. All of the schools have them. And they don't take anything away from the high school and college graduations.

We gave each of ours gifts because it was just a way to recognize the rite of passage into high school, not because they had hit some big accomplishment. They were growing up, they were going to the same high school I went to and their Dad went to and all their uncles and aunts. They were finally going to "be Aggies".

My cousin's DD flunked kindergarten.

Lots of kids are held back in Kindergarten. Not always because they failed but sometimes they are immature and not ready for 1st grade. Sometimes its a lack of ability to follow directions or sit in a desk for 7 hours a day or whatever. Sometimes there are too many skills they are lacking on to make them able to succeed in 1st grade. Much better to be held back in K than later.

Our boys' school does do a big graduation ceremony for 8th grade, but since it's a private PreS-8th school, the students all scatter to a dozen or so different high schools, so for them, it really is moving on to the next phase of their life and often the last time they'll see many of their classmates.

That being said, as far as the OP's question goes, I can't for the life of me remember if we got our son a present for graduation? I think we just considered our summer vacation that year (Western Med. cruise) his present.

Lots of kids are held back in Kindergarten. Not always because they failed but sometimes they are immature and not ready for 1st grade. Sometimes its a lack of ability to follow directions or sit in a desk for 7 hours a day or whatever. Sometimes there are too many skills they are lacking on to make them able to succeed in 1st grade. Much better to be held back in K than later.
I know all this. Was just pointing out that it does happen.

Well....................
My wife followed in her father's footsteps. BOTH were expelled from Kindergarten for being "disruptive". But they both were in Texas, at a time when Kindergarten was not required.
So neither passed kindergarten.

They have an 8th grade graduation at my DD's school, it's 8:30-11am, and it's a few days before the 6th and 7th graders get out. They are expected to "dress up", husband and I will attend(we only have 1 child). Her and my husband are going to China at the end of June for a few weeks as a school "field trip", certain students got hand picked to go- she was one of them. We paid for that as her gift. LOL
We are also buying her a basketball goal(we were getting that anyway- just said it was her gift- as she plays ball all year round), and a few little things for her.

Not sure if I missed this but a flower bouquet is a suggestion. That was very common in TX. For special events parents would give the girls flowers ala Miss America style when they came off the stage.

I finished 8th grade in 1988. We got a certificate and that was it. No ceremony and parents, just a regular school assembly.

Some of my friends got gifts. I was thinking I would too. Uh...nope! My mom & dad told me completing 8th grade was not a milestone accomplishment, it was just expected of me.

As an adult, I agree with their stance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter