75 employees laid off at Pixar, including the director of Lightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about girls *gasp*.

Onward is actually about boys - but it falls into that niche D&D crowd a little too much. That said, I think it would have done well if not for the pandemic. Turning Red too - the red panda is cute and would have played well.

As an aside, the upcoming Marvels teaser looked so bad, when I saw it, I commented to my son that looks like one of the worst movies of the year (not just comic-book genre either).
Just because it isn't for you, doesn't mean its the worst movie ever. I think it looks hilarious and it's the first Marvel movie in a while I'm excited to see. My friend group also want to go see it.

Onward is actually about boys - but it falls into that niche D&D crowd a little too much. That said, I think it would have done well if not for the pandemic. Turning Red too - the red panda is cute and would have played well.
I was talking about Turning Red hahah. Agree tho, Onward is a nice family fantasy movie. It's really too bad about timing.

Just because it isn't for you, doesn't mean its the worst movie ever. I think it looks hilarious and it's the first Marvel movie in a while I'm excited to see. My friend group also want to go see it.

Yeah, it looked fine to me. I mean, it doens't look like the best MCU film ever, but it's solid. I liked the first CM a lot. The Ms. Marvel show was pretty good until that awful final episode. Still, the character is fine.

Just because it looks good to you, doesn't mean it will be a financially successful movie. See this goes both ways. A ton of people loved the idea of Ghostbusters 2016, but that didn't save it from losing a ton of money. Mass universal appeal is what sells in the current box office. You can do a niche film for a certain group of people, just not with a $250 million budget.

Just because it looks good to you, doesn't mean it will be a financially successful movie. See this goes both ways. A ton of people loved the idea of Ghostbusters 2016, but that didn't save it from losing a ton of money. Mass universal appeal is what sells in the current box office. You can do a niche film for a certain group of people, just not with a $250 million budget.
I absolutely love that what you said has nothing to do with what I said.

The first Captain Marvel movie made a ton of money.

Yeah, who's saying that? You are arguing with points that aren't even being made.

So will it be fair to compare the two financially after this one comes out?

It will, but I think more apt comparisons will be to MCU movies that came out this year. CM was pre-pandemic and we know how that just messed everything up. Thing are recovering in the theater space, but it will still be hard to tell. I'd compare it to Guardians 3 and Ant-Man 3.

I absolutely love that what you said has nothing to do with what I said.
You literally said the following: "I think it looks hilarious and it's the first Marvel movie in a while I'm excited to see. My friend group also want to go see it." You did this in response to someone else saying they thought it would flop.

So in essence you are saying it looks good to you and your friend group, in response to someone else saying it would be a really bad movie.

Bad movies to the average consumer typically don't do well in the box office, and great movies normally do.

It will, but I think more apt comparisons will be to MCU movies that came out this year. CM was pre-pandemic and we know how that just messed everything up. Thing are recovering in the theater space, but it will still be hard to tell. I'd compare it to Guardians 3 and Ant-Man 3.
Explain Top Gun Maverick and Super Mario then???

Why is the sketchy film industry after Covid only affecting some movies and a higher percentage of Disney movies? Disney+?

Nostalgia and familiarity sells in post Covid theatrical times. Original films don’t.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner folks!

So in essence give the fans what they want and you will make ton's of money. Use smaller budgets to push the envelope and do out of the box things on niche ideas. I agree with Brian that everything cannot be a massive theatrical event. However, budgets have to be brought back into line for this to be a successful plan.

Explain Top Gun Maverick and Super Mario then???

Why is the sketchy film industry after Covid only affecting some movies and a higher percentage of Disney movies? Disney+?

It's not really affecting a higher percentage of Disney movies - all are affected. How do you explain Flash? Shazam? Dungeons & Dragons? It's Top Gun and SMB that are the abberations. Also, Disney had this little movie called AVATAR, so.... You are cherry-picking examples.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner folks!

So in essence give the fans what they want and you will make ton's of money. Use smaller budgets to push the envelope and do out of the box things on niche ideas. I agree with Brian that everything cannot be a massive theatrical event. However, budgets have to be brought back into line for this to be a successful plan.
Yeah! More Sequels, Remakes, and Reboots!! Abandon the previous 90+ years of storytelling and just go generic nostalgia to give the audiences what they want instead!

It's not really affecting a higher percentage of Disney movies - all are affected. How do you explain Flash? Shazam? Dungeons & Dragons? It's Top Gun and SMB that are the abberations. Also, Disney had this little movie called AVATAR, so.... You are cherry-picking examples.
Flash is a mess, because DC is a mess. No one will invest any time / energy into a DC film when it is all getting rebooted soon anyway. Shazam is the same reason as Flash.

D&D is a niche film catering to a certain nerd culture crowd. It had no potential ever to be a big budget hit.

Avatar gave the fans what they wanted, more of the incredible world built during the first Avatar.

Avatar is not original, it pulls on the nostalgia heart strings also right?

I wasn't arguing about the nostalgia thing, but you're saying that Disney movies are failing at a higher rate - they're not. It's just that Disney puts out more movies than anyone else. Others are in the same boat. WBD is in WAY worse shape than Disney in my opinion.

Flash is a mess, because DC is a mess. No one will invest any time / energy into a DC film when it is all getting rebooted soon anyway. Shazam is the same reason as Flash.

D&D is a niche film catering to a certain nerd culture crowd. It had no potential ever to be a big budget hit.

Avatar gave the fans what they wanted, more of the incredible world built during the first Avatar.

Yes. Exactly. NON-DISNEY movies fail too. GASP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter