7 year old with CP and Big thunder mtn railroad?

KMP12

Mouseketeer
Our child is 7 and has CP. He is in a wheelchair and has mixed tone. I have our FPs done but am worried about Big Thunder Mtn Railroad. Can he sit between my husband and I? His does need upper body support.

That is one my daughter has never been on with us. She also has CP with mixed tone, but has pretty good upper body control,

It kind of depends on your size. Usually, 2 people sit per row, but I have seen 3 if the child (and adults) are pretty small.
The back of the seat is not very high, so not much back support. If he can sit between you, you would be able to brace him, but with only 2 people in the row, I sometimes get jostled around quite a bit. The restraint is a single bar that goes across the entire seat. So, if one person is significantly smaller than the other, the restraints may not hold them very securely.

This video will hopefully give you some insight. Guests with mobility devices don’t use the queue shown here because there is no way to get the wheelchair from the load to the unload side.
With a wheelchair, the CM will give you a time to return based on the current Standby wait time. When the time comes, you will enter the ride thru the exit.

I have spastic CP so I’m not too familiar with mixed tone issues directly. As has been said, the restraint on this ride is a single lap bar. He may be a bit loose in the seat between you. Does your son have the ability to brace with arms or legs? When I was young I always found it easier to sit between a parent and the side of the ride car. Big Thunder is a pretty shaky ride. This and SM are two rides I tend to skip these days because they do toss me around more than I like.

Also, on some of the cars, the very back one has a box at the bottom of it that opens up and swings out to allow room for a wheelchair transfer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter