Sarah.DisNerd

Earning My Ears
My mom and I have a trip planned for her birthday this year in the end of September. It's a big two week trip, and I really want to do something EXTRA special for her. We're best friends and I want to make this birthday one she'll never forget. Birthdays have been rough for us for many years, and I want to change that. She never got to have a 50th birthday celebration, and as I was only 14 at the time I couldn't plan one for her. I know it's something that she regrets, and I want this birthday to be her 50th do over in a sense. What I'd love is recommendations on all your best birthday memories, and not your standard ones either, I'm talking about the birthday you tell strangers about at the grocery store!
I already know I want to treat her to a special dinner at California Grill, but I need help planning the whole day, or preferably, the weekend (her birthday is on a Friday this year). I was thinking of maybe doing a scavenger hunt leading her to her favorite characters, rides, and restaurants, but I need that extra bit of pixie dust. Speaking of pixie dust, Tinkerbell is her absolute favorite Disney character and I want to incorporate Tink into the celebration. I'd love to get cast members involved in the scavenger hunt, but I don't know how to go about it. We love the cast members and I think if they were even able to hand her the next clue or something, it would make my mom grin from ear to ear.
I'd love any advice and ideas you guys can give me! Tysm!

What a fabulous treat for your Mom! Cali grill is a fabulous birthday spot. The best part is you can work with the bakery and order a special cake for you and your Mom to share. The mini cakes are amazing and perfect for 2 people. Check out the cake chatter thread (pinned on the restaurant page) for information on how to order and ideas. You could do a Tink theme. As for other ideas, my Disney bestie is one of those amazing over the top people who insists we select a theme for birthday weeks, so far we have done Villains, Mad Tea Party and next year is Haunted Mansion. She makes sure we have door decorations based on themes and will make necklaces based on the theme, have not done a scavenger hunt, their used to be a company that would create special gifts, but sadly Covid sent them out of business, The other thing we did that was fun was a monorail crawl...this will depend on how open things are in the fall but even if you are not into cocktails, it is fun to take the monorail to the different resorts. We started at Trader Sams at Poly (a must do if it is open) Grand Floridian, shopping and Enchanted Rose. We took a boat to Wilderness Lodge for some amazing cheese fondue and ended at the Contemporary for dinner at Cali Grill with fireworks and cake, see pics...

Attachments

• ACC419BD-A4C0-44DA-949C-90E8082B7E36.jpeg
    ACC419BD-A4C0-44DA-949C-90E8082B7E36.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 65E02EAE-31A9-4B54-B03F-D540441ACF6F.jpeg
    65E02EAE-31A9-4B54-B03F-D540441ACF6F.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 12
What are some of your Mom's favorite foods? What does she like to do while spending time at WDW or relaxing in general?

What a fabulous treat for your Mom! Cali grill is a fabulous birthday spot. The best part is you can work with the bakery and order a special cake for you and your Mom to share. The mini cakes are amazing and perfect for 2 people. Check out the cake chatter thread (pinned on the restaurant page) for information on how to order and ideas. You could do a Tink theme. As for other ideas, my Disney bestie is one of those amazing over the top people who insists we select a theme for birthday weeks, so far we have done Villains, Mad Tea Party and next year is Haunted Mansion. She makes sure we have door decorations based on themes and will make necklaces based on the theme, have not done a scavenger hunt, their used to be a company that would create special gifts, but sadly Covid sent them out of business, The other thing we did that was fun was a monorail crawl...this will depend on how open things are in the fall but even if you are not into cocktails, it is fun to take the monorail to the different resorts. We started at Trader Sams at Poly (a must do if it is open) Grand Floridian, shopping and Enchanted Rose. We took a boat to Wilderness Lodge for some amazing cheese fondue and ended at the Contemporary for dinner at Cali Grill with fireworks and cake, see pics...
Wow those cakes are beautiful! I definitely will order one for her! Thank you for sharing all these ideas

What are some of your Mom's favorite foods? What does she like to do while spending time at WDW or relaxing in general?
She loves seafood, steak, and as far as desserts go she loves any apple strudel related or raspberry white chocolate. I think her favorite thing to do at Disney is wandering through the pavilions at Epcot. She loves to take the time to see all the details and performers (I’m really hoping. The performers will be back when we go!). Same thing for Animal Kingdom and all the trails. She loves to read but rarely gets to, her favorite author is Charles Dickens.

I think part of it depends on when you are going and what changes have been made at the time. Make sure she gets a birthday button, she will get lots of people saying happy birthday which always makes me smile. While this is not viable right now, one year on my birthday we bought a little notebook and went to all the countries in Epcot, got a CM to write happy birthday in their language on each page (some wrote more than that), bought a pin in each country and took a picture of the pavilion. When I got home I made sort of a shadow box with all of them. Cheap and easy and lots of fun.

One year we happened to be at AKL for mother's day and my son and his then wife had pre-ordered a present sent to the room so it was there when we arrived. It was a box with a beautiful rose, a balloon, a crown and scepter and a pretty charm bracelet. I'm not sure if they are still doing things like that.

If they are have the progressive meal along the monorail route by then it is fun. A bit expensive but fun.

Tea at the Grand Floridian is also fun, I don't think they are doing it right now but depends on when you are going.

I'm also a huge Tink fan, started when I was a little girl. I was born near Pasadena and my family went to DL a lot. Mama had a silver charm bracelet and one of the charms was Tink. I loved hearing the clink clink of the bracelet when she wore it and Tink was just so pretty. I now own that bracelet, but also started a Disney bracelet of my own. I have a silver one that is just Disney, it is one of the cheaper kids starter ones you can buy and I've added to it. I also have a silver bracelet filled with charms of places I've visited through the years and it has a Tink on it. I also have a gold one with Tink on it. Years ago I found an actual silver bell at WDW with Tink on the top, Tinker bell. On days I need a little cheer, I'll pick it up and tinkle it for luck. It's not easy to find adult like Tink stuff in the parks but it is doable so you might buy her a charm or something else with Tink on it. I also have a cute hat I bought at MK that has Tink on it and says "Don't even Tink about it". It might be cute to look on the ShopDisney app. and buy some cute little Tink something for each day of the trip and find some creative way to give it to her each day. Doesn't have to be anything expensive.

I think most of all she will just appreciate being with you and in the magic. I love Epcot and WS so every single day of a trip we spend part of the day just wandering around there, grabbing something to eat or a refreshing adult beverage and enjoying the detail. As I've gotten older I've found things don't matter that much for my birthday as much as just little things and you can't beat a trip to WDW for that.

I am just a couple years older than your Ma. I think high tea at the Grand Floridian Cafe would be such a nice extra. Also think about the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. You get to spend time in the utilidors under the MK. This tour is five hours and is wonderful. If you really want to splurge the full day behind the scenes tour is absolutely amazing!! This tour also takes you into the utilidors. These tours are small groups and I bet when you schedule if you tell them it is your Mom's 60th they will give her special recognition. The full day tour includes a very nice lunch at Whispering Canyon. When we went they had bananas foster for dessert. I am very allergic to bananas. I quietly refused the dessert not expecting a thing. They asked if I liked chocolate? Well - yes!! Our wait staff named, MT, literally served me an entire chocolate cake!!! Everyone was laughing because I was so embarrased. Needless to say, I shared with my tour friends. We alwasy go back to Whispering Canyon to sit in MTs section when we are at WDW. Also a spa facial or other treatment would be nice. Have a wonderful time building memories with your Ma. She is lucky to have you for a daughter. I have not had my mother since I was six years old and do not have a daughter. You are fortunate. Enjoy!!!

My son is taking me for my 50th birthday. It’s also in September. He’s letting me plan what I want to do on what days. When I say letting, I mean making. LOL.

I would definitely note her birthday on the reservation. also, grab her a birthday button from City Hall. It will possibly get her a bit of magic. Nothing is promised, but I got a free Starbucks coffee once. LOL.

I think you know your mom best. While some say CA Grill, I'd pass that up any day to have the dessert cruise with just my hubby. September heat is brutal, and my mom only wanted half days to go back and rest or swim. She'd prefer Hoop-Dee-Doo over CG, but that's her style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter