60% Chance of rain during my ENTIRE trip next week...any advice?

I think I jinxed my trip last week. We got rain every day except 1. We were a group of 12. I'd convinced the 8 other people to go with us in September and for 4 of them this was their first trip to Disney. I told them we've always been so lucky, never having rain when we go. I always say it's like Disney has a giant umbrella over it and we rarely see more than 15 mins of rain for our whole week. Well, this year was pretty bad. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't just 15 minute showers either it was hours at times. Luckily we pretty much got everything done that we wanted but my lesson learned was to buy ponchos ahead of time. We didn't buy any there either so we stood in shops quite a bit or just said screw it and went out in the rain and got pretty wet. I think we could've done even more had we had ponchos.

If it looks like a lot of rain, bring a change of shoes to the park. Clothes usually dry, it is the dang shoes that can make you miserable. :(

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for posting.

I think you were reading my mind. I am going 10/2 - 10/8 and when I checked it said 60% rain for the first 4 days and my heart just sank. I too had pre-purchased the photo pass + and was afraid I won't get many pictures.

Thanks for all the advise guys & gals !! This made me feel so much better.

We've learned a lot about dealing with rain from our camping and travel adventures. Basically, there are two ways to handle it- either don't get wet, or get wet and dry out quickly (We learned that in Hawaii- they don't wear flipflops and rayon shirts for nothing ;) !). Here is my list that combines those two tactics, and it works no matter where we are:

1. If it's threatening rain, we carry our packable rain jackets.

2. We always wear athletic sandals/water shoes- Merrell and Teva are my favorites. They're good support for the feet, are great when it's hot, and they can get wet- soaking, wading-through-rivers wet. :) My daughter just wears flipflops, but I'm WAY too old for that.

3. I carry a small microfiber towel.

4. And finally, we never, ever wear cotton pants/shorts/skirt- it's synthetic microfiber all the way! They dry in a flash and are easy to wash so if you only want to pack one or two pair, they'll last you the whole trip. Personally, I also wear a silk, rayon or microfiber top, but it's not as critical.

Once it was raining so hard that there was water eight inches deep in Tomorrowland, and we walked right on through. We also don't have to worry about getting too wet on any of the water rides, because we'll dry out fast!

No worries - it's no longer 'summer' so the daily July and August afternoon rain is not as typical now.

But - like others have said, you could be at your hotel and it's raining but not at the parks. We live close to the parks, and we take the kids and go anyway if it is raining at our house because lots of times it is not raining at our park of choice. Or by the time you get over to a park, the rain has stopped, as typically it only rains here for a short time. Tropical storms and hurricanes are a whole other story.

One suggestion that many Orlando residents rely on is to check the interactive weather map on accuweather, weatherchannel, etc., if you've brought your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. The map will give you a good idea of any rain moving into the area and when. You can watch the weather on TV, but then again it may not rain where you are.

Bottom line: it might rain but just go anyway!

I found that the throw away ponchos worked well for us last week. They are small and easy to carry....and you don't mind throwing them away once you're done instead for worrying about getting them dry and trying to package them up small again. I will bring a set for every park day in the future.

Bring an extra pair of shoes or shoes that can weather the rain....that way the following sunny day you aren't slushing around in soggy shoes.

Keep treking....it's warm so the rain is bearable. It rained nearly every day we were there last week......we just kept going.

Some rides do close during thunder/lightning.....like Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, and other "outside rides."

When you see the rain clouds moving in....get to a show like Hall of Pres, Carousel of Progress, etc. or some area of the park that has indoor touring/shopping. The rain will likely pass and be done by the time you are out.

Have fun.....those rain drops are just extra droplets of Pixie Dust. pixiedust:

I am in the camp with those that say if it is raining, go and enjoy the short lines! that said, I dislike having wet pants - and when you sit down in a ride with wet seats, you soon have one of your own. So i bring rain pants and a super duper breathable, raincoat that is moisture repellant - that never gets wet even if you walk in the rain for hours. ponchos blow in the wind and you get wet and they never stay under you on wet seats. In my rainsuit with a small umbrella I am a happy camper. I was at WDW MK with a disser friend one year and we kept waiting for the rain to stop and over 3 hours later it was still pouring and gusting so we headed out and the water was at least 3 to 5 inches deep on the way to the buses. so it can get really really wet - but there is still lots to do and it doesn't usually even in a storm like that last the whole trip. So play in innovations, ride Ellen's adventure - do the inside stuff, have a bite to eat... If it doesn't let up, go see a movie in dtd or go back to your room and watch Disney movies there.

All great advice here! Just a few extra thoughts:

1) If you're worried about rain now, I can tell you that rain in relatively warm weather is FAR BETTER than rain in colder and windy February or early March temps. We've done warm rain and cold rain at WDW, so we're not quite as concerned for our upcoming October trip.

2) I'm a big fan of disposable ponchos for many reasons, but my family said "no more!" We're bringing our rain jackets and WDW ponchos (although I can't resist packing the disposables too.) The disposable ones don't last long and we end up getting too wet.

3) As previous posters mentioned, shoes are a big part of this. Crocs for the kids, merrells for my husband and me.

And please don't worry too much about the photos - one of our favorite pictures is the five of us outside of MK in ponchos and soaking wet. Same for childhood photos - love the ones of us huddled together in our Disney ponchos!

We're going the same time you are so we were worried about the forecast. But in our experience Florida weather can be temperamental. It can rain one minute and be dry the next. Just pack for the weather, bring shoes that can get wet. Go by the dollar store and get ponchos (in colors other than Disney sells - otherwise your family will get lost in the crowd). Maybe we'll see you there, have a great trip!

We were there 9/15 to 9/22, we usually go in Oct/Nov and this year we had alot of rain. Tuesday, the 18th we had MK planned for the day and it rained almost all day. It stopped for a while but then continued in the afternoon. To be honest, I kept saying to myself, 'I will never go this time of year again". We have never had so much rain, we felt that it took away from our vacation, rain was just torrential at times, we were stranded in attractions, gift shops.

1. buy a poncho

2. scout out your inside rides/attractions and ride them during rainy times.

3. in Florida, we get a lot of late afternoon showers. Chances might be better that you will see less rain during the early part of the day.

4. have fun anyway.

I have never been to Walt Disney that I didn't have some rainy days. It has never ruined our trip. We just whip out the old ponchos and keep going! LOL! We have been denied a few rides if it starts lightning. Its a good time to see some shows, eat or shop!

I grew up in Jacksonville, FL. Sometimes it would rain in the back yard and be sunny in the front or vice versa. Welcome to FLORIDA!

On our June, 2009 it rained several days off and on all day. We took $1 ponchos (multiple for each) and pressed forward. We barely had to deal with being wet as many of the attractions were inside. Just plan for the worst and hope for the best. As many have mentioned the crowds DROP when it rains in the parks which made for a much easier time of getting things done.

Enjoy your trip!

:(I usually never check the weather for any trip that I go on...but I am bored at work so I did (plus I can't stop thinking about my trip!). We are leaving on wed 10/3 coming back 10/9.

I have lucked out and it has never rained any time I have been to Disney or Universal in my whole life.

Any advice about what to do in the rain?

Are ponchos the way to go?

Do the rides shut down?

Does AK close?

I dont have park hopper and only have one AK day planned and I love it there.

I am also sad because I purchased photopass plus and was really hoping to get some nice pictures...not rainy pics ...and not no pics if there are no characters out :(

I'll be there the same time as you, and please, don't worry about it. I've had the same experience at WDW before: rain blows through for a hour (sometimes we completely miss it), and then it's sunny again. I just bring my good ponchos from home and keep enjoying the magic. Keep taking photos, enjoy the lighter crowds and travel with ponchos. I love AK too, and sometimes a little post-rain mist actually adds to the ambiance (think tropical rain forest). Have a wonderful trip! pixiedust:

WDW is what you make of it and there is no way you should let any rain dampen your spirit or steal the magic. As long as you've got rain gear and stay positive, you'll still have a great time. It is WDW after all, and nothing can ruin that magic!

A few years ago we went in May and a massive storm front stalled over the area for almost 2 weeks. It rained all day everyday we were there. We were prepared with rain gear and crocs and still had a great time-one of the best visits we had actually. We'd get up and go to the parks in ponchos for opening and would stay until around lunchtime. By that time we'd have completed almost all of what we wanted to do in the park because of having virtually no wait times at all-the parks are quite quiet in the rain. Then we'd go back to the hotel for the afternoon to get fresh clothes-my purse always seemed to get wet despite being under the poncho and we'd grab a snack and maybe a nap and rest up until dinner. I usually spent some of our rest time taking a shower, donning dry shorts, hair drying my purse, and watching tv with a snack. Then we'd head back out well rested and relaxed and head to the parks for dinner and an evening show and rides we wanted to go on again.

It was the most relaxed trip we've ever had and we have some of the best memories from that trip. We did so many things that we never would have had time for and got to do a lot of spontaneous things we never would have been able to do if it hadn't rained. We got tons of great photos of us in places we never would have been able to do with the normal crowds and most of them have no people in the background-an even rarer thing! Plus, the people who are left in the parks in the rain and the best! They are the die hards dis fans that really love WDW and can have a great time no matter what-the nicest WDW fans of all!

Just have rain gear and a positive attitude and you'll be sure to have a great time despite the rain! :)

I was there in April and *every single* day there was a 60 - 80% chance of rain. I worried myself sick over it. Lugged ponchos and umbrellas around every freaking day......well it may have rained overnight but it only rained badly during the day ONCE and it was for about an hour at about 5:00 p.m. A couple other times it sprinkled (didn't even need a poncho or umbrella) for a few minutes. other than that - warm and sunny the entire time!!!!

Bring your ponchos, wear shoes that can handle getting wet, and keep on going.

QUOTE]
yeah, what she said.
i don't melt and i like it when others are huddling under a roof and i can walk about. DO wear shoes that can get wet or bring a pair of flipflops to change into. I have been in the MK when water was swirling up around our ankles...that wasn't real pleasant. But it didn't stop us. :)

we will be there the same time. Hope you have a great trip.

I don't print off our 10 day until the day before we leave - it changes countless times before that. I just looked up the first few days you are there and the forecast isn't all that bad. Either way, put on a poncho and have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter