60% Chance of rain during my ENTIRE trip next week...any advice?

rrali33tt

Mouseketeer
:(I usually never check the weather for any trip that I go on...but I am bored at work so I did (plus I can't stop thinking about my trip!). We are leaving on wed 10/3 coming back 10/9.

I have lucked out and it has never rained any time I have been to Disney or Universal in my whole life.

Any advice about what to do in the rain?

Are ponchos the way to go?

Do the rides shut down?

Does AK close?

I dont have park hopper and only have one AK day planned and I love it there.

I am also sad because I purchased photopass plus and was really hoping to get some nice pictures...not rainy pics ...and not no pics if there are no characters out :(

Check back a couple of days before.

If you don't like the weather in Florida, it will change, and you cannot know at this point what the weather will actually be next week.

I'm watching this Sunday, and it changes day to day.

Some rides shut down (like Test Track which isn't open anyway)

AK does not close.

Moving this to Theme Parks, Attractions and Strategies.

Well--first of all the forecast may be entirely wrong.

And if it does rain, it might just rain in one place and not another. Or just in the morning and not the afternoon.

But rain isn't really a problem at WDW--at least it never has been for us. Just pack a poncho and make your regular plans!!

Are they calling for "scattered" or "isolated" storms? We were there from sept 16-22 and it rained almost every single day.....but....it only rained for an hour or so here and there, for the most part.

The day we went to AK, it rained during the lunch hour, while we were comfortably inside Yak and Yeti, then it stopped and there was only a fine mist of rain for the remainder of the day.

I tink it rained 2 days during the lunch hour and 2 evenings...but not until 8pm or 9pm. A few other days, there were some periods of misty rain..enough to curl my hair and make for some so-so pictures, but not enough to close any rides.

The only disruption to our plans was that it rained during our evening at DHS..it started at 7pm and it was pretty steady. We were supposed to see Fantasmic at 8pm but we just weren't up for sitting in the rain. It was at the end of the week and we were tired, so we went back to the hotel.

We didn't have ponchos...I probably should have packed them, but since we didn't, I wasn't about to pay $$$ for 5 Disney ponchos, so we winged it.

Good luck! Try not to worry too much.

My favorites memories of WDW where under rain.
In fact, I like when it rains in WDW. A lot of people just don't go in the parks because of it, but everything is indoor there, so it's realy not a problem.

You often end up with low crowds and not that much rain.

Bring your ponchos, wear shoes that can handle getting wet, and keep on going.

We were there the same time as Heidi P, and as she said, it rained almost every day. It mixed up our touring in MK a little since some of the rides shut down during the rain, but we still did everything we wanted to get done. We just did other attractions during the rainy times and checked in on the closed ones via my smart phone to see when they opened again. We threw on our ponchos and walked onward. The kids made a game out of it, and they named us the Order of the Banana because we all were wearing the yellow ponchos. The rains were heavy at times, and my skirts even got wet under the poncho from the splashing up. However, we were all dry within an hour or two of the rain stopping.

We still have lots of Photopass photos from non-rainy times or characters who were under shelter during misty times. We even have a photo of us all in our ponchos in front of the Epcot ball one night when it was raining. The photopass photographer was under the turnstile roof, so dry, and we all stood in the rain.

@TDC Nala

Thank u for moving my thread I didn't realized I posted it in restaurants at the time--woops!

We did AK last month the dayof Hurricane Isaac. We got there at rope drop and stayed until park close. It POURED all day unil about 1:00ish?? Anyway...everyhing was open... We rode EE 3x in the pouring rain when we first got there again and again...the rain stung a bit but was awesoooome. Kilamanjaro Safari was great bc the animals were very active in the rain. The male lion was even roaring !!!! Put a poncho on and enjoy the empty parks!!! :)

Watch the local news station before you go to bed and then when you wake up. Avoid F & W in the rain as it's like enjoying a picnic in the rain.

I hope you get a lot more sun than you're expecting.

:)

I barely even pay attention the day OF anymore. Too many times I was told it would downpour the morning before I went out, and it turned out to be a beautiful sunny day.

Unless a hurricane or tropical storm is about to hit, just make your plans and deal with whatever comes.

Florida's weather is funny! It may say rain, and it may rain, but you may never even notice it. I've been at my hotel and left to go to EPCOT to find out that it poured in EPCOT. When I got to EPCOT, everyone had left and there were no lines. Apparently it had rained at my hotel, while I was in EPCOT. Never saw one drop.

There are plenty of places to hide out if it rains too hard. Yes, you can get a poncho, however, I would suggest bringing a good one from home or purchaseing one from Disney (and keeping it in the luggage for future trips) is the way to go. The cheap ones rip and stick to you.

I have only had bad weather once where it interrupted my vacation. And, we were in EPCOT and watched the Japanese sugar woman make many very cool sugar animals. We were there about a 1/2 hour. Which, had it not rained, we would never had seen. It rained the entire week we were there, and, except for bad hair days, we had a great time!!

Have a great vacation and don't let what the weather may or may not do disturb the fact that you are in the happiest place in the World. :goodvibes

If it does rain, be prepared ....to have a great time! Seriously, as long as you have quick dry clothes and shoes and have a good raincoat or poncho you are set. We wear water shoes or crocs or sandals so the water will run right off them and set quick. We have shorts that are quick dry so when they do get wet and t stops raining they dry in a few mins. We have lightweight raincoats we wear, they fold up small once dry but good ponchos work just as well. Plus, the parks clear out for any significant rain so as long as there isn't lightning around then things stay open and there are a lot less ppl around! We do not like rain ruin our time there and have found it to be a lot of fun with a little planning as stated above and a good attitude. Have a great trip whether its a dry or wet one!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We are heading down tomorrow until Oct 7th and the forecast has changed constantly. I ordered a few hardy ponchos and bought a bunch of throw away ones as well. We will also have crocs and hats and umbrellas.

We have spent so much time and planning and are excited rain or shine: )

Dont owrrie about it. Buy some ponchos ahead of time as Disney charges alot for them. Remember it if Florida and it raines every day at 3pm for a few min.

I will be there Oct 3-8 and have been watching the forecast since the ten day mark. One day it's 60% chance the next day 10% the next day 30%. I never worry about it until I'm there. I just put my Disney poncho on and off I go!

maux.

Don't worry to much so far in advance. We arrive the 4th and I been checking the weather and this how much the predictions have vary since. First it was 85 and sunny, then it was 80 with rain and thunderstorms and a 60% chance of rain, then it was 85 with 20% of rain. Now it says Isolated T-Storms 30% chance of rain. All this variations in the past 2 days. Once it is only a day or two ago start planing weather wise. Have a great trip :goodvibes.

Pack as if it will rain a lot and then don't worry! It said it was going to rain almost everyday we were there. Mostly there were little bits of rain here and there - no big deal. One day it rained for several hours we were in the park. We put on our ponchos and all was fine. We wore Keens sandals - I forget which kind, perhaps Newport - that could handle getting wet just fine and they were comfortable too. It did not ruin a thing. Take a swim towel to dry off ride seats. You don't say the ages going on this vacation, but I read a tip about strollers before we went - always put the rain cover on when you park it if there may be a chance of rain. It did rain while we were at lunch - it poured for about 15 minutes. So glad the stroller was covered!!

On the rainy morning at DHS, the characters were inside. Have fun and don't stress about it.

We'll be there from the 2nd-10th and I'm not worried one bit. Nothing is certain till it happens especially in Florida. I still watch the weather but I don't freak about it if they're showing rain everyday (which they have to in Florida)...

I was just in WDW and got home yesterday after 8 days down there. 9/19-9/26. Before we left, the weather forecast said rain or thunderstorms every single day. Even while I was there I would check the weather for the upcoming days and it always said AT LEAST 50% chance of rain. Well, it only rained one day during our entire trip, and that was last Saturday. It rained for pretty much the entire afternoon and evening and nto the night but that was it. We just shopped that night and had dinner and went in the hot tub at the hotel. But other than that, the forecasts were completely off. A few afternoons were cloudy and looked like it MAY rain, but never a drop.

My advice, pack some shoes you dont care about getting wet, and bring a poncho and go about your business as you had originally planned. Like everyone says, "a rainy day in Disney is better than a nice day at home" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter