50s diner?

littlesuitcase

Mouseketeer
We are trying to decide what to do about lunch on the day we go to MGM. I am not sure my son would deal well with some of the servers at this diner - he could end up covering his eyes and crying and not eating at all - he often shuts himself off completely when something happens that he can't deal with including lying on the floor! He doesn't eat a lot of variety and always has ketchup - and from what I have read this place really expects you to clean your plate.

Can I tell them when I book the PS or do we go somewhere else? SciFi - get pizza at the buzz light year spot or just bring sandwhiches and go somewhere else for dinner?

My daughter thinks this place looks fun but I don't want to go at the expense of our son if it would be a bad choice.

Helen

I can tell you it's loud and there is a lot of teasing about cleaing plates etc... lots of interaction between CMs and diners. It's very busy and active. Lots and lots of input everywhere.

Saying something when making the ressies will be helpful, but a reminder at the time you go in, again as you are being seating and again with your server will help.

You are not forced to clean your plate if you don't want to!!! We love this place.

i was very very shy when i was younger (still kind of am, LOL) and i think i would've hated this place. i've only been once, i was 20 and with a large group including one girl who is very talkative so the CMs picked on her mostly. i'd be wary, but SueOKW has a good point about constantly reminding the servers - I can't imagine they would ignore your request to be a little less 'in your face.' Also, the food there seems to be better than at most of the other MGM restraunts (save brown derby, but that's a bit pricey for me)

I'm sure if you clued the staff when you arrived about your son they would adjust the meal presentation. We saw some CM that were very laid back and some that were over the top. If your son reacts to other people getting the "business" maybe another restaurant would be better for you. We did enjoy our meal here and our waiter scaled it back a bit when he saw my DB was not as eager to participate.

We have been lots of times....one of our favorites in all of WDW. But our family is so silly which makes the 50's right up our alley! Just be ready and tell your son about what will be going on if you do go.

We were there once and I personally didn't like it. It is a better place for people who will not be intimidate by the server.
But, I'm sure that they would try to accomidate you. The most important would be to tell the CM when you check in for your PS that you need a more "mellow" CM and that you are willing to wait longer, if necessary, to get one. Then, as you are being seated, tell the server.

We have eaten a number of times at the Sci-Fi. It is dimly lit, so the environment is a bit low stim, but there are Sci-Fi movie trailers running on a screen all the time, so it is "busy" and noisy. You sit in "car seats" (bench seating) with a shallow table in front of you. There may be other people sitting in front of you. They also have some regular tables in the back of the restaurant.

We were there last w/e and loved it. My DD in a wheelchair is outgoing, and wasn't worried about the crazy stuff going on there. It could be hard if you're shy or made nervous by loud and in-your-face CM's. :jumping4:

we went last weekend and our server did NOTHING special except to keep calling us "kids." we were SO disappointed. we could hear lots of other servers interacting with guests and felt left out. oh well, the luck of the draw.

in 2003 we went to a similar restaurant, the whispering canyon cafe. my then DD7 hated it when she was kidded about eating her mac n cheese.

i'm sure that if you tell the server in advance not to interact with your child, the server will respect your request. also remember to consider how your child will react if there's interaction between the server and others in your party.

dj

p.s. - i "cleaned my plate" of specially prepared sauteed veggies that a wonderful chef made for me when i mentioned my food allergies to "Aunt Susan." i hadn't pre-arranged anything and was prepared just to watch DD12 eat and soak up the atmosphere, but instead i ate the most delicious meal! I wish i could cook like that....

We ate there on our trip and our cm was very "tuned in" to us. My family husband and I are pretty quiet, not outgoing, and our cm just teased us a little bit, although he went all out with a table nearby. They were also very nice, offering to let us go out and get out stroller (although they were crowded) because my 20lb 9 month old fell asleep in my lap and was making it really difficult for me to eat! I didn't ask (and I didn't take them up on it), they just saw the situation and offered which really impressed me and that makes me think that they would be accomodating to your situation as well.

I have diabetes and was unable to eat a portion of my meal at this restaurant. The servers did not give me any problems. While they may tease, the minute you indicate that you are not eating something because you have a medical reason it stops completely. Just explain quietly to the server that your child has a problem and there will be no teasing and he willl be treated kindly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter