50 Point DVC Buy In

I don't know what it was before ( 160? 100?) But 50 seems pretty low.

IMHO, 50 points is not too low for the right, INFORMED, buyer.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the DVC Guides are motivated to inform customers about the potential pitfalls of having a small contract.

Plus, Disney is trying to sell BLT & AKV. I think 50 point contracts work best at OKW & BWV.

We just purchased DVC this month. Our guide said we could buy in as low as 50 points direct. He mentioned this after we told him we were looking at resales.
While we could have made due with 50 points, we decided 100 points would be a better fit for our needs.

Since last year I've been tracking DVC deeds that are sold and recorded with the Orange County Comptroller. To date, I have yet to see a new master contract for less than 100 points. If Disney is selling entry level contracts for less than 100 points, then they haven't been recorded yet. Or, perhaps, no one is buying as little as 50 points direct from Disney to join the DVC

To me, the fact that they lowered the minimum to 100 points showed they were having difficulty maintaining adequate sales levels in this economy.

If the information about a 50 point minimum is accurate (you never can tell with a guide or a bus driver), they must really be hurting for sales. Which would not be surprising when you look at the disparity between direct and resale prices -- resale is WAY lower.

It makes sense to me.. People are buying 50 pointers on the resale market and becoming Members, and Disney wants a part of that market.

On a side note, I would like to see a limit on AP discounts for Members with those small contracts.

MG

Problem is you can't really do a lot with 50 points but then again it may all be related to cash flow.

Disney's selling 50 point contracts to new purchasers borders on fraud unless the guide specifically explains that Disney has reserved the right to change the current minimum one-night stay to up to 5 nights so that such a purchaser knows he could be blocked out from reserving at all (e.g., at BLT, it is impossible to get five nights in a row at any room for 50 points).

To me, the fact that they lowered the minimum to 100 points showed they were having difficulty maintaining adequate sales levels in this economy.

If the information about a 50 point minimum is accurate (you never can tell with a guide or a bus driver), they must really be hurting for sales. Which would not be surprising when you look at the disparity between direct and resale prices -- resale is WAY lower.

I suspect sales are not a problem. Based on data on DVCNews.com...
It's true 2009, was lower than 2007 and 2008.
However 2009 had 10% more contracts sold than 2006.

The supply side of the equation likely plays a bigger factor. In the last 14 months, 4 new DVC areas opened (Kidani May 2009, BLT August 2009, THV 2009, VGC 2009). In addition, Disney received a number of foreclosures during the downturn. Now, Aulani sales are starting. If memory serves me correctly, wdrl posted that Aulani has over 11 million points. Compare that to AKV with 7.4 million and BLT with 5.7 million points.

Problem is you can't really do a lot with 50 points but then again it may all be related to cash flow.

but...if you take 1 - 5 day vacation a year and stay in studios in off season, or go on a nice vacation every other year...it is enough!

Disney's selling 50 point contracts to new purchasers borders on fraud unless the guide specifically explains that Disney has reserved the right to change the current minimum one-night stay to up to 5 nights so that such a purchaser knows he could be blocked out from reserving at all (e.g., at BLT, it is impossible to get five nights in a row at any room for 50 points).

Based on 2011 point charts, there are only 5 resorts that a person could stay in for 5 nights (Sun-Thur)...
  • AKV - 45 points (value)
  • BLT - 70 points (standard)
  • BCV - 75 points
  • BWV - 50 points (standard)
  • HHI - 30 points
  • OKW - 50 points
  • SSR - 65 points
  • VB - 50 points
  • VGC - 85 points
  • VWL - 75 points

I'm posting this more for my own benefit than for anyone else ...

Dear bwvBound,

50 points will cost you ~$5000 if purchased direct from DVD and will get you only one weekend each year in a Grand Californian studio. That is two nights a year (Fri/Sat), in the Adventure and Choice seasons, for $5k upfront and ~$250/year in dues. Yes, the travel dates are limited -- 50 points is not enough to secure a studio weekend during Magic and Premier seasons.

Compare: You are staying tonight in a nearby 2BR unit for only $55 on Bonus Time for the D23 event. (Heart: bbbbbbut, but this is mid-week and the resort isn't the Grand Californian!) Oh, right -- weekends at the same nearby resort are still ~$110 for the same size, you've been rather successful snagging smaller units .... and while not the Grand, it is within walking distance.

(Heart: pouting)
What? You still want more DVC points? Silly, bwvBound! $5k upfront? Are you kidding? For two nights a year + dues? Think what that $5k could buy for the house! You really don't need any more timeshare but even if you did, consider more points with your other club or maybe DVC resale. Whatever you do, keep your eyes off the threads about Aulani. Don't even go there!

----------
Folks -- if you see me considering an add-on, would you kindly point me back to my post here? I'd be ever so grateful. Thank you!

I'm posting this more for my own benefit than for anyone else ...

Dear bwvBound,

50 points will cost you ~$5000 if purchased direct from DVD and will get you only one weekend each year in a Grand Californian studio. That is two nights a year (Fri/Sat), in the Adventure and Choice seasons, for $5k upfront and ~$250/year in dues. Yes, the travel dates are limited -- 50 points is not enough to secure a studio weekend during Magic and Premier seasons.

Compare: You are staying tonight in a nearby 2BR unit for only $55 on Bonus Time for the D23 event. (Heart: bbbbbbut, but this is mid-week and the resort isn't the Grand Californian!) Oh, right -- weekends at the same nearby resort are still ~$110 for the same size, you've been rather successful snagging smaller units .... and while not the Grand, it is within walking distance.

(Heart: pouting)
What? You still want more DVC points? Silly, bwvBound! $5k upfront? Are you kidding? For two nights a year + dues? Think what that $5k could buy for the house! You really don't need any more timeshare but even if you did, consider more points with your other club or maybe DVC resale. Whatever you do, keep your eyes off the threads about Aulani. Don't even go there!

----------
Folks -- if you see me considering an add-on, would you kindly point me back to my post here? I'd be ever so grateful. Thank you!
Almost..
We just added VGC for $93/pt ($4650 for 50), and dues on 50 points are less than $200. In addition, since you're talking add-ons, the requirement you stated is between 44 and 48 points. So, now the cost is $4092 plus $195 in fees.

Figure the $110/nt for the off site property will be taxed, and when the math is done you have roughly $4000 in addition outlay for the Grand.
($110, 2 nights, plus tax, less VGC annual fees).

Divide that by 50 years, and you are paying a premium of $80 per year to stay at the Grand.

I say well worth it!

Just another way to look at it..
MG

LOL, MG -- you aren't helping! :lmao:

The reason the "50-point new buy-in" catches my interest is that we've discovered that the OCT UY of our WDW points don't support our west coast usage habits. I've been watching for a small APRIL resale and finding slim pickings.

Still trying to keep myself on the "NoGo" side of this "Go/NoGo" decision.

LOL, MG -- you aren't helping! :lmao:

The reason the "50-point new buy-in" catches my interest is that we've discovered that the OCT UY of our WDW points don't support our west coast usage habits. I've been watching for a small APRIL resale and finding slim pickings.

Still trying to keep myself on the "NoGo" side of this "Go/NoGo" decision.
Thought I might be of help.. :teeth:

MG

On a side note, I would like to see a limit on AP discounts for Members with those small contracts.

MG

Everything is relative. Disney just upped the maximum number of points that owners can have at one resort up to to 4,000 points and up to 8,000 at all resorts. So my teeny weenie 360 points are probably a "small contract" to those high rollers. Please, Please, Please don't suggest that they take away my AP discount just because I am a small owner. :laughing:

And don't forget that the Master Declaration of Condominium at all DVC resorts permits Disney to suspend banking and borrowing. A lot of people, myself included, have added on, or have thought of adding on, at another DVC resort and then use the banking and borrowing process to get longer stays or larger accommodations. If we could only use current year points, then there will be a lot of unhappy members. Although I know that Disney can suspend banking and borrowing, or require a minimum stay of 5 days, or even remove a resort from the DVC Vacation Plan, I very seriously doubt those things will happen. But I also thought Italy would make it to the quarterfinals of the World Cup, so what do I know?

Overall, I'm not bothered if Disney sells 50 point entry level contracts. I'd rather have a buyer stay within their budget than overextend themselves financially. As a PP said, the resale market already allows someone to join the DVC for as little as 25 points. Some people have said that these 50-point members will increase the competition for reservations at the 11-month mark. But as an owner at BLT and AKV, it doesn't matter to me whether I'm competing with a new owner who only has 50 points, or an OKW veteran who has 1,000 points at OKW and added 50 points at BLT or AKV. The impact is essentially the same. And don't forget that once someone gets into the DVC system, addonitis starts almost immediately. How long do you think a 50 point member can remain a 50 point member?

And don't forget that once someone gets into the DVC system, addonitis starts almost immediately. How long do you think a 50 point member can remain a 50 point member?

The first time they realize that with 25 more points they can stay XX more days for each vacation. :goodvibes

Almost..
We just added VGC for $93/pt ($4650 for 50), and dues on 50 points are less than $200. In addition, since you're talking add-ons, the requirement you stated is between 44 and 48 points. So, now the cost is $4092 plus $195 in fees.

Figure the $110/nt for the off site property will be taxed, and when the math is done you have roughly $4000 in addition outlay for the Grand.
($110, 2 nights, plus tax, less VGC annual fees).

Divide that by 50 years, and you are paying a premium of $80 per year to stay at the Grand.

I say well worth it!

Just another way to look at it..
MG

was that through Disney or resale? I cant get my guide to call me back...:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter